2008 TL Dash Lights Randomly Turns on and off

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 06:07 PM
Road Racer / Solo Addict

Received 300 Likes on 142 Posts
2008 TL Dash Lights Randomly Turns on and off

Car used to do what seemed to be a reset were everything would turn off and turn back on.. no further issues..

Last week it did this on me.. seems to be completely an electrical issues, no type of mechanical hesitation nor issue, just the lights turning on and off and the air conditioner stop blowing cold air, like if the compressor was turned off. No exterior lights seem to be affected either. No engine hesitation..

Anyone seen this behavior? I will be scheduling to take the car in to the dealer next week. Any feedback will be appreciated..

http://
Old 05-30-2012, 10:55 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
Anyone?
Old 06-01-2012, 01:20 PM
Road Racer / Solo Addict

Originally Posted by LoveMyTL-S
Anyone?
Apparently its an Isolated issue.. i've been tied up at work and haven't set up an appointment at the dealer yet..
Old 06-01-2012, 02:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 166 Likes on 125 Posts
Wow that's an odd issue.. subscribing for results.
Old 06-03-2012, 01:52 PM
Jokerman

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
could be a loose connection behind the cluster, i am going to guess though, that you have never removed the cluster.
Old 06-03-2012, 03:05 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Wow that's crazy. Hopefully dealer can take care of this under warranty if not I bet the cost will be huge like few grand. If you end up having to pay for it just take that car somewhere and set it on fire!! J/K I am venting cause I have a big expense coming up in the future....
Old 06-21-2012, 04:42 PM
Road Racer / Solo Addict

Originally Posted by jokerman826
could be a loose connection behind the cluster, i am going to guess though, that you have never removed the cluster.
Never pulled the cluster, wouldn't want to try either lol

Originally Posted by mb1976
Wow that's crazy. Hopefully dealer can take care of this under warranty if not I bet the cost will be huge like few grand. If you end up having to pay for it just take that car somewhere and set it on fire!! J/K I am venting cause I have a big expense coming up in the future....
Update coming soon, and I know what you mean..
Old 06-21-2012, 04:57 PM
Road Racer / Solo Addict

Took the car in on a scheduled appointment on Tuesday, got there 10am just as requested.

I have a bit over 60K miles on the car so I clearly stated the car had an extended warranty with Assurant Federal Warranties; have had the car since 0 miles, only owner.

Requested the dash issue to be checked, the Service Advisor completely dismissed the video recording of the dash behavior right off the bat saying they would scan for codes yada yada.

I requested the engine mounts to be inspected and also the car key which does not stay in the open position since there is a TSB on that.

I was told they would hold the car from 24-48 hours while they diagnosed the car and reported to the extended warranty company to see if they authorized the fix.

Got a call yesterday saying the scanned it, deleted codes (U0155 F-CAN MALFUNCTION ECU/PCM GAUGE CONTROL MODULE) and test drove and nothing happened (I clearly stated the behavior appeared after 15-20 minutes of driving, they drove 5 miles). He said they couldn't do more since they scanned and corrected errors.

On the mounts they stated that the extended warranty denied changing them because the car has lowering springs. I call the extended warranty issuer so they could explain why the suspension affected the engine mounts.

They said they did not deny servicing the car; they stated that since the car has less than 70K miles on it that the engine mounts are still under power train warranty and should be covered by Acura directly.

So I tell this to the service advisor and he then changes the story and says it’s because the car is lowered, so I requested a meeting with the service manager and I would be getting a call, none yet received.

I went to pick up the car today since they said it was ready at least from the cluster issue.

Driving back home it starts again.

I called the service advisor and basically blew up on him for 20 minutes for making me waste my time. Service center is around 2 hours away, lost a day and a half and they never really looked into the issue. Since the car is out of warranty I had to rent a car which would be reimbursed by Assurant but since no actual electrical module was replaced just a scan and clear of codes they had no expenses thus the car seems to have no service done so I will need to pay the car, at least Acura gave me a good rate on the car but still I'm pissed.

I specified they need to drive the car, for an extended period in order to see the actual behavior since he dismissed the video I recorded.

