JayVee's 3G TL

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 12:57 PM
21 Acura RDX Aspec

Received 290 Likes on 267 Posts
Yes u guys are correct... Normally air tools are bad. But I am careful with it and don't torque em down to the sound of a automatic machine gun air gun. As soon as they are tight I back out and hit it with a torque wrench by hand/muscle. I though that was without being said on being careful as I am with things. No twisting studs here buddy! I have had that happen to my Ol' EG Civic.

...and as for clustering jobs. U already know and seen how I cluster jobs together but this was one I did not have available to sit for 6 hrs and tinker with the TL anytime soon since the baby shower is this weekend and I needed to get the headlights back to JnC for my deposit refund. Baby on his way, I can not afford to just sit around on loaned money So the headlights went on and I still have to wait for the TLS grilles from MONDO. Then, I will get to work.

Last edited by JayVee; 03-12-2012 at 01:01 PM.
Old 03-12-2012, 01:45 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,982 Likes on 14,493 Posts
For sure...
after the debacle I had with the works' originally, trying to use closed ended on a stud that's too long. I'm going in by hand from now on.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:35 PM
21 Acura RDX Aspec

Simple update today. My "CORRECT" Nokya "Brilliant YELLOW" DRL HB4 bulbs came in. Through em on and adj the headlights since they were off after being modded by JnC.

.................................... and YES!!! I have my old RSB holding up my hood... I AM WAITING FOR MY NEW DAMPERS FROM ACK05TL. Before someone says anything. And GAWD knows someone was, and still might say something. Thats is just how AZ is...LOL!

Left (Pass. side): NOKYA "YELLOW" Bulbs w/ OSRAM HID Bulbs
Right (Driver side): Both OEM bulbs

Both installed at dark.

Last edited by JayVee; 03-12-2012 at 07:38 PM.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:45 PM
Race Director

Received 2,316 Likes on 1,690 Posts
Looks great!

You gonna install your switchbacks?
Old 03-12-2012, 07:49 PM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
hahaha nice !!!

and GTFO you ricer with a RSB holding your hood
Old 03-12-2012, 07:53 PM
21 Acura RDX Aspec

Originally Posted by guitarplayer16
Looks great!

You gonna install your switchbacks?
Yes! as soon as MONDO gets back in from outta town. He has the TLS grilles and a resistor for me.

Originally Posted by swoosh
hahaha nice !!!

and GTFO you ricer with a RSB holding your hood
...Figures. If I would have put on it. I would have bet you or RS143 would bust my chops...LMAO!
Old 03-12-2012, 08:19 PM
Race Director

Gotcha!

I recognize that lame colour output from the halogens with clear diffusers.

You gonna install the center grill or just gonna do the lower grills Type-S style?
Old 03-12-2012, 08:25 PM
21 Acura RDX Aspec

Originally Posted by guitarplayer16
Gotcha!

I recognize that lame colour output from the halogens with clear diffusers.

You gonna install the center grill or just gonna do the lower grills Type-S style?
Yeah, this dam site don't let a brotha get away with any corner cut or short comings as a temp fix...Geeeez! LOLZ!

TLS style baby! Off your perfectly laid out step by step write up dawg! That is exactly why I subscribed to it for my nect projekt.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:07 PM

I do love it...
I love my nokya's...I wish it was easier to find a quality led bulb that could run at 75% intensity...my modules just don't run properly unless it's with a filament bulb. I LOVE the nokya yellows in there though.

J.
PS, the headlight adjstment is from removing and reinstalling the lights, nothing JNC did would throw that off.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:15 PM
21 Acura RDX Aspec

Originally Posted by rockstar143
J.
PS, the headlight adjstment is from removing and reinstalling the lights, nothing JNC did would throw that off.
I know, that is what I meant. They are off from prior owner or JnC disassembling...or whatever. Nevertheless, they needed adj since I had ppl flashing at me with one of em pointing directly at on coming drivers. Either way, done and I also LOVE EM!
Old 03-12-2012, 09:22 PM

I do love it...
I love my nokya's...I wish it was easier to find a quality led bulb that could run at 75% intensity...my modules just don't run properly unless it's with a filament bulb. I LOVE the nokya yellows in there though.

