Notices

Cold start misfire

 
Old 02-11-2013, 12:14 PM
  #41  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: 916
Posts: 31
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Turbonut View Post
Did they check the EGR valve?
I'm not sure about that. I'm taking it to the shop again for the 4th time today. i'm going to ask.
GuLuMoNeY is offline  
Old 02-13-2013, 06:51 AM
  #42  
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 3
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the same problem. Acura dealer told me it was normal and nothing to worry about. The scanned it for codes and there was no codes or pending codes.


I don't know if this is really normal as the car has 60 000miles and the problem just started, how is that normal?
daredevil514 is offline  
Old 02-13-2013, 09:58 AM
  #43  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: 916
Posts: 31
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by daredevil514 View Post
I have the same problem. Acura dealer told me it was normal and nothing to worry about. The scanned it for codes and there was no codes or pending codes.


I don't know if this is really normal as the car has 60 000miles and the problem just started, how is that normal?
interesting. mine is throwing codes though. i wouldn't care if it wasn't throwing codes. haha. but yea it has a shitty start!!
GuLuMoNeY is offline  
Old 02-14-2013, 08:14 PM
  #44  
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Port Coquitlam. BC. Canada
Posts: 4
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
new member here! i have an 05 tl and it does idle rough at start up first thing in the morning, but the CEL light does not come on. no codes or pending codes either
Kevy604 is offline  
Old 02-19-2013, 02:35 PM
  #45  
Registered Member
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 28
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
has anyone figure this out yet?
ortivt81 is offline  
Old 02-19-2013, 02:49 PM
  #46  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: 916
Posts: 31
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ortivt81 View Post
has anyone figure this out yet?
well i dropped it off last monday evening 2/11/13. they diagnosed saying it needed a valve job and sent the heads to a machine shop to have that done. i'm still waiting for the heads to return from the shop so he can install them and go from there. i dont know where he came up with that diagnosis but they are paying for it so if i get a fresh new set of heads then why not. after reading comment #29 on this link https://acurazine.com/forums/second-generation-rl-2005-2012-76/easy-replace-spark-plugs-looks-846245/ it may be just what it needed. once i find out more later this week i'll update again.
GuLuMoNeY is offline  
Old 02-20-2013, 09:59 AM
  #47  
Registered Member
 
3rdGenHybrid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Connecticut
Age: 33
Posts: 667
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Coming from a dealership point of view... And being trained by the Honda corporation, I can say no Hondas will misfire to warm up the engine or cat. There's probably no manufacture out there stupid enough to do this. It's easier to raise the idle. You can't monitor o2 readings on start up because the o2s aren't reading until the fuel system goes into closed loop. Higher mileage Hondas that HAVE a misfire on cold start up are usually cured with just a valve adjustment.(assuming plugs and coils are fine). If you feel you have a mis fire with no check engine light. Look at your map voltage. It should stay stable. When cold your looking at 1-1.2 stable bolts. Fully warmed up your looking at .95v stable. Look into bad engine mounts and or the notorious leaking sparkplug grommet in the valve cover. Usually numbers 2/5. It will sound like a loose valve tapping. When in reality it's compression sneaking by the loose spark plug.
3rdGenHybrid is offline  
The following users liked this post:
GuLuMoNeY (02-20-2013)
Old 02-20-2013, 10:42 AM
  #48  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: 916
Posts: 31
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 3rdGenHybrid View Post
Coming from a dealership point of view... And being trained by the Honda corporation, I can say no Hondas will misfire to warm up the engine or cat. There's probably no manufacture out there stupid enough to do this. It's easier to raise the idle. You can't monitor o2 readings on start up because the o2s aren't reading until the fuel system goes into closed loop. Higher mileage Hondas that HAVE a misfire on cold start up are usually cured with just a valve adjustment.(assuming plugs and coils are fine). If you feel you have a mis fire with no check engine light. Look at your map voltage. It should stay stable. When cold your looking at 1-1.2 stable bolts. Fully warmed up your looking at .95v stable. Look into bad engine mounts and or the notorious leaking sparkplug grommet in the valve cover. Usually numbers 2/5. It will sound like a loose valve tapping. When in reality it's compression sneaking by the loose spark plug.
Thanks for the info! Yeah i had a friend test the maf voltage, i guess your supposed to put it in drive also??? thats what i read from another forum a hondatech said. i believe my readings were still at 1.1 when the car was warm. they attempted a valve adjustment twice. thats what they told me. once again this is not an acura dealership, its a small mechanic shop behind a small dealer. about the spark plug grommet in the valve cover. i'll have to look into that. as of now they will be getting the heads back today/tomorrow morning and will put the motor back together. new spark plugs were put in, and some new coil packs, not all though, and they swapped one cat(not even a new cat a used cat was put in which is illegal but i didn't care if thats what was going to fix the problem, but it didnt). so idk what is wrong. i like my car but i'm not liking my experience with this whole situation. if this doesn't fix it i'll have to just contact the b.a.r. and try to get my money back. i do appreciate your feedback very much and i will let him know of this.

