Quanaman's NBP Type-S Progress Thread: Updated 12/24/14

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 09:28 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Nice job with your list of updates!

I've updated the title of your thread for you.
Old 04-07-2012, 11:22 PM
TL-S

Received 413 Likes on 366 Posts
Thanks Steven!!

Originally Posted by 07badasstl
what are you dropped on? you dont have it in your mod list
Whoops. How could I forget one of my most recent and most favorite mods

Originally Posted by YMCMB TYPE-S
Nice progress man…car looks but I think it looked better with the TLs rims
Thanks! Honestly though, I just got bored of them after a while. I always end up going back to stockies after a while.

Since this thread was bumped I might as well throw in a couple of the latest pics! I went on a little road trip Friday for a wedding and just got back today. I spent the night in NYC and in NJ. I threw on the stockies for the trip and snapped a couple pics. Every time I put them on I realize that some of us really take the beauty of the original 5 spoke pattern for granted. Its a damn good looking wheel for OEM.

I had 5 people in the car and a trunk packed FULL. The wheels kept rubbing over big bumps/dips BUT! I finally broke 30MPG!!!

I installed t3 neo wedge bulbs a week or two ago inside some of the bulbs and switches in the car. Also I polished my exhaust tips on the inside with steel wool and BKF! I'm liking it for now, but I pay repaint them black later.

In progress:

Done

I thought this pic looked cool

Interior LEDs installed. Love them!

Pics of the trip:

This made the trip quite fun

On a side note; picked up a beautiful set of aspecs the other day. Had my dad's Tacoma loaded

But then I gave them to a friend. Low profile tires FTL.

February 2011:
-Tint (35% in the front, 20% in the back)
-Type-S Tails
-OEM Vent Visors
-eBay Roof Spoiler
-A-Spec Kit
-Nokya Yellow Fog bulbs
-Ichiba 20mm Spacers (Rear)
-USA-Spec Ipod Input
-Switchblade Key

April 2011:
-3m Di-Noc Interior
-Aluminum Pedals
-LED lighting throughout

May 2011:
-JNC modded 04-06 Pseudo Type-S headlights
-Type-S Bumper
-Type-S A-Spec
-Type-S Chrome grill+trim
-Type-S Sidemarkers
-07-08 Fogs+Amber Tint
-6000K fog HIDs
-RHO Plate
-Fujita F5 intake
-OEM Lip Spoiler

October 2011:
RV6 V3 J-Pipe

March 2012:
-Back Up Camera
-Navtool
-18x8 Ebony Chrome A-Spec Rims
-Slim PS2 custom installed & Hardwired into glove box
-BrakeMotive Front and Rear Drilled and Slotted Rotors + Pads
-Tailgater Switch Mod
-Viper 5704 Alarm+Remote Start
-Puddle Lights
-LED DRLs
-Painted Engine Covers
-Footwell LEDs (front and rear)
-RL Doorhandle LEDs
-Cupholder LEDs
-Ichiba 20mm/25mm Spacers (front/rear)
-Progress RSB
-Lowered on H&R Sport Springs
-T3 Neo Wedge bulbs installed throughout interior
-Super Polished Exhaust tips

Last edited by quanaman; 04-07-2012 at 11:31 PM.
Old 04-08-2012, 01:20 AM
riding low and steady

Received 80 Likes on 76 Posts
wish a friend would give me a set of aspecs looking good man
Old 04-15-2012, 06:12 PM
TL-S

Small update!!

Odometer rolled over to 125k the other day. That means its time for an oil and filter change+tire rotation.

Originally Posted by dontTL'em'nothing
wish a friend would give me a set of aspecs looking good man
Thanks!! He's actually my cousin and closest friend. We go way back lol. He actually bought a TL just because I had one and we've been working on it steadily for about a month and a half now. He got exactly what I wanted AND paid less than I did when I got mine. 04 SSM 6MT plus Navi!

We've painted the calipers, LED interior, LED doorhandles like on my car, some maintenance work, and yesterday we replaced the sunroof assembly cause his wasn't working properly. It sounds like a PITA...and it is, but it honestly wasn't as bad as I thought. It only took about two hours to strip the headliner/handles/visors and install everything back to original condition. The hardest part was trying to get the headliner and sunroof assembly in/out without damaging anything or scratching up the interior. Here are some pics of that process.

