Best Buy Install Issue - Insurance Wont Pay For Damage Done

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 09:58 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry Best Buy Install Issue - Insurance Wont Pay For Damage Done

Hey Everyone,
Im new to the AZ forums, but I am having a serious issue with an install taht I got done at Best Buy. Back in teh beginning of May I had the Pie X3 Installed into my 2005 Acura Tl, and I noticed after the install taht the climate control buttons no longer lit up, aloong with a few lights on the radio portion of the dash. I took the car back to Best Buy, and they said that in order to fix the radio dash lights, they would have to get a whole new radio. To be honest this was fine with me because it involved a claim by their insurance provider, and Ill take 1400 dollars for a new radio any day, considering I can get one off ebay and pocket the extra cash. Well, I was wrong. After the insurance company got in contact with me, they told me that the Best Buy is not claiming fault, and that they are not going to pay for the radio. This is cleary best buys fault. How can someone tell me that its not their fault that my radio lights dont work afte rthey ripped my dash apart to do the work. Even further more, the part of the radio dashlighst taht dont work are centered aorund the XM button, which is where they have to go behind to get access to the correct wire harness. Btw, the reason they have to get a whole new radio for these dash lights is because these specific dash lights on the radio are acually part of the radio motherboard. The claims adjuster said that they will not pay for the radio, but the other climate control lights "as a curtosey". This is clearly an issue that I am going to take to small claims court if I dont get any satisfaction from best buys insuraqnce company, but in the meanwhile, I was wondering if anyone had any other ideas as to how I can get the insurance company to pay for it, considering it is clearly best buys fault. Thanks in advance!!!
Old 05-28-2010, 10:11 AM
Race Director

Received 277 Likes on 161 Posts
Did you drive off the Best Buy lot? The moment you did you agreed to the services...

Best Buy is same as going for dinner to McDonalds... low quality. They don't know anything... Post pictures of exactly what is burnt out so we can provide better info to your inquiry.

good luck.
Old 05-28-2010, 10:13 AM
Race Director

Received 1,795 Likes on 1,348 Posts
First, the obvious question:

Did you check the fuses, specifically 6,7,21 and 32 in the under dash fuse box?
Old 05-28-2010, 11:05 AM
Instructor

Yes, the fuses are all good to go. The buttons that do not light up is the XM Button on the radio, along the two button son either side (am/fm and Tune/sound i belive). However, they are on the radio, so they are part of the motherboard. Also, its only those three buttoms that are affected on the radio - which is directly where the install took place.
Old 05-28-2010, 12:18 PM
Race Director

Received 1,795 Likes on 1,348 Posts
OK, not familiar with the PIE install requirements, but IF it's anything like the USA SPEC (which I have done myself), it's hooked into the back of the unit to the 14-pin harness. The only reason they took your dash/console apart is to be able to remove the side panel by the driver's right knee to make it easier to get to the back of the unit. They didn't need to take apart your dash/console to get to the plug, but it is much easier once it's apart. As far as I know, they did not (should not have) removed any part of the radio/climate control/ faceplate and they should not have (didn't need to) get "behind the XM button". They (should have) only removed the silver side strips, and a couple of screws in the center/forward console in order to remove the knee panel. This gives them access to the back of the unit and the 14-pin plug.

Here's a good link to show what I think they did/should have done:

http://photos.imageevent.com/astrobo...bleinstall.pdf

I'm not sure how this would have contributed to those lights being burned out.

Again, this only applies if the PIE is hooked into the 14-pin connector at the back of the unit. If it doesn't, then I just wasted 5 minutes of my time.

Last edited by nfnsquared; 05-28-2010 at 12:22 PM.
Old 05-28-2010, 08:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 301 Likes on 258 Posts
ahhhh, i hate hearing about people take cars like a TL to a place like best buy. they dont have the know how to work with cars like our TLs. best buy will hire ANYONE. the mickeydees analogy is correct. dont take your TL to best buy!!!
Old 05-28-2010, 08:15 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by nttstt444
ahhhh, i hate hearing about people take cars like a TL to a place like best buy. they dont have the know how to work with cars like our TLs. best buy will hire ANYONE. the mickeydees analogy is correct. dont take your TL to best buy!!!
+1.