Thanks
GuLuMoNeY is offline  
Old 02-23-2013, 05:48 AM
  #49  
Registered Member
 
3rdGenHybrid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Connecticut
Age: 33
Posts: 667
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Testing MAP voltage should be done in park and all loads off. Of its not registering any misfires on the data list, not sure what else you tell you after that, but good luck!
3rdGenHybrid is offline  
Old 03-05-2015, 12:12 AM
  #50  
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 4
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 9632tl View Post
Hey guys. Just bought an 06 with 45,000 miles. Runs great except when I first start it in the morning. It seems to idle a bit rough for the first minute it so. What should I look into? Idle control?
I have a 2007 Acura RL with 152,000 miles which has been "misfiring" during a cold start ever since I bought it. I also have a 2002 Honda Odyssey with the similar J series V6 that also misfires at cold start up and the odyssey has 190,000 miles. When both of these cars warm up they run smooth as silk. I think this is normal ECU programming and you have nothing to worry about unless you have an engine light as mentioned by another person on this forum. Remember the Honda J Series V6 is a bulletproof design and will even "outlive" any other engine on the road.
AcuraRLJ35A8 is offline  
Old 02-24-2019, 06:41 PM
  #51  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Age: 50
Posts: 18
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by I hate cars View Post
I've read the paper on it already. I don't really hang out at smog shops often. I'm satisfied with what I read, if you really want proof, research it. I've never seen it online but I have seen it from what I consider a better source. What do I have to gain by lying about whether or not a car misfires when cold? It's not one of life's great questions mysteries.

I was talking with the guy just a month ago. He's now one of the "smog police", kind of on the other side of things now but we were going over some of this stuff and the misfires were brought up. That's what I hate in this day and time, you can read it in an official manual but if it's not online it's not true.
No, you're FULL OF SH*T in regard to this. Sorry.
No, the vehicle will NOT INTENTIONALLY misfire for a period of time "to warm the cats". You read that approximately NOWHERE. Please sell your tools.
JoJoB3 is offline  
Old 02-25-2019, 07:38 AM
  #52  
Late to the 3G Party
 
mdnborg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Chicago
Posts: 380
Received 180 Likes on 114 Posts
Originally Posted by JoJoB3 View Post
No, you're FULL OF SH*T in regard to this. Sorry.
No, the vehicle will NOT INTENTIONALLY misfire for a period of time "to warm the cats". You read that approximately NOWHERE. Please sell your tools.
Uhhhhh heads up, yes the TL does in fact misfire on cold starts to warm the catalytic converters up. It seems like you should sell your tools or get more familiar with Google. Quick to hurl out insults, even though you're wrong lol.

I look forward to your uneducated response.

Last edited by mdnborg; 02-25-2019 at 07:42 AM.
mdnborg is offline  
Old 03-01-2019, 02:30 AM
  #53  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Age: 50
Posts: 18
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mdnborg View Post
Uhhhhh heads up, yes the TL does in fact misfire on cold starts to warm the catalytic converters up. It seems like you should sell your tools or get more familiar with Google. Quick to hurl out insults, even though you're wrong lol.

I look forward to your uneducated response.
Uuuuhhh, you got yer heads up something alright. Bye.
JoJoB3 is offline  
Old 03-01-2019, 04:54 AM
  #54  
Late to the 3G Party
 
mdnborg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Chicago
Posts: 380
Received 180 Likes on 114 Posts
Originally Posted by JoJoB3 View Post
Uuuuhhh, you got yer heads up something alright. Bye.
Lmao you're the one that came in here claiming BS. If you know so much, please share.

Not sure why you are so convinced otherwise (or why you think you are right). Lots of cars do this. Not really that far-fetched.

Oh yeah, there's also this whole forum that will disagree with you.

Last edited by mdnborg; 03-01-2019 at 04:58 AM.
mdnborg is offline  
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
rockyboy
Second Generation RDX (2013-2018)
167
06-01-2019 11:11 AM
obert
Car Parts for Sale
45
12-14-2015 11:36 PM
theinsvnity
2G TL Problems & Fixes
2
09-10-2015 10:22 PM
jordanboi
Second Generation TSX Discussion (2009-2014)
16
09-05-2015 01:33 AM
dlknight
2G TL Problems & Fixes
4
09-03-2015 07:54 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cold start misfire


Contact Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.