In desperate need of venting

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 01:46 PM
mthaze20

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry In desperate need of venting

HELP! I am loosing my mind. My sister crashed my '08 TL and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that its not a 'total'
Some pathfinder had to be a fu&*ing SUV) took a left turn on a red and she hit him.....

Before

after

Needless to say I'm devasated...
Old 11-22-2009, 02:39 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
wow, sorry to hear about that man, is your sis ok?

She turned on a red light? or the SUV did.

It def looks like a total to me.
Old 11-22-2009, 02:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,003 Likes on 1,423 Posts
that damage will easily exceed 8K. Insurance most likely won't total it, but after the repairs I'll doubt it'll drive the same. Just be glad your sister is okay, stuff happens and materials can be replaced, but the love and devotion that a sister has can never be replaced.

Just to think about it, could you imagine not having a sister to call, meet with during family holidays or even just hang out with? I know I couldn't with my siblings.
Old 11-22-2009, 06:30 PM
2008 Acura TL Type-S

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I hope your sister is OK. That really sucks!

That's going to be a hellacious repair bill, but probably won't total the car. You're almost better off having it totaled, though (assuming you owe less on it than what your insurance will give you), because that car for sure won't ever drive the same.

Did any of the airbags deploy?
Old 11-22-2009, 06:43 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
Ouch! Hope your sister is okay. Damage looks extensive, but may not be enough to total the car. Hope it all works out for you. I'd be devastated too.
Old 11-22-2009, 06:46 PM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 433 Likes on 319 Posts
Hope you're all OK.

Nonetheless, that won't total it, but with a good mechanic, everything should almost be back to normal. I would go to a dealership to fix this as they have warranty, but you'll probably have some headache bringing it back a few times to get stuff done when it should've been done right in the beginning. Only if you lived here, I could get that fixed perfectly and at a low price. Had someone have the same damage on their ISF and the same repair shop here repaired it and has been running for 30k flawlessly without the customer ever complaining or even bringing it back and they pocketed 2.5k.
Old 11-22-2009, 06:57 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,485 Likes on 1,049 Posts
Ouch, that really sucks. Try your best to get insurance to total it and get another TL, but if you can't, do your best to find a good repair shop. Just because insurance recommends a shop doesn't mean it's the best one. Remember they're paying for the damage. Look at all the repair shops in your area, see who has the best customer satisfaction, and talk to them.

Even if you take it to a dealer, be wary. I took my car to a dealer to get repaired when I got sideswiped and they effed up on a lot of things. Paint matching was okay, but first time around they didn't install the mirror properly, window trim was flimsy, and the window would not roll up all the way. Next time I got it back the auto-up window still wasn't working well.

There are definetely good dealers and repair shops around. The trick is finding them. If you do, then great, your car will come back new. And trust me, nothing is better than the feeling of your car sitting in the lot looking like new again.
Old 11-29-2009, 10:15 PM
mthaze20

Originally Posted by Islandsnowz
wow, sorry to hear about that man, is your sis ok?

She turned on a red light? or the SUV did.

It def looks like a total to me.

She was going straight (right of way) wth a green light. The SUV was turning left. There's no way its her fault. But shit happens
Old 11-29-2009, 10:33 PM
mthaze20

Unhappy

Originally Posted by csmeance
that damage will easily exceed 8K. Insurance most likely won't total it, but after the repairs I'll doubt it'll drive the same. Just be glad your sister is okay, stuff happens and materials can be replaced, but the love and devotion that a sister has can never be replaced.

Just to think about it, could you imagine not having a sister to call, meet with during family holidays or even just hang out with? I know I couldn't with my siblings.
Originally Posted by arrogantbastard
I hope your sister is OK. That really sucks!

That's going to be a hellacious repair bill, but probably won't total the car. You're almost better off having it totaled, though (assuming you owe less on it than what your insurance will give you), because that car for sure won't ever drive the same.

Did any of the airbags deploy?

The bill is up too 17K.......

Old 11-30-2009, 01:02 AM
7th Gear

thats how mine looked like but on the other side
luckily mine wasnt a total
good luck
Old 11-30-2009, 02:45 AM
mthaze20

Originally Posted by vinnievelardi
thats how mine looked like but on the other side
luckily mine wasnt a total
good luck

sorry for your loss.....hows it driving after? What was your repair bill? Im really concerned here.
Old 11-30-2009, 03:52 AM
mthaze20

the sadest part......

Originally Posted by mhaze20
sorry for your loss.....hows it driving after? What was your repair bill? Im really concerned here.

Im confident they'll do a great job. But its the time away from her that kills me. And its not the first time. The first time was me eating crap playing with the iphone, texting, and I hit the side of a barricade. TOTALLY MY FAULT. But the dealer/collision center (Pines Collision) that best. Slow but good. And the second time, some bitch in an Odyssey turns left on a red. I think the car is cursed dude.....I had never been in these accidents.....heres some pics from accident no. 2

Old 11-30-2009, 07:35 AM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts
That's totaled man. Sorry to say there is a lot of damage under the skin that will cost a lot. If you say they are up to $17k, well a 08 TL is only worth around 25k depending on mileage and stuff. So you are already knocking on the door for it being totaled.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:03 AM
Make it so

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
Thumbs up

First off, I'm glad your sister is ok. That's what really matters, especially because losing a family member like that during the holidays would be nothing short of awful.

