Clutch vibration

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 09:31 AM
All motor

Received 532 Likes on 395 Posts
Clutch vibration

I just noticed this within the past 2 days. As I ease on the gas and come off the clutch, when the clutch is about 75% out it vibrates slightly. It's not violent, just enough to notice. I don't know what this is or why it's doing it. I do occasionally shift hard, but not very often. I suppose I have been doing it more often this past month, but still nothing too crazy. I have 59K. Anyone?

Also, is this anything the SC check valve mod can fix? Or make better? I assume it has nothing at all to do with it, but it's worth a shot.
Old 05-24-2010, 09:42 AM
All motor

Vibration/Chatter....whatever you wanna call it. I know aftermarket clutches do this, but stock shouldn't...
Old 05-24-2010, 01:28 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
If your clutch does this when cold, and particularly on cool damp days when you first start out, it's not all together abnormal. I've seen this in other Honda products. If this is how it occurs, it should go away soon after taking off. However, if it happens all the time, it is most definitely not normal. Do you do anything which would fall under the heading of riding the clutch (holding car on hill with clutch, overreving when releasing or shifting into other gears, downshifting without rev-matching or double clutching)?
Old 05-24-2010, 01:41 PM
All motor

I've mis-shifted a few times, but who hasn't? When I was pulling in my driveway today it did it again and I have a wall on either side so everything is louder. I heard it chatter when I released it getting out of 1st gear. The weather is humid and most certainly not cold.

I have (less than a handful of times) just not paid attention and had the car bog to 25mph in 6th gear without pressing the clutch down. But that was last year, and everything has worked perfectly since. This is a very recent problem.

Thanks for the response.
Old 05-24-2010, 03:46 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Sonnick
I've mis-shifted a few times, but who hasn't? When I was pulling in my driveway today it did it again and I have a wall on either side so everything is louder. I heard it chatter when I released it getting out of 1st gear. The weather is humid and most certainly not cold.

I have (less than a handful of times) just not paid attention and had the car bog to 25mph in 6th gear without pressing the clutch down. But that was last year, and everything has worked perfectly since. This is a very recent problem.

Thanks for the response.
How often does this happen? You said, "I heard it chatter when I released it getting out of 1st gear". Do you mean releasing the clutch after moving the shifter from first to neutral (you were on your driveway), or were you shifting into another gear (hard to imagine if you were pulling into your driveway I would think)?

A miss-shift is not going to have anything to do with the clutch since the two components have nothing to do with one another. And yes, I'm sure we have all had that happen before - I know I have. And bogging the engine is not going to have any effect on the clutch either.

Could you give a more detailed explanation of what you are experiencing, please? So far, what you have described sounds like clutch chatter to me which would be felt as a mild to somewhat strong vibration as you are engaging the clutch.

Last edited by SouthernBoy; 05-24-2010 at 03:50 PM.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:18 PM
All motor

Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
How often does this happen? You said, "I heard it chatter when I released it getting out of 1st gear". Do you mean releasing the clutch after moving the shifter from first to neutral (you were on your driveway), or were you shifting into another gear (hard to imagine if you were pulling into your driveway I would think)?

A miss-shift is not going to have anything to do with the clutch since the two components have nothing to do with one another. And yes, I'm sure we have all had that happen before - I know I have. And bogging the engine is not going to have any effect on the clutch either.

Could you give a more detailed explanation of what you are experiencing, please? So far, what you have described sounds like clutch chatter to me which would be felt as a mild to somewhat strong vibration as you are engaging the clutch.
That's exactly what it feels like. It's when I'm coming from a stop in 1st gear, not when I'm changing gears. It actually didn't do it when I tried giving it slightly more gas on the initial "take off," but I'll see tomorrow. Thanks again man.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:02 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Sonnick
That's exactly what it feels like. It's when I'm coming from a stop in 1st gear, not when I'm changing gears. It actually didn't do it when I tried giving it slightly more gas on the initial "take off," but I'll see tomorrow. Thanks again man.
I think you mean "starting off from a stop in first gear"... right? If this is what it's doing, it should stop once there is some heat generated in the clutch assembly. Mine does this occasionally when I first take my car out in the morning and start off. If I add a little more throttle than normal, it won't happen and by the time I'm at the end of my street, it has stopped. I tends to only happen at certain temperatures and usually when there is dampness or after a rain (my car stays in my garage when not in use).

As I mentioned, I have encountered this with other Honda products. One of the reasons for this with our TL's is the fact that the clutch friction disk has a solid hub. In other words, there are no torque dissipation springs which also reduce/elimination chatter. To compensate for this, our flywheel is a dual-mass unit. This unit is heavier and separated from the disk. I suspect the chattering is coming from the dual-mass flywheel contact area when relatively light pressure is exerted by the pressure plate and the other conditions I mentioned, exist.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:10 AM
All motor

Yes, I meant "starting from a stop." Thank you!!

Sounds like it just is something that happens occasionally. I won't worry anymore, I appreciate it.
Old 05-25-2010, 10:47 AM
Under construction

Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts
Sonnick, is it a "creaking" sound..sorry don't know how to explain it? I had a similar noice from my clutch pedal everything I start off in 1st gear. I always thought the pedal/the metal part behind the pedal needed to be greased, idk if that would solve your problem? Mine just went away after a while..weird.
Old 05-25-2010, 11:10 AM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
the creaking is different. that comes from the clutch flork and it goes away when warmed up. could also be your master cylinder needing to be greased
Old 05-25-2010, 12:33 PM
Under construction

Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by phee
the creaking is different. that comes from the clutch flork and it goes away when warmed up. could also be your master cylinder needing to be greased
look at that, you've solved my problem lol

hope you find a solution sonnick! sorry i cant be of any help