2008 Type S vibration issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2015, 11:33 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 Type S vibration issue

I had a 2004 Acura TL and it was running fine and then I gave it for service and got it back vibrating at 40 then 60 and then 80. I took it back and the guy said it was because of the rim and that I might have run into a pothole. I was like ok possible and got a rim replaced , the vibration still there, then it was time to change tires. Changed tires and the guy said flat spot. Had the guys at Sears replace the tire and guess what the vibration still there. Out of my wit found a really nice 2008 type s , traded in the 2004 and got the 2008 type s , guess what they had both cars for a while and the vibration back on the new car like a disease . And they just refuse to diagonize the problem and keep blaming it on the tires and rims. The new car has almost new wheels and new tires , vibration still there. It's either a TL issue or the guys who worked on my 2004 car fucked something up and that's now on the 2008. Both different dealers. No other answer. Iv gone back to the dealers so many times and they just refuse to acknowledge the problem or diagonize it. Is there a way I can reach out to acura directly? Or any alternate auto shop? Can't trust the dealers anymore.
Old 12-10-2015, 03:01 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,694 Likes on 1,308 Posts
Is the vibration appear all the time or only when you give it gas?
Old 12-10-2015, 05:49 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
To eliminate tire/wheel problems, find one of these:
Hunter GSP9700 Wheel vibration Control System solves wheel vibration and tire pull problems that balancers and aligners can't fix
Old 12-10-2015, 09:25 AM
6th Gear

The vibration is all the time, not only when applying gas..
Old 12-10-2015, 09:27 AM
6th Gear

@turbonut: tried the machine and they confirmed nothing wrong with the tires and wheels. Was available at Firestone...
Old 12-11-2015, 12:41 PM
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 55 Posts
I had a similar problem with shops not actually doing anything to fix my problems and blaming it on things I KNEW were not it. Eventually after four alignments, twice on the hunter road force it is a lot better. Not 100%, but I only get vibration above 85mph now and I am convinced it is in the tires.

Sorry I cant help you but I know what it feels like. The shop told me they road forced the tires but I was still getting heavy vibration. After they finally did the fronta again after having looked at everything again it got much better. All of my issues started after letting a lower quality shop do an alignment on the car. Never again will I use a shop thatd doesnt have the road force machine.
Old 12-11-2015, 01:32 PM
6th Gear

@GreenSpades - thanks, so it could also be just an issue of a tech spending quality time to align and balance right and it probably isn't some other issue not related to the tire/wheels/allignment & balancing. I had it aligned and balanced on a road force machine once, probably give it another go. I sound a little cynical but after all the trouble iv gone through and money iv spent on correcting the vibration ...!! What bothers me is that the new car feels just like my old one and the problem on the old came up after i gave it for service to an Acura dealer and then when i got the new one traded in the old one, the dealer had both cars for over 3 hours and then i notice the new car has the same behavior. My mistake was not to have test driven the new one on the highway as well as let them have the keys to the old car before hand. I am almost certain Acura knows whats wrong and refuses to acknowledge or fix it. I'll give it another go with the Road Force machine over the weekend.
Old 12-11-2015, 01:34 PM
6th Gear

Also read another article, very similar but related to a TLX and eventually after a tech spent enough time on the car, replacing the CV joint driver side had resolved the issue. Have any of you experienced highway speed vibration because of a bad CV joint..?
Old 12-14-2015, 05:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
Originally Posted by Sandeepdharuman
@GreenSpades - thanks, so it could also be just an issue of a tech spending quality time to align and balance right and it probably isn't some other issue not related to the tire/wheels/allignment & balancing. I had it aligned and balanced on a road force machine once, probably give it another go. I sound a little cynical but after all the trouble iv gone through and money iv spent on correcting the vibration ...!! What bothers me is that the new car feels just like my old one and the problem on the old came up after i gave it for service to an Acura dealer and then when i got the new one traded in the old one, the dealer had both cars for over 3 hours and then i notice the new car has the same behavior. My mistake was not to have test driven the new one on the highway as well as let them have the keys to the old car before hand. I am almost certain Acura knows whats wrong and refuses to acknowledge or fix it. I'll give it another go with the Road Force machine over the weekend.
Check the lower control arm bushings in the front. If they are damaged they'll allow steering slop and vibrations. Very common for them to get worn and crack/fall apart. There's a 10+ page thread in the problems and fixes section.
Old 01-26-2016, 09:33 PM
6th Gear

@csmeance , intend to have the dealer check that when I go next week. went back to pep boys from where I got the tire , they basically said all is good and nothing wrong with the tires. The symptom is that the vibration becomes less prominant when the tire is warmed up . Can something not the tire be the root cause given it gets better when the tires are warmer and the PSI more than recommended ? Took it to the dealer for an opinion and one of the service reps mentioned he'd seen a rare case that the problem was actually the transmission . Could that be ?
Old 01-28-2016, 01:10 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
Originally Posted by Sandeepdharuman
@csmeance , intend to have the dealer check that when I go next week. went back to pep boys from where I got the tire , they basically said all is good and nothing wrong with the tires. The symptom is that the vibration becomes less prominant when the tire is warmed up . Can something not the tire be the root cause given it gets better when the tires are warmer and the PSI more than recommended ? Took it to the dealer for an opinion and one of the service reps mentioned he'd seen a rare case that the problem was actually the transmission . Could that be ?
sounds like you have flatspotting. Flatspotting happens overnight when the tire is cold. It goes away after a few miles of driving. A bad cord in the tire could cause the vibration issue and warming up the tire masks it a bit.