2007 Acura TL Type-S AT, P1745, P1717, VSA 83 DTC

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2019, 02:37 PM
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
2007 Acura TL Type-S AT, P1745, P1717, VSA 83 DTC

Good afternoon! I'm in need of some help regarding an issue I am having with my vehicle.(Currently 160k miles.) I will try to keep this as condensed as possible and include DTCs along with symptoms I am getting.

Yesterday afternoon, I was leaving home from work, accelerating from 35-40 mph after a stop light, and then my engine began to rev 4-5k RPMs, and would not shift into the next gear, and drop RPMs. Loss of power was present, and I was not able to drive past 40 mph. I'd try to accelerate, and would just rev close to 4-5 K RPMs and the car would move at its own momentum. At one point, I pulled over into a neighborhood to stop the car from damaging the car any further and made a 3-point turn, as I tried to go into reverse, the vehicle would not engage into reverse, and Then it would not engage into drive. This was after physically putting the shifter into those modes. I am aware that the P1717 DTC as I mentioned in the title is due to the shifter, but I've had this DTC with no problems before, I would just move the shifter back into place and would fix it(intermittent). I had the car towed home and now it is sitting in the garage. I once again did a small drive around my block, and began to hear for any audible noises that may be coming from the car, and I noticed that there is some sort of "clunking/metal tapping" when shifting from P, to R. Same noise is heard when when brake is pressed, switching slowly from D to R, and then to P. The "tapping" does sound like a rapid alternating tapping of some sort, so I was thinking that the shift solenoids may have failed. I finally left the car in park and left the e-brake on just in case. (vehicle sits in a leveled area.) I also checked ATF level while the vehicle was off, and warmed up, and the fluid seemed like a dark red color, but slightly burned. I also have done some maintenance on the car. I did a 3x3 fluid change within the last 4-5 months beforehand, and I also have changed the 3-4rd gear pressure switches a few months back as well.

That being said, Where should I start first? The VSA 83 DTC may have been caused due to P1745, which is an issue with the transmission, and disabled the VSA module, but of course I could be wrong. I will say that it did rain heavily the night before, so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it. And I do not possess the proper HDS to capture screenshots of the data taking place within the solenoids or sensors or able to manually control the solenoids. I live in Dallas, and I've been referred to take my car to Eagle Transmission for a "free initial diagnosis". What on my part can I do to start a diagnosis? Would checking ATF level be a good start? I really love my car, but I do not want to get rid of it if the transmission is going out. I am open to getting a low mileage used transmissions, or possible "new" transmission. But I'd like to attempt to find any electrical repairs or check ups before I decide on those last two choices. Anyone who has had this issue or has repaired this issue, I'd appreciate if anyone could be of assistance, or help me lead in the right direction. Thank you so much for your time.
Old 10-13-2019, 03:55 PM
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
For some odd reason, I do not have an option to "edit" my post, but I want to update that P0796 also was indicated at the time of this edit.
Old 10-25-2019, 02:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
Anyone?
Old 10-25-2019, 03:08 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,018 Likes on 761 Posts
Is there anyway you can take a video and post it to share with us to give us a better idea of what is going on?