AC issue - DTS code Q help

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 02:06 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
AC issue - DTS code Q help

I've read enough to run the diagnostics on my AC issue and found DTC Q: An open or short in the passenger's mode control motor circuit (see page 21-42). Can anyone help me from there? I haven't run into this page - and the links to service manuals in the 3G garage section J seem to be broken. Symptom: both fans run, no cooling. Usually I hear an intermittent higher rev sound (or change in the fans with the AC running) - it isn't happening now. Is that the compressor kicking in?

Based on what I've seen here, I've checked and changed fuse 9 (under hood), and fuse 30 (under dash), though both looked ok. Is my next step to swap out related relays? Please be as specific as you can - and THANKS! 61 yo females are easy targets for being ripped off at service stations!! I'm trying to do the simple things before taking it somewhere for service. (FYI - With Acurazine's help I've done some of the brute force stuff like removing the bumper to replace a HID controller, replacing cabin filters by removing the glove box, flushed power steering fluid and changed PS O-rings... but electrical issues are new for me!) Appreciate your advice in advance.
Old 04-18-2017, 02:17 PM
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
I'm not familiar with the fuses/relays on the TL, but I had a similar issue with my old car.

Fans would blow, but AC would not blow cold. It turned out to be the AC compressor relay. I would assume the TL's have a similar relay, so I would check that.

If you replace the relay and still have an issue, it could be that the compressor has gone bad, but hopefully that's not the case.
The following users liked this post:
Tucky512 (04-18-2017)
Old 04-18-2017, 04:30 PM
Safety Car

Received 988 Likes on 746 Posts
AC compressor may be on the way out. I had intermittent power surges til the compressor died and was fine after since it was never trying to pull power. Replaced the compressor and all was fine.
Tucky512 (04-18-2017)
Old 04-18-2017, 07:39 PM
Intermediate

I swapped out the compressor relay tonight, but it had no impact. I'll try adding refrigerant/Freon R134... I hit 170K a few weeks ago (original owner) and knew that mid-late 2017 would be the year for a new car... so if it doesn't improve ASAP, the new car will happen a few months early! I can't stand a summer without A/C!
Old 04-18-2017, 08:55 PM
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Is your compressor even kicking in? Check the pressure switch. There's systematic approach in the manual to rule of the possiblities, it also could be the AC field coil. When the same situation happened to me, determined it was the coil replaced it & now it works fine; check the relays & switch w/ a mulitmeter.
Old 04-19-2017, 08:09 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Duronn
Is your compressor even kicking in? Check the pressure switch. There's systematic approach in the manual to rule of the possiblities, it also could be the AC field coil. When the same situation happened to me, determined it was the coil replaced it & now it works fine; check the relays & switch w/ a mulitmeter.
I don't think the compressor is kicking in... Not sure where/what the pressure switch is. Which manual are you referring to? I've tried to find the Service manuals here to no avail - links from the garage seem to be broken. Thanks
Old 04-19-2017, 08:29 AM
Safety Car

Received 988 Likes on 746 Posts
I have a compressor from my old car. It was replaced and used for 5 months before the trans went and I parted the whole car. Let me know.
Old 04-19-2017, 08:08 PM
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
try this link: Manuals - Downloads - Hondahookup.com

There could be multiple reasons why you're compressor is not kicking in; could be the relays, the freon pressure switch, or the field coil. If you have test these components to rule them out. In the service manual, theres a "how to" on how you can test theses components w/ a multimeter to see if they're operational.
Tucky512 (04-22-2017)