Cold start issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 02:05 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Cold start issue

I tried to do a search but didn't come up with anything so I thought I'd ask (sorry if I missed it during my search). I have an '07 TL that I bought about 5 months ago and have about 3700 miles on it. From what I remember I didn't have this problem when I first bought the car, but have noticed in the past couple months. When I start my TL for the first time each day (so it's a true "cold start") my engine seems to idle high and rough enough that the car will vibrate and even momentarily shake at times. During this first start, the car will idle at about 1200 rpm. Reving the engine does not seem to help although if I let the car sit and run for 5-10 minutes it will eventually start to lower. However, this higher idling goes away quickly once I drive down the road and the car has a chance to switch gears. Then during subsequent starts the engine will idle at about 800 rpm. I live in the Phoenix area so temps never get really low, but this has seemed to coincide with the time when overnight temps started to get into the low 40s or so. Anyone else have this problem? I am going to mention it when I bring the car in for the first maintenance at about 5000 miles but thought I'd ask on here.
Old 02-10-2008, 12:33 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
If you ask the dealer, i bet they would give the "this is a normal characteristic of the car" line. And for once, i think i would have to agree with them, within limits. Living in New England, many of my mornings are cold and i'm used to the 5-minute rough/sluggish/cold car. You'll probably notice the transmission shifts more harshly, and the steering is more stiff, too, during especially cold mornings.

My understanding is, when the engine is really cold, it runs very rough until the parts can get well-oiled and warmed up into "proper fit", and while the cold, thick fluids can begin to flow more easily. The slower the engine runs, the rougher it makes it feel when cold, so it raises its idle to try to keep it smoother, and to warm it up sooner to reduce bad cold emissions and use less gas. This would be part of that whole speech on how it actively works to reduce emissions on startup. Its also pretty tough on a car to run cold, which is why they say many short trips in the cold is very bad... gets you lots of engine wear and terrible gas mileage.

Of course, if you feel the engine is running too rough for your comfort, by all means, express your concern to the dealer. I too have noticed my engine runs rougher than i feel it should, both when cold and when hot. But around here, i've found the dealers to be, well, quite "cold", and would not be up to the challenge of battling with them. I also noticed the engines on all the TL's i initially test drove seemed rough at first too.

In fact, my last car would even hold the rpms around 2000 for the first minute or so, and slowly settle down again.

Hope this helps. Good luck.
Old 02-11-2008, 12:23 AM
Intermediate

Although now live in the Phoenix area, I am originally from Wisconsin so I know all about cold weather!! So I do understand your point about it taking a little time with warming up and things being a little "rough" at first. However, there are two things. First, living in the Phoenix area, the lowest we have gotten has been into the 30s so we are not talking about below freezing temps. This doesn't seem to be a temp that the cold weather should really have too much of an effect. Second, I have had my car for about 5 months now and I didn't notice this until about the third month or so. I don't believe this is something that has been going on the whole time I have had my car. Who knows?

I agree though that I do not expect to get too far with the dealer and expect them to say exactly what you said they would. But I'll mention it anyways and see what they have to say. Overall, it's not a big deal since it hasn't seem to affect anything with the car. Thanks for your response.
Old 02-24-2008, 02:45 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Redmen34
I tried to do a search but didn't come up with anything so I thought I'd ask (sorry if I missed it during my search). I have an '07 TL that I bought about 5 months ago and have about 3700 miles on it. From what I remember I didn't have this problem when I first bought the car, but have noticed in the past couple months. When I start my TL for the first time each day (so it's a true "cold start") my engine seems to idle high and rough enough that the car will vibrate and even momentarily shake at times. During this first start, the car will idle at about 1200 rpm. Reving the engine does not seem to help although if I let the car sit and run for 5-10 minutes it will eventually start to lower. However, this higher idling goes away quickly once I drive down the road and the car has a chance to switch gears. Then during subsequent starts the engine will idle at about 800 rpm. I live in the Phoenix area so temps never get really low, but this has seemed to coincide with the time when overnight temps started to get into the low 40s or so. Anyone else have this problem? I am going to mention it when I bring the car in for the first maintenance at about 5000 miles but thought I'd ask on here.
Acura TL Power Steering Moans or Whines

TSB: 07-060

Applies To: 2004-07 Acura TL (ALL)

SYMPTOM
A moan or whine is heard when turning the steering wheel when the engine is cold. There may be air bubbles or foam in the power steering reservoir. The noise usually goes away when the engine warms up.

PROBABLE CAUSE
Air enters the power steering pump through the inlet joint O-ring.

CORRECTIVE ACTION
Replace the O-ring on the power steering pump inlet joint.

PARTS INFORMATION
O-ring: P/N 91345-RDA-A01

REQUIRED MATERIALS
Acura Power Steering Fluid: P/N 08206-9002 (One container repairs about 12 vehicles.)

WARRANTY CLAIM INFORMATION
In warranty: The normal warranty applies.
Operation Number: 5121B5
Flat Rate Time: 0.3 hour
Failed Part: P/N 91345-PAA-A01
Defect Code: 07408
Symptom Code: 04201
Template ID: 07-060A
Skill Level: Repair Technician

Out of warranty: Any repair performed after warranty expiration may be eligible for goodwill consideration by the District Parts and Service Manager or your Zone Office. You must request consideration, and get a decision, before starting work.
Old 04-24-2008, 11:02 PM
Intermediate

That is normal, my car does it too as well as my bike. Its pretty sure its the car automatically adjusting for cold starts. Its like when you put the choke on an engine with a carb. At first it idles really fast and rough, then when you take of the choke it smooths out and slows done. EFI just automatically adjusts this electronically.
Old 04-27-2008, 05:20 PM
practicing nihilist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Ulev

I read a lot about this when my baby was young. It's the Ultra Low Emission's Vehicle (ULEV) part of our cars trying to keep the emissions down on cold, rich starts.

I was raised to let cars warm up and still do this with my 06 5AT, but there's minimal to no harm driving off on a cold engine with new EFI systems.
Old 04-27-2008, 05:44 PM
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
yeah...i agree that's completely, 100%, absolutely, most definitely, correctively normal...trust me haha it really really really is...you're being...like me...haha NORMAL my good friend ^^
Old 04-27-2008, 06:32 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
check the owners manual
https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/...01_OMANUAL.asp
the old school let it warm in the driveway is BAD for our ULEV engines

Driving the car allows it to warm up much faster and get off the cold-rich circuit in the fuel injection computer
A minute or 2 and start driving. The auto-trans cars even hold 1st 2nd gear a little higher rpm and shift slightly rough when cold- by design of the system
Old 04-27-2008, 06:33 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
the other issue in this thread- the power steering, is now a recall action- get to the dealer- underhood fires are a bummer to say the least