My 3G '05 TL 5AT in ABP - Intro and Build Plan

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 12:11 AM
Confusing Name Guy

Received 299 Likes on 249 Posts
Haha I'm around, just lurkin

Still need to do my brakes, have everything except the rotors which I need to pick up stateside (they're still in NY )

Probably going to take it easy mod-wise after that and save for air and wheels for spring
Old 08-27-2015, 06:59 AM
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by N1h1l1ty
Haha I'm around, just lurkin

Still need to do my brakes, have everything except the rotors which I need to pick up stateside (they're still in NY )

Probably going to take it easy mod-wise after that and save for air and wheels for spring
Do you know which air setup you're going with? If you need some help let me know.
Old 08-27-2015, 06:59 PM
Confusing Name Guy

Originally Posted by turtlecivic
Do you know which air setup you're going with? If you need some help let me know.
Will do man, I'm sure to shoot you some PMs down the line. I'm likely going with AF struts, Accuair management, just want a Zenith comp instead of the regular Viair offerings.

My other option (and one I'm definitely seriously considering from both cost and utility perspective) is an air-cup setup - I'm not huge into the fully aired down look and I would prefer to stay static but going as low / hellaflush as you were with BCs for example would be difficult because I have a number of speed bumps / potentially crappy clearance deterrents on my daily commute to work.

What I'm thinking is a 1 inch air-cup setup all around on BCs like the one offered by Flushstance would probably solve that problem, and still allow me to enjoy the car without going full air. I also have a good idea of the spring rates I'll want, likely 16 fr, 14 rear - I don't think I'll need to go stiffer given I'm not planning anything extreme wheel-spec wise. 19x10 +22 is probably the maximum I'm looking at in the rear.
Old 08-27-2015, 09:15 PM
Racer

Will do man, I'm sure to shoot you some PMs down the line. I'm likely going with AF struts, Accuair management, just want a Zenith comp instead of the regular Viair offerings.

My other option (and one I'm definitely seriously considering from both cost and utility perspective) is an air-cup setup - I'm not huge into the fully aired down look and I would prefer to stay static but going as low / hellaflush as you were with BCs for example would be difficult because I have a number of speed bumps / potentially crappy clearance deterrents on my daily commute to work.

What I'm thinking is a 1 inch air-cup setup all around on BCs like the one offered by Flushstance would probably solve that problem, and still allow me to enjoy the car without going full air. I also have a good idea of the spring rates I'll want, likely 16 fr, 14 rear - I don't think I'll need to go stiffer given I'm not planning anything extreme wheel-spec wise. 19x10 +22 is probably the maximum I'm looking at in the rear.
There is a reason why people don't go on BC with aircup/UAS bags because of the front camber arm. You will need sleeve bags to get around it.
Old 08-27-2015, 10:11 PM
Confusing Name Guy

There is a reason why people don't go on BC with aircup/UAS bags because of the front camber arm. You will need sleeve bags to get around it.
Ah shit

Well then AF struts it is, my wallet is going to be crying
Old 08-28-2015, 07:10 AM
Racer

Ah shit

Well then AF struts it is, my wallet is going to be crying
LOL what would make you cry even more is getting Airrex struts . A lot new management are coming up v3 and airforce are having a remote to adjust the height.
Old 08-28-2015, 09:47 AM
Confusing Name Guy

LOL what would make you cry even more is getting Airrex struts . A lot new management are coming up v3 and airforce are having a remote to adjust the height.
I know the Airrex struts are a 1000$ more than the AF struts, in fact I've seen the AF struts advertised as low as 1800, whereas the Airrex ones are at 3100$ everywhere I look. I might stay static and see if it will still be drive-able when "hellaflush", but somehow I get the feeling that won't work out that well

Good indication of what I want I guess

I'm kind of set on either trying to find a set of 19 inch equips and rebuilding them or maybe going with Hardiritt Ordens. Couple of other wheels I like but something about the clean 5 spoke designs on the TL just calls to me

Last edited by N1h1l1ty; 08-28-2015 at 09:51 AM.
Old 08-28-2015, 12:36 PM
Racer

I know the Airrex struts are a 1000$ more than the AF struts, in fact I've seen the AF struts advertised as low as 1800, whereas the Airrex ones are at 3100$ everywhere I look. I might stay static and see if it will still be drive-able when "hellaflush", but somehow I get the feeling that won't work out that well