Last edited by quanaman; 04-15-2012 at 06:15 PM.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:07 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts
what did you use to paint your engine covers? how is it holding up with that color? (since it's a light color)
Old 05-12-2012, 12:24 PM
Race Director

Received 3,824 Likes on 2,847 Posts
You had me thinking you had a KBP TL for the longest time haha, the avatar threw me off. Regardless though, mods look great. And +1 on centering the plate
Old 05-12-2012, 10:42 PM
TL-S

I will be updating this thread very soon with pics of my new rims

Originally Posted by con5tant
what did you use to paint your engine covers? how is it holding up with that color? (since it's a light color)
I just used regular spray paint from home depot. I think it was Rust-o-leum or whatever; I didn't use high heat but I did clear them. It's holding up pretty well, except one place where it started peeling up. But that started when I first put them on, so its not from the heat. I might re do them, but oh well.

Originally Posted by Undying Dreams
You had me thinking you had a KBP TL for the longest time haha, the avatar threw me off. Regardless though, mods look great. And +1 on centering the plate
Thanks! I really wish I had a KBP Type-S! That's by far my favorite color. My car is DGP, which I didn't like in the beginning but its been growing on me

As for the plate, Honestly the RHO Plate mount is a love it or hate it thing; I really like it though especially since I like the "Acura" Decal in the middle!

Here are some pics of the new rims:

Last edited by quanaman; 05-12-2012 at 10:45 PM.
Old 05-13-2012, 05:33 PM
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
Looks great man... LOVE the wheels, it will look tons better once you're dropped
Old 06-10-2012, 09:46 PM
TL-S

New update! 6/09/12

Hey all. Just wanted to post some updated pics.

I have a few shots of the new rims here and some shots of my fender getting rolled.

The rims are BBS LM reps, 18x9.5 et48. I had spacers installed, 20/25mm front/ rear and had a LOT of rubbing issues. I switched to 15/20mm spacers and got the fenders rolled and slightly pulled. Now no rubbing

I'm getting bored of them already. I'm debating on selling them and getting something different. I also still have my aspects which will never get old

Also I buffed my tails because they had some surface scratched andthey came out awesome. Used the Meguiars Headlight restoration kit.

Pics!

Before

During

After

Tail light polish

Also ran into some bad luck yesterday. I was parked at a buddy's house and was helping him wash his TL (04 SSM 6MT) and install new LED bulbs in his dash when I watched his neighbor back RIGHT into my car. It was he typical NOOOO!!!! Moment you see on tv.

I walked up and asked for his insurance info. He tried to play it down but i told him I spent a lot of money on my car and a lot if effort to make it perfect and therefore I wanted it to stay that way. I mentioned I wanted to call the cops because I've been screwed over before so I wanted to have them file a report. He sort of begged me not to so I told him to just get his insurance info.

I walked away to take pics and overheard him on the phone talking about "it's not even that bad, this bastard is being stupid" and that's when I decided to stop being a nice guy and I called the cops

Anyways I'm sure I'll get 2-300$ for a bumper repaint and labor so whatever. I'll probably also get my aspec lip painted too since its chipped from rocks. It's just annoying because I've had my brand new type s bumper and lip for about a year and have managed to keep it looking perfect all that time.

Pics

Enhanced to show the dimple.
Old 06-11-2012, 07:14 AM
JnC
Former Sponsor

Received 351 Likes on 227 Posts
Good call on getting in touch with the PD. I have had this happen to me in the past as well where my dad got into a fender bender while being at a stop sign, kid over corrected himself and slid right into the front of my dad's car.

My dad called the cops, who showed up and told them to exchange the insurance info, which they did and went home. Next day I get a call from the insurance company, as the car is registered in my name, stating that the other party is accusing my dad to be at fault and is suggesting that he rolled from his stop and got in the way of the kid taking the turn in his VW.

Long story short, I called the local PD, no accident report was filed but I knew there is an event log, which I got a copy of, forwarded it to the insurance and got the matter sorted out.

