2008 TL making serious squeeking noise after starting

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2018, 09:16 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question 2008 TL making serious squeeking noise after starting

I have a 2008 TL, front whee drive that have about 155,000 miles on it. Problem i have is that when i start the car or just after the Belt is making serious squeeking or wheesling noise for about 10-15 mintues then it goes away. I don't think it is the timing belt. but i think it is the other belt. I had this problem about 20,000 miles ago and took it to the dealership then. They said they will put in a New belt and belt gear, and charged me $350 for it. Back then noise did get better but now it is back with a vengence. What is causing this and why does it get better after i drive it for 10-15 minutes or so ?? Is this serious ?

Just one other question, might sound silly. But i have this rattling noise around the steering wheel somewhere around where steering wheel adjustment notch is at. There are plenty of plastic parts there so i am not sure which part is rattling. Do you guys think it is just age ? and plastic parts there are just loose ?
Old 07-03-2018, 10:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 136 Likes on 109 Posts
IMO: Not certain what you mean, "serious squeeking or wheesling" noise, but if you mean, (SQUEELING) type noise, it's most likely the serpentine belt. This is the belt, which drives the engine's accessories, P/S pump, A/C compressor, alternator, etc. After driving, for a while, it probably heats-up, and stops making the noise. I would return to the Dealer, who charged you $350.00, for a new belt, and TENSIONER, and ask them to diagnose it. A loose belt, will cause that type of noise. Regarding the " rattling noise " , are you sure you don't mean, squeaking type noise. Most plastic parts, don't rattle, they squeak, unless, some part, has fallen off, or worked it's way loose, which could cause a rattle. Try to get your head, near the source of the noise, and bang on that area with your hand. If you can duplicate the noise, you should be able to find it's source.
The following users liked this post:
Nostradamus (07-03-2018)
Old 07-03-2018, 10:16 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by frankjnjr
IMO: Not certain what you mean, "serious squeeking or wheesling" noise, but if you mean, (SQUEELING) type noise, it's most likely the serpentine belt. This is the belt, which drives the engine's accessories, P/S pump, A/C compressor, alternator, etc. After driving, for a while, it probably heats-up, and stops making the noise. I would return to the Dealer, who charged you $350.00, for a new belt, and TENSIONER, and ask them to diagnose it. A loose belt, will cause that type of noise. Regarding the " rattling noise " , are you sure you don't mean, squeaking type noise. Most plastic parts, don't rattle, they squeak, unless, some part, has fallen off, or worked it's way loose, which could cause a rattle. Try to get your head, near the source of the noise, and bang on that area with your hand. If you can duplicate the noise, you should be able to find it's source.
i think you are 100 % correct. Why does it stop making the noise after it heats up ?? anyway, do you think that dealership will just give me a new belt and tensioner ? Not sure how long they would garantee or warantee those items ? i am pretty sure they replaced them back about 20,000 miles ago.
Old 07-03-2018, 10:48 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 136 Likes on 109 Posts
I doubt they will give you an new belt, and tensioner. If you check Their website, they may list Their parts and labor warranty, terms and conditions. My point, in suggesting you return to the Dealer, is simply, that this type of repair, should last longer, than 20K miles! If you look at your receipt, the parts, and labor warranty, may also be listed.
The following users liked this post:
Nostradamus (07-04-2018)
Old 07-12-2018, 09:35 PM
Instructor

Unhappy

I doubt they will give you an new belt, and tensioner. If you check Their website, they may list Their parts and labor warranty, terms and conditions. My point, in suggesting you return to the Dealer, is simply, that this type of repair, should last longer, than 20K miles! If you look at your receipt, the parts, and labor warranty, may also be listed.
You were Right. WOW.. i took it the dealership and they tried to Trick me and lie to me.. They said i only replaced the Tensioner last time and not the serpentine belt. So they said i need to Buy the New serpentine belt for $90 and they will put it in. and i told them,, " but reason i didn't replace the belt last time was cause it was replace while i was doing the Timing belt which was about 30,000 miles ago". do i still need a New serpetine belt ?? they said they have to go and check the records...

Should i do as they say and replace the serpentine belt even though it was just replaced 30,000 miles ago ?? i am just afraid i spend the money and noise will still be there ...........
Old 07-26-2018, 10:15 PM
Instructor

Yes i took it to the dealership for that Rattling noise around the Steering wheel. for the life of me, i thought it was coming from interior around the wheel. but mechanic at dealership said it was coming from the bottom of the car outside, not inside. there was something loose on the bottom of the car, he took it off, and that particular noise seem to be gone....LOL. It was so weird, don't know how noise outside on the bottom sound like interior noise around the steering wheel ????? but that sound for loose heat sheild is still there. i have to do something about the heat shield.