J.
^^^ I DISAGREE AND AGREE !!!

headlight adjustment changes when you change the ZKW lens....but there is nothing JNC can do to fix it at his end....

follow the headlight aiming process:
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/re-aiming-headlights-3g-garage-g-007-a-558380/
Old 03-12-2012, 09:49 PM

well, what I was saying is that even if you don't mod the lights...if you just unbolt from car, and then bolt back on...you will be slightly off and will need to make the minor adjustments to aim just right again. So, once again...we agree and we agree! Maybe I'm the one that doesn't convey my thoughts well...
Old 03-12-2012, 11:37 PM

^^^ i doubt dude....i have taken my headlight out a dozen times and never had to aim em...the only time i have had to aim is when i popped the headlight open and messed with the projector....
Old 03-13-2012, 02:28 AM
21 Acura RDX Aspec

^^^ i doubt dude....i have taken my headlight out a dozen times and never had to aim em...the only time i have had to aim is when i popped the headlight open and messed with the projector....
Hmmmm... that's weird because usually you did need to adj to some small degree, even if u may not notice sometimes. But yeah, it wasn't much. just a few turns on each side and they were leveled. They look GREAT! I am so pleased with the headlight mod and lighting!
Old 03-13-2012, 06:26 AM

^^^agreed.
Anil, you may have gotten lucky. If you think about it, they wouldn't put such an easy and accessible thing for you to be able to adjust if the ONLY time you'd need to is when you bake, open the headlights and then mess up the projectors. I don't think we were ever intended by Acura to bake our headlights!
Old 03-13-2012, 06:35 AM
21 Acura RDX Aspec

^^^agreed.
Anil, you may have gotten lucky. If you think about it, they wouldn't put such an easy and accessible thing for you to be able to adjust if the ONLY time you'd need to is when you bake, open the headlights and then mess up the projectors. I don't think we were ever intended by Acura to bake our headlights!
since u put it like that... LMAO!
Old 03-13-2012, 10:26 AM

^^^ lol u kidding me J....they knew us fuckers....they knew we would change a ton of shit on the car....dont they have experience with the Civic Hatch or the Teg ???

/sarcasm

on a serious note, i think i might have gotten lucky that i never had to adjust them but maybe coz am very careful take stuff out and even more careful putting it back in !!!....
Old 03-13-2012, 11:01 AM

you seem like you'd be careful "puttin stuff in"...
reminds me of this scene in training day!
Old 03-13-2012, 11:15 AM

^^^

am very careful putting stuff in.....used to be a time i didnt care a bit.....but when you get married things change
Old 03-17-2012, 11:25 AM
21 Acura RDX Aspec

TLS bumper grilles and resistor for my LED SWITCHBACK install...ALL coming soon!

Mondo came thru for a fellow AZ brotha...THANKS MONDO!

In addition... Look what I rec'd in the mail So u guys can stop bussin' my balls on how I hold my hood up...LOL!

Now I just need to get the hood ball ends I left in the CF hood when I sold it Guess I will be getting them from the ACURA DEALER.

The following users liked this post:
Mondo375 (03-17-2012)
Old 03-17-2012, 11:54 AM
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 70 Posts
Anytime bro! Now question is will it be done by next week lol. Looking forward to seeing the outcome!
Old 03-17-2012, 12:11 PM

HAUL ASS modding !!!

coming along great dude....
Old 03-17-2012, 01:25 PM
21 Acura RDX Aspec

Originally Posted by Mondo375
Anytime bro! Now question is will it be done by next week lol. Looking forward to seeing the outcome!
YES...That seems to be the question at hand... and is PROJEK GIT R DONE at this point before the MARCH 25th AZ MEETING here in Tampa... CRUNCH TIME

HAUL ASS modding !!!

coming along great dude....
Thanks Dude
Old 03-23-2012, 06:26 AM
21 Acura RDX Aspec

After approx a year debating and fighting with myself to buy or not to buy a CAI... I broke down and purchased my AEM CAI 2days ago. Just a update... waiting for shipping.

