clutch is slipping please help

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 09:15 AM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clutch is slipping please help

hey, i have a 06 acura tl 6spd, i got the car pre-owned certified less then a year ago and my clutch is already slipping. The car has only 43k miles on it, and this is my third manual car and i put over 80k on the rest and never had any trany problems. And oh ya i also have the 3rd gear problem too. I have 100k mile warranty on it from acura, what should i do? Thanks
Old 06-29-2010, 10:20 AM
8th Gear

oh and also my throw-out bearing is gone too i think, the car is making a squeaking sound, i thought it was the belts at first, but when i pop the hood and listen its coming from the bottom of the car, friend of mine told me to put in the clutch and listen if i still hear the sound and i dont, so when the clutch is out its makes the sound and when i push it in it doesnt.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:24 AM

Received 16,263 Likes on 11,973 Posts
Take it in to the acura dealer, let them check it out.
I'm not sure if your 100K warranty covers it. but at least let them diagnose the problem.

Or your local mechanic....

Then I would suggest reading SouthernBoy's post about manual transmissions.

Here is one thread appropriately named "clutch feel"
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/clutch-feel-781639/

also check out these threads.
"my clutch is starting to go"
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...rrect+shifting

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...rrect+shifting

https://acurazine.com/forums/car-talk-5/how-hard-learn-how-drive-stick-762841/

Last edited by justnspace; 06-29-2010 at 10:28 AM.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:46 AM
8th Gear

thanks for the help, i dont trust my dealer with something like this so im going to take it to my friend who was a mechanic for porsche for a long time and now has his own place, hopefully he can figure out whats going on and then ill take his diagnosis to the dealer. my main problem is that i bought the car less then a year ago and it has 43k miles on it now and my clutch is already out and its a acura i never thought the clutch would go out in a acura this soon. also its certified
Old 06-29-2010, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by basaraba
thanks for the help, i dont trust my dealer with something like this so im going to take it to my friend who was a mechanic for porsche for a long time and now has his own place, hopefully he can figure out whats going on and then ill take his diagnosis to the dealer. my main problem is that i bought the car less then a year ago and it has 43k miles on it now and my clutch is already out and its a acura i never thought the clutch would go out in a acura this soon. also its certified
that doesn't make sense....all cars and clutches go out if improperly driven. Since you are the 2nd owner ( i presume) there is no telling
how the first owner treated the car.

Please READ the links I provided. Southernboy has some great tips on regarding how to drive a MT properly.
Old 06-29-2010, 11:21 AM
8th Gear

well the reason i said that is because in my younger dumber days, when i had my last manual car i used to rag the crap out of it, i mean every week i was at the track constantly pushing it, every time i could i would gun it, you know late high school years fast and furious type crap, and it was a 04 nissan spec-v ser 6spd, BUT i baby the hell out of my acura, i never do anything crazy with it, but again you are right i dont know how the first owner treated it but there are baby car seat imprint on the back seat so i dont think he was racing it or anything
Old 06-29-2010, 11:23 AM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace
that doesn't make sense....all cars and clutches go out if improperly driven. Since you are the 2nd owner ( i presume) there is no telling
how the first owner treated the car.

Please READ the links I provided. Southernboy has some great tips on regarding how to drive a MT properly.
Thanks for the kind words, and you're right. Unless you know the person from whom you purchased the car, you really don't know how it was operated. For a clutch to start slipping at only 43,000 miles... Well unless there are mechanical problems beyond the owner's control, that most certainly would indicate improper operation.
Old 06-29-2010, 11:24 AM

well the reason i said that is because in my younger dumber days, when i had my last manual car i used to rag the crap out of it, i mean every week i was at the track constantly pushing it, every time i could i would gun it, you know late high school years fast and furious type crap, and it was a 04 nissan spec-v ser 6spd, BUT i baby the hell out of my acura, i never do anything crazy with it, but again you are right i dont know how the first owner treated it but there are baby car seat imprint on the back seat so i dont think he was racing it or anything
That doesn't matter.
if the previous owner didn't know how to properly drive a 6m/t then you're in for trouble.

