Check your trunk alignment!

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2005 | 09:57 PM
Racer

Check your trunk alignment!

The trunk alignment coming out of the factory on the TLs can be described in one word, LAUGHABLE. MY trunk is misaligned to the point where it rubs when shut and has begun to chip the pain on the edge of the trunk and quarterpanel!

I was walking around the lot of a dealership here in Atlanta and began to wonder how many TLs had poorly aligned trunks like me. To my surprise MOST OF THE CARS WERE OFF and not by a little bit but by ALOT.

The single most common problem seems to be a misalignment of the trunk being too far "IN" when you run your finger along the tip (corner) of the quarterpanel and the trunk (where it curves outward) on th4e passenger side. Also, I noticed that alot of the trunk sat very low also. (below the level of the quarter panels on both sides).

Check your alignment and get it fixed if its off.
Old 06-26-2005 | 03:33 AM
Advanced

Thumbs up

thx for the heads up...i'll make sure to chk if mine is aligned correctly
Old 06-26-2005 | 05:02 AM
.:KCCO:.

when i first test drove the car, the trunk wouldn't close all the time. i would drop the trunk and it would thud and just pop back up. i would have to slam it to close it
Old 06-26-2005 | 08:58 AM
6th Gear

I did notice this with my trunk; my sits low as you described... is this a warranty issue?
Old 06-26-2005 | 10:29 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by RUTAKEN22
I did notice this with my trunk; my sits low as you described... is this a warranty issue?
Yes it is, unless of course its been wrecked and worked on by a body shop. Just take it in and be like the trunk is not aligned properly.
Old 06-29-2005 | 04:35 PM
Instructor

My trunk catch was badly bent...

Interesting....

I took delivery of a new TL last Tuesday and it was flawless in every way.... Except the trunk catch (the loop in the trunk that the latch hits/closes on). It was badly bent to the right. 2-3 centemeters.

I went into my garage, got a hammer and gave it a few whacks to get it straight (nothing like taking a hammer to a one hour old car). It was very easy to straighten - you can't tell anything was ever wrong with it.

Interestingly both before and ofter I straghtened out the catch, the trunk closed fine. When the catch was bent, you could see the trunk shift to the right when latching onto the catch...

In any case, the trunk is alligned perfectly now and closes with no effort.
Old 06-29-2005 | 05:39 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Originally Posted by lumpydog
Interesting....
...(nothing like taking a hammer to a one hour old car)....
lumpydog - your my hero ! You fear not in the face of your new purchase.

OK

So what's the real deal here. I've noticed the misalignment to. I'm guessing there are rubber adjusters for the height and some play in the latch when the mounting screws are loostened to correct for left right latch adjstments. Can anyone confirm ?

If not then (rubber) hammer .... nope, can't do it. I'm no lumpyD.
Old 06-29-2005 | 05:44 PM
Racer

its sad that we have to resort to fixing our own vehicles because acuras service dept sucks, I called to get an apt for my trunk being misaligned among other things and the service rep goes "has the car bene wrecked? why didnt you bring this up when you bought it? where id u buy it? ive never heard of this, you are the first one complaining of a misaligned trunk!?

I thought to myself geeez these guys have no clue how to talk to customers, next car will definitely not be an acura, it will be a LEXUS!
Old 06-29-2005 | 05:50 PM
Racer

its sad that we have to resort to fixing our own vehicles because acuras service dept sucks, I called to get an apointment for my trunk being misaligned among other things and the service rep goes :
"has the car been wrecked? "
"why didnt you bring this up when you bought it? "
"whered id u buy it? "
"ive never heard of this, you are the first one complaining of a misaligned trunk!? "

then he says i dont know that we can fix this for you , it may have to go back to thesellign dealer (which is 1.5 hours away), Im like dude, i didnt notice a slightly shifted trunk, it didnt start chipping the paint until I STARTED TO USE THE TRUNK!

I thought to myself geeez these guys have no clue how to talk to customers, next car will definitely not be an acura, it will be a LEXUS!

i also had to go through hell and back just to find a dealer in the atlanta area who would give a loaner, i thought it was common practice for acura service to give a loaner but most of these dealerships were like you would have to wait because we dont give loaners unless the car is UNSAFE.

this sucks, totally disappointed in the quality and attitude of service departments, Im sure LEXUS will be able to take care of me next time!
Old 06-29-2005 | 06:45 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Unfortunately there are some things that just work out easier when you fix them yourself. That's not an excuse for the dealer's attitude.

Rattles for example. Is a dealer really going to put two techs in a car to track down a rattle in the rear deck ? Not when the other tech could be earning the dealership >$80/hr. So we resort to having our other sympathetic gear-head friends ride along to hunt down the rattle and we fix it right. The dealer just shotguns, charges warrantee, and you still have the problem.