And HOPEFULLY installing the ACCORD fog w/ TLS grilles before Sunday TAMPA Central Fl. AZ Meet. If not, I will still be there
Old 03-23-2012, 06:43 AM

A V2 or full on CAI!?!?
I still can't justify the cost in comparison to gain and adding the hydrolock possibility...

BUT, it is gorgeous and will sound very nice!
Congrats, man!
Old 03-23-2012, 07:11 AM
21 Acura RDX Aspec

A V2 or full on CAI!?!?
I still can't justify the cost in comparison to gain and adding the hydrolock possibility...

Congrats, man!
I decided not to opt for the v2 since the v2 seems to be the model # directly designed and tested for the ACCORD and NOT the TL. So therefore, will not cover and complications or issues with the kit on the TL. So yes, I did get the regular full AEM CAI kit. I went ahead a splurged on it in hopes one day possibly upgrading my exhaust. Ex RV6 HFPC or J-Pipe of sort.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by JayVee
After approx a year debating and fighting with myself to buy or not to buy a CAI... I broke down and purchased my AEM CAI 2days ago. Just a update... waiting for shipping.

And HOPEFULLY installing the ACCORD fog w/ TLS grilles before Sunday TAMPA Central Fl. AZ Meet. If not, I will still be there

A V2 or full on CAI!?!?

Congrats, man!

if you would have said you cant justify spending 250 odd bucks on "donno how many horses" i would have left you alone LOL....

hydrolock you mention DOES NOT happen coz of CAI....it happens coz of STUPIDITY !!!.....if you see a puddle of water:
1> do not drive thro it....
2> if you didnt know how deep it is and decided to drive thro it, do not gas the car like a bish in there !!!

what is hydrolock ?? when intake is sitting in water and you stomp on the gas, it sucks the water thro the intake, into the manifold, to the runners and enters the cylinder.....since water cannot compress as well as GAS and AIR mixture can, you end up with a bent rod.....

i live in the midwest where you get some torrential rains and i have had a CAI for over 4 years without a problem....hell am running a bigger filter (longer) and am slammed.....so its not the CAI.....its the common sense....

and Jer, the CAI adds a damn nice growl to the engine sound !!!

I decided not to opt for the v2 since the v2 seems to be the model # directly designed and tested for the ACCORD and NOT the TL. So therefore, will not cover and complications or issues with the kit on the TL. So yes, I did get the regular full AEM CAI kit. I went ahead a splurged on it in hopes one day possibly upgrading my exhaust. Ex RV6 HFPC or J-Pipe of sort.
well the Accord and TL have many things in common....PCD's, Jpipes, and even exhaust are pretty similar....then the manifold/runners/heads/ and we can go on.....

the V2 fits the TL without any issues....but am glad you didnt spend extra $$$ on the V2 as it just adds to the sound and not HP gains.....

demand and supply is a weird funda.....i remember i got the CAI + P2R TB + Gaskets shipped to me back in 2008 for 215 shipped and now just the CAI sells for 250-300
Old 03-23-2012, 02:18 PM
21 Acura RDX Aspec

if you would have said you cant justify spending 250 odd bucks on "donno how many horses" i would have left you alone LOL....

hydrolock you mention DOES NOT happen coz of CAI....it happens coz of STUPIDITY !!!.....if you see a puddle of water:
1> do not drive thro it....
2> if you didnt know how deep it is and decided to drive thro it, do not gas the car like a bish in there !!!

what is hydrolock ?? when intake is sitting in water and you stomp on the gas, it sucks the water thro the intake, into the manifold, to the runners and enters the cylinder.....since water cannot compress as well as GAS and AIR mixture can, you end up with a bent rod.....

i live in the midwest where you get some torrential rains and i have had a CAI for over 4 years without a problem....hell am running a bigger filter (longer) and am slammed.....so its not the CAI.....its the common sense....