The first mistake was taking your car to Best Buy. Sorry to hear this.
Old 05-28-2010, 11:51 PM
Racer

guys best buy isnt all bad...they do what they can and its probably that particular installer because the one at our store is the best when it comes to honda/acura's even tho he wont admit it. i had my isimple ipod adapter installed behind my navi unit and all my lights lit up just fine after the install and to this day. all im saying is its just that dude that says hes a INSTALLER but lacks knowledge around some higher end cars.

Next time i would ask if they have worked on TL's before paying for the services.
Old 05-28-2010, 11:53 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by nttstt444
and we dont hire just anyone buddy. they gotta know their shit before we hire them at our store! and i know that for a fact cause the hiring process is bitch to get through.
Old 05-29-2010, 12:09 AM
Fearless DIY Guy

Received 374 Likes on 207 Posts
Check the red wire with the black stripe and silver banding on the white harness...this wire powers the radio lights. If it's cut, there's your issue.
Old 05-29-2010, 12:15 AM
Fearless DIY Guy

Received 374 Likes on 207 Posts
Alternatively, tap in to the lead and test with a 9V...this will allow you to perform a functionality test of the lights at the board to determine if it's the board or a wiring issue.

Worst case scenario you can buy a replacement lighting board from me...haha
Old 05-31-2010, 03:11 PM
6spd FTW

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts
Usually happens when an installer is rough with components that contain lights. Whenever I unplug something with a lot of backlighting I also disconnect the battery first to avoid localizing a powersurge. It may not make a difference but.. knock on wood I haven't had a damage claim in 5 years. It's all about the installer, not the company. Some of them just don't care while some of us actually take pride in our work and our names get passed along. Can't tell you how many expensive cars / exotics I have worked on there without a problem. I also know when to say no to a job if I know it has bad news written all over it.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:27 AM
Instructor

Thanks everyone for the helpful adivce. As it turns out, I demanded that they pay for the radio, and finally, after about 25 minutes of arguing on the phone with the adjuster, I recieved what I wanted. They are sending me an $1100 check to cover the costs of replacing the radio, along with teh cost of labor to get it done wherever I chose. I plan on going to world wide stereo. Evrything worked out pretty good, considering I purhcased a replacement radio for a little under 200$, and now I can usethe other $800 for upgrades to my TL!! Just goes to show you can get whatever you want, you just have to be assertive. Thanks again for all of the suggestions. If I couldnt find a radio that was as cheap as I did find one, then I would have probably went with your ideas for checking how to fix it.

- Carlo
Old 06-01-2010, 10:58 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by HokAy
Next time i would ask if they have worked on TL's before paying for the services.
"Sure we have!"

It ain't hard to lie.

The issue is not that ALL Best Buy installers are crap. Some are quite good. The issue is that it's a crapshoot whether or not you'll get one who's good, or one who destroys your car.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:12 AM
Chapter Leader (New England)

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by cicacci2190
Thanks everyone for the helpful adivce. As it turns out, I demanded that they pay for the radio, and finally, after about 25 minutes of arguing on the phone with the adjuster, I recieved what I wanted. They are sending me an $1100 check to cover the costs of replacing the radio, along with teh cost of labor to get it done wherever I chose. I plan on going to world wide stereo. Evrything worked out pretty good, considering I purhcased a replacement radio for a little under 200$, and now I can usethe other $800 for upgrades to my TL!! Just goes to show you can get whatever you want, you just have to be assertive. Thanks again for all of the suggestions. If I couldnt find a radio that was as cheap as I did find one, then I would have probably went with your ideas for checking how to fix it.

- Carlo
Congrats OP.