04 5AT to 05 6MT Transformation has Commenced.

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 10:18 AM
Tri State ViP Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what an amazing project.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:30 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
Originally Posted by godfather2
^ we need pics (but start your own thread so as not to jack, jack)
Not jacking at all since there are, and will be, no pics. No camera = no pics. Besides, with the exception of a couple of things, the car looks the same as it did before.
Old 12-03-2008, 01:07 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
eric wat r u doing this weekend im going to get my car detailed and i was thinking we could get some pic off the tl. my boy that is doing it for me want to get some pic off my car and his car. so i was thinking joy ride with a little bite off pic action. let me no man.you try to round up some cars or somthing. justin (hendrick honda)
Old 12-03-2008, 01:43 PM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,790 Likes on 2,555 Posts
crazy man car looks great. your doing a hole lot of transformation this off season and my car is sitting stagnate getting nothing, booo.

got somethings to talk to you about so message me when you are online.
Old 12-03-2008, 02:42 PM
Without a garage

I stumbled on this thread and I must say I'm amazed. But I want to get one thing clear. It's not really a transmission swap, right? You have 2 TLs and swapped out parts from the Auto to the MT, right?
Old 12-03-2008, 03:25 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
Originally Posted by laidback93
.... It's not really a transmission swap, right? You have 2 TLs and swapped out parts from the Auto to the MT, right?

Correct. Moving parts/systems from '04 5AT to an '05 6MT.

Just left there and they were finishing off the Navi - works perfectly. They're working on HFL Voice/Speaker next, I guess.
Old 12-03-2008, 05:19 PM
200,000 mile club

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts
^^ I was very happy to hear the navigation voice come out of the center channel. HFL is next and it is a success. We need to get some work done on the old car.

The nav install is just like putting in a aftermarket kenwood or any other unit. Having our hands on the factory harness made it really sweet. You need to hook up a few other wires. VSS, backup signal, constant 12v and acc, ground and call it a day son!!! Well worth the work but it was a lot.

Originally Posted by chill_dog
Not jacking at all since there are, and will be, no pics. No camera = no pics. Besides, with the exception of a couple of things, the car looks the same as it did before.
Jack, a camera these days can be bought for under 50 bucks. Splurge on yourself this Christmas. Santa says so
Old 12-03-2008, 07:58 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by mmade22

Jack, a camera these days can be bought for under 50 bucks. Splurge on yourself this Christmas. Santa says so

Or you might end up with one of these:

Old 12-04-2008, 06:21 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

All of my splurging is going to local purveyors of food and drink this month. Between the last few weekends and this coming one, $50 would be a welcomed sight. Besides, I don't take pictures, why get a camera? And I don't think the boss would appreciate me uploading pics at work, either.
Originally Posted by Bearcat94
Or you might end up with one of these:

A red X? If you've got two more to go with it, I'll take it.
Old 12-04-2008, 12:28 PM
tehLEGOman

Received 1,983 Likes on 1,336 Posts
Originally Posted by ILLustriousUA6
omf eric me so jealous and sad that you are leaving the wdp on bronze TE-37 crew.. =(

All good tho, new set up is just titsy as well. mo pics!
I'm sad to leave the wdp with bronze club Don. I think at one point there were 5 or 6 in the club at the same time! I'll get more pics, no worries!

Originally Posted by Distorted Reality
Lookin sick Eric, nice update!
Thanks brother.

Originally Posted by stillhere153
ok so use mamitaxchula's car as a frame of refference

fyi: she is rolling 20x9.5 all around, non stretched
She was one of the first to run 9.5s all around if i remember correctly.

Originally Posted by ballinfizzle89
Frame of reference for what..?

They're both dope ass cars, and they both have different styles homie
Her TL is doper than mines, it's female driven.

Originally Posted by scotterson
haha I think stillhere's trying to get eric to run a non-stretched setup.

Anyways, wow thats such a good deal for the bronze te-37s lol. Trade for 18x9 rpf1's? lol.

And i came at least 46 times looking at the new wheels.
I think it's a fairly good deal, and thanks man!

Originally Posted by SiCrew
Looks sick Eric. Major props on all the work!! It was amazing to see this car at the HIN where I met up with you and Faiz. And now after these changes it just gets sicker. I know Faiz is up to some crazy stuff on the wheel side as well haha. Both of your 3g TL's are amazing.

-Andy
Good to hear from you Andy. I guess it has changed a bit since HIN MD. Thanks for the comments bro.

Originally Posted by godfather2
now that's fresh
Thanks Vin.

Originally Posted by Audioserf
And I'm sitting over here picturing them with the Seibon Time Attack color scheme on my CGP TSX...

Car's looking great Eric. The gold really pops on the WDP.
Now that would look killer on your car! Thanks for the comments bro.

Looks good. I got my wheels on yesterday, too . Of course, I didn't wash my car...not only was it too damn cold, but it was after 6:00 by the time I got the wheels swapped. My wheels are clean, though .

