Cracked dash removal-2005 TL

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 05:13 PM
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 3 Posts
Cracked dash removal-2005 TL

anyone know where to get the instructions or have a video of how to romove the entire dash pad from the car? i have a 2005 acura tl non navi

Popular Reply

04-01-2014, 06:26 AM
04WDPSeDaN
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Just here to clear up some Information. I previously worked as a certified Acura technician and been up to date with this issue since 2009, this issue is a manufacture defect. Let me stress this, it will happen EVENTUALLY to almost every 3rd gen TL. It has happened to many 07-08 TL base and type-a models. Cracks almost always form in the same location. Most common on the right side of passenger airbag and center speaker to the top of the gauge cluster area. Over time they will spread, they will form elsewhere, there's no simple fix. Temp difference is the killer of all. With super cold temps, the dash is put through extreme contraction, and the heat expands the dash.

Those know this very well in winter seasons, with defrost vents blowing super hot air most cracks shrink (Dashboard expands, closing cracks). The vinyl dash becomes brittle over time and can't handle the constant expansion and contracting therefore it cracks. With anything extreme, high heat-blistering cold will put stress on any dash. Bumps and vibrations "can" cause a crack to form but only hen the stress levels are at that breaking point. It's a defect, Acura knows and will do little to help. The right way is replacing the dash. Go file a claim with Acura customer service (corporate), take it to the dealership and start the long process of goodwill assistance.

Not everyone will get help, not everyone will get the same offer. Dashboard are now limited. This car isn't made anymore. For those that get their dashboards replaced , it will happen again. They never changed the design or material. I can tell you my dashboard was just replaced under goodwill assistance. 70/30 to be exact. Engineers have said never to put any type of cleaner or conditioner on these dashes since they "breathe".

It's plausible since most "ash" look dashboard don't have cracks (most, not all) while those that have been cleaned and protected (303, armor all, vinyl cleaner) have formed cracks. Also, vehicles garages kept, sun shade, windows cracked open Ect Ect have still formed cracks. Best of luck to all that have this issue.

As for your (Fiberglass) Solution, my main concern is the function of the passenger side airbag. The dashboard has a cut-out from underneath to allow the airbag to deploy. The removal of the dashboard (For the most part) Is pretty straight forward.

-Entire center console: Radio, ash tray, center vent.
-Glove box assembly
-Gauge cluster and trim
-knee booster panel
-Side panels going to glove box and ignition
-A-pillars
-Center speaker and tweeters
-End dash vents
-Disconnect any harness connectors under the dash
-when you open up the doors, there are 3 rubber plugs on the frame looking to the dashboard. Remove them and there will be bolts holding the dashboard to the sides of the car
-There are 2x-4x-6x bolts hidden behind the wiring harness holding the dash to the windshield (Hardest part of the job)
-By where the ash tray is, there are i think 2 bolts that need to be removed.
-When you remove the dashboard you remove it with the metal brace bar that runs from one side to another and it will have the harness attached with the airbag and the vent tubes for HVAC. You need to swap that over to the new dashboard. Get someone to help you remove it.

It will take you roughly 6-8 hours. For those that have done it roughly 4 or less.
Old 03-13-2014, 06:22 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
good question...my dash starting to crack. its really annoying me
Old 03-13-2014, 08:34 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
yep mines cracked, id imagine you would need to remove the whole dash
Old 03-18-2014, 04:47 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by DrTynanol
yep mines cracked, id imagine you would need to remove the whole dash
lol thats kinda the point of my post ive got everything removed but the dash and i dont wana keep going without knowing what im doing =-p sooooooooo im looking for a manual or some instructions maybe
Old 03-18-2014, 05:28 PM
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by mrfr3sh2d3ff
lol thats kinda the point of my post ive got everything removed but the dash and i dont wana keep going without knowing what im doing =-p sooooooooo im looking for a manual or some instructions maybe
noob question... how does a dash crack?
Old 03-19-2014, 08:13 AM
Drifting

Received 591 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by pearl905
Heat, age, magic.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:37 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jackass
Heat, age, magic.
cracked as in split or just making crackling sounds?
Old 03-19-2014, 03:27 PM
KCCO