He said he apologized and would be talking to his manager in order to get me a loaner from the dealer so they can keep the car a couple of days and have a technician use it to troubleshoot it.

I never had any issues with the car, have always serviced it, and the Service Center had always worked politely making me buy a 2012 MDX recently for the wife.

But now since it’s out of Acura warranty they seem to want to bully me around.

I will give them a call tomorrow again to follow up.

Anyone had issues with the engine mounts and similar denial because the car has a drop?

Also the key fob issue they said its not covered since it is out of warranty.

Last edited by EL BAN; 06-21-2012 at 04:59 PM. Reason: Missing info
Old 06-21-2012, 05:10 PM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
just press them.

ask them "how do lowering springs affect the MOTOR mounts?"
ask them for an indepth explanation.

you need to be the expert here.

Also, from your post, I couldnt tell if the eruption of dash lights happened for the entire life of the car or has it been just doing it recently?
if its just been doing it recently, when was the last time you changed your battery?

Last edited by justnspace; 06-21-2012 at 05:12 PM.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:24 PM
Road Racer / Solo Addict

Originally Posted by justnspace
just press them.

ask them "how do lowering springs affect the MOTOR mounts?"
ask them for an indepth explanation.

you need to be the expert here.

Also, from your post, I couldnt tell if the eruption of dash lights happened for the entire life of the car or has it been just doing it recently?
if its just been doing it recently, when was the last time you changed your battery?
Service advisor couldnt and wouldnt state the connection so I requested to talk to tge service manager so I am waiting for that call, I road race an EG2 with full suspension and I know suspension geometry so I will try to level on that issue based on knowledge .

The cluster issue started recently, began as a full reset all gauges turning off the back on and it progressed during a week into the video behavior..

Battery has been changed twice under warranty, last time was around January this year..
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (06-21-2012)
Old 06-21-2012, 05:36 PM

oh, so you really are an expert!

that sucks that they wasted your day.

oh, also there have been reports of water dripping and getting onto the ECU.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:18 PM
Road Racer / Solo Addict

oh, so you really are an expert!

that sucks that they wasted your day.

oh, also there have been reports of water dripping and getting onto the ECU.
Not an expert but I think I can defend myself on the topic..

Got a call half an hour ago, Service Advisor says he talked to his manager and they will be checking which car they can loan me for a couple of days while they check the car..

Currently the car has the dash still blinking.. it started around 4pm and its going to be 9:30pm and still not working, its the longest streak its had, usually it spent 10-15 minutes then worked again..

I feel the car is giving up on me, the driver door window doesn't go up now :/

Reading the forums to see if I find anything related maybe window out of the rail.. I will remove the door panel soon.. anyone had this happen?
Old 06-22-2012, 07:48 AM

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-problems-fixes-114/help-plugged-c-drain-ruined-ecu-720388/
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-problems-fixes-114/bad-news-water-pcm-ecu-warranty-advice-739328/

here are two reports of the a/c drain getting clogged causing water to drip onto the ECU/PCM.
which caused christmas lights on the dash and coils to go bad.
The following users liked this post:
EL BAN (06-23-2012)
Old 06-23-2012, 08:43 AM
Road Racer / Solo Addict

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=720388
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=739328

here are two reports of the a/c drain getting clogged causing water to drip onto the ECU/PCM.
which caused christmas lights on the dash and coils to go bad.
Thanks for the links.. I had pull the door panel off to get the window up.. I read threads on how windows started going up and automatically roll down, but mine doesn't even start going up.. looks like there is a wire which is actuated by the motor which is either out of place or just streched out..

Service advisor coordinated for next saturday have a loaner ready.. he asked me what day during the week but best day is saturday so I don't lose more days from work.. I'll keep all posted on the end fix..
Old 06-26-2012, 11:58 AM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the exact same problem on my 2007 TL.
I actually signed up on here to check out this problem - I'm much more active on the Club RSX forums.

I've read a lot of threads on here about the A/C leaking water onto/into the PCM, which causes the car to throw the U0155 code. However, in those cases the car won't start, or the engine will start acting funny. My car only flashes the dash & the radio on/off.

