Car stalled on me twice.

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 12:31 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car stalled on me twice.

Yesterday my car started to stall on me twice and shake a little bit. One on the street on the freeway... Almost got in an accident.. Anyway I take it to my friends shop he was near.. He didn't know what to do and didn't want to touch it because it would void warranty so he told me my oil life was low so i should change it so the acura wont bs about anything..

I fucking change the shit take it to them.. They call me today saying the engine light turned on because of oil pressure.. and its because of your leaking aftermarket oil filter. Also because of oil pressure your car can stall and shake during driving...

Im like wtf are you saying how much could their leak within 4 hours.. They are like we want to change all the oil.. Stupidely i said yes and ended convo.. I call back 2 mins later after realizing and saying to myself.. 'why can't they just change the fucking filter'' I call him he says they are already doing it and im like well i have synthetic in there and hes like well its ok if we put 5w-20.. Im like are you sure it wont fuck it up.. hes like ya...

so my question is.. How much is this dealer bsing me about everything.. When the fuck does a engine light turn on over oil.. Wtf is the oil light for then?
Old 08-27-2008, 12:36 PM
Race Director

Received 277 Likes on 161 Posts
Yep, sounds like full BS...

If your car was shaking, did it feel like a misfire? Could be something as little as fuel pump... But I can't believe it they've blamed it on the oil filter.
Old 08-27-2008, 12:38 PM
Banned

Question is wtf I do.. I don't want to pay for that fucking bs rental car they gave out. This is bunch of horse shit.
Old 08-27-2008, 02:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
if you are under warranty and have the extended one from honda, they should cover the rental. If it was the oil, you would have seen the low oil pressure light before it stalled. If it did stall due to low oil, you could be in a pretty bad situation because it can cause some pretty good damage to a motor when you run it with low or little oil. Did the Check Engine Light ever come on? Also do you have an 05 TL?
Old 08-27-2008, 02:33 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
Exactly HOW low was the oil-- that your buddy wouldnt just add 1 quart and its full??

If it were really low and oil pressure dropped as a result- which it will, there could be a protective sensor that shuts the car off to save the engine

How many miles was on that oil- what brand-type was it?
what filter did you have on it before and when it went to the dealer?

Sometimes service writers get partial info from the tech and then make it into a story!
The basic truth was buried in there

I can understand why they change oil and filter- if they believe it was an bad oil problem and the tech does not know its brand new oil, the smart safe move is oil and filter, then check the actual oil pressure to make sure its ok
Your NEW filter was leaking? What brand? was the old rubber oring stuck on ther causing the leak? 4 hours?- you can empty an engine in a few minutes when a filter leaks and the pressure squirts oil out at high speed

You may need to run seafoam engine cleaner in the oil to scrub the crud out- then change the oil and filter again
All depends on the pressure reading after
VTEC operates off oil pressure changes too- so the whole system is tied together

You can run synthetic- dino- semi synthetic oil back and forth at each change if you want- the engine does not care at all.
Old 08-27-2008, 02:35 PM
Team Owner

that loaner car acura gave you is just that- free LOANER car while yours is in the shop
Its a courtesy provided by the dealer to help you during a stressful time

Unless you signed an agreement for $25 a day- they are picking up the tab.
Normally they have cars on hand,but if they run out- they have a private contract with Enterprise and give you that instead.
Old 08-27-2008, 02:41 PM
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
was the old rubber oring stuck on ther causing the leak? 4 hours?- you can empty an engine in a few minutes when a filter leaks and the pressure squirts oil out at high speed
10 bucks says he had a double gasket on his filter from the old one sticking to the block when it was removed.

OP, if you still have the old oil filter, check to see that the gasket is still installed in it. if not, then it's still on your engine block, which caused it to leak.

Trending Topics

Old 08-27-2008, 02:43 PM
Team Owner

Also, anyone can work on your car- even you- and not void warranty
just keep receipts for oil and filter purchase- write date and mileage in the owner service book- log everything into your acura.com account
You dont have to use acura filter either- just stay away from the dollar store filters and spend 5 bucks or the 12 dollar ones are like by many.
here is the reg page- need cars VIN
http://owners.acura.com/registration...erstepone.aspx