Received 192 Likes on 173 Posts
As in split. It's not a common occurrence with our TL's, but it has happened to more TL's than I'm comfortable with.
Old 03-19-2014, 06:32 PM
Instructor

that's some bull-ish
Old 03-19-2014, 06:38 PM
Instructor

wat are u planning on doing anyway? replace the whole piece?
Old 03-27-2014, 06:33 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by pearl905
dashes crack from expanding and contracting in heat as well as drying of material. i have everything taken out of the dash and i just want to make sure i get all the bolts and ties out before i go pulling on it and mess something up. the only noob question is one thats not asked because once you learn something then you have knowledge and there nothing about learning that makes you a noob
Old 03-27-2014, 06:35 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by DrTynanol
wat are u planning on doing anyway? replace the whole piece?
im not replacing it im taking it out and fiberglassing it and then im going to paint it nbp along with the rest of the black panels in the car
Old 03-31-2014, 10:04 PM
Instructor

im not replacing it im taking it out and fiberglassing it and then im going to paint it nbp along with the rest of the black panels in the car
sounds sick, keep us updated
Old 04-01-2014, 06:26 AM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Just here to clear up some Information. I previously worked as a certified Acura technician and been up to date with this issue since 2009, this issue is a manufacture defect. Let me stress this, it will happen EVENTUALLY to almost every 3rd gen TL. It has happened to many 07-08 TL base and type-a models. Cracks almost always form in the same location. Most common on the right side of passenger airbag and center speaker to the top of the gauge cluster area. Over time they will spread, they will form elsewhere, there's no simple fix. Temp difference is the killer of all. With super cold temps, the dash is put through extreme contraction, and the heat expands the dash.

Those know this very well in winter seasons, with defrost vents blowing super hot air most cracks shrink (Dashboard expands, closing cracks). The vinyl dash becomes brittle over time and can't handle the constant expansion and contracting therefore it cracks. With anything extreme, high heat-blistering cold will put stress on any dash. Bumps and vibrations "can" cause a crack to form but only hen the stress levels are at that breaking point. It's a defect, Acura knows and will do little to help. The right way is replacing the dash. Go file a claim with Acura customer service (corporate), take it to the dealership and start the long process of goodwill assistance.

Not everyone will get help, not everyone will get the same offer. Dashboard are now limited. This car isn't made anymore. For those that get their dashboards replaced , it will happen again. They never changed the design or material. I can tell you my dashboard was just replaced under goodwill assistance. 70/30 to be exact. Engineers have said never to put any type of cleaner or conditioner on these dashes since they "breathe".

It's plausible since most "ash" look dashboard don't have cracks (most, not all) while those that have been cleaned and protected (303, armor all, vinyl cleaner) have formed cracks. Also, vehicles garages kept, sun shade, windows cracked open Ect Ect have still formed cracks. Best of luck to all that have this issue.

As for your (Fiberglass) Solution, my main concern is the function of the passenger side airbag. The dashboard has a cut-out from underneath to allow the airbag to deploy. The removal of the dashboard (For the most part) Is pretty straight forward.

-Glove box assembly
-Gauge cluster and trim
-knee booster panel
-A-pillars
-End dash vents
-when you open up the doors, there are 3 rubber plugs on the frame looking to the dashboard. Remove them and there will be bolts holding the dashboard to the sides of the car
-There are 2x-4x-6x bolts hidden behind the wiring harness holding the dash to the windshield (Hardest part of the job)
-When you remove the dashboard you remove it with the metal brace bar that runs from one side to another and it will have the harness attached with the airbag and the vent tubes for HVAC. You need to swap that over to the new dashboard. Get someone to help you remove it.

It will take you roughly 6-8 hours. For those that have done it roughly 4 or less.

Last edited by 04WDPSeDaN; 04-01-2014 at 06:34 AM.
The following 11 users liked this post by 04WDPSeDaN:
EvilVirus (02-24-2017), glennjr15 (04-24-2014), Hank3 (01-29-2019), jordammit (01-03-2020), nist7 (07-26-2020), omari (06-05-2021), satorie (05-07-2017), TexasKaren (09-08-2016), triax37 (04-02-2014), USNA93 (02-08-2018), vaisvilas (01-04-2019) and 6 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-01-2014, 07:51 AM
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Does the steering wheel need to be removed as well?
Old 04-01-2014, 01:49 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Originally Posted by djdonte
Does the steering wheel need to be removed as well?
you can drop the column and let it sit on the floor or if the wheel still gets in the way just remove it.
The following users liked this post:
oneworldforall (04-02-2014)
Old 04-01-2014, 11:41 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 04WDPSeDaN

so what your saying is its inevitable and its not worth fixing and we're screwed
Old 04-02-2014, 04:33 AM
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

-Glove box assembly
-Gauge cluster and trim
-knee booster panel
-A-pillars
-End dash vents

