07 Acura TL auto 116k engine problem

Old 05-09-2018, 05:26 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07 Acura TL auto 116k engine problem

I’m new to this stuff so bare with me.

I have a white 2007 Acura TL automatic.

My car has been running great with no issues at all. Today while cleaning it, I heard pulses coming from the exhaust but no smoke. I went up towards the from and saw the Rpm go from 1500 to around 2400 as if it were going to stall. The temperature gauge had went up slightly. I turned it off to check the engine bay and saw no smoke coming from anywhere.

When I try to start it, it take a while to crank over and when it does, it pretty much stalls out. I’m prepared for the worst about the timing belt even though I thought these cars use chains.

I spoke with a few people and this is what I got

-timing belt snapped
-water pump went bad
-bad gas
-bad ignition

any ideas?
What should be my first steps to finding out what happened?
is there an easy way for me to check the timing belt to see if it broke?

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-09-2018, 06:34 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,303 Posts
yeah take the TB cover off and check the belt. all V6 Honda use timing belt, without video we can't tell what your TL is doing so ask us to diagnostic almost impossible.
Old 05-10-2018, 06:13 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I don't think it is the timing belt.
Maybe the PCM got wet.
Old 05-10-2018, 07:39 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 136 Likes on 109 Posts
Originally Posted by Julius17
I’m new to this stuff so bare with me.

I have a white 2007 Acura TL automatic.

My car has been running great with no issues at all. Today while cleaning it, I heard pulses coming from the exhaust but no smoke. I went up towards the from and saw the Rpm go from 1500 to around 2400 as if it were going to stall. The temperature gauge had went up slightly. I turned it off to check the engine bay and saw no smoke coming from anywhere.

When I try to start it, it take a while to crank over and when it does, it pretty much stalls out. I’m prepared for the worst about the timing belt even though I thought these cars use chains.

I spoke with a few people and this is what I got

-timing belt snapped
-water pump went bad
-bad gas
-bad ignition

any ideas?
What should be my first steps to finding out what happened?
is there an easy way for me to check the timing belt to see if it broke?

Thanks in advance.
Be assured, it's not a broken timing belt. If the timing belt snapped, the engine would not run. Has the check engine light come on?
Old 05-10-2018, 07:42 AM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't think there is any way the timing belt "snapped". The car wouldn't run at all! Even if the belt were going bad, it's hard to imagine it jumping time. Do you have any check engine lights?

Edited...frankjnjr beat me by a few minutes

Last edited by txcharvel; 05-10-2018 at 07:45 AM.
Old 05-10-2018, 06:11 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by txcharvel
I don't think there is any way the timing belt "snapped". The car wouldn't run at all! Even if the belt were going bad, it's hard to imagine it jumping time. Do you have any check engine lights?

Edited...frankjnjr beat me by a few minutes
it ended up being a misfire in cylinders 5 and 6. Going to replace all coils and plugs tomorrow. I’ve had car misfire but damn this one was terrible the way it just stalled out and didn’t want to start. The timing belt was fine (no rips and the pullies look fine) but I’m thinking about replacing all timing components just for peace of mind.

Or should I go with the, “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.”
Old 05-10-2018, 06:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Julius17

it ended up being a misfire in cylinders 5 and 6. Going to replace all coils and plugs tomorrow. I’ve had car misfire but damn this one was terrible the way it just stalled out and didn’t want to start. The timing belt was fine (no rips and the pullies look fine) but I’m thinking about replacing all timing components just for peace of mind.

Or should I go with the, “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.”
Hey Julius, Has your TL had the 7 year 105k timing belt service performed. If yes, your good to go. If no, than it is long overdue, and needs to be done as soon as possible. Regarding replacing all six ignition coils, I think that would be a waste of money, unless it just makes you feel better. My 03 TLS, has 238K, it's 16 years old, and still has four of it's six original coils. Just my .02 cents.
Old 05-10-2018, 07:49 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by frankjnjr
Hey Julius, Has your TL had the 7 year 105k timing belt service performed. If yes, your good to go. If no, than it is long overdue, and needs to be done as soon as possible. Regarding replacing all six ignition coils, I think that would be a waste of money, unless it just makes you feel better. My 03 TLS, has 238K, it's 16 years old, and still has four of it's six original coils. Just my .02 cents.

no no I was just going to replace the 5 and 6 coils, change all the plugs, and maybe the belt. I bought the car from a dealer but I’m not sure if the belt was changed. But just by looking at it, it looks like it’s in great shape.

No way on telling when and if it was changed because I don’t see any new notches or dates with mileage by the cover.
Old 05-11-2018, 07:45 AM
Burning Brakes

(" No way on telling when and if it was changed because I don’t see any new notches or dates with mileage by the cover.") A couple of ways, you may be able to check, and see if the TB services was ever done: (1.) FREE: Call Acura Client Services, and ask if the TB service appears anywhere in the VIN History. (2.) It will cost you a fer bucks, but a Carfax report "MAY" include such information. Maybe, try asking the Dealer, you bought the car from, if they can run the Carfax for you, at no charge. Keep in mind, regardless of how good the Belt appears to be, it's appearance is really no guarantee of it's age, or condition. If I owned your car, and could not confirm, that the 105 Service had been performed, I would go ahead, and do it anyway. A potential timing belt failure, is just not worth the risk!