06 Automatic Transmission Concerns

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2006, 05:30 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 Automatic Transmission Concerns

OK, there's two things I'm noticing with the tranny.

1. If I'm driving normally and approaching a red light I will begin to slow down (not a complete stop just yet). Then the light turns green while I'm slowing down so I begin to press on the accelerator, but the car jerks forward hard. Is this normal? I would have to gently press on the accelerator to not have this effect.

2. Sometimes when I accelerate from a dead stop (usually going up a slight hill or more load on the engine than usual - I'm usually always driving by myself), it will accelerate from 1st gear, feel like its cutting off power for a brief moment then going into 2nd gear, but not seamlessly. It doesn't happen all the time and it doesn't seem to happen when the A/C is on...any ideas here? I did a ATF change, but that didn't solve anything. If this is normal, then I'll be fine.

Thanks.
Old 12-31-2006, 05:41 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by TriniBwoy

1. If I'm driving normally and approaching a red light I will begin to slow down (not a complete stop just yet). Then the light turns green while I'm slowing down so I begin to press on the accelerator, but the car jerks forward hard. Is this normal? I would have to gently press on the accelerator to not have this effect.

2. Sometimes when I accelerate from a dead stop (usually going up a slight hill or more load on the engine than usual - I'm usually always driving by myself), it will accelerate from 1st gear, feel like its cutting off power for a brief moment then going into 2nd gear, but not seamlessly. It doesn't happen all the time and it doesn't seem to happen when the A/C is on...any ideas here? I did a ATF change, but that didn't solve anything. If this is normal, then I'll be fine.

Thanks.
How many miles your TL had when you changed tranny oil?
Old 12-31-2006, 06:05 PM
Banned

I changed it at around 6K and now have about 9700 miles
Old 01-01-2007, 09:36 AM
Racer

I changed it at around 6K and now have about 9700 miles
Why did you change ATF oil in transmission at 6000 miles? Did mechanic or dealer tell you or was it your decision.
As I know most cars do not require changing ATF at least 50000 miles.
Correct me if I am wrong, but I know for sure that my cars and my friend's car we never change ATF oil till car gets 80000 miles and so far no issues at all.
Also I have few friends with Nissan Maxima and they have not changes ATF oil at 120K (20 times more than yours) because oil is in normal condition.

May be Acura is different, but anyway I almost sure that 6000 miles is toooooo soon to change ATF.
Even regular motor oil some people change at 7000-7500 miles and it still okay.
Check maintenance book and see when is first time Acura recommends changing ATF
Old 01-01-2007, 02:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 594 Likes on 457 Posts
I have an 06 5AT w/ 9000 miles and it does not do any of the above.
Old 01-01-2007, 07:37 PM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts
2. ....feel like its cutting off power for a brief moment then going into 2nd gear....
Thanks.

Ha ha. It IS cutting off power. The Drive By Wire throttle is closing the throttle for a fraction of a second as the trans shifts.

I have a cold air intake. I can easliy hear the throttle plate SLAMMING closed when I do a WOT from 1st to 2nd gear changes. The first time it happened to me with the caold air intake, I was somewhat worried... What was that noises ???? Later, I learned that the throttle slams shut between shifts.
Old 01-01-2007, 10:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Inaccurate
Ha ha. It IS cutting off power. The Drive By Wire throttle is closing the throttle for a fraction of a second as the trans shifts.

I have a cold air intake. I can easliy hear the throttle plate SLAMMING closed when I do a WOT from 1st to 2nd gear changes. The first time it happened to me with the caold air intake, I was somewhat worried... What was that noises ???? Later, I learned that the throttle slams shut between shifts.
Yeah, I forgot to mention that it happens when I accelerate a bit hard from a dead stop. From your post, it sounds like it's suppose to be normal.
Old 01-02-2007, 07:53 PM
Advanced

auto trans

I had a 05 auto tl and it also was not smooth getting back on the gas after slowing down and almost stopping! Test drove other tl`s and some were better than others, after test driving one with a service manager I realized there was nothing I could do to fix the problem. I eventually got sick of it so I traded it in for a 06 6sp, love it now!
Old 01-04-2007, 10:36 PM
Team SSM

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Thanks.

The 1st problem you listed....I have that exact problem as well.....especially in traffic when your not fully coming to a stop, and then you have to accelerate again. But i've learnt to deal with it.
Old 01-06-2007, 04:52 PM
Now with i-Vtec

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by SSMTL04
The 1st problem you listed....I have that exact problem as well.....especially in traffic when your not fully coming to a stop, and then you have to accelerate again. But i've learnt to deal with it.

It's normal. Look in your manual regarding grade logic. i am pretty sure it says something about it.

As for the no power on take off it seems to be an issue that I myself couldn't deal with anymore. So nice to be back in a manual.
Old 01-07-2007, 01:39 AM
Hondata > *

when you slow down, you're still in either 3rd or 2nd gear. when you immediately step on the gas, the load values rise, and the automatic ecu sees this and readjusts to help accelerate by downshifting, hence you feel the slight jerk.

also, try to have your dealer check your idle air control valve. my auto rsx had similar problem, dealer found it the problem stemmed from the dirty IACV.
Old 01-07-2007, 03:34 PM
Now with i-Vtec

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 06WDP-TL
when you slow down, you're still in either 3rd or 2nd gear. when you immediately step on the gas, the load values rise, and the automatic ecu sees this and readjusts to help accelerate by downshifting, hence you feel the slight jerk.

also, try to have your dealer check your idle air control valve. my auto rsx had similar problem, dealer found it the problem stemmed from the dirty IACV.

It's not the IACV because my TL did it from practically new. Usually if the IACV is dirty it will make the car idle funny. There is a nother problem somewhere else besides sensors and I belive it stems from heat in the tranny due to improper cooling of the transmission.