Thanks for stepping up and clearing that up about acura. Now I can confirm to everyone who tells me I didn't take care of my dash. It is sort of insulting for someone who had been maintaining his car. There is even a facebook about the cracked TL dash and how Acura is ignoring it.
Everyone who looks at the inside of my car notices it within 5 seconds. it has gotten worse and irritates me more and more. It also messes up the resale value of the car which sucks more for those who spent time and money to maintain the car's cosmetic. Now knowing the hours it would take I can see how a buyer would use it to negotiate the value of my car down by $1k to $2k. So it is worth it to try to dig for a new one to purchase at about $400 to $900 according to what I had seen within this past week. Or if lucky as you mentioned in "goodwill", Acura will fix it for as low as $200. If not, some people on this site reported being invoiced $2000. I will make the attempt myself but if I get quoted $2000, I will tell Acura "A-C-U-NARA" (small play on wording with "I'll see you na ra" instead of the Japanese Sayonara...) because I could do a lot more than replacing a dash with that much money. But then again, some people are not mechanically comfortable. Either way, I feel ripped off by Acura of the time and/or Money I will have to spend to fix it instead of enjoying my weekend had I bought a car from a different brand who are able to get a dash panel right! Thanks again for confirming the defect.
glennjr15 (04-24-2014)
Old 04-02-2014, 04:40 AM
4th Gear

One more Important question I have for you, 04WDPSeDaN. I read some post about TL drivers who are worried about a cracked dash and the Airbag functionality. Do you know if it has caused safety issues or has there been any related instances where the crack Airbag could had been part of safety concerns?
Old 04-02-2014, 06:04 AM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Originally Posted by oneworldforall
Thanks for stepping up and clearing that up about acura. Now I can confirm to everyone who tells me I didn't take care of my dash. It is sort of insulting for someone who had been maintaining his car. There is even a facebook about the cracked TL dash and how Acura is ignoring it.
Everyone who looks at the inside of my car notices it within 5 seconds. it has gotten worse and irritates me more and more. It also messes up the resale value of the car which sucks more for those who spent time and money to maintain the car's cosmetic. Now knowing the hours it would take I can see how a buyer would use it to negotiate the value of my car down by $1k to $2k. So it is worth it to try to dig for a new one to purchase at about $400 to $900 according to what I had seen within this past week. Or if lucky as you mentioned in "goodwill", Acura will fix it for as low as $200. If not, some people on this site reported being invoiced $2000. I will make the attempt myself but if I get quoted $2000, I will tell Acura "A-C-U-NARA" (small play on wording with "I'll see you na ra" instead of the Japanese Sayonara...) because I could do a lot more than replacing a dash with that much money. But then again, some people are not mechanically comfortable. Either way, I feel ripped off by Acura of the time and/or Money I will have to spend to fix it instead of enjoying my weekend had I bought a car from a different brand who are able to get a dash panel right! Thanks again for confirming the defect.
I would go to as many dealerships and see what kind of offer they provide. If they say $200-$750 for the dash to be replaced, I'd say yes. Just as in my situation, my car is super clean and almost flawless for an 04. I've been using conditioner on my dashboard every weekend. It still ended up cracking.

Originally Posted by oneworldforall
One more Important question I have for you, 04WDPSeDaN. I read some post about TL drivers who are worried about a cracked dash and the Airbag functionality. Do you know if it has caused safety issues or has there been any related instances where the crack Airbag could had been part of safety concerns?
The airbag still functions as it should. This would have been the deal breaker for all 3rd gen TL owners. If it truly posed a safety issue, there would have been a recall.
Old 04-24-2014, 11:25 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Add me to the list of dashboard crack victims... It is INFURIATING!!!!
Old 06-04-2014, 12:53 PM
Advanced

awesome

yeah i did the goodwill and they wanted 500.00 so i told em to f off but yes i know about the airbag not being usable i might do a super thin coat of fiberglass over it to keep it usable but not sure have to do research and see if its safer just taking the airbag out. and thanks i had all the steps done except the airvents and the firewall i wasnt sure where to go from there.

-Glove box assembly
-Gauge cluster and trim
-knee booster panel
-A-pillars
-End dash vents

Old 02-18-2015, 12:40 PM
Advanced

ok guys so this is a really old thread but i wanted to clear some stuff up! i have the instructions for dash removal i have the entire service manual if anyone wants a copy pm me. also fibreglassing anything inside the car is a bad idea as it will warp from the heat so that a no go unless you plan on using as a show car and keeping it indoors all the time. but anyway free copy in pdf format for anyone that needs the 04-08 service manual for your tl.
The following 4 users liked this post by mrfr3sh2d3ff:
Gamecock93 (04-03-2017), nightryder21 (11-09-2017), patricknaj69 (01-31-2019), zsameer (02-19-2015)
Old 04-28-2015, 04:02 PM
1st Gear

Hello, I am wondering if I can get a copy of the service manual. I need to replace the dash airbag and haven't been able to find clear instruction on how to do this. My email address is birelasj@gmail.com I would really appreciate your help. Thank you
Old 04-29-2015, 02:54 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,412 Posts
Originally Posted by birelasj
Hello, I am wondering if I can get a copy of the service manual. I need to replace the dash airbag and haven't been able to find clear instruction on how to do this. My email address is birelasj@gmail.com I would really appreciate your help. Thank you
a guy posted a DIY here if you search for it,

