Body Shop Wants to Rape Me

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2005, 01:08 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Body Shop Wants to Rape Me

Long story short - dropped a floor scraper on it. Got a slight dent to go along with the scratch:

Body shop quoted $1100 - said they have to also paint the 1/4-panel to get a good blend. Whatever.

Got a $350 quote from a mobile dent repair/paint guy (not paintless repair). Any suggestions before I pull the trigger on this? Thanks for any input.
Old 11-18-2005, 01:39 AM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
They aren't lying when they say they have to paint the quarter panel to blend. It's close enough that it will probably be have to be done. Plus SSM is a bitch to match.

However, 1,100 seems pretty high. But it does require a lot of work, like taking everything off that door panel like the handle, window trims, etc. It's not like a hood where you just paint a giant flat surface with nothing in the way.

How about getting another quote or two? It wouldn't hurt.
Old 11-18-2005, 02:55 AM
Cold Racketeer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you might try a dent popper and touch up the paint for a very cheap solution. Could look anywhere from "better" to "sort of okay"
Old 11-18-2005, 02:38 PM
B A N N E D

I would check around...get more quoted. In my estimation...something along $600 is probably more in line with what a body shop would charge in my area for something like that. $1100 is what they would probably charge the insurance co though...and prob why they are pricing it so. Did you mention you were self-pay?
Old 11-18-2005, 06:25 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 184 Likes on 131 Posts
I think the repainting may be a cure worse than just touching it up and living with it. Repainted surfaces never, in my opinion, look good over the long haul. If you plan on owning the car for any period of time then it is probable you will regret doing lots of paint work over something as minor as that.

Trust me. I would be very upset if I had that scratch but I have also seen how shitty painted door, or blend, can look just 2 years later. In the end I am sure I would just do the minimally invasive repair; touch up.

Get the dent worked out if you want (paint-less dent removal) and touch up the scratch. Two years down the road you will just have a touch up area. If you go with the full paint method you could end up with mismatched colors/metallic, paint peeling back from where it was masked (if they are too lazy/cheap to remove things) or worse. I know I'd live with a bit of touch up but would be pissed to have a mismatched, peeling area years later.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 11-18-2005, 06:35 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
seems real high. i had a similiar dent/scratch though it was the black paint...quote i got required them to spray the rear quarter and the door or something like that...fixing the dent and the paint was around 660....i got dent removal to take out the dent and then use touch up on the scratch...looks fine now.

the scratch on your door is much bigger than what i had, however, so i dont think touch up will fix it in your case. have you shopped around for more quotes?
Old 11-19-2005, 01:09 AM
Instructor

Thanks for the replies. Now that the initial sting from the damage has subsided (I don't even have my license plates yet!), I'm beginning to accept that I'll likely have to go the DIY route, or at most, hire a dent repair guy, then touch up.

I did get a $350 quote from a mobile dent repair/paint guy (not paintless), but I think I'm going to pass. Tomorrow, I'm going to see if any detailers can do anything for me at a reasonable price.
Old 11-19-2005, 06:29 PM
Intermediate

I feel your pain. Had a car wash put some fresh scratchs in my bumper...only 2000 mi on the car. Ugg.

I agree with Adobeman though. You really want to think twice before repainting something. Unless it's done by a really top notch shop, you'll have troubles with color and texture matches (especially in full sunlight). Anthracite is tricky because of the metalic quality.

Check the shops references before committing. Look at some of their other jobs and judge for yourself. Make sure it's not a cheap mom and pop place. If you see guys painting cheap cars in dusty garages with the doors open, look elsewhere.

It can be done but you need a good place that stands behind the work. Measure twice, cut once.
Old 11-20-2005, 02:03 PM
Instructor

OK, I got mobile, paintless dent repair guy to remove the dent.

Pretty good job. Set me back $150. Pricey, but not body shop rape. More like getting groped or fondled. I can now decide which way I want to go with the paint - DIY, detailer, paint shop, etc.
Old 11-22-2005, 02:15 AM
Instructor

my two cents most body shops just rush to make money,but most of the time you get what you pay for,cheap is not always better in this case,body work is very hard
look for a shop that does lots of custom cars,mostly they do the best work but charge for it
and if they dont give a warranty on there work dont use them
check around helps,remember your not checking around for price,your checking for quality work
you can always finds some one cheaper
but good work is hard to find
good luck
Old 11-22-2005, 03:44 AM
Instructor

^ ^ Thanks for your input. Make sense. I can screw it up myself for free! Yeah, now that the dent is gone, I'm going to take my time w/the paint repair.
Old 11-22-2005, 11:08 AM
Advanced

I dont think the quote is that far off. I had 2 dents like that from a tire that hit my BMW (passenger door and front 1/4 panel) and it was $2500 to fix it....they painted the entire side so there would be no question about it matching....

sorry for your trouble.