3G mirror repair with pictures!! 3G Garage #E-045

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2021, 05:42 PM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Awesome. But will it make my seat memory work again?
Old 03-09-2021, 05:43 PM
9th Gear

Awesome. But will it make my seat memory work again?
Old 04-13-2021, 12:59 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
ok but...

Originally Posted by Jackass
I got it all greased up and back together and both sides are functional....for now. Hoping this gets me by through the winter and I will look at replacing the entire assembly next spring.....maybe.
I successfully did this too... freaked about breaking the glass but... if you do the screwdriver pop, then a dual plastic panel pry... AND YOU MAKE SURE YOU MOVE THE MIRROR ALL THE WAY IN towards the car and angled all the way up first, its easy. The most satisfying AND QUICK fix Ive ever done on a car outside of a wiper blade replace...

Heres the thing... I DONT know how the passenger side mirror normally is supposed to work, its been doing the clunk since I bought it yrs ago.
Drivers side: no matter what position I put it in or have it in via Memory seating, it just tilts straight down when shift to reverse.
passenger side: no matter what position I put it in or have it in via Memory seating, it first tilts inwards to show half the car body in view, then tilts straight down when shift to reverse.

So it doesnt tilt just straight down like the other mirror.
They both are butter smooth and beautiful THANX for this fix upload, hope its given a sticky status or added to the How To section (if it isnt already)

Is that the way the passenger mirror really works normally? Anyone?
Old 03-09-2023, 08:51 AM
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Can I use 3m silicone grease?
Old 03-09-2023, 10:55 AM
CDM

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by VictorTL
Can I use 3m silicone grease?
Should be fine.
Old 09-19-2023, 09:28 AM
1st Gear

2015 acura tlx right side mirror

Originally Posted by GhostTL09
OP you're the man! Did both my mirrors and now I don't have to be embarrassed about my mirrors clicking and popping out of my Driver setting mode. They glide smooth up down and all around!
I need the part in the picture with the clips for my right side mirror
Old 09-20-2023, 06:37 AM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by crazyjr79
Ok guys so I looked around for a thread on anyone who repaired their mirrors to work smoothly like when the car was new. As it turns out there is alot of advice but no one posted up pictures so i thought I would document my repair. About a year ago my passenger mirror started studdering off and on. Then all the time. 2 months later my driver side followed. I heard about re-lubing by simply moving the mirror to its furthest corners and adding more grease from the sides, but in a short period of time that quick fix will come back again and again. So I decided to remove all the old grease and add new grease.

First, make sure you do not use a screw driver. It can not only scratch your paint but it can also cause a pivot point on the mirror and cause it to break. I used a panel remover.
Attachment 88185

There are self locking clips at 10, 2, 4, and 8 o'clock. Pick one corner, and once it pops off simply slide the mirror in the opposite direction and it will come off easily.
Attachment 88186
Notice the clips? There are eight (8)...four corners in pairs. Once you get one off, the rest slide out.

After it is out remove the two wires from the mirror housing. This is not entirely necessary, but I don't like to feel restricted with elbow space. If you do decide to take them out i suggest you mark them so that you put them back on the same way. I personally don't know the scematics and whether or not it is necessary, but i don't take any chances.
Attachment 88187

Attachment 88188
Remove this center #20 screw and the center cap, screw, and spring will come off. Put aside the screw and spring and clean this bad boy up. All that yellow gunk it what is making your mirror click.
Attachment 88189

Attachment 88190

It should look like this...
Attachment 88191

I used basic white lithium grease from auto zone for $3 and the final result should look something like this
Attachment 88192
Attachment 88193
Attachment 88194

After you put it all back together screw back in the spring with the screw...make sure you don't over tighten the screw. once the screw reaches the end STOP tightening. This slack alows the mirror to move around, overtighening will only cause your mirror to freeze up. After the screw is in, plug up your wires and simply snap the mirror back in place. Be very careful when doing so because mirrors don't bend! make sure you dont create an access point, use your entire hand as you push the mirror back into place. DO NOT USE YOUR FINGERS as they will cause the mirror to crack. This is a $50-60 replacement, so I would take that seriously. I did the reverse of removing it. slide in one half of the clips until they grab, then the third one, then finally push back on the fourth tabs until they click. After this you will enjoy smooth quiet reversing again...oh yeah.
Thanks for reading, thanks are appreciated.
I hate this function to begin with. My wife's car but drives me crazy. I've never looked at the ground backing up. I prefer to see most of the car and some of the tire. The clicking only makes it worse. However thanks
Old 10-05-2023, 11:27 AM
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Ha! Thanks for popping up this thread. It just reminded me listening the cracking sound from my mirrors for 5 year is enough 😃 Done it finally. Used the grease I found in my basement - the standard green/blue one I bought to grease my bike hubs 😃
Tried the white grease but it didn't work.

Last edited by thoiboi; 10-06-2023 at 10:07 AM.