I have noticed that this problem absolutely goes away in warmer weather (I live in Canada, so those days are hard to come by, lol)

Since the engine doesn't bog down, would this mean that our problem is different from all of theirs?
Old 06-26-2012, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by AznKirby
I actually signed up on here to check out this problem - I'm much more active on the Club RSX forums.

I've read a lot of threads on here about the A/C leaking water onto/into the PCM, which causes the car to throw the U0155 code. However, in those cases the car won't start, or the engine will start acting funny. My car only flashes the dash & the radio on/off.

I have noticed that this problem absolutely goes away in warmer weather (I live in Canada, so those days are hard to come by, lol)

Since the engine doesn't bog down, would this mean that our problem is different from all of theirs?
maybe.

in the other cases, the coil packs went bad which caused the engine to bog.

so, if your engine isnt bogging, the coil packs must have not gone bad yet.

or it could be totally un-related.
Old 06-26-2012, 12:18 PM
5th Gear

Well actually I forgot to mention that my car is throwing that same U0155 code.

Although, that code only specifies that the ECM/PCM is malfunctioning, not that there's water in it ..
Maybe I missed it, but is there a way to fix this that doesn't involve changing the PCM? ($$ )
Old 06-28-2012, 09:50 AM
Road Racer / Solo Addict

This is the major difference and it could mean one of two things I believe..

1. It is totally unrelated
2. It hasn't gotten to that point yet :/

As for the weather, I am down in PR, so its summer all year. Although Humidity is killer here..

maybe.

in the other cases, the coil packs went bad which caused the engine to bog.

so, if your engine isnt bogging, the coil packs must have not gone bad yet.

or it could be totally un-related.
Agree..

Well actually I forgot to mention that my car is throwing that same U0155 code.

Although, that code only specifies that the ECM/PCM is malfunctioning, not that there's water in it ..
Maybe I missed it, but is there a way to fix this that doesn't involve changing the PCM? ($$ )
When the problem first started with did a scan (again we work on our track cars ourselves) but was only to try to understand the problem better so I could be more informed when visiting the service center, they bitched about it saying someone had been either fondling with the car and I told them I just read to see what is was and DID NOT delete in order for you guys to see when bringing it in.

All they did was scan delete and send the car out, thats why I was so pissed.. No troubleshooting etc..

I will be taking in on Saturday and leaving it a couple of days so they can try to replicate the issue..

The car shows the behavior now for a full day and check engine goes on, next day everything working fine and check engine off all by itself..

The actual scanner read that there was a communication loss from the IPC module (instrument panel control module)

Old 06-28-2012, 01:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts
Never take your car to the dealer. I bought myself the service manual, electronics manual and hds system.
Every single time I tried to bring my car into the dealer to get some warranty work done they would find a way to get around it. So I said fuck it, cancelled Acura care and bought my own shit.
Old 06-28-2012, 02:10 PM
Road Racer / Solo Addict

Originally Posted by con5tant
Never take your car to the dealer. I bought myself the service manual, electronics manual and hds system.
Every single time I tried to bring my car into the dealer to get some warranty work done they would find a way to get around it. So I said fuck it, cancelled Acura care and bought my own shit.
I understand your statement, but beg to differ given this is my daily.

I play around and work on the track car anytime. It currently is going thru a full engine build.

But I expect the daily to always get me to work, to have a warranty that handles this type of stuff which is not our fault as owners, shit happens to cars and that's why I paid for an extended warranty in order to take care of this type of bullshit..

Saturday I will drop it off and pick up the loaner and follow up on the thread during the week..

Again don't take this wrong, I understand your point and completely respect it..
Old 06-28-2012, 02:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts
Oh, i know. I completely understand What i really meant was from my standpoint.
I hope it gets fixed.
Old 06-29-2012, 04:11 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by EL BAN
I understand your statement, but beg to differ given this is my daily.

I play around and work on the track car anytime. It currently is going thru a full engine build.

But I expect the daily to always get me to work, to have a warranty that handles this type of stuff which is not our fault as owners, shit happens to cars and that's why I paid for an extended warranty in order to take care of this type of bullshit..

Saturday I will drop it off and pick up the loaner and follow up on the thread during the week..

