'08 TL 53K Tranny Shudder and Slip

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 03:21 PM
Two '08 TLs

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
'08 TL 53K Tranny Shudder and Slip

I just bought two CPO 08 Acura TL's with the extended Acura Care warranty. My wife's car has 43K on it, no issues yet. Mine has 52K on it and I am having transmission issues. At about 25 miles per hour (3rd gear I believe) there is a light shuddering feeling as the car is about to shift. This only happens when I accelerate slowly. This has happened four times now. Also, on three occasions, as I am slowing down to about 25 and then immediately get on the accelerator the car rev's but goes nowhere for a second or so, as if the car is in neutral. The car then "slams" into gear if I don't back off the gas quick enough.

I know the earlier TL's had trans issues but on an 08? Sounds like torque converter problem to me. Anyone else see this on later TL's?

Thanks.
Old 08-28-2011, 05:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,014 Likes on 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by dece207
I just bought two CPO 08 Acura TL's with the extended Acura Care warranty. My wife's car has 43K on it, no issues yet. Mine has 52K on it and I am having transmission issues. At about 25 miles per hour (3rd gear I believe) there is a light shuddering feeling as the car is about to shift. This only happens when I accelerate slowly. This has happened four times now. Also, on three occasions, as I am slowing down to about 25 and then immediately get on the accelerator the car rev's but goes nowhere for a second or so, as if the car is in neutral. The car then "slams" into gear if I don't back off the gas quick enough.

I know the earlier TL's had trans issues but on an 08? Sounds like torque converter problem to me. Anyone else see this on later TL's?

Thanks.
Actually there isn't a real problem with your car. Some of it is a characteristic when the transmission fluid breaks down a bit and doesn't work as well. Basically when you are accelerating slowly the TL has to work harder to get a better shift, esp at low speeds. The trans must shift fast enough to where you don't fall below the gear's required engagement speed but as well engage with the right amount of force so it doesn't damage/wear any internal parts. When the fluid starts to break down, it can no longer help the transmission work in harmony. As well it explains that delay you are getting when you stomp on the pedal like that. A slight delay occurs while the transmission thinks for a split second as to which gear is best and then shifts to it, but you are getting a bit more than a slight delay because the fluid isn't allowing the torque converter to work properly.

I suggest that you get yourself some new fluid at a minimum. Get the Acura DW-1 Fluid (new fluid that is supposed to be better than the crappy Honda Z-1). Drive around for a bit and see if it helps.
Old 08-28-2011, 07:19 PM
Two '08 TLs

Thanks for the info. I am going to drop the car off at Acura as soon as I get a chance. Even with a CPO, I imagine the first thing they will do it check and change the fluid, i.e. the path of least resistance. The car did sit on the lot for almost 90 days and I know fluids don't like to sit idle. Other sources have suggested torque converter which it may be but we'll see. For what I paid for both car and extended Acura warranty, the driving experience in it's current state is not acceptable. Now can I just convince the service manager of that. Three Acuras bought in 16 months might give me some leverage? Might.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:24 AM
US Navy Seabees

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts
order new 3rd and 4th gear pressure switches and get a good transmission fluid like Redline ATF in there ASAP. The Acura trans fluid is garbage and the switches should fix the symptoms your having.
Old 08-30-2011, 01:03 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Can we just delete the fucking transmission threads since no one reads them?
Old 08-30-2011, 01:26 PM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
^^^

I feel you man....there is no more reading going on....only posting new thread....lets keep the tranny threads and delete the search button....its collecting rust anyway
Old 08-30-2011, 10:08 PM
Two '08 TLs

Originally Posted by I hate cars
Can we just delete the fucking transmission threads since no one reads them?
I read them. Not all 500 of them because most of them don't actually apply to my issue or are filled with garbage much like your reply above. So if you're going to take the time to click on my thread, and reply to my question why not at least try to help me out. Otherwise you're doing the very thing you are accusing me of doing: wasting time.

