Can Acura do this?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 09:01 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can Acura do this?

This post is almost a rant. As some of you may know my previous car was a 98 Honda Accord EX V6 Auto. I purchased it back in Fed 05 with 90,000 miles. I drove the car with no problems until I had 145,000 miles. I noticed after long trips the tranny would hum and sometimes jerk into Drive coming from Reverse. Reading on the Accord forums they were amazed that the tranny even lasted me this long. Some have failed but Honda sometimes does a "good will" replacement if its out of its warranty. I didn't want to take that chance and get screwed, so I traded the car in on an Acura TL and noticed on the test drive the transmisson lurched into the gears at Wide open throttle. Also the steering wheel buttons wern't backlit. The dealer explained to me that its just cold they all shift like that But wasn't sure about the steering wheel buttons. I figure since I have a 100,000 warranty I'll be ok.

A week later I returned to the dealer to have them replace the passenger seat heater light, the 3rd brake light stop working and also the Steering wheel buttons

Light was replaced on the heated seat and 3 brake light was fixed. But I was told that none of the buttons on the steering wheel are not suppose to light up. I asked why the buttons for the navigation system and the Bluetooth are backlit but not the rest of them? H e just left it at the fact they're not suppose to work.

Ok so fast foward to 2 months later. I was getting annoyed with the high rpm harsh shifting and my bluetooth stop working plus the gauge cluster lights stopped auto dimming. So I went to a different dealer. My service advisor explained to me that there would be a diagnostic fee of 85.00 to check it out the transmisson. I agreed. They call back 2 days later (15th Sept)and say the technicain noticed the harsh shifting and high pitch whine so they are replacing the transmisson under warranty. Also he said they will give me a rental car since they didn't have any loaners. I arrive at the service department 2 hrs later and my service advisor mentions that they couldn't find a problem with the HFL or the gauge cluster lights. So I demostate it for them but to no avail it work all of a sudden....wtf? Ok I'm not sure what happend there...maybe they reset the battery or something but atleast its working. They call enterprise and get me into a 06 Hyundai Sonata Light blue...yuck. I would have settled for a TSX but at least I'm getting a car.

Yesterday I get a call from my Acura service advisor and he tells me that the transmission came in late but they should have it ready later that day or today. But the steering wheel buttons are not covered under warranty and will be $230 to replace. So I said nevermind...don't worry about. I'll take it back to the dealer I got the car from and just make them do it for free since I mentioned it when I bought the car (Have previous ticket).

Today...expecting my car to be ready he calls to tell me that the Technican wants to keep the car over night to check for leaks etc. And I won't get the car until monday. Also I will have a pay a diagnostic charge of $90.00 for the steering wheel lights. I asked why am I being charged a diagnostic fee? I already new the lights didn't work! He said they had to open it up and make sure if it was just the bulbs or a wiring problem. I'm getting pissed off at this point...but trying to remain calm as possible. I tell him I don't agree with this charge because I didn't authorized them to take it apart. I simply asked if they were suppose to work and if they would be covered under warranty.
Then his story changes and says I still have to pay that charge to check out the HFL and gauged cluster. Does this seem right guys?

I think I'm going to fight this one. I don't like being ripped off!!:
Old 09-23-2006, 07:34 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
If your car is under warranty, then the gauge cluster, bluetooth, and sterring buttons should be covered under warranty. I would not let them make you pay for any diagnostic fee or any other fee.
Old 09-23-2006, 09:00 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From what you're saying, it sounds like the car is out of factory warranty and is now under the extended warranty. Is that right? If it is, I'd pay the diagnostic to the dealer you have it at and seek to be repaid by the selling dealer since they didn't know what the hell they were talking about when they said the lights didn't work and they were supposed to.
Old 09-23-2006, 11:24 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Talk to the manager of the service department. If that doesnt work, either speak to the regional rep. or call Acura customer service and file a complaint. I did that when I was charged a diag. fee for something that was under warranty. Next time my car was in there, money back and no problems at all. If you can, just dont pay the bill and try to work it out on the spot.
Old 09-23-2006, 11:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
I just got my navigation/bluetooth switch replaced under warranty because they didn't all light up
Old 09-25-2006, 12:00 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
Cometvr4, I just checked one of your earlier post. You bought used with over 50K miles I think. Did you buy from an Acura Dealer? Even if you did, your car is out of factory warranty. What kind of warranty do you have if any? If there is a warranty, I agree with NC Silver.