To any members with a cracked dash, if you still have it I'm looking to buy one to mod
Old 05-13-2015, 09:53 PM
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by csmeance
a guy posted a DIY here if you search for it,

To any members with a cracked dash, if you still have it I'm looking to buy one to mod
I just bought a minty 2006 tl dash to cracks completely intacted. The one I have isn't as bad as some but would be willing to save it for you once I get it swapped out
Old 07-13-2015, 02:20 PM
1st Gear

Dash removal manual

Could you email me a copy of the dash removal manual? Really appreciate it, thanks. danielcia@live.com
Old 07-14-2015, 04:21 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
I've got 99 problems but a cracked dash ain't one..

Nice replies Gus!
04WDPSeDaN (06-12-2017)
Old 07-17-2015, 01:52 PM
Love My Ride!!!

Received 23 Likes on 1 Post
This may help.... good luck :-)

https://acurazine.com/forums/problem...images-909544/
Old 09-11-2015, 01:23 PM
1st Gear

Cracked dash

Has anyone tried to fix the cracks with epoxy? If so did it work? I have found two cracks around the edge of my airbag and I don't want to have to replace the whole dash if I can help it.
Old 09-11-2015, 01:31 PM
Love My Ride!!!

Received 23 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by lisann02
Has anyone tried to fix the cracks with epoxy? If so did it work? I have found two cracks around the edge of my airbag and I don't want to have to replace the whole dash if I can help it.

The two cracks are probably the beginning of many to come...
Old 09-11-2015, 01:34 PM
Racer

Received 102 Likes on 72 Posts
Epoxy won't work long-term. The dash is constantly expanding and contracting, as it heats up and cools down, so the epoxy will crack as well. The main solutions people have chosen are covering it up (search Coverlay) or replacing the whole thing. Good luck!
Old 08-19-2016, 11:30 AM
2nd Gear

I would like to get a copy of the service manual pages dealing with dash removal. Acura "goodwill" offered me $200 off of a $2,000 estimate on my '07 type S. (rocket1731@aol.com)
Old 12-06-2016, 04:47 PM
4th Gear

This just happened to my '04 TL after 12 years of ownership. The crack in my dash clearly outlines the location of the passenger side airbag, and I imagine it could affect proper airbag deployment since one area of the dash is now significantly weaker than the other. If you also think this could be a safety issue, you can add your voice to a list of concerned drivers here: Acura TL Air Bags - 2004 ACURA TL Problems With Air Bags

A summary of the linked site is below. Please repost in any appropriate forum if you want to get Acura's attention:

Car problem(s) with the 2004 ACURA TL. This database includes information received by NHTSA from consumers either directly or as recorded by the Vehicle Safety Hotline. This information may be used by NHTSA during the investigation process. You may file your own complaint by calling the NHTSA Monday-Friday 8am to 8pm at (888) 327-4236, TTY: (800) 424-9153. You can also file your complaint online.
Old 02-24-2017, 11:54 AM
1st Gear

05 TL Nav cracked dash

Bought service manual to see how involved changing entire dash. Complicated. Anyone try coverlay or dash cap brand overlay dash products? Tempted to try.
Old 02-24-2017, 03:47 PM
JBP
Cruisin'

I can't remember the brand, but I had an ABS plastic dash "shell" that actually looked pretty good, especially considering how relatively inexpensive it was compared to replacing the dash. I'm selling it in SoCal if anyone is interested. Go to this thread https://acurazine.com/forums/car-par...aining-958537/
Old 02-24-2017, 03:57 PM
Safety Car

Received 991 Likes on 748 Posts
The dash isn't that hard, just takes some time.
Old 03-03-2017, 11:17 AM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Dry good write up.

Im going to try and claim a safety issue with my destroyed dash. I also worked for the dealer and know the process. I'll make a thread if I succeed

-Glove box assembly
-Gauge cluster and trim
-knee booster panel
-A-pillars
-End dash vents

Old 03-17-2017, 02:52 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts
can anyone confirm if acura has actually helped a nd how you go about getting help. Ive never heard of "goodwill" from dealerships ive done all the work on my car except the timing belt and did that at a local shop. Im a noob with dealerships
Old 05-07-2017, 10:03 AM
4th Gear

I was sitting in my car last summer and Had just taken the sunshield down. Then, I heard that sickening long splitting sound. Ugh...known defect to cost 1/3 of the car's value of my 2006 TL??

Quick Reply: Cracked dash removal-2005 TL