2005 TL manual shifting problem!

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 12:45 PM
2005 TL Abyss Blue

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 TL manual shifting problem!

I bought a 2005 Acura TL and it is a beautiful car that I love EXCEPT when shifting to 3rd gear there is a crunching sound and it may or may not always actually go into third the first try. Acura said they have heard other complaints about this but that it is "normal" for this 2-3rd gear synchro design. I am establishing a record with Acura customer hotline and have ordered the service bulletin from site: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/home.cfm which everyone should scan before buying any car. Does anyone else have experience with the manual trans problem, let me know.
Old 03-01-2006, 12:54 PM
Instructor

there are a bunch of threads about this. i had the same problem. acura changed my trans fluid to a heavier oil. it is not "normal" by any means.
Old 03-01-2006, 01:18 PM
HMFIC

This has been discussed and the information you posted points to a TSB...

Make: ACURA Model: TL Year: 2004 Type: PASSENGER CAR Service Bulletin Number: 1205 NHTSA Item Number: 10018865 Summary Description: TRANSMISSION GRINDS AT SHIFTS, SKIP SHIFTING. *TT

GM synchromesh - friction modified cured my poor shifting.
Old 03-01-2006, 04:03 PM
Aaaarrrggghhhh!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^ fixed mine too.
Old 03-02-2006, 07:20 AM
2005 TL Abyss Blue

Originally Posted by KilroyR1

Make: ACURA Model: TL Year: 2004 Type: PASSENGER CAR Service Bulletin Number: 1205 NHTSA Item Number: 10018865 Summary Description: TRANSMISSION GRINDS AT SHIFTS, SKIP SHIFTING. *TT

Thank you very much. I have TSB 1205 on order now. Did a dealership do this fix for you? Please give me details,
Sandie
Old 03-02-2006, 08:13 AM
Instructor

yes. under warranty
Old 03-03-2006, 05:19 PM
2005 TL Abyss Blue

Originally Posted by KilroyR1

I now have the TSB 1205 which only lists cars involved w/shift and the 10018865 tech line summary indicating that skip shifters not warrantable repair. I don't "skip shift" to speak of. I don't see anything in this paperwork recommending a fix. What is "GM synchromesh, friction modified" and what dealer took care of this for you? I live in NJ. Thanks.
Sandie
Old 03-03-2006, 05:20 PM
2005 TL Abyss Blue

Originally Posted by stever627
yes. under warranty
Which dealer did this for you? What does it involve? I have to be prepared for a fight. Thanks.
Sandie
Old 03-04-2006, 09:45 AM
Racer

GM synchromesh, friction modified is transmission fluid from General Motors. Mostly all members who have changed their transmission fluid to this GM fluid swears by it. It has solved all their shifting problems including the 3rd gear problem.

If you're dealer is unwilling to swap it out for you, go to any qualified mechanic or do it yourself. It is fairly easy to do.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...omesh+modified

Try this thread for starters.
Old 03-04-2006, 08:56 PM
2005 TL Abyss Blue

Originally Posted by willz822
GM synchromesh, friction modified is transmission fluid from General Motors. Mostly all members who have changed their transmission fluid to this GM fluid swears by it. It has solved all their shifting problems including the 3rd gear problem.

If you're dealer is unwilling to swap it out for you, go to any qualified mechanic or do it yourself. It is fairly easy to do.

Thanks willz. I will bring copies of these threads to the dealer who said he never heard of the trans fluid switch and let them take care of this.
Old 06-22-2007, 11:53 AM
2nd Gear

Cool Shifting Problems / 2005 "Manual Trans" TL

I have a 2005 Manual Trans. TL...and have had a horrible time with shifting in to 3rd gear; and at times trouble shifting in to 4th...just like so many others report on these forums. Acura even replaced the trans. once, and the problem did not go away. What they won't admit is that there is a design flaw. From what I've been told by some mechanics is that it probably is a Synchro problem. What Acura refused to do is tear down that first trans. and see what is wrong (Believe me...I asked them to...'never could get an answer if it was done / what the results were, if they did do it.). I don't think they want to know the truth...and they certainly didn't want to spend the extra money to do this. So...here we are...once again... The problems have not gone away. A "big cheese", at Acura, is supposed to contact me...but I anticipate a conflict. If the call doesn't go well, I will consider the "Lemon Law".
Old 06-22-2007, 02:32 PM
#1 Super Guy!

Received 510 Likes on 367 Posts
I just picked up an 05 6MT. I have trouble getting into third at least once every time I drive it. I took it in, but of course they said it drove normal. Honda/Acura came out with a new MTF (manual trans. fluid) that is supposed to help with this, and it's the only MTF they should be carrying right now. In the january 07 service news report, the first article details the introduction of this new fluid:

NOTE: This article applies to all M/T-equipped
Acura vehicles.

