Dead battery after only 2 weeks sitting?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2005 | 07:31 AM
Vroooooom....Vrooooooom!!

Question Dead battery after only 2 weeks sitting?

Hey guys,

I injured my clutch foot about 2 weeks ago and have been unable to drive my manual TL. I decided to at least go out and start her up and to my surprise the battery is dead.

I double checked to make sure everything was turned off, lights, interior lights, etc. yup. What gives? Does the TL only keep it charge for less than 2 weeks?

Should I jump start her? or will that damage the electrical components? I have a car battery charger that I was given for Christmas (slow charger) would that be the better bet. What all is reset in the car now that the battery is dead? Any info would be great.

This just really surprises me...I have never had a problem like this with any other car I've had.
Old 05-23-2005 | 07:48 AM
Suzuka Master

if i remember correctly there have been other people with simply bad batteries. you may want to take it to the dealer and see if it is a bad battery. it shouldn't harm your electrical components by doing a jump start - afterall, people have been doing this to cars for years, why would it cause a problem now?

as far as your reset things, i believe the navi/radio codes will need to be entered and you probably lost your radio presets. i am not sure if the phonebook from the HFL was lost as well. assuming you have navi, i don't think you would lose your address book.
Old 05-23-2005 | 08:26 AM
Kelnshe

Consider yourself lucky, PianoMan. My battery died 12 HOURS after I bought my car. It was in my garage overnight the day after I bought it, and when my wife went out to start it up the next day, it was dead as Jimmy Hoffa. I called my dealer and was told that they had a bad batch of Delco batteries, and they would bring a new one over and install it. I haven't had any problems in the 15 months I've owned it, so I guess this battery is OK. I'm expecting to have to replace it in winter of 2006, as I can't imagine getting through two winters with it.
Old 05-23-2005 | 10:42 AM
I'm Baaack!

kelnshe is correct, there was a batch of bad batteries out there, but I thought they'd have all been found by now ..

Call the dealer and let them know, you could also call Acura TLC and have them come out, they'll probably tow it back to the dealer to fix.
Old 05-23-2005 | 09:52 PM
Boondocks fanatic.....

Originally Posted by vikrampatel
if i remember correctly there have been other people with simply bad batteries. you may want to take it to the dealer and see if it is a bad battery. it shouldn't harm your electrical components by doing a jump start - afterall, people have been doing this to cars for years, why would it cause a problem now?

as far as your reset things, i believe the navi/radio codes will need to be entered and you probably lost your radio presets. i am not sure if the phonebook from the HFL was lost as well. assuming you have navi, i don't think you would lose your address book.
You shouldn't have to reset your radio codes. I had to take out the battery when I upgraded my foglights to sylvania units (The stock lights look horrible). I put the battery back in and went through thinking that I would have to reset everything and to my surprise, all of my satellite radio presets were still there.
Old 05-24-2005 | 05:53 PM
Racer

I replaced my battery with a Yellow top type battery and mine still dies after around 2-3 days sitting.

There have been numerous "patch" fixes. One said to remove two fuses in the car. #7 and #23 maybe? Not sure there is a whole LOT of threads with this if you search.

The REAL fix apparently is that you have to have the Navi screen replaced.

I will just keep jumping my car I guess.

Ryan
Old 06-21-2005 | 03:48 AM
Drifting

My dealer has a RL with a battery issue. The car only has a problem when parked at the airport. The battery goes dead at the airport. When the car is at the dealership, or at the guys home, the battery is OK. Since I'm a pilot, the mechanic called me to inquire about the RF signals at the airport. The guy has had the problem at 2 different airports all with different frequency's for the Tower and VOR. They are going crazy trying to figure out where the problem is coming from. They have had Acura Factory Tech people trying to figure out what's causing the battery to die but no luck so far. All this high-tech stuff on the new cars is great, but it causes a lot of problems. Technology is strange!!
Old 06-21-2005 | 11:49 PM
bef
Anthracite Quartz

As posted elsewhere, I've had my battery die a few times and the dealer replaced the battery. They claim no knowledge of the flatline problem. I still have the flatline problem and I periodically pull the #7 fuse (I've installed an Add-A-Fuse adapter to make it easier to pull the fuse out and insert it again) to reset the OTA.
I've had the flatline twice in the last week. I reset it this morning because it seemed like the car hesitated while starting and I'm tired of recharging the battery after it dies.

It's sad to say that the scariest part of an airplane trip is trying to start the TL at the airport.