The car looks pretty totaled. I agree, if they're already estimating at $17k then you're better off just buying another TL. Sure, it's not the same, but you should be able to salvage some parts you had customized (if you had on there) to stick on a new TL.

Last, I have to say- my heart died a little when I saw the pictures. It makes me that much more paranoid to make sure this doesn't happen to my TL, but like it was mentioned, crap happens and you can't change the behavior of some stupid drivers out there.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:17 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts
From this pic, it looks like your sister got hit by a Escalade, not a Pathfinder.
Old 11-30-2009, 01:15 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
Probably not totalled but if it was me I'd wish it was.. glad your sister is okay. Don't text while driving.. I don't even like talking on the phone while driving even with HFS.
Old 12-01-2009, 09:15 PM
mthaze20

Originally Posted by paz840
From this pic, it looks like your sister got hit by a Escalade, not a Pathfinder.

yeah it does but this is at the collision center the after.
Old 12-01-2009, 09:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
That car is totaled. Do you really want to drive around in a car that had been in an accident like that. No matter what someone says, it will never be like it was before the crash. It may look the same, but you have to consider it is your life and if the car gets hit again how well will it far in that crash.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 12-01-2009, 09:33 PM
mthaze20

OK, so we're shotting for December 20th.....

The people at the shop are either tired of me and want to get rid of me, or their going to return my car in a distraught condition.....I don't care.....IM SO EXCITED!!!!! Worse case, its a lease. I'll terminate early........But what to get next? TSX v6 or another '08 TL? are there even any left that are new?

Either way, I won't last....they gave me an AMERICAN car as a rental....(I just threw up a little in my mouth there)

Im driving a Chevy Cobalt....hold your breath guys.....It has aluminum finish 16s and a sunroof. Oh, and a weird sub in he trunk.....

Old 12-01-2009, 09:35 PM
mthaze20

Originally Posted by paz840

Did I show you the pathfinder?....if not

Old 12-01-2009, 09:40 PM
mthaze20

Unhappy

Originally Posted by pimpin-tl
That's totaled man. Sorry to say there is a lot of damage under the skin that will cost a lot. If you say they are up to $17k, well a 08 TL is only worth around 25k depending on mileage and stuff. So you are already knocking on the door for it being totaled.

I really really hope your wrong. no offense,,,,,I know what your saying makes sense. I'm going to let them fix it. I'll keep you posted. Sad part is this is the first car I've EVER fallen in love with.

Old 12-01-2009, 09:43 PM
mthaze20

Originally Posted by AM TL
That car is totaled. Do you really want to drive around in a car that had been in an accident like that. No matter what someone says, it will never be like it was before the crash. It may look the same, but you have to consider it is your life and if the car gets hit again how well will it far in that crash.

Just my 2 cents.
your two cents greatly appreciated. But this is the seond time. Its amazing the way they repair these. I'll keep you posted.
Old 12-01-2009, 09:44 PM
mthaze20

the culprit

Originally Posted by Majofo
Probably not totalled but if it was me I'd wish it was.. glad your sister is okay. Don't text while driving.. I don't even like talking on the phone while driving even with HFS.
would you eve think this is the face of evil?

Old 12-01-2009, 09:53 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
Originally Posted by pimpin-tl
If he has taken it to the shop and they are working on it, there is very little chance of them totalling it out that this point.

My car is in the shop with $6K of damage on a car worth $10K and they did not total it. Should be ready sometime next week. (They are wating on the front subframe from Acura)

OP, I feel ur pain man as my rental car is a craptastic checy cobalt.......
Old 12-01-2009, 10:14 PM
mthaze20

Im confident they'll do a great job. But its the time away from her that kills me. And its not the first time. The first time was me eating crap playing with the iphone, texting, and I hit the side of a barricade. TOTALLY MY FAULT. But the dealer/collision center (Pines Collision) that best. Slow but good. And the second time, some bitch in an Odyssey turns left on a red. I think the car is cursed dude.....I had never been in these accidents.....heres some pics from accident no. 2

this bill was only seven grand......they did AMAZING work......car was PERFECT
Old 12-02-2009, 09:07 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
A dependable shop will return it to original condition with no problems. Years ago, a friend of mine did a Speical Edition Porsche Boxster (850 miles) that had $38,000 worth of damage. After it was finished you couldn't tell it was in an accident, except for the title/Carfax. Certainly depends on the shop and quality of the employees, but hate to say, I don't have faith in too many body shops as they are a dime a dozen.
When a fellow lightly scratched the front right fender and bumper cover in her WDP TL, I was upfront with the shops. If they can't match the paint, don't do the job as I won't accept the car. Three declined, but the fourth did the job and it was perfect, better than new, as the front cover now matches the body.
Good luck with the repair, and some accidents are unavoidable, regardless of who might be driving.