car was towed, now having trouble unlocking, starting, nav and radio lock

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 07:45 PM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
car was towed, now having trouble unlocking, starting, nav and radio lock

To anyone who can assist me, I thank you in advance.

Last Sunday my car (2007 TL-S) was towed (left my car overnight in a lot when I shouldn't have). I got my car back later that day, and it performed like normal. Monday in the morning, my nav screen asks me for a code, which I didn't have on me at the time. The next morning, I put in the navi code and all is fine. That evening, my remote won't unlock the doors so I unlock manually by inserting the key into the lock. I start the car like normal and find that my trip computer is reset, my navi is asking for a code, (after entering the code it is looking for new satellites), and my radio is asking for the code, which I enter. Today in the morning, my car unlocks with the remote like normal, I put the key in and all the lights come on like normal, radio plays, I turn the key to start the car and everything turns off and the car doesn't start. I have to open the door, close it, lock the car, unlock it (without the remote), and then when I try to start the car it starts right up, asking me for navi and radio codes, which I enter, and everything works fine (trip computer and navi is reset). This evening, same thing happens like this morning except the navi worked and it only asked for the radio code, but the trip computer was reset again.

My car was working fine until this week. I did a search last night on here (and now I can't find the thread again) and someone said in a thread about battery disconnection that you may have to enter the codes a couple times. Is this what they meant, or is this situation different? What's going on and is there anything I can do to resolve this? Is this worth a call to the dealer or should I just be patient? Thanks!

Last edited by calman21; 02-11-2009 at 07:47 PM.
Old 02-11-2009, 10:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
open the hood and check the battery terminals. See if they are on there securely. Also look for any crud buildup on the terminals. How old is the battery? You might want to take it to the dealer or autozone and have them check out the condition of the battery.
Old 02-15-2009, 08:25 PM
9th Gear

Thanks for your reply. Battery terminals are secure, no crud buildup. I don't know the exact age of the battery but the car is an 11/06 build and the battery hasn't been replaced.

My car has been working fine over the last few days and hopefully it stays that way.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:18 AM
Car Enthusiast

Received 185 Likes on 91 Posts
Originally Posted by calman21
Thanks for your reply. Battery terminals are secure, no crud buildup. I don't know the exact age of the battery but the car is an 11/06 build and the battery hasn't been replaced.

My car has been working fine over the last few days and hopefully it stays that way.
Those tow guys are careless, they don't care what kind of car is it. And probably the nicer car you have the more jealous they get, which they will abuse it even more when they tow your car. They may have pulled your car side way in a parrallel spot so they can tow, or towed your car backward. Those may have damaged your gear, axels, and who knows one of the sensor got knocked off. Anyway, gl with your ride man, if it acts up again jut bring to the dealer and have them check up for you..
Old 02-20-2009, 06:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts
I would be interested to know if they opened the car or not? I cannot for the life of me figure out what would be doing all that unless they opened the car and tried to stop the alarm from going off or something. My first and guess was the battery terminal thing or that was above mentioned or even a freak water leak but if they never opened the car I am at a loss. And that is rare.
Old 02-20-2009, 07:18 PM
Senior Moderator

how did they tow the car, they might have damaged a wire harness or something...
Old 03-02-2009, 06:20 PM
9th Gear

Thanks for the replies. I don't think they opened the car as they did not have keys and I see no signs of forced entry. The tow truck driver said he used wheels underneath my tires. I saw them next to my car when I picked it up. Since my last post, I have experienced several instances where the radio/navi/door locks/ignition in some combination do not work. The battery terminals feel tight. With that said, this morning when my car wouldn't start, I jiggled the positive terminal cable (it didn't move at the terminal) and my car started after that. It may have been a fluke that that worked but given that my problems are electrical in nature, I guess it wouldn't be a stretch. I will be tightening them for good measure when I get a chance and probably give my dealership a call to see if they can take a look. Would an inspection be covered under warranty?
Old 03-02-2009, 06:37 PM
Car Enthusiast

Received 185 Likes on 91 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I don't think they opened the car as they did not have keys and I see no signs of forced entry. The tow truck driver said he used wheels underneath my tires. I saw them next to my car when I picked it up. Since my last post, I have experienced several instances where the radio/navi/door locks/ignition in some combination do not work. The battery terminals feel tight. With that said, this morning when my car wouldn't start, I jiggled the positive terminal cable (it didn't move at the terminal) and my car started after that. It may have been a fluke that that worked but given that my problems are electrical in nature, I guess it wouldn't be a stretch. I will be tightening them for good measure when I get a chance and probably give my dealership a call to see if they can take a look. Would an inspection be covered under warranty?
You can try, but don't tell them anything, like you got tow or so. Just claim that your car having such issue and let them check out under the warranty.
Old 03-03-2009, 04:57 AM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by vhtran
You can try, but don't tell them anything, like you got tow or so. Just claim that your car having such issue and let them check out under the warranty.
Got it, I will try that. Thank you.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:38 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
DO NOT keep the fact that the car was towed from the shop and tech!!!
Such info may be the cause of problem
They dont look for things to be warranty- they look for the problem, and if its warranty they do it on acuras dime

It may/should have sensors that detect when its at more than a certain angle- so it disarms the alarm when being towed,,,otherwise it would be going off constantly while on the hook

wiggle the batt cable? go to a parts store and ask for a free battery system test- they can tell if you need new cables or anything else

Does the owner book say anything about `when the car is towed`?
Old 03-03-2009, 07:34 PM
Senior Moderator

What!!!! the TL should be flatbed towed only, never only by the front wheels!
Old 03-04-2009, 07:00 AM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
DO NOT keep the fact that the car was towed from the shop and tech!!!
Such info may be the cause of problem
They dont look for things to be warranty- they look for the problem, and if its warranty they do it on acuras dime

It may/should have sensors that detect when its at more than a certain angle- so it disarms the alarm when being towed,,,otherwise it would be going off constantly while on the hook

wiggle the batt cable? go to a parts store and ask for a free battery system test- they can tell if you need new cables or anything else

Does the owner book say anything about `when the car is towed`?
I will go to a parts store and see what they say, thanks. I did look in the manual and when this initially happened and I did not find anything about this. The only thing I found is that when the battery is disconnected for whatever reason, it will result in the navi and radio asking for codes, depending on how long it has been disconnected. I feel like something is causing an intermittent disconnection of the battery from the electrical system, hopefully the parts store or acura can help.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:02 AM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by csmeance
What!!!! the TL should be flatbed towed only, never only by the front wheels!
If I had it my way, the car wouldn't have been towed at all. I wasn't there when the car was towed, and I didn't see any flatbeds at the tow truck site when I picked up my car. The driver may have put wheels under the rear tires and just raised the front, although I'm not sure now.

Perhaps my mistake can be a lesson for all of us: triple check the signs when we park somewhere.

Last edited by calman21; 03-04-2009 at 07:07 AM.
Old 04-05-2009, 08:03 PM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by csmeance
open the hood and check the battery terminals. See if they are on there securely. Also look for any crud buildup on the terminals. How old is the battery? You might want to take it to the dealer or autozone and have them check out the condition of the battery.
Sorry to bump this old thread, but I write this in the hopes that it will help someone in the future. Although my battery cables appeared securely fastened to the battery terminals, about one month ago I tightened both positive and negative ends and have not had any problems since. Thanks csmeance, I should have just tightened them in the first place.