Center Console Shifter Lights Don't Go On

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 08:55 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Center Console Shifter Lights Don't Go On

Hey guys, ive done some searching before starting this thread and no one has really given a straight answer, so i figured i start one. So it might seem like a simple problem, maybe just a light bulb replacement is needed but the problem is that the lights on the shifter on the center console on an 05 TL Auto (P,R,N,D) dont light up sometimes. Its very annoying at night. Im hoping I just need to replace the bulb, but let me know if its ever happened to you.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
Anyone?
Old 10-11-2012, 10:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 301 Likes on 258 Posts
hey, I dont know the layout of things under the center console as I havent taken mine out before, but if its intermittent maybe something is up with the wireing, loose connections, corrosion maybe? Have you taken the center console out before? or spilled a drink around the shifter area recently?
Old 10-12-2012, 04:56 PM
Intermediate

yeah theres definitely been stuff spilled, and i havent taken it apart yet. i was really hoping it would just be a light bulb haha. i guess i have no choice but to take it apart now.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:09 AM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
let me know also. I also have spilled stuff around the cupholder area. Didnt notice the shifter lights until I read this thread. I noticed the lights around the navi and my hazard are 1 by 1 going out also. Looks like a total replacement of the lights for the interior coming up.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:50 PM
Intermediate

Ok so this weekend i finally got around to finding out whats up with all my lights. The first thing i took apart was the center console (Around the Shifter) and good news, it turned out to be the bulb. Its an S14v 1.4 watt bulb. its was like $5 for 2 at autozone. I took a couple pictures of the bulb just in case anyone wanted to see it.

Center Console Shifter Lights Don't Go On-2012-10-20_14-50-21_425.jpg

Center Console Shifter Lights Don't Go On-2012-10-20_14-50-34_977.jpg

Center Console Shifter Lights Don't Go On-2012-10-20_15-31-31_463.jpg

That was not the only thing that didnt light up though, my driver side seat heater switch didnt light up, neither did my cruise control and volume control on the steering wheel.

The seat warmer switch is an entire sealed assembly, it wouldnt be easy to take apart and change the bulb, so i just ordered a whole new assembly for $20.

I was a bit cautious when i was taking apart the steering wheel because you do have to remove the airbag which can be kind of scary haha. But it went smoothly, but in vain. The controls on the steering wheel are also sealed assemblies. In my opinion it is not worth taking it apart and trying to change the bulb, so i just ordered new ones for $30 each.

The steering wheel dissassembly was fairly straight forward. Theres 2 screws holding the airbag in place, then 2 more screws holding each button assembly in place. Though it can be nerve wracking handling a live airbag that costs $700.

The center console wasn't so quick. Its simple but everything interlocks so to remove the piece around the shifter, the armrest had to be removed, and so did the cup holders, and then it was finally able to be pulled out. The CF trim as also a pain to remove, maybe i was just being too careful trying not to break it but it took a while.

So overall a simple job of changing a light bulb took me about 2-3 hours. its a simple procedure, just tedious and lengthy. It was well worth it in my opinion though. Shifting in the dark could really become a pain the ass at night.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:20 PM
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
did you have to remove the whole center console ?? or can you just pop off the silver trim around the shifter to get to it>?

Originally Posted by InstinctGT
Ok so this weekend i finally got around to finding out whats up with all my lights. The first thing i took apart was the center console (Around the Shifter) and good news, it turned out to be the bulb. Its an S14v 1.4 watt bulb. its was like $5 for 2 at autozone. I took a couple pictures of the bulb just in case anyone wanted to see it.

Attachment 8013

Attachment 8014

Attachment 8015

That was not the only thing that didnt light up though, my driver side seat heater switch didnt light up, neither did my cruise control and volume control on the steering wheel.

The seat warmer switch is an entire sealed assembly, it wouldnt be easy to take apart and change the bulb, so i just ordered a whole new assembly for $20.

I was a bit cautious when i was taking apart the steering wheel because you do have to remove the airbag which can be kind of scary haha. But it went smoothly, but in vain. The controls on the steering wheel are also sealed assemblies. In my opinion it is not worth taking it apart and trying to change the bulb, so i just ordered new ones for $30 each.

The steering wheel dissassembly was fairly straight forward. Theres 2 screws holding the airbag in place, then 2 more screws holding each button assembly in place. Though it can be nerve wracking handling a live airbag that costs $700.

The center console wasn't so quick. Its simple but everything interlocks so to remove the piece around the shifter, the armrest had to be removed, and so did the cup holders, and then it was finally able to be pulled out. The CF trim as also a pain to remove, maybe i was just being too careful trying not to break it but it took a while.

So overall a simple job of changing a light bulb took me about 2-3 hours. its a simple procedure, just tedious and lengthy. It was well worth it in my opinion though. Shifting in the dark could really become a pain the ass at night.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:33 PM
Advanced

never mind,im a noob, gotta remove the whole center console !
Old 10-22-2012, 06:17 PM
Intermediate

yeah its a pain removing the center console but its only about 10 screws and the rest is just popping things apart.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:42 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
so it's only one light bulb that lights up the gear shift? Do you know if an LED can be replaced instead of the bulb?
Old 10-22-2012, 08:21 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tlmailman
so it's only one light bulb that lights up the gear shift? Do you know if an LED can be replaced instead of the bulb?
yes its only that one bulb that lights it all up. Electronics isnt my forte nor am i an expert at it, but i think its possible to replace it with an led.
Old 10-27-2012, 11:37 AM
Advanced

So I tackle this job this morning , it was pretty easy I used the DIY for replacing shifter to a short shifter, broke a clip in the progress and couldn't find the right bulb at my local part source and Canadian so I got the smallest bulb they got witch was a 74 and sanded down the side
The following users liked this post:
ramway (12-03-2013)
Old 10-30-2012, 08:03 PM
Intermediate

Yeah mine wasnt a perfect fit either, i just ended up jamming it in there lol, nothing broke and it worked fine. glad you used some common sense
Old 10-11-2014, 11:14 PM
10th Gear

actually you dont have to remove whole cneter console. after you remove the silver ring, use a tiny hook to release four clips, then you will get it. if you dont have tiny enough hook, then try to remove the wool like panel as well as the silver ring then you will make it.