So lesson learned here is to get in touch with the authorities as if there is no police report then its your word against the other party's word. Avoid being shafted by the insurance company and cover your ass by getting a police report.
Old 06-11-2012, 03:50 PM
TL-S

Originally Posted by JnC
Good call on getting in touch with the PD. I have had this happen to me in the past as well where my dad got into a fender bender while being at a stop sign, kid over corrected himself and slid right into the front of my dad's car.

My dad called the cops, who showed up and told them to exchange the insurance info, which they did and went home. Next day I get a call from the insurance company, as the car is registered in my name, stating that the other party is accusing my dad to be at fault and is suggesting that he rolled from his stop and got in the way of the kid taking the turn in his VW.

Long story short, I called the local PD, no accident report was filed but I knew there is an event log, which I got a copy of, forwarded it to the insurance and got the matter sorted out.

So lesson learned here is to get in touch with the authorities as if there is no police report then its your word against the other party's word. Avoid being shafted by the insurance company and cover your ass by getting a police report.

Yup! same thing happened to me. A former friend hit me in a parking lot and totaled my old 95 Acura Legend GS. He promised to cover it all via insurance. Turns out he lied to his insurance company and told them it wasnt his fault. His insurance company denied my claim because I hadn't called the police and didn't have any impartial witnesses.

I had to fix the car myself. My insurance wasn't willing to help either because I only had liability coverage.

I learned my lesson
Old 06-11-2012, 09:05 PM
Team Owner

Quana, nice wheels. Sorry to hear about your friend's idiot neighbor.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:18 AM
TL-S

Well.

The insurance adjuster just left. He wrote me a check for close to $600 that will be put towards other mods Going to pickup the rental car today and probably upgrade to a nice SUV and will take the family to the beach in it over the weekend. No unnecessary highway miles for the TL!

In other news, I got my USR Switchback sidemarkers yesterday and had them installed. Here's a couple quick pics I snapped. Overall I'm happy with the quality and the colors. Very easy mod!

Also, I've been thinking about painting my BBS reps gunmetal in the mesh. That would be chrome/polished lip with gunmetal mesh and red centercaps. What do you guys think?

Old 06-14-2012, 01:21 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,996 Likes on 14,504 Posts
Your car friggin rocks, man.
Old 06-14-2012, 01:47 PM
Safety Car

Received 134 Likes on 130 Posts
Lookin HOT Love the wheels

She looks like a UFO in the dark
Old 06-14-2012, 04:45 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Clean dgp quana
Old 06-14-2012, 06:38 PM
-Brandon

Received 221 Likes on 172 Posts
Way to once again come out on top with your insurance check. It seems like it always works in your favors. That $600 could go a long way beyond the repair!
Old 06-14-2012, 11:16 PM
TL-S

Thanks for the kind words guys!

It really worked out well. I dropped the car off at the body shop to get buffed and waxed; I'm not even going to bother with that little ding I think I'll use the money for some more interesting mods in the future.

Picked up my rental car for the weekend... 2012 Hyundai Genesis. Man this thing is beautiful AND smooth. I just drove it 260 miles to the Kill Devil Hills, NC, which is a small town in the Outer Banks.

This thing is Smooth, powerful, and only has 500 miles on it! It still has the new car smell. I'm happy!

Old 06-15-2012, 07:39 AM
**The Catfish**

Received 549 Likes on 440 Posts
^you think thats smooth, you should ride in the 4.6 liter v8. That unless im missing the badging, that looks like the 6 cylinder. my dads got the v8 and at 365 horse power, it will get up and go without really ever letting you know haha
Old 06-15-2012, 02:21 PM
TL-S

I thought it was a V8 cause it had plenty of smooth power. Then I checked under the hood and couldn't figure it out either haha. I had to take off engine covers ANC literally count spark plugs to find out it was a v6. Very nice! Hyundai stepped their game up.
Old 06-20-2012, 03:36 PM
TL-S

Well, I turned in the rental car yesterday and picked my car up from the shop. Very happy with the results. I had the car buffed and waxed, but it rained the next day so it wasn't looking as good as it should.

I will post updated pics very soon. I have some goodies coming in the mail and am planning on swapping my interior garnishes to the OEM "carbon" trim very soon.