$1k is a great price for the TE's. The curbs can easily be fixed DIY, or at that price, professionally, and you'd still have nothing tied up in the wheels. If I had a spare $1k laying around, I'd get them to be the ultimate wheel whore.

Oh yeah, check out Jen's set up...you've got to get rid of that stetch.
I was telling Jon and Jim we need to run a wdp photoshoot sometime, so that's good your devotions have returned to the hubs.

And there should never be an excuse for giving a TL a bath. I washed mine the other night when it was 38 degrees out.

One other thing, Discount Tire only charged me once. Instead of $16 to dismount and another $16 to mount, it was only $16 to dismount/mount. Just an FYI.
That's a fair price. I'm lookin forward to seeing the wheels again.

Originally Posted by triton3k
what an amazing project.
Thanks.

I'll take the pics Jack, just swing her on over this side of town again.

Originally Posted by jsacuratls
eric wat r u doing this weekend im going to get my car detailed and i was thinking we could get some pic off the tl. my boy that is doing it for me want to get some pic off my car and his car. so i was thinking joy ride with a little bite off pic action. let me no man.you try to round up some cars or somthing. justin (hendrick honda)
Nothing planned yet J, whatever happens happens! Just let me know if you wanna meet up, i'll take some pics for you.

Originally Posted by CCColtsicehockey
crazy man car looks great. your doing a hole lot of transformation this off season and my car is sitting stagnate getting nothing, booo.

got somethings to talk to you about so message me when you are online.
That's allright though!...cause i'm and debt and you're not! haha. Funny thing is, i've got a ways to go to even catch up to the level your car is at.

Clint said primedia will probably feature your car, not sure which magazine, so just contact him about it. I told him i didn't want my car featured anymore, and he was dumbfounded hehe.

Originally Posted by laidback93
I stumbled on this thread and I must say I'm amazed. But I want to get one thing clear. It's not really a transmission swap, right? You have 2 TLs and swapped out parts from the Auto to the MT, right?
Correct!

Correct. Moving parts/systems from '04 5AT to an '05 6MT.

Just left there and they were finishing off the Navi - works perfectly. They're working on HFL Voice/Speaker next, I guess.
Correct again!

^^ I was very happy to hear the navigation voice come out of the center channel. HFL is next and it is a success. We need to get some work done on the old car.

The nav install is just like putting in a aftermarket kenwood or any other unit. Having our hands on the factory harness made it really sweet. You need to hook up a few other wires. VSS, backup signal, constant 12v and acc, ground and call it a day son!!! Well worth the work but it was a lot.

I gotta give it to you Jon. You know your stuff when it comes to electrical wiring and diagrams. There is no way in hell this would have been possible or even attempted without your expertise. Thanks again for the assistance.
Old 12-04-2008, 12:51 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

The master of the multi-quote .
Old 12-15-2008, 09:48 PM
wat

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
moar update+pics or ban.
Old 12-15-2008, 09:53 PM
AZ Community Team

What happened to the Bronze Volks?
Old 12-15-2008, 10:01 PM
Burning Brakes

eric
HI!
Old 12-16-2008, 12:00 AM
tehLEGOman

The master of the multi-quote .
The multi quote function is the greatest function of all internet forums.

...I got your message from this past weekend. I was in Chapel Hill/Durham for my cousins wedding.

Originally Posted by scotterson
moar update+pics or ban.
MOAR?! haha, i'll get some eventually.

The bronze TEs are sitting in the garage. Either someone will bring 10, 100 dollar bills and take them off my hands, or i'll trade the auto TL in for a 6MT TSX and put them on that.

Originally Posted by 04DCTL
eric
HI!
Hayes! Hi!
Old 12-16-2008, 12:07 AM
Suzuka Master

You only want $1000 for those Volks? Hit me up
Old 12-16-2008, 01:24 AM
Pro

Saweeeeettt!

You are my hero! i duno how you have all that time and energy to completely rip apart both tl's and put them back together with incredible finishing touches and unique thoughts on colors. major props for the progressing success! i wish i had the time to mount all the parts i have layin in my garage awaiting install.
Old 12-16-2008, 09:17 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Originally Posted by ACCURATEin
The bronze TEs are sitting in the garage. Either someone will bring 10, 100 dollar bills and take them off my hands, or i'll trade the auto TL in for a 6MT TSX and put them on that.
You better get on that, Jim.

...I got your message from this past weekend. I was in Chapel Hill/Durham for my cousins wedding.
Sounds like fun. I still have a tire to give you.
Old 01-11-2009, 04:17 PM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,790 Likes on 2,555 Posts
so when you gonna finish the transformation eric.
Old 01-11-2009, 05:56 PM
6-SPEED LOVER

Received 122 Likes on 90 Posts
+1... stop crusin already i kno the 6spds is hot but its S/C TIME!!!
Old 01-11-2009, 06:28 PM
Pro

Lets just give him some time, its still winter lol btw PICS PICS PICS
Old 01-12-2009, 08:40 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

^It's not that cold here...and he has all day .

