Car shakes after lowering

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 03:30 AM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car shakes after lowering

Hey guys so here's the thing. I have a 08 TL-S and just installed brand new function form type1 coilovers on my car and slammed it at first, and then took it for a test drive and under acceleration at low rpms the car would shake mainly in the pedals but when coasting or at a stand still the car doesn't shake. But then I raised the car back up to about the top of the tire and it still shakes. The car never did this and ran perfect before installing these coilovers. I've been reading forums all day and no one has an answer for these kinds of problems. Some people say its the motor mounts, axle, wheel balance, and alignment. Every single bolt is tight, triple checked everything. I really need help because this is annoying me.
Old 07-09-2011, 04:32 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts
happened to me and many other members out there. Its all luck... Our cars werent made to handle suspension changes of this sort. Some people get lucky and their car does not have this wobble issue. Its the damn axle and so annoying. Mine only happens on the drivers side. Its only noticeable to me because my foot is on the pedal and only happens when you slightly press on the accelerator and take off slowly. It leaves instantly after you pass like 7mph or something. And now for the SOLUTION: just LIVE WITH IT lol you wont notice it anymore after a month..well i try not to. Doesn't matter what year the car is its all luck. I have an 05 ...another member here murph has a Type S and has the same issue...elegant type s had it on both axles i believe but he got everything changed out ball joints, axles etc and the problem was solved. I tried raising my car back up and the problem still persists so I'm thinking its permanent unless I change out the axles. To me this tiny issue isnt worth the hassle and money to get it fixed
Old 07-09-2011, 03:16 PM
6th Gear

Wow this really sucks because i know alot of people with drop tl and no problem but it looks like its just my luck. If i replace my axels do you think the problem will go away? And how much do you think that axels will go for?
Old 07-09-2011, 04:34 PM
B A N N E D

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by myst0ryman
Wow this really sucks because i know alot of people with drop tl and no problem but it looks like its just my luck. If i replace my axels do you think the problem will go away? And how much do you think that axels will go for?
more then likely, basically what has happened is that the joints have worn a wear spot in the cv joints, and basically by lowering the car, you just put the axles out of the wear spots, and as it rotates, it goes in and out of the wear spots, causeing the vibration (and once you get a decent speed, it is more then likely just happening fast enough, that you just don't notice it anymore)

also since lowering has the car been aligned? not so much for the vibration but for tire wear, and steering feel?
Old 07-09-2011, 05:06 PM
6th Gear

No i haven't got the alignment done yet because i just installed the coilovers 2 days ago and im waiting for my rear cambers to come in first. I also wanted to figure out what was the problem before i spent money on an alignment because if i couldnt find the problem i would have to just put everything back to stock.
Old 07-09-2011, 05:55 PM
B A N N E D

then i would at least try and set those coilovers to stock height as possible for the time being, till you get your rear camber kit at least, and get it aligned

also kinda stupid to ask now lol, but how many miles on the car? (and no specific mileage is "key", cause it all depends on the owner's driving style, and where they drive)
i've seen cv joint boots (normally the boots break, calling for them to be rebuilt) last only like 50K, and other times 150k+ on the same car model
Old 07-09-2011, 08:24 PM
6th Gear

i have 70k on the car right now. And i've check on the car about every 3 months or so and never had a problem with this before i lowered the car and axels have no ware and tare on the cv joints.
Old 07-09-2011, 09:14 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have the same problem my car shakes at 20mph under light acceleration once it hits 21 it goes away...I too thought it was strange and felt discomfort a first but I guess I'm just going to deal with it....sometimes it happens and sometimes it doesn't for me.
The following users liked this post:
AcuraAccord2.4 (05-07-2021)
Old 07-10-2011, 01:54 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by myst0ryman
i have 70k on the car right now. And i've check on the car about every 3 months or so and never had a problem with this before i lowered the car and axels have no ware and tare on the cv joints.
wear and tare is internal, and not visual

i bet if you were to put it up on an alignment rack, then jack it up under the suspension, so it stays fully loaded/compressed, BUT the wheel is off the ground, and then rotate it slowly, you would probably be able to feel it (it you unload the suspension, the joint gets moved out of where it would normally ride)
Old 07-10-2011, 02:39 PM
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
I'm pretty sure if you went for an alignment after you drop it, it'll fix a lot of your problems. Once you change the ride height of a car, everything changes along with it, such as chamber and toe. And I would get the alignment done quick if you want to see your tires last more than a month. From stock TypeS height to a 2 inch drop, you're looking at about 10 degree toe which will destroy your tires within a matter of weeks.
The following users liked this post:
friesm2000 (07-10-2011)
Old 07-10-2011, 03:06 PM
B A N N E D

and i did not even think about the toe being that severe yet , but yeah if your toe is BAD enough, it will also cause the tires to literally skip across the pavement, which you might be feeling as a shimmy in the wheel, so maybe new axles just not yet, but at least an alignment though
Old 07-10-2011, 04:04 PM

Received 1,162 Likes on 847 Posts
Originally Posted by Ch33sE1
everything changes along with it, such as chamber and toe.
*camber
Old 07-13-2011, 10:16 AM
6th Gear

Yeah i'm getting my alignment done soon once my rear camber kit comes in. I can really do anything about the front camber because one of my friends said if the car is pretty low then i cant really adjust the front camber because it will keep running into the fenders. Plus some cars come stock negative camber and that's not going to be a big problem i just need to get everything else aligned. But i will let you guys know whats the problem is after i get the alignment and get everything else looked at.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:17 AM
6th Gear

I really hope its the camber but my friend said that its probably the axels because it only happens when accelerating and not any other time. Do you guys think i should get them rebuilt or just get brand new one?
Old 08-04-2011, 04:10 PM
"Like None Other"

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
i am having this same exact issue with the car vibrating upon acceleration from 15-20 mph then completly stops after 20 mph then comes back around 70-85 mph...its very annoyin as my car used to ride smooth while lowered.

a lil history, i actually had replaced my axles (one brand new and one repaired) and didnt have a problem. Then the repaired axle snapped one day and left me stranded. i replaced that axle with an aftermartket one, as i did the other previously and the car has not been the same since regarding this vibration issue. i am thinking of investigatin the tie rods or buying brand new OEM axles....i have a 6mt lowered on neuspeed supercup kit...soon to be ht-spec type1...

any thoughts?
Old 07-05-2015, 09:24 PM
1st Gear

This is the best answer!

I've been living the low life for the last 6 months this is NOT fun! I have replaced the axles twice first ones were used then second from raxles and the problem goes away for few weeks but it comes back. Just like our friend is saying can't mess with the suspension on some cars; at this point just thinking about buying a German most of them come lowered from factory.
Old 07-16-2015, 08:08 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
its the axel joint, could not get Acura to warranty it because everytime the inspector comes to drive the car it will not do it. crappy part is my warranty is out next month so im SOL>
Old 11-15-2017, 01:50 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Angry

Originally Posted by Ch33sE1
I'm pretty sure if you went for an alignment after you drop it, it'll fix a lot of your problems. Once you change the ride height of a car, everything changes along with it, such as chamber and toe. And I would get the alignment done quick if you want to see your tires last more than a month. From stock TypeS height to a 2 inch drop, you're looking at about 10 degree toe which will destroy your tires within a matter of weeks.
Definitely is not alignment. Took it to the shop for that and came back normal. No adjustment needed