Blown fuse..fob/lighting is messed up

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 09:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 282 Likes on 233 Posts
Blown fuse..fob/lighting is messed up

K guys I need some help. I was trying to swap some LEDs in my trunk tonight and ended up blowing a fuse. Ended up replacing fuse #6 with the back up fuse, and the lights work but here's my problem.

Neither of my key fobs work. I can't lock or unlock the car. I have to manually unlock it to get into the car. Now when I open the door the only lights that come on are the courtesy lights. The switch for the dome lights is set in the middle so they should be coming on when I open the door. They only turn on if I leave the door open and start the car. Now another problem is that when I turn off the car it's like everything shuts off. I can't even use the lock/unlock buttons on the door because those are powerless too when the car is off.

Any idea wtf I did and how I can fix the key fobs/problems?
Old 03-26-2013, 09:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
Anyone?
Old 03-26-2013, 09:54 PM
Pro

Received 133 Likes on 127 Posts
I would like to know how did you fix your problem just in case I decide to switch out my interior lights
Old 03-27-2013, 12:16 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 591 Likes on 455 Posts
additional blown fuse?
Old 03-30-2013, 03:39 PM
Burning Brakes

Wow I forgot about this thread since it went so long unanswered haha

I didn't fix the problem. Went to an acura dealership to get a diagnosis completed, and it came back with multiple problems. They wanted to charge me straight time just to figure out what was causing the problem because they said they had no idea what could be causing the problem. I personally think it's bullshit and they just want to dick around to make some money @ $115/hour. I'll be going to a friend who has a shop Monday and he's going to try a couple things to figure out what's wrong with it. So hopefully it'll be fixed by him. Same problem as my first post though, the key fob has no connection to the car so I need to manually unlock/lock my door. Interior lights don't work until the engine is started, and as soon as I turn the engine off, everything loses power. Odometer keeps resetting back to 0, and my clock is completely black.

If anyone is actually even reading this, the pic below is what the acura dealership completed:

oh and I've checked all the fuses to see if there was an additional one busted, but they all seemed intact.
Old 03-31-2013, 04:45 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Might want to check your battery and terminal for corrosion. Read some where while doing a search for abs codes that a weak or dying battery will have the TL's sensors and electronics go haywire.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:04 AM
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
You have numerous lost of communication codes. I wouldn't be surprised if you smoked yor MICU, or you def missed a fuse.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:35 AM
Burning Brakes

Well I found the problem.....

Fuse #7 on the inside fuse box says back up in the Acura handbook so I assumed it was just an extra fuse to be used as "back up". I grabbed another "backup" 7.5 amp fuse from the fuse box in the engine bay and swapped it into fuse #7 on the inside, and what do you know, my key fob works again and everything is back to normal. Now the only problem is that my lights don't flicker when I lock my doors, and my fog lights don't work when my car is running, soooo I just need to buy another 7.5 fuse for the engine bay fuse box and I should be good. Thank god I didn't go to the dealership for this.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:20 AM
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
If you did go to the dealership, they would have found that fuse. The back up fuse isn't a "spare fuse" that's why they are labeled the way they are. Sounds like you just need to reprogram your key fob now.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:55 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 3rdGenHybrid
If you did go to the dealership, they would have found that fuse. The back up fuse isn't a "spare fuse" that's why they are labeled the way they are. Sounds like you just need to reprogram your key fob now.
Yeah I'm pretty sure I was right when I said the dealership definitely knew the problem, they just wanted to make a quick buck by having me come in for $115/hour service.

But yup definitely my mistake for thinking the backup was a spare fuse. I have an empty backup fuse slot in the engine bay now so I'll be buying a fuse today and hopefully that will fix the flicker when locking the doors. Connection is back between the car and the key fob so I can unlock the doors again, power stays on after turning the car off, my odometer doesn't reset anymore, annnd I have my digital clock back, so overall I'm happy.
Old 06-05-2019, 03:59 PM
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by story.customz
Yeah I'm pretty sure I was right when I said the dealership definitely knew the problem, they just wanted to make a quick buck by having me come in for $115/hour service.

But yup definitely my mistake for thinking the backup was a spare fuse. I have an empty backup fuse slot in the engine bay now so I'll be buying a fuse today and hopefully that will fix the flicker when locking the doors. Connection is back between the car and the key fob so I can unlock the doors again, power stays on after turning the car off, my odometer doesn't reset anymore, annnd I have my digital clock back, so overall I'm happy.
Had this same problem. Thanks for the write-up and DIY. Used a spare from under the hood; all fixed.