07 TL-S 6 speed manual - Clicking sound when starting off

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 09:27 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
07 TL-S 6 speed manual - Clicking sound when starting off

I noticed I have several clicks coming off from somewhere around the front left wheel area when just starting to pull away. Its a 6 speed, so just as I release the clutch and the car starts moving I hear several clicks..Same thing if I put it in reverse, as soon as it starts rolling I hear several clicks and then it goes away. Is that normal?
Old 08-16-2010, 09:55 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My '05 6MT did the same thing - Acura replaced the entire left axle assembly under warranty. I'm not sure, though, exactly where the failure occurred.
Old 08-18-2010, 04:34 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have the exact same problem, left front side, when I'm starting off, when I let off the gas in first or second, and also when i hammer it in second, and third. I've noticed that my lower tranny mount is ripped so I'll start with that. And yeA it also does it as when I begin moving in reverse as well. I can't see it being a driveshaft issue, only because it doesn't sound like s typical drive shaft noise. And secondly because it hasn't gotten any worse.
Old 09-18-2010, 05:46 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by speedytypes
I have the exact same problem, left front side, when I'm starting off, when I let off the gas in first or second, and also when i hammer it in second, and third. I've noticed that my lower tranny mount is ripped so I'll start with that. And yeA it also does it as when I begin moving in reverse as well. I can't see it being a driveshaft issue, only because it doesn't sound like s typical drive shaft noise. And secondly because it hasn't gotten any worse.
i've got the same thing .... any conclusions?
Old 09-18-2010, 06:38 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 831 Likes on 679 Posts
Difficult with a MT, but when the car starts moving, keep your foot on the brake slightly to hold the pads in place. Can always pull a wheels and see if you can move the pads back and forth inside the caliper. CV joints will usually shout out when in a turn and accelerating, not just when the car first starts moving.

OE pads or aftermarket units?
Old 09-18-2010, 08:50 AM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 184 Likes on 131 Posts
A different theory

Had the same thing in my 05. Only when the wheel was straight. I'd hear it click once or twice on letting out the clutch (forward or reverse). I could sometimes here it click again as I let off the gas and engine braking started. Never heard it with closed windows. The dealer heard it but was convinced it was my brak pads "shifting" in the calipers (what BS). Couldn't get them to "bite" on a new axle under warranty. So I figured I'd drive it until it got worse. It never did get worse. In fact it's GONE little more than one year later.

Another member on the board is convinced it's the splines of the axle clicking in the hub. He's suggested removing the nut on the front hub so you can push back the axle, lube the spline and then reassemble. Based on my experience with other (non automotive) applications of splined shafts, and how they can click like an absolute bastard, I think he could be right.

REF post #6 here-->: https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...axle%2C+biggie.

Joints usually, not always, make noise when turning if they are toast. This noise is only straight. Since others with this issue say it was "solved" by replacing the shaft it really could be that their shafts/joints were fine but the simple act of disassembly and then reassembly in essence did the same thing as lubing the spline as described above

I'm not suggesting that ignoring it is necessarily the right solution. In my case the symptom didn't justify any major work being done until it was more pronounced. I'm going with the clicking spline theory for now.
Old 09-19-2010, 11:00 AM
4th Gear

My 08 Type S is doing the same thing. I have took into the dealership twice ad was told the first time that the backing plates needed to be adjusted...so they did, and that didn't fix it, then the second time they said that there was a engine dampener that needed a "washer" installed....that alo didn't fix it.. Now I am seriously disappointed in my dealers ability to properly fix the car. I am not ASE certified but I have been to school for three years and am a mechanic in the military for 11 years now. Its not easy to blow smoke up my rear, but I want to let them address the warranty. I already proved to them once the first day I drove the car that the third gear syncro was bad, it only took them two months to finally fix that problem. Then I was told there was a TSB (which I already knew) out and they went ahead and "took care of it"... I will give them one more chance with this clicking issue then I a going to come unglued. This is my 3rd TL, and my 4th Acura. I expect more from the local dealers and my second Acura was a MDX which turned out to be a lemon...lol
Ill keep everyone posted on if/when this little issue gets fixed.
Old 09-19-2010, 11:01 AM
4th Gear

My 08 Type S is doing the same thing. I have took into the dealership twice and was told the first time that the backing plates needed to be adjusted...so they did, and that didn't fix it, then the second time they said that there was a engine dampener that needed a "washer" installed....that alo didn't fix it.. Now I am seriously disappointed in my dealers ability to properly fix the car. I am not ASE certified but I have been to school for three years and am a mechanic in the military for 11 years now. Its not easy to blow smoke up my rear, but I want to let them address the warranty. I already proved to them once the first day I drove the car that the third gear syncro was bad, it only took them two months to finally fix that problem. Then I was told there was a TSB (which I already knew) out and they went ahead and "took care of it"... I will give them one more chance with this clicking issue then I a going to come unglued. This is my 3rd TL, and my 4th Acura. I expect more from the local dealers and my second Acura was a MDX which turned out to be a lemon...lol
Ill keep everyone posted on if/when this little issue gets fixed.[/quote]