Brake pulsation at high speeds - couldn't fix myself, need help

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 06:18 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Brake pulsation at high speeds - couldn't fix myself, need help

Hey guys,

Could you please folks from Toronto recommend a high performance garage I can take my TL to?

I have been trying to fix this brake vibration at high speeds for months now, replaced 2 sets of rotors and pads, lower ball joints, inspected suspension, steering, I don't know where else to look.
At this point, I am willing to take my TL to someone else experienced, it is going to be first time in 5 years, but I am giving up, I can not fix the brake pulsation myself.

So, please tell me if you guys know a good garage up here in GTA (Toronto), I need someone who has the experience to trouble shoot the whole front end, I have the feeling my brake pulsation is coming from suspension / steering...

Thanks in advance!!!

Catalin
Old 12-09-2013, 06:25 AM

Received 1,162 Likes on 847 Posts
What kind of rotor? Did you bed them in correctly? If they are not bedded in correctly it could be why they vibrate.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:33 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
Have you swapped tires front to back? Or even replaced them? Eg put your snows on?
Old 12-09-2013, 04:03 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,843 Likes on 8,574 Posts
Still need more info on the issue. How severe is the pulsation / vibration and at what speeds do you notice it / not notice it. Any change in your wheels / tires. Any noises clicks, hums, or other vibrations at speed (e.g. not braking)?
Old 12-09-2013, 06:55 PM
Advanced

Thanks guys.

Yup, bedded them in every time when I replaced the pads and also when I replaced the all set, rotors/pads. Within the last 5 years I did such jobs on my cars 3-4 times, my wife's twice and once on my sister's. All but my car are just fine.
I rebalanced the wheels, swapped front with rear wheels as well.
I now run the winter tires since yesterday and the vibration is slightly higher even.

The vibration starts being very annoying at 80Km/h and higher. Now its cold but I recall when it was hot outside, few months ago, the first 2-3 brakes on the highway were fairly okay, but it was getting so much worse afterwards.
It initially led me to the impression that the rotors were bad and would warp at high temperatures or so. This is why I replaced 2 sets of rotors/pads so far.
But I now believe that the brake components could be just fine, but there is something else which just takes the very lite pulsation (which I believe all brake in this world have) and amplifies it, this must be the culprit.

Doing lots of research I was going to find our that so many other parts in the front end could contribute to such brake vibration, such as suspension and steering.
I checked the ball joints, lower, upper, tire rods, arms etc, no play. The only issue I found with the steering shaft, but it is very little and I could feel it from under the dash, where it connects with the steering column. This play could be in the steering box, but not sure if this could cause the brake vibration and replacing it will cost me an arm and a leg, not sure I want to do the experiment.

This is why I am now willing yo pay someone who does this jobs every day and tell me where the problems is.

Catalin
Old 12-10-2013, 04:54 AM

Received 1,162 Likes on 847 Posts
no matter how much experience you have, theres only so many factors that can influence braking vibrations
Old 12-10-2013, 06:18 AM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Bad inner or outer CV-joints can cause a vibration. This usually happens also under normal conditions of just driving from 50-70 mph. Symptoms can feel like out of balance wheels. You can also have vibrations when making a sharp turn from a stop, also can have clicking noises when turning and moving from a stop. It can feel like a very minor brake pulsation.

Shifting belt in a tire will cause a vibration, usually again like whacked out balance on the wheels. Wheels can be checked out by a road force machine to assure 100% accuracy. It can feel like it's a very minor brake pulsation.

Bad motor mounts can also cause vibrations. This is more felt at idle and when moving from a stop you can also hear a loud Clunk. In most extreme cases of the engine having blown motor mounts, while braking the engine vibrates, causing a symptom like bad brake pulsation.

Upper and lower ball joints and lower control arm bushings. If any of these are torn and or have excessive play, best believe it will cause a symptom like brake pulsation. You may get a pull or tug from the steering wheel as you brake, you may get a loud clank noise when going over bumps.

I know you replaced the rotors, did you check and lube the caliper slides? In very few cases is can cause brake pulsations.

Check out this website. Go through the pages.
http://www.ericthecarguy.com/faq/det...s?limitstart=0
Old 12-10-2013, 10:18 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,843 Likes on 8,574 Posts
When was the last time you changed your brake fluid? What condition are your lower compliance bushings? Are the road conditions slick where you are (i.e. could it be ABS)?
Old 12-10-2013, 04:57 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by 04WDPSeDaN
Bad inner or outer CV-joints can cause a vibration. This usually happens also under normal conditions of just driving from 50-70 mph. Symptoms can feel like out of balance wheels. You can also have vibrations when making a sharp turn from a stop, also can have clicking noises when turning and moving from a stop. It can feel like a very minor brake pulsation.
Its only when I push the brakes.

Shifting belt in a tire will cause a vibration, usually again like whacked out balance on the wheels. Wheels can be checked out by a road force machine to assure 100% accuracy. It can feel like it's a very minor brake pulsation.
I already swapped tires also I put the winters, its the same.

Bad motor mounts can also cause vibrations. This is more felt at idle and when moving from a stop you can also hear a loud Clunk. In most extreme cases of the engine having blown motor mounts, while braking the engine vibrates, causing a symptom like bad brake pulsation.
Let me look into the mounts as well, this is a good point even though the clunk sound I get when driving over the bumps I thought it was from the play I got in the steering shaft.

Upper and lower ball joints and lower control arm bushings. If any of these are torn and or have excessive play, best believe it will cause a symptom like brake pulsation. You may get a pull or tug from the steering wheel as you brake, you may get a loud clank noise when going over bumps.
Yes, but I checked all these and no play, at least what I was able to check with the pry bar I have.

I know you replaced the rotors, did you check and lube the caliper slides? In very few cases is can cause brake pulsations.
Yup.

Thanks for your post!
Old 12-10-2013, 05:14 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 194 Posts
I've run into rear rotors causing a pulsation that I would have sworn could only be fronts. You're not clear if you've included the rears in your research. Yes they will make the steering wheel shake.
Old 12-10-2013, 09:38 PM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
If you have a stop and go feeling when you are coming to a stop then its your rotors/pads...

I check check them grease them up again if needed, clean and grease the slider pins....have you gotten your rotors cut recently?
Old 12-11-2013, 06:35 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by swoosh
If you have a stop and go feeling when you are coming to a stop then its your rotors/pads...

I check check them grease them up again if needed, clean and grease the slider pins....have you gotten your rotors cut recently?
Greased them so many times, that was when I was starting troubleshooting this issue.
I am not sure about machining, because I have the dial gauge and all 4 rotors, in and out are within +-2 thou, hence not warped.
Old 12-11-2013, 06:38 AM
Advanced

But guys, do would you recommend any shop up here in Toronto where I can go to?
This troubleshooting is getting out of control cause my wife really needs me inside the house to help with the 2 toddlers.
I have been ignoring my family and putting time into this issues for some time and it is time to hand this over to someone who (I hope) will fix it in minutes or hours.

Thanks.

Catalin