Again don't take this wrong, I understand your point and completely respect it..
I must say I agree with this (For argument's sake, I do understand both points of view though)

I work on my rsx myself, but as far as the TL goes, it has a warranty for a reason. They should be able to figure out what's wrong and fix it. It is their job after all, lol

Lately the problem (might) have gotten worse .. It lasts longer than it used to. Sometimes for a whole trip the speedometer doesn't even move. My radio still works though, even if it doesn't show up on the screen, which is odd.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:24 PM
Road Racer / Solo Addict

I must say I agree with this (For argument's sake, I do understand both points of view though)

I work on my rsx myself, but as far as the TL goes, it has a warranty for a reason. They should be able to figure out what's wrong and fix it. It is their job after all, lol

Lately the problem (might) have gotten worse .. It lasts longer than it used to. Sometimes for a whole trip the speedometer doesn't even move. My radio still works though, even if it doesn't show up on the screen, which is odd.
Agree.. problem got worse in a week, it now was functional for a full day and completely acting up another full day..

The car was dropped at the service center last Saturday, they started working on it on Monday.

Got a call on Tuesday from the Service Advisor letting me know they quoted the window regulator issue.. $300 bucks.. Service Advisor forgot I had Extended Warranty so I requested him to verify coverage, he said he would call Assurant and let me know..

I asked him about the dash issue, he stated they scanned all codes on the car and called Acura in the US, they were guided on performing and ECU software update, he didn't give me any specifics but he stated the car had been tested and up until that point the behavior had not repeated.

I stated that I needed them to drive the car for at least 35-40 min to replicate the issue. He said to not worry, they would have a tech guy use the car in order to verify it didn't appear again.

He called back an hour after to let me know the window regulator would be covered by the extended warranty.. Parts were ordered Tuesday and they would be receiving them either today or tomorrow..

Called today to check up on status but the service advisor was not in, so they couldn't give me a status or update on the car..

I will be calling in tomorrow 7am to check on the car, I will be spending the weekend on the east part of the Island with some friends and was planning on driving down in the MDX so I could haul everybody and drive in a single car, but I have a dealer loaner since Saturday and the contract stated if they called before 12 mid day I would need to pick up my car and hand in the loaner by 7pm same day or would be charged for usage. So I need to know If the car might be ready tomorrow or saturday so I go in the loaner or if it will probably take until Monday so I can drive down in the MDX..

Will keep you posted. Still worried since no actual parts have been changed due to the dash lighting issue and am afraid that driving it back I will get the same behavior..
Old 07-06-2012, 11:34 AM
5th Gear

Sounds like it won't be an easy fix .. Best of luck. Mine hasn't done it in a while, but then again it's nice weather outside.. Weird.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:56 PM
Road Racer / Solo Addict

Got a call today near 3pm that it was ready. Got there near 6:30pm.

Verifying the car I noticed the auto function on the newly installed window regulator was not working. They tried programming and then the window would stop working. I was really pissed.

They told me to leave the car again to get worked tomorrow.

Took the loaner again, requested in detail what was done to correct the dash issue and again they stated the issue was not replicated by the tecnitian after resetting and updating the PCM. I clearly stated the car needed to be driven.. for an extended period of time..

They drove again for 5 miles..

They asked me if I authorized an "overnight" meaning a tech guy would use it to try to replicate.. I looked at the person asking this from me and said thats exactly why I left the car here last week and why you have had it for 7 days..

I signed an authorization and left the car again..

All I want is my car fixed.. is that too much to ask for?
Old 07-16-2012, 11:07 PM
Road Racer / Solo Addict

Update, after last visit I authorized the "overnight" and the tecs were able to see the problem up front. Monday I received a call from the Service Advisor, stated the Gauge cluster was swapped out with one from another car and it was working correctly, they ordered and received a new one last Friday, installed and road tested for a long period and gave me a call to pick up today.

Sadly the Auto function on the driver window was not fixed. Pointed it out and they tried to program manually with no luck, they took it to the service area and tried programming with some type of hand held no luck either.

This entire window regulator was changed for a new one, apparently it came defective from Honda/Acura and they will order another one but the car needs to be seen by the person that authorizes the "special services" since it was replaced and will need to be re done based on the defective OEM parts. They would give me a call, I understand this would also be the person to claim the motor mounts also.

