04 TL wont turn over ? Suggestions ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 06:16 AM
Drifting

Received 242 Likes on 165 Posts
04 TL wont turn over ? Suggestions ?

Hi guys. I left my 2004 TL sit over the weekend(which I often do..we have 2 cars) and I went to start it this morning and it will not turn over. It cranks, the battery life is fine...but it will not turn over. Any suggestions ? car has about 80k miles on it...
Thanks !
Old 02-09-2009, 06:19 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
Did the lights flicker at all? Mine died yesterday. It tried to start but would not turn over. Neighbor gave me a jump and I did some driving to recharge the battery. Started okay this morning. So, it may be your battery. If it's the OEM battery, they are crap.
Old 02-09-2009, 06:50 AM
Drifting

no light flicker...I replaced the battery about 2 years ago...It doesnt seem like the battery.
Old 02-09-2009, 07:08 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
Originally Posted by SilverJ
I went to start it this morning and it will not turn over. It cranks, the battery life is fine...but it will not turn over.
Maybe you can give additional information as I don't understand how it cranks but will not turn over. To me, when it cranks it's turning over.
Old 02-09-2009, 11:48 AM
User name now jdb8805

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
does it crank faster than "normal" as if there is no compression?

This can be an indication of broken timing belt.

General Troubleshooting:

In general, it takes 3 thinks for the engine to start (besides cranking).

Fuel, spark, Compression.

If it sounds normal when cranking, then you probably have compression. It will spin really fast if you don't.

You can remove a spark plug boot, lay it down, have someone else crank, you'll see a blue arc if there is "fire" Don't hold it.

It is possible that your fuel pump has failed, but that would require some tools to test.

Could be computer related, immobilizer key related etc, but not sure about those.
Old 02-09-2009, 12:19 PM
Drifting

ok went to start again...it started. weird. I took it to autozone for a battery test...he said the battery was GOOD under load and in between the LOW and GOOD marker when there is no load. I am not due for timing belt yet so I think I am ok there....not sure what caused it to not start this AM outside of it sitting for 3 days...but thats not uncommon.
Old 02-09-2009, 12:25 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,843 Likes on 8,574 Posts
If it cranks but will not turn over than it might be a common issue attributed to Honda emission controls allowing your cat's to warm up to reduce emissions on a cold start..

If it goes *click *click *click.. that is indicative of a bad battery / cable connector.

If it doesn't crank then I would say starter. In your case it sounds like a case of emission controls prohibiting the engine from turning over by the way you describe it.
Old 02-09-2009, 02:42 PM
TCU Frogs!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SilverJ, my car has been doing the same thing these past 2 days. I was at home all weekend so the car was off for about 48hrs. I wanted to go pick up dinner last night and it wouldn't start. Unlocking the car, memory seats, and radio still works when I turn the key to ACC. However when I try to start it, the car just gives this "eh eh eh eh eh" sound and not turn over. However it's been very intermittent. I started it this morning for school without any problems, but it died while I was getting gas at a gas station this afternoon. Walker Acura here in New Orleans ultimately replaced the battery for me, so now I am gonna see how it runs the rest of the week. I am actually doubtful that it's the battery.
Old 02-09-2009, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by MoHaWk2003
SilverJ, my car has been doing the same thing these past 2 days. I was at home all weekend so the car was off for about 48hrs. I wanted to go pick up dinner last night and it wouldn't start. Unlocking the car, memory seats, and radio still works when I turn the key to ACC. However when I try to start it, the car just gives this "eh eh eh eh eh" sound and not turn over. However it's been very intermittent. I started it this morning for school without any problems, but it died while I was getting gas at a gas station this afternoon. Walker Acura here in New Orleans ultimately replaced the battery for me, so now I am gonna see how it runs the rest of the week. I am actually doubtful that it's the battery.
I'd sell the battery back to Acura or put it up for sale.. Should retrieve good money and then I'd buy a higher rated / more reliable battery. I'm a big time supporter of Optima.. but I'm also cheap so I bought a Duralast Gold Yellow Top (35).. It's treated me well so far. Starts are real crisp and strong.

If you have an aftermarket system I wouldn't get anything but Optima because they've never failed me. I'm on 4 mos with the DGYT and no problems. I don't have any additional power draws so I thought I would try it since it was 1/3 the cost with almost equivalent specs and longer replacement period.
Old 02-09-2009, 03:00 PM
TCU Frogs!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the battery was replaced at Acura under warranty, which is why i got it there. or else i would've gotten an optima red top. i put one of those in my parents' g35 and it's been amazing.

i am just not convinced that it's the battery. because it wouldn't have started this morning if the battery was dead. maybe being in new orleans and the humidity messed up the terminals on the battery somehow? fuel pump? alternator? do TL's still have distributors? i don't know.
Old 02-09-2009, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by MoHaWk2003
the battery was replaced at Acura under warranty, which is why i got it there. or else i would've gotten an optima red top. i put one of those in my parents' g35 and it's been amazing.

i am just not convinced that it's the battery. because it wouldn't have started this morning if the battery was dead. maybe being in new orleans and the humidity messed up the terminals on the battery somehow? fuel pump? alternator? do TL's still have distributors? i don't know.
I wish they had distributors.. their COP [coil-over-plug]. It could have been your cable connection. Try sanding terminals.. if that doesn't work then replace cable.. but I put my money on the cheap batteries.. it's funny because the OE battery is made by Delphi and they typically produce excellent batteries.

Yeah Optima's are awesome! I've had some die but only after being left without a charge for ~1 month while it was running my viper alarm system. After a jump and a charge.. no problems.