Panel alignment is another area where you will find the same thing unfortunately. But if it is so bad that paint is chafing then come on, that's got to get fixed on their nickel. As to the car being wrecked, any dealership should be able to tell if that is the case right away.

I have noticed that dealerships have this misplaced idea that somehow if you bought the car at another dealership than they have a right to blow you off. Funny how they stop that once the warrantee is up. I mean, WTF !!!. If they ever want you to buy a car there then they should treat you better. But the reality is that sales and service are two different departments. Service could care less how well sales does.

With past brands I did get a blow-off...once. When the car company called to see how the visit went I didn't give them all 10s on the scores. I didn't slam them, just gave 7s and 8s. Let's just say the next time I was in there I was taken seriously. Many dealerships service departments care about the f-ing score more than anything. Hopefully it won't come to this with Acura. Overall I'm happy with the car.
Old 10-10-2005 | 12:20 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Originally Posted by ElmerHiggins
its sad that we have to resort to fixing our own vehicles because acuras service dept sucks, I called to get an apointment for my trunk being misaligned among other things and the service rep goes :
"has the car been wrecked? "
"why didnt you bring this up when you bought it? "
"whered id u buy it? "
"ive never heard of this, you are the first one complaining of a misaligned trunk!? "

then he says i dont know that we can fix this for you , it may have to go back to thesellign dealer (which is 1.5 hours away), Im like dude, i didnt notice a slightly shifted trunk, it didnt start chipping the paint until I STARTED TO USE THE TRUNK!

i also had to go through hell and back just to find a dealer in the atlanta area who would give a loaner, i thought it was common practice for acura service to give a loaner but most of these dealerships were like you would have to wait because we dont give loaners unless the car is UNSAFE.

this sucks, totally disappointed in the quality and attitude of service departments, Im sure LEXUS will be able to take care of me next time!

or maybe it was because mommy ran it into a friggin pole (a huge fact left out of the story) according to one of your previous posts?? Come on Elmer, we do have the ability to check your previous posts dude? Kind of like when you were bitching about the paint BEFORE YOU EVEN BOUGHT THE CAR? Then supposedly "took delivery on your new TL"? All the time.....touting Lexus and how wonderful Lexus is in about half your posts? Have I about got you right here Elmer? You work for Lexus...right? (I have one of those too Elmer....service is no better over there!)
Old 10-10-2005 | 03:32 PM
Instructor

Man let the issue die. Elmer posted almost 4 months ago and you try to resurrect it? You guys are taunting the man and then it's a pissing contest all over again.
Old 10-10-2005 | 03:36 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Originally Posted by hcekc
Man let the issue die. Elmer posted almost 4 months ago and you try to resurrect it? You guys are taunting the man and then it's a pissing contest all over again.
You are very accurate......I will let it go for his next rant. (should it happen) We can only hope that we dont have to live through that again!
Old 10-10-2005 | 04:05 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

I have to say, I saw Elmer's trunk when I was in ATL this past spring for a meet, and his trunk was totally off kilter...he specifically wanted to look at mine to see if it was misaligned or not...I have to admit I was surprised at how off his trunk was. This was when his car was rather new and had not been in the accident (I think it even still had 30-day tags on it).

I also fully believe that this, like his paint, should be something the dealer should fix; that they won't is unfortunate. I've said it before, and I'll say it again...it all boils down to your dealer. Luckily, mine is good...they fix anything without question...the couple of times they couldn't find the problem, I took the tech out, replicated it, and they were all over it...no questions asked. And I've gotten a TL loaner every time I've been there, even for an oil change (although, once I got a TSX).

Elmer, just like with the paint (and your other issues), I wish you luck on this one.
Old 10-10-2005 | 04:16 PM
Advanced

Gosh after readling all the posts on here, mine must have been built by people who were proud of their work... everything lines up perfectly! No complaints at all.
Old 10-10-2005 | 04:26 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by MichaelBenz
or maybe it was because mommy ran it into a friggin pole (a huge fact left out of the story) according to one of your previous posts?? Come on Elmer, we do have the ability to check your previous posts dude? Kind of like when you were bitching about the paint BEFORE YOU EVEN BOUGHT THE CAR? Then supposedly "took delivery on your new TL"? All the time.....touting Lexus and how wonderful Lexus is in about half your posts? Have I about got you right here Elmer? You work for Lexus...right? (I have one of those too Elmer....service is no better over there!)
LOL, Michael, you must have no life to be lookign up peoples past posts and hound them with your bullshit theories with no basis whatsoever, yes the trunk rubs, yes there is a scuff on the bumper but no the trunk issue was not caused by the scuff on the bumper

As stated by another member,you will see that the trunk was rubbin prior to the scuff incident. Many TLs have the trunk misalignment issue, but since your right hand AKA My TL lover friend, wont give you any unless you blast anyone who doesnt worship the workmanship of the vehicle, you can believe your dumb notion and accusation all you want.