Its normal for the TL, and any internal combustion engined car, to use a small amount of oil between changes- its getting pushed past the rings during combustion- and into the pcv and reburned
Many ziners choose to put in 5 qts at change with filter- its supposed to hold 4.7 and 5 puts it over the full dot a tick- just enough that at 7500 miles its down to full
Old 08-27-2008, 02:47 PM
Team Owner

that right Trew-
but if I read the post right- he had stalling and CEL on freeway with old oil-
oil was very low-
changed oil and filter- at this part the story stopped- so I am guessing it was driven to the dealer and still acting up-
dealer says currently leaking filter? and changes it

bringing us back to: stalled on freeway when low on oil-
so why was it low???- a leaky filter gasket or 20,000 miles since last changed and checked then driven across country 5 times!
Old 08-27-2008, 03:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
that right Trew-
but if I read the post right- he had stalling and CEL on freeway with old oil-
oil was very low-
changed oil and filter- at this part the story stopped- so I am guessing it was driven to the dealer and still acting up-
dealer says currently leaking filter? and changes it

bringing us back to: stalled on freeway when low on oil-
so why was it low???- a leaky filter gasket or 20,000 miles since last changed and checked then driven across country 5 times!
The oil Life was no not the oil pressure... and let me rephrase it was 2 hours since it was and it wasn't much minor leak... according to them
Old 09-15-2008, 12:27 PM
Banned

Fucking Car.. Last friday the bitch stalled on me twice again on the freeway.. During somewhat traffic.. Luckily I wasn't going 60+ more like 30 - 40 ... Shit stalled me and wouldn't accelerate or respond.. Got to the shoulder... Turned it off and waited a bit turned it on tried to exit as fast as possible and shut down again exiting desoto exit..

Finally waited 20 mins started it.. Worked but it was weird driving it.. Took it to 101 west calabasas.. Wonder wtf they will say about the car this time..

Shits a death trap man.. Now im in a tsx.. I miss my fucking car.. but not if its gonna try to kill me..
Old 09-15-2008, 01:38 PM
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
Seems like the car went into limp mode because some sensor scared the shit out of your car and put it in limp mode. how many miles you have on your car?
Old 09-15-2008, 08:56 PM
Advanced

once u go synthetic u cant go back!
Old 09-15-2008, 09:54 PM
Team Owner

thats NOT true!!!- you can run synthetic one time- dino oil the next- semi synthetic next- The engine could care less- as long as the oil does its job of cooling and lubricating and carrying debris to the oil filter~

I am wondering if the OPs car has a bad TPS throttle sensor- there have been some TB failures recently here,

Do you happen top have a large number of keys on your keyring in the ignition?
That can cause some funky wear inside the switch and cause shorting out/failure
Old 09-15-2008, 11:56 PM
SlammedOnKonis

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm surprised the dealer isn't trying to fuck you over with your mods. Santa monica tried to blame my subwoofer rattle on my fucking rear window tint before I had to bitchslap them back to reality.
Old 09-16-2008, 01:01 AM
2011 BMW 335i

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kosstick
Yesterday my car started to stall on me twice and shake a little bit. One on the street on the freeway... Almost got in an accident.. Anyway I take it to my friends shop he was near.. He didn't know what to do and didn't want to touch it because it would void warranty so he told me my oil life was low so i should change it so the acura wont bs about anything..

I fucking change the shit take it to them.. They call me today saying the engine light turned on because of oil pressure.. and its because of your leaking aftermarket oil filter. Also because of oil pressure your car can stall and shake during driving...

Im like wtf are you saying how much could their leak within 4 hours.. They are like we want to change all the oil.. Stupidely i said yes and ended convo.. I call back 2 mins later after realizing and saying to myself.. 'why can't they just change the fucking filter'' I call him he says they are already doing it and im like well i have synthetic in there and hes like well its ok if we put 5w-20.. Im like are you sure it wont fuck it up.. hes like ya...

so my question is.. How much is this dealer bsing me about everything.. When the fuck does a engine light turn on over oil.. Wtf is the oil light for then?
I don't understand why you would have taken the car to your friends shop, instead of immediately calling Acura's free roadside assistance and having the car towed to the dealership. Thats what I would have done. I would have then got in contact with the dealership immediately/asap (if they were closed) and asked them to please check my car out and fix it.
To answer your question, dealerships are shady....you need to be firm with them, don't be abusive towards them because they can be a**holes. Another thing is that if you have aftermarket parts on the vehicle (oil filter) the dealership may very well use that as an excuse to not cover the repair under warranty. Why didn't you just take you car to the dealership for your oil changes? You might not have had this problem if you would have done that. I always try to get as much done thru the dealership (provided the price is not ridiculous) especially while my car is still under warranty, after the warranty is up feel free to do your own maintenance cause if anything happens later on your warranty would have already run out and you would have had to pay for the repair anyway. Make sense?
Old 09-16-2008, 07:24 PM
Banned

22k miles and i have no mods on my car other than tints... Now.. The oil filter wasn't leaking and it wasn't its fault guaranteed. I didn't call them because the car was working fine and I needed a car badly the next day.. Just got my car back.. They said a sensor tripped and they need to replace the ECT temp water some shit sensor i unno..

Things running ok... Hope it stays.. I love my TL and hope it stays in tact.. I talked to my friend who is a mechanic and he said they are talking about the oil around the filter after he installed it and some oil came out.. He has done hundreds of changes I guarantee you it wasn't from the oil filter because It happened before i changed it anyway..