Code P2138 and the aftereffects.

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 01:07 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Code P2138 and the aftereffects.

I was driving home one night, all of a sudden my dash board lit up and the car dropped rev's to 1-1.5k, not going about 10MPH. I notice a check engine light, and my car (07 TL-S) gave me the error code and it being related to the pedal position sensor.

After doing some research, I purchased
Amazon Amazon
and replaced it within 10 minutes with the help of some DIYs on Youtube. The check engine light went away which was a relief, but something surprised me even more..

With my old APS, the car would overall be jumpy, the worst would be applying gas when I light turns green. I had to be very careful or else the car would jump with the surge of RPMs, it just simply wasn't smooth at all. With the new APS installed, all of that is simply gone. Applying pressure on the pedal from a stop or when the light turns green now results in a very smooth take off, and the pedal/power output in general feels linear.

From my understanding, this is a wear part, and my car has quite a bit of miles (189k). If any of you are experiencing that jerky pedal, or have a good amount of miles and haven't gotten round to changing the APS, I advise you to look into it as it solved a very annoying issue I had with the car.
Old 05-15-2018, 01:14 PM
Latent car nut

Received 2,006 Likes on 1,408 Posts
Originally Posted by LightKiosk
I was driving home one night, all of a sudden my dash board lit up and the car dropped rev's to 1-1.5k, not going about 10MPH. I notice a check engine light, and my car (07 TL-S) gave me the error code and it being related to the pedal position sensor.

After doing some research, I purchased https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002IATXS0 and replaced it within 10 minutes with the help of some DIYs on Youtube. The check engine light went away which was a relief, but something surprised me even more..

With my old APS, the car would overall be jumpy, the worst would be applying gas when I light turns green. I had to be very careful or else the car would jump with the surge of RPMs, it just simply wasn't smooth at all. With the new APS installed, all of that is simply gone. Applying pressure on the pedal from a stop or when the light turns green now results in a very smooth take off, and the pedal/power output in general feels linear.

From my understanding, this is a wear part, and my car has quite a bit of miles (189k). If any of you are experiencing that jerky pedal, or have a good amount of miles and haven't gotten round to changing the APS, I advise you to look into it as it solved a very annoying issue I had with the car.
Automatic or 6MT?
Old 05-15-2018, 01:56 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by horseshoez
Automatic or 6MT?
Automatic