Anyone Have Issues with Interior Lights?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2006, 03:40 PM
GregS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Anyone Have Issues with Interior Lights?

To All,

Recently, some very strange things have been happening with the lights on the steering wheel, and Shift Selector (5-SP Auto).

It started with a burned out light for the Cruise Control Button (Main Switch on Steering Wheel). This past week, during my 60,000 mile check, I had the bulb replaced. Then the following occurred:

- All of the lights (except for the Cruise Control - the one they replaced) have now gone out. These were all working before taking it in for service.

- Additionally, the lights that illuminate the Shift Selector have now gone out as well.

I don't know what the dealer did, but it seems to me that they shorted out the wiring harness or one of the circuits while poking around inside the Steering Wheel.

Anyone have any ideas or have a similar experience? I am going back to Acura of Pleasanton this coming Friday, but now I am not sure what to expect after they try fixing this again!

Regards,
Old 08-28-2006, 03:57 PM
3rd Gear

My 04 TL is starting to get this problem after it passed 60k. The first light that went out was the driver heated seat light. Now my hazard light in the center of the dash is out. I hope this is not something they had designed into the car.
I did purchased extended warranty and I wonder if these things are covered?
This car was purchased in Nov 03 and it was one of the first TL around. It had all the issue that others had reported. The last time I had to bring it it was for passenger door handle falling off.
Old 08-31-2006, 05:42 PM
18,000mi. 29000km

This is gay. they should have used LED everywhere.
Old 11-07-2007, 05:17 AM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow... this is funny.....

THE SAME THING HAS HAPPENED TO ME... and i'm trying to figure out what to do...

I have an 04 TL

1. My Cruise Control Button (Main Switch on Steering Wheel) light is out
2. My heated seats illuminator light is also out
3. My lights that illuminate my Gear shift selector are also out...

Was it hard to fix them? Please tell me how you took care of it..

Thank you
Old 11-07-2007, 08:22 AM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
First... lights have no sexual preference.

Second... they are bulbs; just like a light bulb if you drop it the wire could break.. I had 3 out of 4 lights on my gauge bezel working (you know, brightness, select/reset etc.). I took it out to replace one, and when I put it back in 2 others were out.

Just take it back and have them fix it
Old 11-08-2007, 07:14 AM
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
The fixes are easy, but do take a little time. For any of the steering wheel mounted switches you need to remove the airbag to get at the switch assemblies. This is easy, just do a search for airbag removal first (disconnect the battery and wait 5 minutes, then proceed). The seat heat requires removal of the center arm rest assembly. Again, not difficult. I think I did all steering wheel switches, seat heat switches in an hour and change. I found the bulbs online from an electronics store for $0.60 instead of $3 at the dealer. I have spares if they go out again. My car is under warranty, but it's an hour and a half drive away, so I would rather spend a few bucks on bulbs and do it myself.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:49 AM
Advanced

My temp buttons on the passenger side went out and i think it is the info button =/
Old 11-08-2007, 02:34 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by blueracer17
The fixes are easy, but do take a little time. For any of the steering wheel mounted switches you need to remove the airbag to get at the switch assemblies. This is easy, just do a search for airbag removal first (disconnect the battery and wait 5 minutes, then proceed). The seat heat requires removal of the center arm rest assembly. Again, not difficult. I think I did all steering wheel switches, seat heat switches in an hour and change. I found the bulbs online from an electronics store for $0.60 instead of $3 at the dealer. I have spares if they go out again. My car is under warranty, but it's an hour and a half drive away, so I would rather spend a few bucks on bulbs and do it myself.

Thanks man... Appreciate the feedback

DO you have any of the assembly diagrams? And how do you remove the airbags?

Thanks
Old 11-09-2007, 04:16 PM
Pro

I got all my info off of this forum. If you do a search you should be able to find it. Try airbag removal or something like that. Somebod actually copied the acura service manual onto the thread. This is a great forum, way better than the Audi forum I came from (had an A4). I can look up the source and part number for the bulbs I used tomorrow when I go to to work.
eric
Old 11-09-2007, 04:48 PM
10th Gear

I got all my info off of this forum. If you do a search you should be able to find it. Try airbag removal or something like that. Somebod actually copied the acura service manual onto the thread. This is a great forum, way better than the Audi forum I came from (had an A4). I can look up the source and part number for the bulbs I used tomorrow when I go to to work.
eric

Please do ... thanks!
Old 11-10-2007, 06:18 AM
Pro

re

My heated seat on the driver side went out on me last week and ive called the dealer and they told me its not covered even with extended warranty...so pls post the bulb's model number so i can pick it up at a electronic shop and i was wondering if there's a post on this forum showing how to remove that specific part on the console to get to the bulb in question...

Thank you all
Old 11-10-2007, 07:29 AM
Pro

If you do a search there are several threads on how to remove the center armrest and cupholder. This will give you access to the seat heat switches. Basically: remove the aluminum trim (pry off with a butter knife cover with a towel or I used duct tape over the knife). Start at the back and pop it off. Then remove the two screws at the bottom of the storage area under the center arm rest. Then the gold colored screws holding the cup holder and the two screws holding the center arm rest assembly to the shifter area. Slide the console back, remove the cup holder (there is a wire attacted to the cup holder, unplug/unclip it). Once you have the cup holder out just unplug/unscrew the seat heat switch and remove the silver tape, the light holders are under there. They come out with a quarter turn. That should do it for you. This is all off the top of my head, with a slight hang over so I appologize if I forgot anything, but I am almost positive thats it. I just had all this out last weekend to fix a rattle so it's fresh in my head. Good luck. And yes, I will get the bulb info. for you all.
eric
Old 11-12-2007, 09:07 AM
Pro

OK guys, here is the info on replacement lights that I used in my car for the steering wheel lights, seat heat, and dash buttons. www.newark.com.