Have you read the links I provided? People have lots of bad habits driving stick. Read the threads and learn how to properly drive your car.
Old 06-29-2010, 11:28 AM
Registered Member

hey, i have a 06 acura tl 6spd, i got the car pre-owned certified less then a year ago and my clutch is already slipping. The car has only 43k miles on it, and this is my third manual car and i put over 80k on the rest and never had any trany problems. And oh ya i also have the 3rd gear problem too. I have 100k mile warranty on it from acura, what should i do? Thanks
It is very simple to tell if your clutch is slipping and I am going to assume you know this already. If not, just ask.

The 3rd gear problem is covered under a TSB. If it is not severe, you might want to consider just doing a drain and fill of your transmission fluid with General Motors Synchromesh Friction Modified fluid (part #12377916).

As for your release bearing, that will usually make a squeaking sound if it is failing. You need to get that replaced if it is.

As justnspace suggested, definitely take it into your dealer since you have a warranty and be firm about getting things fixed. Let us know how it comes out for you.
Old 06-29-2010, 11:30 AM
8th Gear

yes i did and i thank you for them, and i drive my cars exactly the way those posts say i should, i have no doubt that i drive my car properly, im just very frustrated with the previous owner right now lol, but ill post on here again after i find out exactly whats wrong with it and ill try to figure out exactly what caused it and let yall know, make sure others dont do what the other owner did to my car
Old 06-29-2010, 11:31 AM
Registered Member

That doesn't matter.
if the previous owner didn't know how to properly drive a 6m/t then you're in for trouble.

Have you read the links I provided? People have lots of bad habits driving stick. Read the threads and learn how to properly drive your car.
Man have you got that right. I just got back from checking out a restaurant on the eastern end of the county in which I live. While at a light on a hill, a '94 or '95 Accord pulled up next to me. It was a manual and he was playing the clutch (rocking back and forth). Yes, I was tempted to ask him if he knew what was going on with his clutch but I didn't. His car and his money.
Old 06-29-2010, 11:38 AM

SB, like i said in the other "clutch feel" thread. https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=781639
I enjoy reading your post about manual transmissions.
it was helpful to me and I hope you continue to spew your knowledge.
Old 06-29-2010, 11:46 AM
8th Gear

thanks for the help yall 2
Old 06-29-2010, 12:57 PM
Registered Member

SB, like i said in the other "clutch feel" thread. https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=781639
I enjoy reading your post about manual transmissions.
it was helpful to me and I hope you continue to spew your knowledge.
Thanks much. Guess it's better than spewing forth something else, eh? (you know I had to have fun with that one).
Old 06-29-2010, 01:41 PM
Instructor

Southern Boy - I've had the problem with a squeaking noise after gear changes, and you say its the release bearing? What exactly is this part, what does it do, and whats the replacement cost? Links?
Old 06-29-2010, 03:41 PM
7th Gear

I would change the clutch out and have someone look at your synchros if third gear is giving you a problem. . .
Old 07-19-2010, 08:36 PM
8th Gear

got the new clutch and flywheel in finally, apparently from what my mechanic said, there is a TSB out which says that the clutch disc breaks to sh*t if the car gets down shifted in order to break the car, so if you have a 06 tl just pop it in neutral and use your breaks.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:36 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
NO
dont go to Nuetral until you are stopped- just leave it in gear and allow the car to slow with the brakes--if you need power suddenly- you are in gear to go
Brakes have one specific job- to slow and stop the car.. but many drivers use the trans- especially 2 and 3rd to slow down--wears out a very expensive clutch fast!!

Why is this thread in gen2 anyway???
Old 07-20-2010, 06:54 AM
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts
.....down shifted in order to break the car, ....
Lol- nice play on words-
Old 07-20-2010, 07:30 AM
Registered Member

got the new clutch and flywheel in finally, apparently from what my mechanic said, there is a TSB out which says that the clutch disc breaks to sh*t if the car gets down shifted in order to break the car, so if you have a 06 tl just pop it in neutral and use your breaks.
Not true at all. You can downshift to "brake" (not break) the car's forward movement if needed, and you can do this many tens of thousands of times without damaging the clutch provided you do it correctly. In fact when done correctly, downshifting imparts less wear on a clutch assembly than does starting off in first gear from a stop. Now how many times does one do this during the life of their clutch?

Last edited by SouthernBoy; 07-20-2010 at 07:34 AM.