Everything you have come up with is total bull and fruitless, now go and try to find more shit you lowlife. No I dont work for Lexus either, I am simply a owner of a TL that used to be happy with it.
I know you are gonna keep coming with your crap so Ima call it, Im through going back and forth with your 3rd grade grammer and sentence structure ass.
Ooopss , almost forgot, time for your knob job with the TL poster, just dont forget to wipe it clean when youre done so the boyfriend doesnt know youre cheating on him.
Peace
Old 10-10-2005 | 04:50 PM
Instructor

Peace brothers!
Old 10-10-2005 | 04:51 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by DavidPax
Gosh after readling all the posts on here, mine must have been built by people who were proud of their work... everything lines up perfectly! No complaints at all.
Mine doesn't. Must've been built on a Friday.
Old 10-10-2005 | 04:57 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Originally Posted by hcekc
Mine doesn't. Must've been built on a Friday.

Or a Monday...
Old 10-10-2005 | 05:34 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

LOL, Michael, you must have no life to be lookign up peoples past posts and hound them with your bullshit theories with no basis whatsoever, yes the trunk rubs, yes there is a scuff on the bumper but no the trunk issue was not caused by the scuff on the bumper

As stated by another member,you will see that the trunk was rubbin prior to the scuff incident. Many TLs have the trunk misalignment issue, but since your right hand AKA My TL lover friend, wont give you any unless you blast anyone who doesnt worship the workmanship of the vehicle, you can believe your dumb notion and accusation all you want.

Everything you have come up with is total bull and fruitless, now go and try to find more shit you lowlife. No I dont work for Lexus either, I am simply a owner of a TL that used to be happy with it.
I know you are gonna keep coming with your crap so Ima call it, Im through going back and forth with your 3rd grade grammer and sentence structure ass.
Ooopss , almost forgot, time for your knob job with the TL poster, just dont forget to wipe it clean when youre done so the boyfriend doesnt know youre cheating on him.
Peace

But Elmer my esteemed friend....you never mentioned how you went ahead and bought a car after having already bitched about the paint prior to your purchase? You see Elmer....we all think you are a total fake and the fact is....you are amusing us with your banter! And Elmer, I think you are projecting when you are saying that "everything I am coming up with is total bull and fruitless" as the fact is.....if you really look at it...I havent come up with anything? Just responded to you?

You see how obviously clouded and immature (young) your innocent little mind is? And trust me KID....only a real wanker would keep talking as you do. Really amusing. And while we are at the task of talking about others writing habits....better check your own before you get off on somebody else. Again....you totally prove yourself to be a nutjob fucknut! Shit....I am just messing with you at this point as you are friggin so nuts it is amusing myself and many others! But as you can see....most of us are growing tired of your rants at this point!

AND I REMIND YOU OF HOW YOUR MOMMY WRECKED YOUR POOR CAR! (lol) As she makes the car payments....I am sure she has every right! We all knew something was up with you when you tell people NOTHING about yourself, ie. age, ect. My guess is you are under 18.

Elmer....I know it is hard for you to understand....but get it though your head dude....YOU NEED TO START ANOTHER SCREEN NAME AND START ALL OVER. It is too obvious by reading your post history that you are either a fraud...or just a total fucknut? So which is it? (gonna prove it now Elmer> Got you backed into a corner now, Elmer, right?) Answer either way and you are screwed....You be the judge? Elmer says===>Thank you sir...can I have another! What a friggin retard!
Old 10-10-2005 | 05:46 PM
Shift_faster

Oy.

IBTL.
Old 10-10-2005 | 05:49 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Originally Posted by chill_dog
I have to say, I saw Elmer's trunk when I was in ATL this past spring for a meet, and his trunk was totally off kilter...he specifically wanted to look at mine to see if it was misaligned or not...I have to admit I was surprised at how off his trunk was. This was when his car was rather new and had not been in the accident (I think it even still had 30-day tags on it).

I also fully believe that this, like his paint, should be something the dealer should fix; that they won't is unfortunate. I've said it before, and I'll say it again...it all boils down to your dealer. Luckily, mine is good...they fix anything without question...the couple of times they couldn't find the problem, I took the tech out, replicated it, and they were all over it...no questions asked. And I've gotten a TL loaner every time I've been there, even for an oil change (although, once I got a TSX).