Good indication of what I want I guess

I'm kind of set on either trying to find a set of 19 inch equips and rebuilding them or maybe going with Hardiritt Ordens. Couple of other wheels I like but something about the clean 5 spoke designs on the TL just calls to me
I drove my car like that for 1.5 year only time I had trouble were big dips. Speed bumps I would detour the whole mall/plaza. You can't go wrong with either ordens or equips but even with crappy condition they're still worth 1500 minimum.
Old 08-28-2015, 06:42 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
That's obviously a great stance, but it comes with it's own set of challenges.
Old 08-28-2015, 11:54 PM
Confusing Name Guy

Weird question but could you see Hardiritt Beils suiting a TL?

Picture for context:

Especially if the windows / lip was black, or possibly bronze lip black face. I usually don't like anything with that style of face (read: old Benz-esque) but I think these are actually really nice, much more so than the Hardiritt Ritters, which I'm not a fan of.
Old 08-29-2015, 10:20 AM
Jeff

Received 815 Likes on 726 Posts
those remind me of 2pac "picture me rollin in a 500 benz" LOL
Old 08-29-2015, 11:39 AM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
With the right stance yes, any other way would just look out of place
Old 08-29-2015, 11:40 AM
Confusing Name Guy

Well when you look for pictures of the Beil its mostly LS460s, Benz S500s etc, although they are equally at home on an Infiniti G or Lexus GS both of which are TL equivalents in my mind class of vehicle-wise.

I really like them, but I would likely redo them in black, maybe gloss black lip, matte black face and red Hardiritt center caps if I could find a set (they're limited edition). Also deep ass lips, likely 19x10 +20ish front, 19x11 +8ish rear.
Old 08-29-2015, 11:41 AM
Confusing Name Guy

Originally Posted by Greenman604
With the right stance yes, any other way would just look out of place
Oh I would be going full cambergang in the rear if I went with these, its definitely a wheel you need to sit flush and tilted
Old 08-29-2015, 11:51 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
I think sportier wheels suit the TL better than luxo-barge wheels. But to each their own, I suppose.
Old 08-29-2015, 02:02 PM
Jeff

Originally Posted by TacoBello
I think sportier wheels suit the TL better than luxo-barge wheels. But to each their own, I suppose.
I just will never understand why ppl want to go all crazy and tilt the rear tires like that. its a luxury/sport sedan and it totally limits/defeats the purpose of the cars function in general. My question is why do you want to do it N1?
Old 08-29-2015, 02:46 PM
Confusing Name Guy

Originally Posted by Oh Sickest TL
I just will never understand why ppl want to go all crazy and tilt the rear tires like that. its a luxury/sport sedan and it totally limits/defeats the purpose of the cars function in general. My question is why do you want to do it N1?
Depends on how extreme you want to get with the camber. -3 to -4 degrees isn't really extreme, and that's probably what I'd be aiming for. I actually had -3.5 when I lowered the car in the rear and it drove fine (read: I take highway off-ramps at significantly higher than legal speeds )

As for why - I love the aesthetic, simple enough. You can call it dumb or whatever (and judging by the recent thread about Elvis Skender's LS400, plenty of people on here will) but I really enjoy stanced cars. Now there's obvious extremes like the oni-kyan cars that you'll often see brought up by people who hate on the whole thing but generally most stanced cars on air are very drive-able. Hell, most of the ones rolling static are as well

I should add that I made this shift in direction with the TL mostly because I lost interest in making it fast, something I'm not really going to be able to do without serious investment that I would rather go towards funding a 2-stepping, angry, loud turbo Miata as a weekend car

The TL might still see a supercharger at some point in the next year if one pops up for the right price since I know I can install it myself and have a shop that's local to me that can hook me up with an AEM FIC, wire it and tune it (and have quite a LOT of experience with another local TL)
Old 08-29-2015, 02:50 PM
Confusing Name Guy

Originally Posted by TacoBello
I do agree in that I think the TL in stock or mildly lowered form would look more than a little odd with just about any Hardiritt, Kranze or "luxury" wheel. I'm just thinking of whether they would look good when its dumped
Old 08-29-2015, 03:08 PM
Jeff

fair enough. I'm not hating by any means I was just more a less curious as to why YOU wanted to go that route
Old 08-29-2015, 03:28 PM
Confusing Name Guy

fair enough. I'm not hating by any means I was just more a less curious as to why YOU wanted to go that route
Oh I know man, I don't take offense to that stuff anyway

