Crazy Foglight?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 01:05 AM
I have car ADD

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
Crazy Foglight?

So,

I've got the Texon H8 8500K Fog kit installed on my car, for just a few days over 1 year.... never had a problem with it... the kit included 2 relays/fuse, one for each fog light... NEVER had a problem, and i run my headlights on during the day (cause they look so good)

Anyways, about 2 weeks ago.. my neighbor calls me, and tells me that one of my foglights are on?? my car was parked for hours and one foglight randomly turned on...

since them, it would flicker on ignition once in a while...

Today, it flickers, and wont ignite....

My question, before i start ordering replacement parts to fix it... do you guys think thats the bulb or the ballast? i know, i should check the fuse, im gonna do it tomorrow (too tired now, and its dark out).... but has this happened to anybody else?... the bulb flickers , so it must be good, but it wont ignite...

and i did the install, and i did a really good job... so im sure the wiring is good, and the relay didnt get wet
Old 04-28-2009, 09:47 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
definitely ballast..
Old 04-28-2009, 10:35 AM
JnC
Former Sponsor

Received 351 Likes on 227 Posts
Your ballasts are fine but relay is toast. Most kit harnesses are made with cheap relays, relay sockets etc etc.

Here is what can happens due to faulty sockets and relays

Originally Posted by code2medic
Well in Feb. of this year My car was parked in the garage all day with no problems. At 1110 at night I get ready for work and the remote start alert me at which time I went to look what was going on.

Fire in the garage. I run inside and the car is on fire and burning good near the passenger headlight.

I have video of it but not on my laptop from when it started to the point the fire was put out.

Fire investigators for SF and the FD determined it was the HID's on that side. Never had a problem with them for the time I have them except a few Cosmetic things but that is not that point.

Just watch you wiring and make sure its all up to par. Cause the Insurance company wanted to go after the place that did the work but I refused to tell them who did it and said i did

Here are the end results after wards

I strongly recommend not using kits but if you really need to fix this problem then replace the harness or just replace the relay with a bosch/tyco relay.

Here is where you can just buy the relay from

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...TOKEN=96252166
Old 04-28-2009, 10:43 AM

I tried searching and I couldn't find any documentation on the Texon H8 kit. Anyways if you have chance can you pull the specs like the P/N from the Ballast and bulbs. There are two main types of electronic ballast and one is much better but the other is much cheaper. There are also several types of HID lamps. Sodium lamps for instance have high output but also have great voltage fluctuation as it ages as the pressure changes and arc voltages jumps which could stress components within the ballast. These ballasts can fail for many reasons though, including shock from normal driving conditions, low voltage or over voltages that can destroy diodes, caps & controller components.. also feedback and cycling stress.

These electronic ballast are not real sophisticated but do have feedback control. If you say they are flickering then one of the current sensing components or feedback components to the controller may be toast. I would at least take it apart. Check all the solder connections, test the resistor packs, and test the values on all the res & caps just to verify the passive components are okay. I would also test for continuity of the diodes. That will at least narrow down your sources of failure.. If you're unable to determine what has failed then I would retouch the solder points just for a sanity check and try to fire it up again with a new bulb. Listen for any high freq sound. If it still doesn't fire up then replace the fets, after that your choices become expensive and you'd probably be able to buy a new ballast / or make a new one cheaper than trying to fix that one. Most of these ballast may look complicated but they're really no more than $40 in components.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:55 AM

^ holy crap.. what was that? an Intrepid? damn.. definitely install supporting hardware for whatever you add to the car. Many of these kits as JnC said don't add these features. It could be the relay but the flickering sounds like a problem with the ballast.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:53 PM
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
As JnC said, its your relay, relay failed, sending constant power to the ballast keeping your light on.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:57 PM
SlammedOnKonis

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Why don't you just buy the $25 relay from ebay. It comes pre-wired...I've had mine for a couple months and haven't had any problems.
Old 04-28-2009, 06:43 PM
I have car ADD

thanks for the info guys...

there is a white powdery residue on the relay for the foglight that is acting up...

i will probably contact texon, since it was an insulated, plug and plug relay... i dont want to hackjob, or wire up my own relay.... this was WAS dangling a little low, and MIGHT have gotten splashed with some water... plus, i recently found a car wash, that accomodates lowered cars, and they offer an undercarriage bath... which might have led to water getting on the relay....
Old 04-28-2009, 06:54 PM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Received 127 Likes on 88 Posts
Easy fix, just swap out relay with another BOSCH 30 or 40 AMP and you're good to go!

Its very common for North East cars to have this happen over a period of time due to the snow and salt buildup. I had the same issue, and relay fixed it.

The bulb flickering is a sign that its trying to light but not getting enough juice. After Ground, relay is the next culprit.
Old 04-28-2009, 06:57 PM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Received 127 Likes on 88 Posts
IF you get another relay wiring is simple:

Pin 30 from +Battery
Pin 85 is + Trigger
Pin 86 is Ground
Pin 87 should be 2 wires supplying power to both ballasts.

*If you have a 5th pin '87a' leave it empty or snip the wire off*
Old 04-28-2009, 08:59 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BLACKURA_NY

there is a white powdery residue on the relay for the foglight that is acting up...

i will probably contact texon, since it was an insulated, plug and plug relay... i dont want to hackjob, or wire up my own relay.... this was WAS dangling a little low, and MIGHT have gotten splashed with some water... plus, i recently found a car wash, that accomodates lowered cars, and they offer an undercarriage bath... which might have led to water getting on the relay....
is it call sonic carwash? in jerrico?

try getting a new relay first... it is the cheapest part. then work ur way up...
let us know what happens...
Old 04-29-2009, 01:03 AM
I have car ADD

Originally Posted by lenjaiah

try getting a new relay first... it is the cheapest part. then work ur way up...
Sonic CarWash... the GREATEST car wash in the world!! they take their time, do a good job.... takes about 20-30 minutes for a wash though... worth every penny !!

yea i am ordering a new relay today
Old 04-29-2009, 11:56 AM
A-spec steering wheel ftw

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by BLACKURA_NY

Originally Posted by lenjaiah

the Hand Car Wash place in Old Westbury is also pretty decent

let us know how it turns out Al, don't let your car burn