B-Pillar Rattle - Any Ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 09:35 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
B-Pillar Rattle - Any Ideas?

07 TL Type S - 3,700 miles - New Jersey

I have an annoying rattle coming from the drivers side B-pillar/seat belt area. It is a constant clicking/tapping sound (metal on metal). It only occurs in warm weather. It also seems to be more prevalent when applying the brakes or when I'm not accelerating.

I thought the sound was coming from the seat belt tensioner/height adjuster, however, while I was driving today I opened my door slightly and the sound disappeared. Closed the door the sound came back ... opened it, the sound disappeared ... etc. The sound is audible in the B-pillar area.

I thought it might be coming from the metal U-shaped loop where the door closes into. I tried spraying the area with silicon spray and putting some vaseline on it, but it didn't work. I also tried putting some duck tape around the U-shaped loop and that also didn't work.

Last time I took it to the dealer they could not duplicate the sound (it was cold out).

Any ideas on what it might be?

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-24-2007, 05:55 AM
Cruisin'

What you hearing is the same problem I am having. It sounds like a computer hard drive reading or writing data. Believe it or not, it's not your door even though when you open it a little (while driving I'm assuming). It has something to do with the seat belt cover which is the whole plastic cover that slides up and down. I suspect its the spring that has little to no tension on it behind the cover. Opening you door probably minimized the "vibration" weight which triggers that spring under that seat belt cover to rattle.

I took my car to the dealer a few days ago, the tech said it was spring behind the cover which was the result of an improper fit of the cover itself and that new covers are being ordered for both sides of the B-pillars. I'll keep you posted on the outcome. I thought he also said something about there being a service bulletin on that which just recently came out within the last month.

P.S. Mine rattles all times of the day but only intermittently not all the time. It also does it under all kinds of temperatures - hot or cold.
Old 05-25-2007, 04:16 PM
Racer

My TSX had the same problem...dealer replaced some seat belt hardware and then worked on the sliding bracket...3 trips still rattled...

4th trip a tech found the rattle to be the plastic (?) cup behind the inside door handle on rear door...put felt/tape behind all four and no more rattles....would have bet the world that it was the B-piller and dealer did too tell the 4th trip...good luck..
Old 05-26-2007, 01:27 PM
1st Gear

Looks like Acura may be catching on to some of these rattles....you may want to try this link: http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SB/B07-006.PDF