Yeah she'll still be getting some performance mods down the line, I've just been very busy with work and have had some additional bills to pay so she's been neglected in the mod department this month (although I guess the headlights and tails were technically in August )

I also don't like to do mods one by one - Its a lot more fun to me when I can throw on a lot of stuff all in one go, so the next stage is an AEM V2, xlr8 crank pulley, PCDs, 3.7 mani and TB and PnP goodness. Might also do RL or Bisi cams while I'm at it.

Oh also CR2Ps are on the menu as well

That and my everlasting love affair with Forgestar F14s in super deep concave has yet to abate so its a big tossup between a bunch of different wheels. If I'm satisfied with just BC coils and stay static I might get two sets of wheels to keep me happy

Last edited by N1h1l1ty; 08-29-2015 at 03:37 PM.
Old 08-29-2015, 03:35 PM
Jeff

The tails look good too eh!!

I'm actually grabbing the 3.7 mani and 3.7 bored out TB on monday. Brand new too. Gonna see about getting it all powder coated as I already have new valves covers as well but might just say screw the powder coat if its going to be a lot of money. that magnesium is light as a feather!!

And yea those forgestar f14s are

Last edited by Oh Sickest TL; 08-29-2015 at 03:40 PM.
Old 08-29-2015, 04:55 PM
Racer

Weird question but could you see Hardiritt Beils suiting a TL?

Picture for context:

Especially if the windows / lip was black, or possibly bronze lip black face. I usually don't like anything with that style of face (read: old Benz-esque) but I think these are actually really nice, much more so than the Hardiritt Ritters, which I'm not a fan of.
I think its a hit or miss but it depends what aesthetics you got done to the car to make it flow with the wheels. IMO its a miss but you can prove me wrong. I thought the Weds Bazreia wouldn't flow until someone did it and proved me wrong
Old 07-30-2016, 03:09 PM
Confusing Name Guy

I guess I should probably do an update since its been like ... half a year or more.

Here are some photos I took with my G4 while picking up some goodies:

Goodies being interior LEDs (which I sadly don't have any photos of) - I swapped every single LED in the interior to a cool "aqua" blue to match the color I liked most on my Pioneer DEH80PRS. Speaking of, I did a full audio revamp back during the winter - treated the front doors, rear deck and rear seat area, got a Massive Audio 5 channel amp, DEH80PRS head unit so that I could run an active front stage with JL Audio ZR100-CT tweeters and NVX XSP65 components (basically SB Acoustics), with a JL 12W3V3 in the trunk. Running to the DEH80PRS is an iPod classic 5.5 gen (that I bought used for a steal) so that I can take advantage of the DEH80's excellent DAC section and convenient ipod integration. Fun fact - This is the first apple product I've owned in 8 years, and I bought it used.

Anyway, after all these shenanigans (a blown set of Focal tweets and components I got screwed on by ebay later) I was pretty much out of cash, and so that's pretty much where the car sat, minus a new upper ball joint for one of my Skunk2 arms and a set of Mutek SR48s in Burning Blue (which look fantastic).

Unfortunately my luck has seemingly been pretty crappy. I got side-swiped on the highway, leaving a good bit of paint damage, some shallow, some somewhat deep on my front driver's side fender and door, which I've yet to address, and this week while doing an oil change and FINALLY doing the 3rd and 4th pressure switches and my first tranny flush (3x3 with Redline D4 and Type F, but more on this later) I ran into... this:

Nothing quite like realizing I've been driving with no front sway bar links since (probably) my last alignment.

Anyway, quickly ordered some Moog front endlinks since my Moog ones for the rear have been doing great (the least rusted suspension component lol) and installed those over my two days off, then went out to take some quick photos last night.

Here is how she sits right now:

And here is a photo of that pesky clouding on the CSL carbon spoiler I mentioned - Its not easy to see, due to the fact it sits at an angle where it will never see sun, but its pretty apparent after a wash:

All of that being said, the 3rd and 4th pressure switch change and transmission 3x3 with Redline fluid (2 with D4 one with Type F) REALLY made a difference. I was texting GP16 laughing maniacally at how fast the car shifted compared to before on my very first break in drive with the new switches and fluid, and it's definitely going to be routine maintenance now. As it sits, I just hit 120 000 km (just shy of 75 000 miles) on the car.