and Jer, the CAI adds a damn nice growl to the engine sound !!!

well the Accord and TL have many things in common....PCD's, Jpipes, and even exhaust are pretty similar....then the manifold/runners/heads/ and we can go on.....

the V2 fits the TL without any issues....but am glad you didnt spend extra $$$ on the V2 as it just adds to the sound and not HP gains.....

demand and supply is a weird funda.....i remember i got the CAI + P2R TB + Gaskets shipped to me back in 2008 for 215 shipped and now just the CAI sells for 250-300
Totally AGREE! I have had CAI is pretty much EVERYTHING I have driven...IDKY its taken me so long to pull the trigger but it did. And to touch on what u mentioned, I have NEVER had any water issues with any of my modded motors with CAI at all. I know what streets get flooded beyound driving capabilities. Ex. South Tampa area near Gandy and MacDill AFB is a down right swamp! when it down poors. On another hand, I had a complete modded and stroked EG with a AEM CAI and I sold it to a guy, the very same week...WATER LOCKED IN SOUTH TAMPA... 8k into the motor alone! DONE!... = STUPITY!!!

But I am sure RS143 is speaking in worst case senerio. He has always represented himself as a bright & intelligent guy... Right RS? Pls say YES...lol
Old 03-23-2012, 02:24 PM

I like to think so...
Common sense unfortunately isn't the only factor in the act of making a calculated decision...puddle doesn't look that deep, need/want to get home before dark...go for it. Sh*t, deeper than I thought...engine just turned off.

I'd rather avoid the possiblity. To be honest...

I'm not saying I haven't considered it, but for the gains they claim by adding a CAI, it wasn't worth it to me. I'm happy with my intake resonator out and a K&N drop in filter...I have plenty growl, trust me.

J.
Old 03-23-2012, 02:56 PM

Totally AGREE! I have had CAI is pretty much EVERYTHING I have driven...IDKY its taken me so long to pull the trigger but it did. And to touch on what u mentioned, I have NEVER had any water issues with any of my modded motors with CAI at all. I know what streets get flooded beyound driving capabilities. Ex. South Tampa area near Gandy and MacDill AFB is a down right swamp! when it down poors. On another hand, I had a complete modded and stroked EG with a AEM CAI and I sold it to a guy, the very same week...WATER LOCKED IN SOUTH TAMPA... 8k into the motor alone! DONE!... = STUPITY!!!

But I am sure RS143 is speaking in worst case senerio. He has always represented himself as a bright & intelligent guy... Right RS? Pls say YES...lol
hahaha damn.....yeah rebuilding the motor can turn out to be very very expensive !!!

I like to think so...
Common sense unfortunately isn't the only factor in the act of making a calculated decision...puddle doesn't look that deep, need/want to get home before dark...go for it. Sh*t, deeper than I thought...engine just turned off.

I'd rather avoid the possiblity. To be honest...

I'm not saying I haven't considered it, but for the gains they claim by adding a CAI, it wasn't worth it to me. I'm happy with my intake resonator out and a K&N drop in filter...I have plenty growl, trust me.

J.
now i leave you alone LOL....

EDIT: bro read the thread on KNN filters....it says/shows how it damages your engine..... lemme try to search it and post up the link here

Last edited by swoosh; 03-23-2012 at 03:00 PM.
Old 03-24-2012, 01:34 AM

Thanks man,I will google it...don't know why it would though
Old 03-24-2012, 09:17 AM
21 Acura RDX Aspec

hahaha damn.....yeah rebuilding the motor can turn out to be very very expensive !!!

now i leave you alone LOL....

EDIT: bro read the thread on KNN filters....it says/shows how it damages your engine..... lemme try to search it and post up the link here
WHAT!? U mean the "DROP IN'S?" Wow...interesting. I would like to read up on that since I recently dropped 1 in ea. of our cars. The lady ACCORD and my TL.

On Topic: Gonna start the ACCORD fog and TLS grilles install this morning/early noon. Eating my cereal and on my way to the shop soon after a long night with Gabe (shop owner) at PRIME TIME drinking Bacardi "LEMON" and Red Bull mix backed by a few shots watching some March Madness...Back to the TL GRIND!