We've heard reports of clients complaining about
the M/T shifting stiffly or popping out of gear. In
each case, the M/T was using aftermarket MTF or
old Acura MTF. If you've got a vehicle in your
shop that fits this profile, try draining the MTF and
replacing it with new Acura Precision Crafted MTF
(P/N 08798-9031A). This new MTF offers better
overall shift quality in cold weather (especially in
freezing temperatures), and it's got better friction
reduction for improved fuel economy and longer
transmission life.

After filling the M/T with this new MTF, take a
10-mile test-drive around town so you can do a lot
of shifting. If you've still got this problem after
your test-drive, then it's time to do some
troubleshooting.

I am planning a fluid swap real soon since I'm really getting sick of this notchy third gear and grinding high-rpm up-shifts (in my 03 element too). I just haven't decided if I should get the new Honda/Acura MTF, or just go straight for the GM friction-modified stuff.
Old 06-22-2007, 04:37 PM
Mike's Silver Bullet

I had the 3rd gear issue too, and the other gears weren't all that great, either.
Does the clutch feel different from other manual trans cars you have owned?
The clutch had to be replaced in mine at 18k, under warranty. I think the self-adjusting pressure plate failed, but I couldn't get Acura to fess up. Under this scenario, the clutch drags and the gears hang up when you shift; 3rd just happens to be the worst.

I haven't had the 3rd gear problem since the clutch replacement. However, they put the new Acura fluid in mine when they did the clutch, and it's only been about 1500 miles since then.
Old 06-23-2007, 01:01 AM
2nd Gear

Rrrtl

To: 94eg and sandynmike...

Thanks for all the info.

'ready for this???... Acura has replaced the Clutch and Trans. once, already.....and...again....the car is back with them....The problem is happening with this "set" too. This is the third time in the last 6 months I've left the car with them ('actually two dealerships...After the first dealer couldn't fix it, they suggested I go to another one in the Miami area)... I'm telling you...it's a design flaw. Sandynmike...I thought it was the synchro's for the 3rd and 4th gear....but.... the "self-adjusting pressure plate" failure possibility... that you mentioned...sounds plausible! Yesterday, I talked with the "second in command" of maintenance...you could say, for South Florida... and sure enough... he says that the clutch is damaged again. (Hot Spots and wear). So.... this is their "Get out of jail free" card... They are trying to blame me for the wear. I know people say this and say that.. but... in all honesty, I believe I drive manuals fine... 'have been since 1985....and I had a '95 Honda Civic that I put 140,000 miles on; before the first clutch failed.

94eg... As for the new Acura Precision Crafted MTF (P/N 08798-9031A) fluid... I believe they (Acura) used that on the last "TRY"...but
I will confirm with them, next week.

Well... We'll see what happens! Thanks, again!

RRRTL
Old 06-23-2007, 11:39 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
A reminder to all MT drivers that sitting with foot on clutch in traffic or at lights will cause extreme wear on the clutch parts

You can shift gentle and not be a lead foot and still do those other things and trash the parts
Old 06-23-2007, 11:55 AM
#1 Super Guy!

Received 510 Likes on 367 Posts
Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
A reminder to all MT drivers that sitting with foot on clutch in traffic or at lights will cause extreme wear on the clutch parts

You can shift gentle and not be a lead foot and still do those other things and trash the parts
Technically the only thing that will wear when sitting with your foot on the clutch, is the thrust bearings inside the motor. And thats only significant if engine oil pressure is low or you have a beefed up clutch. If there is proper clearance, the pressure plate, disc & flywheel don't really rub agianst eachother when the pedal is all the way in (this is the problem sandynmike experienced with the self adjusting pressure plate). The only other parts doing any work at this point are the throw-out bearing, and pilot bearing as they allow the engine crankshaft/flywheel/pressure-plate, to spin independently of the transmission-mainshaft/clutch-disc. It's not really a big deal if your using stock parts as these parts are designed to have the thrust force of the pressure plate load the bearing specifically in that way...

On a side note, I always sit at a stop with the car in neutral and the clutch pedal out, and always recommend people do the same. I'm just anal that way...
Old 06-23-2007, 10:31 PM
Mike's Silver Bullet

Originally Posted by RRRTL
To: 94eg and sandynmike...

Thanks for all the info.

'ready for this???... Acura has replaced the Clutch and Trans. once, already.....and...again....the car is back with them....The problem is happening with this "set" too. ...
RRRTL
There's a special tool needed to install the pressure plate correctly, I think it's mentioned in this thread:
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ht=clutch+tool
If it was like mine, the clutch caught too close to the floor, and the friction zone was large. I think those are the symptoms of the bad pressure plate.
Good Luck.
Old 06-24-2007, 11:47 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by willz822

I had Acura put their new and improved MTF. The shifting was much better but the notchy 3rd gear issue returned in its full glory in less than a month . I put in the GM Synchromesh and, three months later, the shifting is still flawless. I had a local mechanic put it in for me - he only charged me $20 for labor too