Air in Brake System of New Car?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 04:56 PM
Cruisin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Air in Brake System of New Car?

I bought a new 2006 TL about a month ago and only have 1K of mileage on it. Yesterday when I went out to lunch, the brakes were not working well: they would go all the way to the floor and the car was slow to stop.

Today when I took it in for service, I was told that there was "a lot of air in the brake system" and they bled the brakes. This seemed odd to me since the only way air should be able to get in the brake system is if there is a leak, and if there is a leak the problem will return.

On the way home from the dealer, in rush-hour traffic I had a good chance to test the brakes. They weren't as bad as yesterday but they still don't seem normal. When I'm at a stop, the pedal slowly sinks to the floor; granted, it might take 20-30 seconds to sink to the floor, but that doesn't seem normal. In the loaner car today, when I'd hold the breaks at a stop light, they stayed firm.

Would anyone be able to provide me feedback if 1) it's possible for air to get in the brake system without there being a leak (ie. the problem will reoccur) and 2) if it's "normal" for the break pedal to sink to the floor when the car is stopped?

Thanks for any feedback!

Mark
Old 06-09-2006, 06:41 PM
Gratis dictum

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What you have described is definitely not normal. I would get the car to a dealer ASAP to get that issue corrected.
Old 06-09-2006, 07:01 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
sounds like you have a defective master cylinder. Have the dealer replace it ASAP.
Old 06-10-2006, 01:30 PM
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ghlight=brakes
Old 06-14-2006, 08:53 AM
Cruisin'

SilverUA5,

Thanks for the link on the brakes. You mentioned in the other thread that after you had your master cylinder replaced, the problem returned after two days. Did you ever get it fixed after that? If so, what was the problem?

Thanks for the help and feedback!

Mark
Old 06-14-2006, 10:45 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by MarkF786
SilverUA5,

Thanks for the link on the brakes. You mentioned in the other thread that after you had your master cylinder replaced, the problem returned after two days. Did you ever get it fixed after that? If so, what was the problem?

Thanks for the help and feedback!

Mark

Check your inbox Mark.
Old 06-14-2006, 02:39 PM
Cruisin'

Thanks for the reply, SilverUA5.

Today I took my car back in since the brakes were getter worse. The service manager wanted the mechanic to test drive the car, but the once the mechanic turned the key and pressed the brakes, he agreed there was a problem.

Comparing my brakes to the loaner car's brakes, my pedal travels about four inches before the brakes begin to engage, then it takes another couple of inches until I feel the normal resistance of the pedal stopping. On the loaner, the travel is only about an inch with another inch or less until I feel the normal resistance. It's like night and day, with my car requiring a lot of pressure to stop while the loaner requires little more than the weight of my foot.

I'll let you know what they try next to fix the problem. Also, I'll take Silver's advice and measure the pedal travel to compare against if I start to feel the problem again.

Luckily I live in NJ where the Lemon Law specifies that after three unsuccessful attempts to repair the same problem, the consumer is entitled to a new car or refund. I'm a patient person, but with a new car I'd expect reliable breaks, especially after one repair attempt.

Mark
Old 07-06-2006, 08:03 PM
Mike's Silver Bullet

I live in Tucson, I've had a 6mt for a week plus 2 days now. When I picked it up, the brake pedal travel was about an inch or less. I was used to my Ford Expedition, and almost broke my nose on the steering wheel in comparison (not really, but the 6mt brakes were STRONG)
I drove it to San Diego for the long 4th of July weekend; on the way back, the pedal travel got low and mushy, it's about 3 inches of travel to get the thing to start stopping now. After the 600 mi break in I stretched it out a bit on I-8, but only for a minute or so. I haven't yet gotten on the brakes hard. I took it to the dealer this morning, he says he can't find anything wrong (they haven't done anything but drive it), but will look at it again tomorrow. At least I have a loaner. I'll ask about the master cylinder, and the ABS booster that was mentioned in another thread. I'll post the results.
Old 07-07-2006, 06:29 AM
Now with i-Vtec

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by sandynmike
I live in Tucson, I've had a 6mt for a week plus 2 days now. When I picked it up, the brake pedal travel was about an inch or less. I was used to my Ford Expedition, and almost broke my nose on the steering wheel in comparison (not really, but the 6mt brakes were STRONG)
I drove it to San Diego for the long 4th of July weekend; on the way back, the pedal travel got low and mushy, it's about 3 inches of travel to get the thing to start stopping now. After the 600 mi break in I stretched it out a bit on I-8, but only for a minute or so. I haven't yet gotten on the brakes hard. I took it to the dealer this morning, he says he can't find anything wrong (they haven't done anything but drive it), but will look at it again tomorrow. At least I have a loaner. I'll ask about the master cylinder, and the ABS booster that was mentioned in another thread. I'll post the results.