Elmer, just like with the paint (and your other issues), I wish you luck on this one.

And you met this guy? How old....or young? I am not knocking the guys age, but ANYBODY with any maturity level would not argue points repeatedly over and over and over and over and then write with so many mis-spellings and grammer errors only after having dogged others for sentence fragments? I would have figured him to be an English teacher or something! (lol) I STILL STAND BY MY ORIGINAL POINT THAT THIS GUY IS A NUT CASE AND HAS PROVED IT OVER AND OVER.

Ok Elmer....you got me....I am an asshole. A self proclaimed one at that....so you are correct Elmer.....I wont go away! Nothing better for someone who is full of shit such as yourself, but an asshole~! Really tends to get things in line!

Get your shit together Elmer......you have to be better than that to take this asshole! What can I say....."some people like me...some people dont....some give me props and some people wont...but I guess its all the same....cause you all mutha-f-ers still know my name! Peace out from Suburban Noize Records Elmer!
Old 10-10-2005 | 05:51 PM
Instructor

Old 10-10-2005 | 05:57 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

And Elmer....as ChillDog pointed out....and I would totally have to agree.....all these problems you mention should ALL be fixed by Acura! And if you would read....you would have heard me say at one point in a previous locked post...that I also feel Acura Cust Svc sucks for the most part....all they are worried about is their satisfaction survey and how that is going to come out!
Old 10-10-2005 | 11:25 PM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

Out of curiousity, Elmer, are you trying to get any of your problems fixed at Nalley? Cause that's a joke, they'll do more damage than anything - take it elsewhere.
Old 10-11-2005 | 10:50 AM
Burning Brakes

Benz and Elmer. Enough you two. Both of you are out of line. Enough name calling. Take you TLs and get out of the sandbox. You two kids can't play together anymore. Both of you get time outs. Go to your rooms now!!

Old 10-11-2005 | 04:01 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by 03CoupeV6
Out of curiousity, Elmer, are you trying to get any of your problems fixed at Nalley? Cause that's a joke, they'll do more damage than anything - take it elsewhere.
Nope, initially wanted to take it there but luckily I realized early on how much they care about customer service when they failed to call back to complete the appointment process.

Again, I have to state that this is not a failure of the dealer service, it was Acura and their so called customer care department. The dealer that I was dealing with has purportedly a region or statewide high customer satisfaction, or so their billboards state. They were helpful but decided to call in a factory rep to get paid for a repair, factory rep was not so helpful.
Old 10-11-2005 | 05:48 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Nope, initially wanted to take it there but luckily I realized early on how much they care about customer service when they failed to call back to complete the appointment process.

Again, I have to state that this is not a failure of the dealer service, it was Acura and their so called customer care department. The dealer that I was dealing with has purportedly a region or statewide high customer satisfaction, or so their billboards state. They were helpful but decided to call in a factory rep to get paid for a repair, factory rep was not so helpful.
No kidding Elmer, if you have been through all that hub-bub and even with the region rep.....I honestly would consider having an attorney write a letter in your behalf....lots of times this gets their attention and you might get some action that way? You could state it like...hey....been trying to work with you guys, and this is what is has come to. I assure you that they will make it go away because that is cheaper for them than to pay attorneys. Profit and loss thing.....present them with a loss option? Right now...they just stand to gain or not lose, so to speak. Not bagging you here either Elmer, so dont get started....but depending upon how old you are...sometimes you get treated differently too. Sometimes (often) young people get blown off because they can get away with it more....so if you are young (under 35) I would get as composed and together as possible...and dont lose your temper....just state the case and the options as educated and smooth as possible....dont get uppity if you have to threaten a lawsuit....just state it as fact (like it really doesnt bother you at all - DONT EVER LET THEM SEE YOU SWEAT) and continue the conversation - dont EVER hear them say no.....just keep on pressing politely but firmly as if they never said no....eventually they will understand that you know how to work em and they will hopefully come around....because warrantee issues are warrantee issues man - and they have to cover them or face being sued on a possible bad faith claim or something...which is WAY worse than fixing your prob! Think like a lawyer.....and dont ever give up and dont ever lose your composure and get nutty or you just shot your case in the butt as they will write you off as helpless.

Elmer...I will quit bagging you since you quit today. Lets try and get along man.....these past few days have been entertaining...but I think we both know it is time to hit "reset" on the game! (lol) Been fun man! I appreciate a good joust from time to time!
Old 10-12-2005 | 11:26 AM
Supreme Underlord/Abyss

My trunk alignment is perfect. So's everything else about my car.

Thanks for asking!