Last edited by JayVee; 03-24-2012 at 09:27 AM.
Old 03-24-2012, 12:59 PM

Thanks man,I will google it...don't know why it would though
allow me to be a smart ass for a minute

Q: why does the KNN flow better ?
A: because it has bigger holes

Q: why do regular engine air filters have smaller holes ?
A: to filter the dust going in

Q: So is KNN filtering well ?
A:

WHAT!? U mean the "DROP IN'S?" Wow...interesting. I would like to read up on that since I recently dropped 1 in ea. of our cars. The lady ACCORD and my TL.

On Topic: Gonna start the ACCORD fog and TLS grilles install this morning/early noon. Eating my cereal and on my way to the shop soon after a long night with Gabe (shop owner) at PRIME TIME drinking Bacardi "LEMON" and Red Bull mix backed by a few shots watching some March Madness...Back to the TL GRIND!
well IHC (I hate cars) and some dude went at it and both got banned.....i tend to follow IHC/Inaccurate kinda blindly as this is my first car i have owned and they seem to know a lot more and do their research.....

here is the thread:
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-performance-parts-modifications-112/engine-air-filter-discussion-809610/
Old 03-24-2012, 02:56 PM
Bird is the Word

Received 975 Likes on 632 Posts
I can't believe how much progress you've made on you're car in a short amount of time. I'll have to see it at one of our future meets.

I had a cai on my 99 cobra and sucked up water on the interstate. The car started running rough soon after but I was scared to shut it down with 40 miles to go in fear of hydro locking. I babied it home and checked the oil and it was milky white. I towed it to a shop and luckily no damage was done. I switched out to a ram air setup and I dynoed the same rwhp as the cai.
Old 03-24-2012, 07:05 PM
21 Acura RDX Aspec

WTF!!! This tls grille & 05 ACCORD fog intstall is a BITCH! Waiting for Gabe to get back from ADVANCE AUTO with in tapped inline fuse... Almost done...wiring it up and buttoning down the bumper and we will be done! But FAWK! what a time consuming trial and error install! We stared approx 1230-1pm... still here at 8pm... Granted sitting and bs for a lil here and there but still... CAN'T WAIT to see all it done.
Old 03-24-2012, 07:16 PM
Race Director

WTF!!! This tls grille & 05 ACCORD fog intstall is a BITCH! Waiting for Gabe to get back from ADVANCE AUTO with in tapped inline fuse... Almost done...wiring it up and buttoning down the bumper and we will be done! But FAWK! what a time consuming trial and error install! We stared approx 1230-1pm... still here at 8pm... Granted sitting and bs for a lil here and there but still... CAN'T WAIT to see all it done.

Man, my install spanned over a whole week...

The two installs I did for people only took a day though
Old 03-24-2012, 07:20 PM

my installed spaced out over a damn week....my little dremel cudnt hold old the power....by the time i cut the grille, it was done charge and cut and charge and cut....took me a damn week hahaha.....
Old 03-24-2012, 07:24 PM
21 Acura RDX Aspec

lmao!!!
Old 03-24-2012, 08:22 PM

the fog install was the most nerve racking mod, I've done to date...there is no wrong way to do it...and conversely, there is no RIGHT way to do it. Just cut slow and figure it out...I did install one day and switch wiring another (a WHOLE other headache!).

Allow me to retort, smart ass...what kind of "holes" do you think your extended cold air intake filter has? I'm guess it's not a paper filter. The problem with K&N's is that most people don't know how to reoil them.
Old 03-24-2012, 09:17 PM

^^^ u didnt read the thread did u ??? nor did you understand my post LOL

EDIT: the surface area which the CAI filter has to offer it is more than the surface area the cabin air filter....so to improve the air flow, bigger holes !!! CAI filters do not have to use the same technique since they have more surface area to offer.....

Last edited by swoosh; 03-24-2012 at 09:19 PM.

Quick Reply: JayVee's 3G TL