Battery and Dealer Issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 05:45 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Battery and Dealer Issues

Yesterday my 04 TL would not start because of a dead battery. Luckily, I have an external charger and left it on all night. This provided enough charge to get the engine to turn on and for me to head over to Sears to get a new battery today. The guy at Sears took one look at the battery and said he can't replace it and called over other mechanics who said the same thing. Apparently there was a lot of corrosion on the stems and they were afraid that it had gotten into the wires coming out of the positive terminal. Since there is a splice a few inches from the positive terminal they were worried the whole thing would break off and said I'd need to go to the dealer where they would at least have the wires in stock if they were to break. They did use their battery tester, though, to confirm that the battery was indeed bad. The corrosion did seem a lot worse than any other car I've seen so the Sears folks gave me a jumpstart and I headed back.

The issue I have with all this is that I had taken my TL in for a B2 service 8 days ago. In the sheet I got back from the dealer they said they did a battery check which came out normal. Now, I have been under the impression that batteries tend to show signs of degradation before dying. Shouldn't the dealer have detected the bad battery when they did the examination? Also, I believe the B2 includes an inspection of a lot of the engine parts. Shouldn't they have noticed the corrosion and brought it to my attention that day? I noticed that they definitely wiped some of the corrosion off the top of the battery because there are streak marks present from where a rag was used. Just wondering if the Sears guy made a bigger deal about the corrosion than necessary and the battery can be easily swapped out like usual? I'm assuming the Sears people would love a battery sale and would only say they can't do it if its really going to be a problem.

Also, since I'm still running the OEM battery, would all this corrosion be covered under warranty? I know I'd have to buy the new battery, but if indeed I need new cables would they be covered? I have an Acuracare extended warranty that requires a $100 deductible. However, I paid the deductible 8 days ago when I was in for the B2 on another warranty repair, so maybe I'd be able to get it included under the same work order.

Thanks for the help.
Old 09-20-2009, 09:34 PM
Racer

my battery went dead for the first time today, seperate issue..had not been driven in a month or so, just curious did you lose any of your settings like navi, HFL radio etc. I'm waiting till morning to call Acura for a jump so I'm curious about these settings don't know yet as my battery is deader than a doornail!!!
Old 09-20-2009, 11:35 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,147 Likes on 774 Posts
Originally Posted by ryder1650
... Apparently there was a lot of corrosion on the stems and they were afraid that it had gotten into the wires coming out of the positive terminal.
The issue I have with all this is that I had taken my TL in for a B2 service 8 days ago. In the sheet I got back from the dealer they said they did a battery check which came out normal. Now, I have been under the impression that batteries tend to show signs of degradation before dying. Shouldn't the dealer have detected the bad battery when they did the examination? Also, I believe the B2 includes an inspection of a lot of the engine parts. Shouldn't they have noticed the corrosion and brought it to my attention that day?
Yes, the dealer should have noted the corrosion. This makes me doubt that an inspection was actually done, FWIW.
I'd say the dealer should make it up to you with free new cable ends and a free new battery for "missing" that problem.

Sometimes battery tests will not show a battery with a dead cell which causes the entire battery to die with little notice.
The battery also has to work extra hard to get power through the corrosion at the connections.
Old 09-20-2009, 11:45 PM
Intermediate

Yesterday my 04 TL would not start because of a dead battery. Luckily, I have an external charger and left it on all night. This provided enough charge to get the engine to turn on and for me to head over to Sears to get a new battery today. The guy at Sears took one look at the battery and said he can't replace it and called over other mechanics who said the same thing. Apparently there was a lot of corrosion on the stems and they were afraid that it had gotten into the wires coming out of the positive terminal. Since there is a splice a few inches from the positive terminal they were worried the whole thing would break off and said I'd need to go to the dealer where they would at least have the wires in stock if they were to break. They did use their battery tester, though, to confirm that the battery was indeed bad. The corrosion did seem a lot worse than any other car I've seen so the Sears folks gave me a jumpstart and I headed back.

The issue I have with all this is that I had taken my TL in for a B2 service 8 days ago. In the sheet I got back from the dealer they said they did a battery check which came out normal. Now, I have been under the impression that batteries tend to show signs of degradation before dying. Shouldn't the dealer have detected the bad battery when they did the examination? Also, I believe the B2 includes an inspection of a lot of the engine parts. Shouldn't they have noticed the corrosion and brought it to my attention that day? I noticed that they definitely wiped some of the corrosion off the top of the battery because there are streak marks present from where a rag was used. Just wondering if the Sears guy made a bigger deal about the corrosion than necessary and the battery can be easily swapped out like usual? I'm assuming the Sears people would love a battery sale and would only say they can't do it if its really going to be a problem.