So I will be checking on that soon.

Drove the car back from the Service Center to my house (2+ hrs drive) and was working correctly.. hopefully it will continue this way..
Old 07-18-2012, 09:23 PM
5th Gear

So .. I'm not sure I understood correctly.

What was done in detail to fix the flashing lights problem?
Maybe I missed it, but it seems like all they did was reset/update the PCM, then fix your window?
Old 07-19-2012, 08:40 AM
Road Racer / Solo Addict

So .. I'm not sure I understood correctly.

What was done in detail to fix the flashing lights problem?
Maybe I missed it, but it seems like all they did was reset/update the PCM, then fix your window?
You missed it but I didn't add PN cause didn't have it at that moment..

Monday I received a call from the Service Advisor, stated the Gauge cluster was swapped out with one from another car and it was working correctly, they ordered and received a new one last Friday, installed and road tested for a long period and gave me a call to pick up today.
78100-SEP-A43 METER ASSY., COMBINATION was changed out.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:08 PM
4th Gear

My lights don't currently flicker on/off, but my problem is similar. My problem is actually more similar to AznKirby's issue that during cold weather, the lights act up a bit more and the dashboard lights don't even turn on. Was replacing the instrument panel is the ultimate fix for this?
Old 10-11-2012, 11:17 PM
Road Racer / Solo Addict

At least in my case it was, it was replaced back in July and its been hassle free since then..
Old 10-18-2012, 03:14 PM
4th Gear

How difficult is it to replace the instrument panel yourself? As long as the dealership calibrates the odometer and everything else?
Old 10-18-2012, 03:15 PM
4th Gear

just got a quote from the dealer on this fix and $1250 is a hefty price to pay...
Old 10-18-2012, 03:24 PM
Road Racer / Solo Addict

Well, I am not sure really how difficult it is.

I have worked on many Honda's and as long as you have some type of install instructions pointing to were all the clips and screws are it should be straight forward..

On the TL I did not perform this since it was still under warranty, I understand the Dealer quoted the whole work for around 1100 with the Gauge Cluster running around 900.

If you are NOT under warranty or you cannot demonstrate this is a defect from Acura and you need to perform it yourself I would recommend getting a quote directly from some online pats dealer and searching for instructions on taking the dash apart. I did so on my own and found the Cluster to be more cheaper than what the dealer quoted it for..

Now I don't know how exactly the dealer passes the info from the old cluster to the new one to retain millage etc..

They might say you can't do the work yourself in order for them to program it before installing and it might be BS just to get you to do it with them..
Old 10-18-2012, 03:36 PM
4th Gear

very useful. thank you. programming it would be the difficult part. I can probably install on my own given some guidance to start. thanks for the feedback
Old 10-18-2012, 03:41 PM
Road Racer / Solo Addict

Originally Posted by RDXmissy
very useful. thank you. programming it would be the difficult part. I can probably install on my own given some guidance to start. thanks for the feedback
Hope you get it fixed, if you need help getting the quote let me know, I can back check my emails, I think it was around 700 for the cluster itself.

And I would think instructions to take the dash apart should be available around the site since it should be similar to all other TL years..

Good Luck!
Old 10-18-2015, 11:29 PM
7th Gear

You missed it but I didn't add PN cause didn't have it at that moment..

78100-SEP-A43 METER ASSY., COMBINATION was changed out.

How much was that? What did it fix? Did you have remote linking problems? Lights flickering dash lights symbols? Outside temp not working and ac? Any if I would be appreciate.
Old 10-19-2015, 07:53 AM
Road Racer / Solo Addict

Originally Posted by trailmix211
How much was that? What did it fix? Did you have remote linking problems? Lights flickering dash lights symbols? Outside temp not working and ac? Any if I would be appreciate.
Was done under warranty but I believe the entire work was around $1,200

It fixed my issue of the flickering dash lights which kept getting worse until the dash stopped lighting up taking away the center console lights also and leaving me with no AC nor Radio in the process.

Radio and AC seem to be connected in a full loop where if the dash goes out you cannot control any of them.

They replaced the whole gauge cluster and all the issues were solved..