Old 06-20-2012, 09:58 PM
Team Owner

^^^ Glad it turned out to your liking.
Old 06-28-2012, 06:35 PM
TL-S

Update!

Got some realllly nice goodies in the mail today. Its funny how the UPS guy always delivers my parts and then asks when I'll be ready to sell the TL

Last edited by quanaman; 06-28-2012 at 06:39 PM.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:53 PM
2014 Jeep SRT

Received 1,615 Likes on 1,030 Posts
New parts FTW!!
Old 06-28-2012, 08:57 PM
Team Owner

UR Pulley-I want!
Old 06-30-2012, 01:00 PM
TL-S

Update.

I had the pulley installed yesterday. I am pretty happy with it, the car overall feels lighter and it just feels like it reaches 2-3k RPMs a lot faster than before. Fun stuff!

Last night we got hit by a freak storm. It came very fast and hit everyone pretty hard. I only say "Freak" because i checked the weather several times yesterday before washing my car and it wasn't supposed to even rain. It was something like 10% chance.

Anyways, we lost power and so did everyone else around my neighborhood. I heard a couple big booms and bangs and the kids were pretty afraid.

I used my remote start on my car to get the headlights on so I could see outside and I realized a pretty huge tree fell on my neighbors house. We checked on them to make sure everything was OK and they went to another neighbor's for the night.

Here are some pics of the aftermath. My neighbors on both sides got hit pretty bad by trees. One came over their property line and hit the room attached to my carports and caused some roof damage. They're on vacation so we'll have to pan it out when they get back.

Ironically my car was sitting in the middle of our neighborhood coldesac and doesn't have a scratch!

Neighbor's house

Other neighbor's house:

This one fell across their yard and into my property

And it hit the room attached to my carport that we use for tools, storage, etc. Its also attached to my patio in the back:

Old 07-08-2012, 04:31 PM
TL-S

Talking UPDATE! WORK Equipped!

So I picked these wheels up the other day locally. I'm really happy with the design and look of the rim, but unfortunately they will need to be fully refinished due to curbage and pitting on the lips. I am currently in the process of searching for a reputable wheel shop that I will be able to trust to do the work.

Essentially I will have the black accents removed and have them fully brushed aluminum, the way member ballinfizzle89 did in THIS (link) thread. His specs are much more aggressive than mine, but beggars can't be choosers and I got a great deal on these rims

I threw them on last night because I was bored and I'm very impatient; I wanted to see what they'd look like on the car. Overall I'm happy with the fitment and style of course, but they rub pretty bad currently even with my rear fenders rolled. I will have to remove my spacers which I figured I would have to do anyway (20mm rear 15mm front). These are however the first set of 19" rims I've had on the car since I've had the H&R Sport springs installed. I'm pretty impressed; it kind of has me rethinking my plans to purchase the Tein Advance Coilovers. I most likely will still buy them though because I want MOAR LOW

Specs:
WORK Schwert SC1
19x8.5
et38 front, 24 rear
235/35/19 Toyo tires

On to the pics. You kind of cant tell how curbed they are from the pics (thankfully) but like I said I will be getting them refinished.

So any suggestions guys?

Last edited by quanaman; 07-08-2012 at 04:37 PM.
Old 07-08-2012, 04:39 PM
Team Owner

Very nice!
Old 07-08-2012, 05:18 PM
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Damn the rims look really good for your setup.

Get 07+ side mirrors? lol

Last edited by Slayer-33; 07-08-2012 at 05:20 PM.
Old 07-10-2012, 03:03 PM
TL-S

Originally Posted by Slayer-33
Damn the rims look really good for your setup.

Get 07+ side mirrors? lol
I wish! If my car was WDP or NBP I would be able to do it; since they come painted it would only cost the price of mirrors. But being DGP, the 07-08 don't come in that color and I would have to pay for paint

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
Very nice!
Thanks! And thanks for updating the thread

Small update. Got some parts in the mail today; can't wait to put these on!!!

Old 07-10-2012, 03:15 PM
**The Catfish**

Received 549 Likes on 440 Posts
^ cant tell waht those are...
Old 07-10-2012, 03:26 PM
TL-S

Originally Posted by Sick TLS
^ cant tell waht those are...
RDX brake caliper covers!