My plans are ... well. Some EXTREMELY wide wheels, BC Coils, Air Cups, Front APR carbon splitter, rear diffuser off a WRX. Hopefully that will be done by October, and I'm really looking forward to going a lot lower, a lot wider, and when I install my PCDs, a lot louder.

Last edited by N1h1l1ty; 07-30-2016 at 03:14 PM.
The following users liked this post:
rossv1 (08-06-2016)
Old 07-30-2016, 04:18 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 879 Likes on 672 Posts
Wow that looks amazing! I love the color as well and all the ground effects type stuff like the side skirts and front spoiler.

Btw are you in Canada as well?

Last edited by Steven Bell; 07-31-2016 at 07:07 PM. Reason: No need to re-quote the previous post, especially if you're the next person posting.
Old 07-30-2016, 06:35 PM
Jeff

hes in Ontario, Toronto I believe, Im in New Brunswick, what about you?

Hey Victor

Car looks good man, good height, spoiler looks sick... But I can't see where you got scuffed at though? You need some tint buddy.

Your plans sound too crazy for me lol
Old 07-30-2016, 08:25 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,158 Likes on 909 Posts
looks great man and looking forward to what you have in store for it! i agree with Jeff some tint would really set it off. CF deck lid spoiler looks great with your car color.

one thing though, what's up with those orange center caps? to me it destroys the whole theme/look and seems out of place but i'm sure you have a good reason for it (sports or something)?
Old 07-31-2016, 03:05 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 879 Likes on 672 Posts

Hey Victor

Car looks good man, good height, spoiler looks sick... But I can't see where you got scuffed at though? You need some tint buddy.

So you are east coasters! I'm from edmonton AB! I was hoping for more local people, can't ever make too many car buddies!

I do want to visit new brunswick someday though, and toronto as well.
Old 07-31-2016, 08:18 AM
Confusing Name Guy

Hey Victor

I strategically avoided taking photos of the car from the driver's side

You're not the first person to tell me I need tint - I've been considering it a lot more lately, but stuff has just kind of ... always gotten in the way.

Originally Posted by sockr1
looks great man and looking forward to what you have in store for it! i agree with Jeff some tint would really set it off. CF deck lid spoiler looks great with your car color.

one thing though, what's up with those orange center caps? to me it destroys the whole theme/look and seems out of place but i'm sure you have a good reason for it (sports or something)?
Honestly, you're not the first person to tell me the caps look weird - They're actually color matched to my headlight projector rings / amber turn signal lens, but I'll probably dip them silver to match the wheels when I get the chance. I've been thinking that the wheel area in general is a little busy color-wise lately myself, so hopefully that will make the difference.

Also, my current favorite for Operation: Low and Wide are the Rota MXR-Rs in 18x11 +20 squared. Would probably run a 225 or 235 profile Continental tire on them as Contis tend to run quite large and people have thrown 225s on 11s with no issues (well, relatively no issues given the insanity of that stretch).

I was considering building myself a set of Garson Ryugis or Work VS-XXs, but these MXR-Rs REALLY caught my eye, and I very rarely see Meister M1R 2p pop up for sale used (the only way I could justify buying a set of 3500$ wheels lol). Plus they clear big brakes, and I have something in the works for the rear in that department.
Old 07-31-2016, 12:31 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,334 Likes on 1,962 Posts
What wheels do you have on there now?
Old 07-31-2016, 02:19 PM
Confusing Name Guy

Originally Posted by Flipster23
ye ole XXR 530s in 18x8.75 +20, 225/40/18 Continental ExtremeContact DW rubber
Old 07-31-2016, 07:07 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Love the Carbon Fiber rear spoiler!
Old 07-31-2016, 07:45 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Your car looks great OP, but then again I'm biased...
Old 08-05-2016, 04:38 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Flipster23
I would like to know this also?? Sexxy
Old 08-05-2016, 06:05 PM
Confusing Name Guy

Originally Posted by p3tey2
I would like to know this also?? Sexxy
Scroll up, was answered above. To be fair, they may be less recognizable because I did have them powdercoated (poorly I might add).