We can't respond to what you can expect because we don't know what your contract states.
Old 09-25-2006, 01:03 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
^^^ Very true. I did not know he bought his TL used. That can make a big difference in regards to disgnostics fees ans such.
Old 09-25-2006, 02:38 PM
The Boss

I have to tell ya. I've had 2 honda before this TL and many domestic muscles cars too. I have to say the Ford, Chevy dealerships were excellent in service and Honda (Burns Honda) is by far THE BEST service I've had. Having that said, Acura dealership is by far the worst! I can never get a hold of the service tech on the phone, if I did, it would be a 5 minute wait before I can reach one of them. Appointments are scheduled a week later and they never seem to be able to find shit let along charge me tons of money.
When I used to take my car to Burns Honda (my accord and civic), I never made any appointments and the service manager there (Paul) is as friendly as anyone can be. I mean... Acura is suppose to be a higher brand.. and yet service is terrible.

The last time I took my car to Acura dealership was say.... 1.5 yrs ago. I take my car to Honda for minor problems.
Old 09-25-2006, 11:26 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
New Guy here, but I do know if you purchased a CPO Acura from an Acura Dealership, then the factory warranty is extended for an additional 12 months/12,000 miles. However, if you purchased a non CPO vehicle out of warranty, then just foot the bill for non warrantied stuff.

Keep in mind that whatever fees Acura Dealerships charge to diagnose a warranty repair is also covered under warranty. As for the steering lights...just take the repair order from this dealership to the dealership that you purchased the car from and say; "see, I told you, now fix my car!"... that always works for me!

By the way, glad to be here and glad to be a TL owner! (This is my 2nd Acura...previous cars: BMW 328i BMW 330Ci Lexus IS300
Old 09-26-2006, 12:51 AM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Sorry, I missed something. This is directly related to this thread how? Not sure but can you get a CPO with over 50K miles?

Originally Posted by AcuraDriver2006
I have to tell ya. I've had 2 honda before this TL and many domestic muscles cars too. I have to say the Ford, Chevy dealerships were excellent in service and Honda (Burns Honda) is by far THE BEST service I've had. Having that said, Acura dealership is by far the worst! I can never get a hold of the service tech on the phone, if I did, it would be a 5 minute wait before I can reach one of them. Appointments are scheduled a week later and they never seem to be able to find shit let along charge me tons of money.
When I used to take my car to Burns Honda (my accord and civic), I never made any appointments and the service manager there (Paul) is as friendly as anyone can be. I mean... Acura is suppose to be a higher brand.. and yet service is terrible.

The last time I took my car to Acura dealership was say.... 1.5 yrs ago. I take my car to Honda for minor problems.
Old 09-26-2006, 07:34 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by AcuraDriver2006

Unless you have a friend, or a tech that you have do regular work for you, a tech is not going to talk to a customer to give them free advice. They're at a dealership to make a living, not be a troubleshooting tech or give free information out over the phone. Are you saying the service is terrible (they won't answer the phone, appointments take too long, no loaner car, etc.) or that they won't tell you how to fix something? Also, if they can't ever find the problem, can you show them how to duplicate it easily. Does it happen every time driven, once a day, once a year. Driving style is different for each driver, are you driving it aggressively, under what conditions and so on.

My dealership has been courteous and professional. I usually make appointments for one to two weeks out and I've received loaner cars for when it's in for service. For maintenance and service that I'll do on my own, I've purchased a service manual.
Old 09-28-2006, 07:10 PM
Racer

I picked up my TL Monday. Transmisson shift so smooth now. The whole car is smoother. I just payed the $90. It wasn't a big deal since I did get a new transmisson.

To clear some things up. My car does have a warranty until 69K miles and a transmisson warranty until 100,000. I bought the car from Lindsay Acura with 57,000 miles. It was a Certified Pre Owned
Old 09-28-2006, 10:40 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Originally Posted by CometVR4
I picked up my TL Monday. Transmisson shift so smooth now. The whole car is smoother. I just payed the $90. It wasn't a big deal since I did get a new transmisson.

To clear some things up. My car does have a warranty until 69K miles and a transmisson warranty until 100,000. I bought the car from Lindsay Acura with 57,000 miles. It was a Certified Pre Owned
Good for you, thanks for the additional info to clear things up.
Old 09-29-2006, 12:14 AM
Racer

Now its just the matter or seeing would Lindsay Acura replace my steering wheel lights for free since I complained about it when I first bought the car and they told me they wern't suppose to work.