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-photograph-gallery-96/rdx-brake-covers-installed-861739/
Old 07-10-2012, 03:26 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 125 Likes on 114 Posts
Nice progress so far! Should've kept those A-Specs.. but the Works are nice as well!
Old 07-10-2012, 07:18 PM

^^^ha ha...honestly, the Aspecs do look great on our cars, but it's almost to a point where they are looking like the oem base wheel to me...EVERYONE has the aspecs. That said, I'll never sell mine cause I DO Love them too.

Ok, now: Holy fk...that tree damage is intense, man...glad everyone is ok! We have hurricanes here but it's like that damage but spread out over MILES...that's freaky. 10% chance of rain and then BAM.

I liked the LS reps (did i get that right?) too...but the WORKS, you kidding, once you get that thing lowered on the Teins and fenders rolled/trimmed, you're going to be king. That stuff looks amazing. Nicely done, buddy.

J.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:10 PM
Team Owner

I like the RDX covers (because I have some Brembo covers on my rear calipers). I just wish they weren't so boxy.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:21 PM
Team SSM

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
Very nice!!!
Old 07-10-2012, 10:32 PM
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
You can never go wrong with sc1
Old 07-11-2012, 02:15 AM
TL-S

Originally Posted by ArthurL
Nice progress so far! Should've kept those A-Specs.. but the Works are nice as well!
Originally Posted by rockstar143
^^^ha ha...honestly, the Aspecs do look great on our cars, but it's almost to a point where they are looking like the oem base wheel to me...EVERYONE has the aspecs. That said, I'll never sell mine cause I DO Love them too.

Ok, now: Holy fk...that tree damage is intense, man...glad everyone is ok! We have hurricanes here but it's like that damage but spread out over MILES...that's freaky. 10% chance of rain and then BAM.

I liked the LS reps (did i get that right?) too...but the WORKS, you kidding, once you get that thing lowered on the Teins and fenders rolled/trimmed, you're going to be king. That stuff looks amazing. Nicely done, buddy.

J.
You're so right about the A-Specs! Everyone and their mother's TL has them these days. But I do like them a lot more than the stock 5 spokes... Which I also have. I still have the A-specs, which also have fresh tires, and the BBS LM Reps, which again have great tires along with the Works. Four sets of rims is WAY too much to have lol; but look at me complaining about having 4 sets of nice rims with brand new tires. Definitely gotta make some decisions about what to sell and where to put the money I really can't wait to get the Tein's on, and SICK TLS offered to help me with the install so there's nothing stopping me from pulling the trigger now!!!

The winds that day were pretty ridiculous; we finally got some guys to come in and get rid of the tree and realize now that the damage is more than expected. But then again thats what insurance is for! I'm just glad a tree didn't fall on my car and kill my hopes, dreams and aspirations for the future

Honestly though our house was very lucky. Both neighbors had monster trees literally on top of their main house (ours was an adjacent room that I use for my tools and supplies) and had to leave the house for days. We luckily only lost power for about 10 hours whereas many people in the area didn't have power for as long as a week. I'd die!

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
I like the RDX covers (because I have some Brembo covers on my rear calipers). I just wish they weren't so boxy.
Thanks! Well if I were you and I had beautiful red Brembo's up front I'd probably feel the same way though lol. But honestly I think this will be a lot better than what I have going on now!

Originally Posted by turtlecivic
You can never go wrong with sc1
Thanks! The Schwerts are amazing but unfortunately will need to be overhauled and fully refinished. Hopefully I can have them looking something like what ballinfizzle89 did:

Last edited by quanaman; 07-11-2012 at 02:18 AM.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:14 AM
Holla At Ya Boy

Received 98 Likes on 80 Posts
Really nice looking wheels. They look great on your car. This makes me re-think my choice not to purchase them when i had the chance. You know what they say, "You Snooze You Looze". LOL...
Old 07-11-2012, 10:12 AM

You'll get it, man...you're headed in the absolute right direction.

Quick Reply: Quanaman's NBP Type-S Progress Thread: Updated 12/24/14