'06 shifting issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 10:39 AM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'06 shifting issues

First of all, I am brand new here - this is my first post, and I want to thank you in advance for any help you can provide. I also attempted to search this topic, but didn't seem to find this issue - if it is indeed well documented somewhere, i'd love a link.

Anyways, the issue goes as such:
I have an '06 TL, and at about 120k the tranny started slipping pretty bad, after a few smaller attempts (changing fluids, ect..) I was advised it needed to be rebuilt. I got it back, and it worked great for about a week. Now it shifts very strangely most of the time - it revs up and as it shifts it's very clunky, not smooth at all. I get a slight "jerk" on almost every shift, sometimes worse than others. It's very uncomfortable.
Downshifting seems to be similar, if going down a hill and I start to break the RPMs go down as they should but then the engine revs slightly and the tac shoots back up a ways before going back down as it should.

When im accelerating and say I get to 2nd gear, almost to 3rd gear but then begin to coast, sometimes the engine stays revved up at about 2000rpm almost "stuck" there for a time before the standard "jerk" and then downshift.

When it was rebuilt it has a 2, or 3 year warranty, so I took it back to the trans place to attempt to show them the issue. And of course it doesn't happen during the test drive, either that or the guy is trying to get over on me - I KNOW it can shift properly, because sometimes it shifts perfectly, and I think to myself "that's how it should always be."

The guy at the shop tells me "Honda's just don't shift very smoothly." That sounded like a huge line of bull just to get me out the door. Obviously I don't know a ton about cars, and they know it. I'm trying to go there with a little ammunition next time, so hopefully you guys can help to shed some light on it.

I'll try to answer any questions to clarify a bit better, i'm sure it isn't worded very well.

Thanks a lot for any help you can give.

- Drew
Old 10-27-2015, 11:34 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts
Welcome. It sounds like maybe you did not go on the test drive? I would say if you didn't then go back and sit in the car with them. Either you drive or the mechanic but make sure it displays the issue. Kinda sounds like a mount is bad besides maybe something else wrong
Old 10-27-2015, 11:48 AM
6th Gear

I was with him in the car. It's less noticeable when you're not driving, but it happens every single time for the majority of the shifts, so I know it was happening. He was trying to make me think it was normal. I don't know how I can best relay the issue - he didn't feel it when i'm driving, and other than the tac shooting up on the downshift, I can't tell very well when it jerks when HE was driving.

I did forget to mention this, he noticed the tac moving back up on one of the downshifts and told me "there might be something wrong with the tac." He didn't feel the car revving up as well, I'm pretty sure the tac was displaying the proper RPM, because there is a noticeable jerk when this happens.

It's very frustrating that he didn't experience the problem, or he's acting like he didn't. I almost feel since i've already paid them and its under warranty they are trying to ignore it.
Old 10-27-2015, 12:56 PM
Burning Brakes

Doubt the tach is bad. Is the tach bouncing around at all while cruising at a constant speed? Maybe you have a torque converter issue.
Old 10-27-2015, 01:09 PM
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts
Hmmm when i started having transmission issues, it took 9 months to die. In those 9 months, there were good days, bad days, and days i didn't think I'd get home. You have your warning, prepare some cash to deal with it, at least it won't be a surprise that almost cost a job like some other guy here
Old 10-27-2015, 01:27 PM
6th Gear

I had the rebuilt...and this is happening after that. I've already paid - now I want it to work properly.

Marc: I dont think its the tac either. I'll examine a bit better, but im pretty sure it doesn't jump while im cruising.
Old 10-27-2015, 03:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Yeah, see what it does when you are at very light throttle at around 50mph. That should have it in 5th with TQ engaged at low rpm.
Aside from that, I can feel for you- can be tough if the shop isn't going to back up their work
Old 10-27-2015, 04:12 PM
Drifting

Received 480 Likes on 421 Posts
Put it on cruise control then you'll know for sure if it's the tach acting up.
Old 10-27-2015, 05:30 PM
6th Gear

Because in CC if it's bad the tach will jump around while it should be still? I'll take note and update tomorrow. i'm pretty sure it doesn't do this.

Update: when I mentioned the downshift, and the tach getting stuck before slowly dropping down - the tach will actually get "stuck" at about 2000 rpm, even when i'm going like 15mph with the foot off the gas - then it jerks and the tach shoots back down to 1000rpm - there isn't anything gradual about it, if that makes any sense.
Old 10-27-2015, 05:53 PM
Drifting

Received 480 Likes on 421 Posts
^ It sounds like to me that the tach is working as it should bc the trans is not down shifting so the tach is showing the correct high/delayed higher rpm.

You need to be able to duplicate the circumstances which causes those symptoms so you can show it to the Trans Shop.

Try driving it more aggressive to get it to act up. Once you get the correct combination or sequence of events for it to act up then you should be able to duplicate it almost everytime.
Old 10-28-2015, 11:51 AM
6th Gear

I never have a problem getting it to act up - and I kinda think the technician was trying to downplay the issue.

If nothing else, im trying to understand that it is indeed supposed to shift smoothly like every other car I drive... I shouldn't be able to notice when it shifts right, like a noticeable "Jerk" upon the shift.

Update: the tach stays very constant when i'm up to speed with CC on as well. So I dont believe the Tach is broken.
Old 10-28-2015, 01:29 PM
Registered Bunny

Received 1,073 Likes on 892 Posts
I think they're just trying to pass it off as ok. Time to be angry.
Old 10-28-2015, 01:39 PM
6th Gear

That's what I was thinking, its not hard to notice.