10 lamps for $7.96
P/N 2182
Incandescent Lamp
Supply Voltage:14V
Lamp Base Type:Wire Leads
Bulb Size:T-1 3/4
Length:0.52"
Luminous Intensity (MSCP):0.3
Current Rating:0.08A
Average Rated Bulb Life:40000h
Bulb Length (MOL):0.52"
Old 11-12-2007, 04:35 PM
10th Gear

If you do a search there are several threads on how to remove the center armrest and cupholder. This will give you access to the seat heat switches. Basically: remove the aluminum trim (pry off with a butter knife cover with a towel or I used duct tape over the knife). Start at the back and pop it off. Then remove the two screws at the bottom of the storage area under the center arm rest. Then the gold colored screws holding the cup holder and the two screws holding the center arm rest assembly to the shifter area. Slide the console back, remove the cup holder (there is a wire attacted to the cup holder, unplug/unclip it). Once you have the cup holder out just unplug/unscrew the seat heat switch and remove the silver tape, the light holders are under there. They come out with a quarter turn. That should do it for you. This is all off the top of my head, with a slight hang over so I appologize if I forgot anything, but I am almost positive thats it. I just had all this out last weekend to fix a rattle so it's fresh in my head. Good luck. And yes, I will get the bulb info. for you all.
eric

Blueracer17... thanks for the info.... I also did that a few days ago... and it worked great...

Guys make sure you dont jack up the trim while you're removing the console and the trim... it will be a shame to jack that up... which costs I'm sure way over $$60-70 trying to change a few $2.00 light so be very careful....

Now I'm trying to change my steering wheel lights and just realized that i have to remove the airbag holder to get to t...

*** What is wrong with Acura making it so complicated.... it is almost like they designed it for money making purposes..... ONLY for them Acura techs to open up...

To get to the heated seat and the Gear shift lights I had to open up the whole damn center console... (no other way to do it......)

DO NOT ATTEMPT IF YOU'RE NOT REALLY TECHNICAL OR DONT LIKE TO SEE THE GUT OF THINGS...

ALL THE BEST...........!

BEFORE AND AFTER PICTURES BELOW

Old 11-15-2007, 04:57 AM
10th Gear

Ok, My Acura Loving' peers out there...... this is how I changed my interior steering wheel lights (Bulbs...) in my 2004 ACURA TL

- You HAVE to remove the AIRBAG to change any of the bulbs on the steering wheel.... (pictures below)

Here are the steps....

1. You first have to remove the negative from the battery (unhook the battery)

2. You then have to remove the airbag plug from under the steering wheel. There is a compartment on the bottom of the steering you need to open and remove (separate) the yellow plugs in it

3. Unscrew the two screws (THE BIG HOLES) on both sides of the airbag (THIS IS THE TOUGHEST PART OF THE WHOLE EXERCISE)

4. Once you're done... the airbag should come loose and then depending on which bulbs are out...(the Cruise Control lights on the right OR the Radio volume and channel station control light) you can unscrew the silver unit from the back of the wheel and once that Unit comes loose it will pull out .... you flip it over and change whichever bulb is out....!

Then do everything you did in reverse and iput it back together.....

PICTURES BELOW.....

HOPE THIS HELPS MY FELLOW ACURA LOVIN' PEERS OUT THERE....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DONT HESITATE TO FLASH OR HONK WHEN YOU SEE ME OUT THERE.....!!!!!!

BE CAREFUL NOT TO FORCE ANYTHING COZ IT WILL BREAK.... IF YOU UNSCREW IT IT SHOULD COME OUT EASILY....

AGAIN... DO NOT FORCE ANYTHING....!

ALL THE BEST!!!!!!!!!!!

HOPE THIS HELPS MY FELLOW ACURA LOVIN' PEERS OUT THERE....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DONT HESITATE TO FLASH OR HONK WHEN YOU SEE ME OUT THERE.....!!!!!!
Old 11-27-2007, 06:18 AM
10th Gear

HERE ARE THE BULBS!!!!!! HOPE IT HELPS OUT

Old 01-02-2008, 04:39 AM
Advanced

Where's yours handsfree buttons on the steering wheel ??????????
Old 03-24-2012, 10:48 PM
1st Gear

Can you tell me how you got the center piece out? I removed the trim, and the cup holders. I am trying to remove the section with the lighter / storage. Please tell me how you removed that piece?
Old 03-27-2012, 05:37 PM
Intermediate

Haha, this is funny. I purchased my 04 TL in the daylight on 02-10-12 and that night I noticed all these lights out:

1. Drivers side temp buttons
2. All lights in the shift selector
3. All cruise control lights as well as the "mode" button on the other side.
4. Passenger side heated seat switch

The local Honda dealership fixed them and sent the bill to the Acura dealership I purchased the car from, which is an hour drive away.