Also, since I'm still running the OEM battery, would all this corrosion be covered under warranty? I know I'd have to buy the new battery, but if indeed I need new cables would they be covered? I have an Acuracare extended warranty that requires a $100 deductible. However, I paid the deductible 8 days ago when I was in for the B2 on another warranty repair, so maybe I'd be able to get it included under the same work order.

Thanks for the help.

unfortunately, the cables would not be covered under your warranty, this is because they were not a factory defect but were ruined/destroyed by the battery which is considered a normal wear item...

however, it never hurts to ask, you might get a service guy to write it up as something else....
Old 09-21-2009, 12:24 AM
Instructor

I had the same issue as you did. There was plenty of corrosion on my wires I just used a screw driver and banged most of it off and cut a nice clean cut in it. I would also suggest some battery cleaner to clean the corrosion.
Old 09-21-2009, 01:14 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by skyfox23
my battery went dead for the first time today, seperate issue..had not been driven in a month or so, just curious did you lose any of your settings like navi, HFL radio etc. I'm waiting till morning to call Acura for a jump so I'm curious about these settings don't know yet as my battery is deader than a doornail!!!
Well the battery never went completely dead; there was enough charge to turn on the dash lights but not enough to turn the engine on. However, when the battery is replaced I believe most of the settings will have to be reset in the HFL and radio.
Old 09-21-2009, 01:18 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by PhillyxMartin
I had the same issue as you did. There was plenty of corrosion on my wires I just used a screw driver and banged most of it off and cut a nice clean cut in it. I would also suggest some battery cleaner to clean the corrosion.
So are you saying that the battery worked fine after the corrosion was cleaned up? I'm still running the same 5.5 year old OEM battery, so I think it is likely dead since its not holding charge. Unless the corrosion is somehow causing a short that allows the current to leak out.

The corrosion is pretty substantial and seems to have spread down the wire on the positive electrode. I'm worried that the wires have become brittle and if they break I'd probably need a tow into the dealer.
Old 09-21-2009, 01:34 AM
Instructor

So are you saying that the battery worked fine after the corrosion was cleaned up? I'm still running the same 5.5 year old OEM battery, so I think it is likely dead since its not holding charge. Unless the corrosion is somehow causing a short that allows the current to leak out.

The corrosion is pretty substantial and seems to have spread down the wire on the positive electrode. I'm worried that the wires have become brittle and if they break I'd probably need a tow into the dealer.
Yes Cleaned up the corrosion replaced the battery and it's been good ever since. Well I'm not exactly sure how bad your wires are but mine were pretty bad I just banged the corrosion off of the wires cleaned it up with some battery cleaner, replaced battery terminals and I have been fine since.

Last edited by PhillyxMartin; 09-21-2009 at 01:37 AM.
Old 09-21-2009, 06:29 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
Clean the cables with a mixture of baking soda and water. You can use a toothbrush to apply the paste, or even make it watery and dip the cable ends into a container. After installation of new battery, apply some petroleum jelly over the cables after connected, or spray on some CRC battery terminal protectant, good stuff.

Just an FYI-The daughter drove her Jeep Hemi Grand to work last Thursday, OE battery. Stopped at WaWA, started then stopped to get gas, then on to work. Noon time she came out to go to lunch and the car was dead, absolutely nothing. Lights were barely on, no starter etc. Battery gone that quickly.

Last edited by Turbonut; 09-21-2009 at 06:33 AM.
Old 09-21-2009, 02:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

So I just got back from the dealer. They were not able to provide an answer as to why the corrosion was not addressed during the B2 and why they did not attach the results of their battery tester (which the service receipt said should be attached). Apparently, Acura has a special tester that will gauge how much life is left in your battery, so make sure that you get the full readings put onto your service report so you at least have some idea of how much battery you have left.

Because of the inconvenience they caused by not inspecting and reporting everything the first time they agreed to do the repairs under warranty using the deductible I had already paid a week ago. Thanks for your help everyone.
Old 09-24-2009, 11:35 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
After replacing my battery on my TL, at the Dealership, none of the battery's have a "green eye" indicator. This means the small black hole in my plastic molding is worthless.

What the heck is up with that?
Old 09-25-2009, 07:45 PM
mthaze20

battery issues

The same thing is happening to my '08 with navi with 27k miles on it. Only the dealership told me that it wasn't the battery and that it was a completely corodid positive battery ternminal. I, like you, had the dealership do an inspection two months ago in which they stated that the battery was in perfect condidion. Somethings ups here.

Thanks for the help.