Thanks to the others who did lend me some knowledge. I appreciate it.
Old 08-30-2011, 11:19 PM
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts
Honestly I don't think they check fluid, resistance paths and switches. If I were you I'd complain and offer to take the manager or tech out for a ride to describe your problem and try to get a free tranny replacement first! That's alot nicer, new fluid and switches for freeeee!
Old 08-31-2011, 12:53 AM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
I read them. Not all 500 of them because most of them don't actually apply to my issue or are filled with garbage much like your reply above. So if you're going to take the time to click on my thread, and reply to my question why not at least try to help me out. Otherwise you're doing the very thing you are accusing me of doing: wasting time.

Here, try this thread:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ht=interesting
Old 08-31-2011, 09:14 AM
Team Owner

It's because of lazy fucking people like you that the threads are filled with garbage. You're wasting everyone's time when this has been discussed literally hundreds of times. I hope you have to shell out the $5,000 for a new trans and torque converter for being lazy. You just did what I've been talking about, another thread with half ass info, most of it wrong so when someone goes to search they run into this garbage. I'm tired of spoon feeding babies.
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (08-31-2011)
Old 08-31-2011, 10:16 PM
Two '08 TLs

Originally Posted by I hate cars
It's because of lazy fucking people like you that the threads are filled with garbage. You're wasting everyone's time when this has been discussed literally hundreds of times. I hope you have to shell out the $5,000 for a new trans and torque converter for being lazy. You just did what I've been talking about, another thread with half ass info, most of it wrong so when someone goes to search they run into this garbage. I'm tired of spoon feeding babies.
Looks like I found the douche bag of the forum. What kind of man has the time to post over 13,000 replies on a car forum? The type that doesn't get laid that's what kind. I can tell by that black hunk of crap car in your photo that you're a tiny dicked tool who gets zero pussy. Who cares if I posted something that's been beaten to death? Either answer my question or shut the hell up. I saw you had the same advice on another thread. This is a car forum not letters to the troops fighting for our freedom. Get some perspective. Lighten up. Maybe then you'll stop coming across as a fuck wad.

And do you really think that your advice is going to save anyone from having to shell out $5000 for repairs? First of all my Acuras have warranties. I don't drive an early 80's white trash Grand National or whatever that American land yacht is in your photo. So I'm not going to be shelling out anything Kid Rock.

Well, I'll let you get back to your posting. I hear when you hit 14,000 posts you get a free trucker cap. You'll look great.

Actually those Buicks were kick ass for their time and nothing could touch them off the line. So I'll retract that part of my rebuttal. But everything else stays.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:38 PM
Team Owner

Looks like I found the douche bag of the forum. What kind of man has the time to post over 13,000 replies on a car forum? The type that doesn't get laid that's what kind. I can tell by that black hunk of crap car in your photo that you're a tiny dicked tool who gets zero pussy. Who cares if I posted something that's been beaten to death? Either answer my question or shut the hell up. I saw you had the same advice on another thread. This is a car forum not letters to the troops fighting for our freedom. Get some perspective. Lighten up. Maybe then you'll stop coming across as a fuck wad.

And do you really think that your advice is going to save anyone from having to shell out $5000 for repairs? First of all my Acuras have warranties. I don't drive an early 80's white trash Grand National or whatever that American land yacht is in your photo. So I'm not going to be shelling out anything Kid Rock.

Well, I'll let you get back to your posting. I hear when you hit 14,000 posts you get a free trucker cap. You'll look great.

Actually those Buicks were kick ass for their time and nothing could touch them off the line. So I'll retract that part of my rebuttal. But everything else stays.
None of that changes the fact you're a noob that's too lazy to search. You're right, my fixes don't work now pay Acura $5K to fix your trans. Don't bother with another reply of this sort unless you happen to be visiting CA. If you want to take this to e-mail or PM I'll be glad to discuss options with you.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:47 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 201 Likes on 145 Posts
Lock please
Old 08-31-2011, 10:49 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by P1zzaman
Lock please
I think this is the part where the rope is handed out liberally lol.