Is this bad battery or starter?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 08:59 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Is this bad battery or starter?

I replaced my batter 2 years ago...and put maybe 25k miles since then.

The past 3 weeks, if i get in my car and quickly start the car (im driving a lot for work and i will start it before i even close the door), i get the clicking sound for maybe 2 seconds and then i stop for a few seconds, then try again and it turns on fine. Not a friendly sound....

Anyway, today finally the car didnt start. no clicking, the internal lights went on after first stage of turning the key but nothing after that.

I walked to the gas station and they give me a self starter battery to hook up and start it. The first couple of times i tried, nothing happened. Finally i repositioned the cables and it started! I was able to drive and leave it at sears for tommorow as they were closed. When i was driving home the nav screen was flickering a little....

Im worried that it is the starter because i hear that is very expensive to replace!! Car has 60k miles, 2004 TL. I also noticed the battery connectors had a lot of white ash on them....

Can anyone guess if it is starter or battery based on this info?
Old 07-10-2009, 09:26 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,102 Likes on 763 Posts
It sounds like your battery cables are causing the problem. Loose or corroded cables (the "white ash" = corrosion) have caused no-start and intermittent-start problems for some other members here.
Check the battery cable connections at each end too once you replace the bad cable(s)-- car/ground side as well as at the battery post clamps, and use the anti-corrosion post pads.

Your battery may be revived by some driving if the cable is the only problem.

G/L.
Old 07-11-2009, 05:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had the same problem couple weeks ago..

bout to go to work and put the key in ignition but no power whatsoever

pop the hood and found out the cable were loose..

if u drive and your cable comes loose, ur car will die and u will be stuck in the middle of traffic

make sure to tighten it..Good luck
Old 07-12-2009, 10:40 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Will Y.
It sounds like your battery cables are causing the problem. Loose or corroded cables (the "white ash" = corrosion) have caused no-start and intermittent-start problems for some other members here.
Check the battery cable connections at each end too once you replace the bad cable(s)-- car/ground side as well as at the battery post clamps, and use the anti-corrosion post pads.

Your battery may be revived by some driving if the cable is the only problem.

G/L.
+... That clicking noise is almost always associated with a bad battery cable connection.
Old 07-13-2009, 01:48 AM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts
OEM batteries are also known for lasting 2 years. Not much more than that. Not all of them, but just search a little and you'll see the results. My starter quit on me around 80k miles, I think. It wouldn't click or anything. Until I smacked in on the side with the lug wrench. I got a starter from the local parts store for ~$120. I had to do some research and finally asked for a starter for a Honda Oddesy (I think). It had an extra bracket that was easily removed and it is still working great today. I also had a battery go bad (OEM battery). It started getting slow to crank one day while running errands and I threw an Optima Red-top in it. No problems since. Check you cables then have the battery tested after charging it. Or leave it at Sears and let them fix it.
Old 07-13-2009, 03:36 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
^ huh... my oem battery lasted 5months exactly...