You may also want to change out your stock fluid. I flushed my system with ATE Super Blue and so far my brakes are great. I had air in my lines as well. In my case I believe it was attributed to boiling the stock fluid. Good luck!
Old 07-07-2006, 07:29 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by sandynmike

I think you meant ABS modulator cause that's what they replaced on mine, and along with stock fluids, it's been good so far.
Old 07-07-2006, 04:57 PM
Cruisin'

They put an ABS modulator in mine now too and so far it's been fine for the past two weeks.

The mechanic said he had asked around at the dealer and another mechanic went through the same troubleshooting process (tried bleeding the brakes , tried a new master cylinder, etc.) and called Acura, who recommended changing the ABS modulator. To confirm, the mechanic I was working with also called Acura and they suggested the same fix.

It seems to be a known issue. I would ask the dealer to change the ABS modulator and not waste your time & safety.

Mark
Old 07-11-2006, 10:00 PM
Mike's Silver Bullet

They replaced the ABS modulator.
I got it back tonight.
Seemed OK on the way home.
Old 07-12-2006, 08:02 PM
Mike's Silver Bullet

The brake pedal still felt a little bit soft today.
I thought since they replaced the ABS modulator, there might be something going on with the ABS system.
I found a road that had sand on it and braked hard enough from around 20 mph to get the ABS to engage. It feels better now.
Maybe the ABS pump has to charge up the system somewhere?
Hopefully, now I'm all good.
Old 07-18-2006, 11:23 AM
CJH
9th Gear

The dealer may have to bleed the brakes again. Typically on ABS equipped cars, the valves need to be cycled during the process to expel any air in that section. This is likely done with the car hooked up to the dealer's diagnostic computer.

You accomlished this by cycling the ABS on the sand. Give them a call & hold their feet to the fire.
Old 06-18-2008, 03:31 PM
Racer

Anymore updates guys? Thanks
Old 06-18-2008, 03:58 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
there has been a service directive out on this issue for a while
ABS mod prob-
Go have a chat with the service MANAGER if yor car is doing similar ~sinking to the floor of the brake pedal.
Old 06-18-2008, 04:07 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,130 Likes on 2,566 Posts
Sounds like one of the three (?) ABD/VSA pressure relief valves are leaking. This is one of the potential failure mechanism of the ABS/VSA modulator and the worst. If any of the three valves are leaking then the applied brake pressure causes fluid to leak back to the non-pressure side. Good that you got a new ABS/VSA unit, they're like ~$800!

They put an ABS modulator in mine now too and so far it's been fine for the past two weeks.

The mechanic said he had asked around at the dealer and another mechanic went through the same troubleshooting process (tried bleeding the brakes , tried a new master cylinder, etc.) and called Acura, who recommended changing the ABS modulator. To confirm, the mechanic I was working with also called Acura and they suggested the same fix.

It seems to be a known issue. I would ask the dealer to change the ABS modulator and not waste your time & safety.

Mark
Old 06-18-2008, 04:16 PM
Racer

Does anyone here have the TSB for the brake problem? Searched for past 2hrs, yet not able to find. TIA guys.
Old 06-18-2008, 04:33 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
Go in and speak with the service MANAGER, they will know, or have immediate access to the info- as well as the Head Tech knows these things
Try a search here for ABS Modulator
Look on your acura.com account and see if there is any info
http://owners.acura.com/registration...erstepone.aspx
Call acura and ask if there is anything known about your brake prob. 1-800-382-2238 x5 6am to 5 pm pacific time
They will document your concern- tell you to take it to the dealer- and a real manager will call you if needed once acura gets to look at it.

There may be a ~secret waranty/goodwill~ on the parts --the dealer will know
Old 08-19-2009, 11:54 AM
Under construction

Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts
quick question guys...

my pedal works fine and the car stops but while im pushing the brake pedal at a light it holds steady and then just drops like 1/2 inch. what could cause this?? the car doesn't move and i dont feel like the brakes release but im just curious about this lil drop when im holding the pedal steady.

thanks for all the help in advance
Old 08-19-2009, 12:36 PM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts
Service Bulletin 07-041 - Brake Pedal Is Low and Feels Soft (click here)
Old 08-19-2009, 12:42 PM
Under construction

Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts
Thank you sir!
Old 08-19-2009, 03:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
Luckily I live in NJ where the Lemon Law specifies that after three unsuccessful attempts to repair the same problem, the consumer is entitled to a new car or refund. I'm a patient person, but with a new car I'd expect reliable breaks, especially after one repair attempt.

Mark
Just an FYI-That lemon law pertains to new vehicles only, 1 year or 18,000 miles.