By the way, I'm going to be needing my manual soon Eric...headlights will be going in in the next few weeks . Having done the lights before, you could always assist .
Old 01-13-2009, 07:15 PM
Cruisin'

Dude this is absolutely the best TL Ive seen so far I'm a lil late in the game so this might be a noob question but for the project mu brakes did you have to machine those yourself or do they make Brakes that fit the TL?
Old 01-14-2009, 04:40 AM
tehLEGOman

Originally Posted by horsepowercrzy18
You are my hero! i duno how you have all that time and energy to completely rip apart both tl's and put them back together with incredible finishing touches and unique thoughts on colors. major props for the progressing success! i wish i had the time to mount all the parts i have layin in my garage awaiting install.
haha. I actually did run out of energy because i hadn't touched the auto TL in a while before yesterday. Thanks for the comments !

It's done for now. I'll leave the supercharger off until i get bored.

Originally Posted by ABP_04TL
+1... stop crusin already i kno the 6spds is hot but its S/C TIME!!!
haha everyone keeps saying to put the charger on!

Originally Posted by race4ed
Lets just give him some time, its still winter lol btw PICS PICS PICS
i'll get some more pics up one day.

^It's not that cold here...and he has all day .

By the way, I'm going to be needing my manual soon Eric...headlights will be going in in the next few weeks . Having done the lights before, you could always assist .
If you wanna swing your TL to my place, i'll take the bumper off and install them for you. I've done it a few times, so just let me know.

Originally Posted by xRocksteadyx
Dude this is absolutely the best TL Ive seen so far I'm a lil late in the game so this might be a noob question but for the project mu brakes did you have to machine those yourself or do they make Brakes that fit the TL?
Thanks man! Any brake kit for a tsx will fit on any auto TL(non brembo) But for the 6MT TLs, if you change out the knuckles, you can make it happen as well.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:13 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

If you wanna swing your TL to my place, i'll take the bumper off and install them for you. I've done it a few times, so just let me know.
That's ok, I prefer doing the work myself. I just thought having a spare set of hands that've done it before would be nice...you know, offer insight and guidance. Besides, it's outside work at your place . Just get me the book in the next few weeks. If you (or Jon) can't come by whenever I get to the install, I'm sure I'll manage.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:54 PM
tehLEGOman

^^ Jack, thanks again for letting us use your TL service manual. Without it, the navi swap wouldn't have been made possible.

I think this thread is ready for an update. Took some pictures in the garage now that the 5AT is off the jack stands and the 6MT has found her way into the single car garage. Enjoy the pics guys..!

Skunk2 weighted shift knob. Thanks Aaron.

Top secret tow hook closeup...

245/35/19 Kumho MX tires arrived today!! $150 each!

CF short ram intake/fujita filter. Put the 15lb braille battery in the engine bay for now.

more in a few minutes...
Old 01-15-2009, 09:17 PM
tehLEGOman

The black finish on the APR mirror supports had faded, so i sanded them down and painted them blue.

Ingalls camber and tow arms..

Inside the red box indicates a failed attempt!! The bolt is seized inside the bushing. Multiple attempts have been made to get this SOB the eff out. The next and last attempt will be made a success via the ultimate tool...SAW SAW!! Ain't that right Jon?!..

OEM j-pipe attached to a 3inch pipe. Titanium 3 inch closest to the wall..

Blower sighting!!

The blue arrows indicate the power of white diamond pearl. White diamond pearl rules.

King Leonidas says what's up!
Old 01-15-2009, 09:19 PM
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 13 Posts
Everything is nice, but you know what's missing Eric? Pictures of this monster on the track tearing shit up! =)
Old 01-15-2009, 09:24 PM
Clemson Tiger

Finally an update!

Great progress. Love the tie in with the blue on the mirrors and glad to see the sc in the beast
Old 01-15-2009, 09:24 PM
Rev High; Drive Happy

Received 398 Likes on 332 Posts
lol I like the Rays flag.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:41 PM
Pro

150 each for tires....how the hell? Have fun with them, they look super sticky. Car looks great too. You've done a hell of a job!
Old 01-15-2009, 09:41 PM
tehLEGOman

Originally Posted by aznbo187
Everything is nice, but you know what's missing Eric? Pictures of this monster on the track tearing shit up! =)
Thanks Mike. And you're right!...it's now time to take this baby to the track. Or it's almost time. There are still some things to be done before taking her to the track.

I plan on doing one of the time attack events, either at the nashville superspeeday or carolina motorsports park in july/august.

http://www.redlinetimeattack.com/index-5.html

Originally Posted by JakerfTL
Finally an update!

Great progress. Love the tie in with the blue on the mirrors and glad to see the sc in the beast
Thanks man. You going to IA in july? I'm planning on being there.

Originally Posted by o4Komodo
lol I like the Rays flag.
haha. Nam at the shop where i bought the wheels from let me have it. I think it's awesome.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:44 PM
tehLEGOman

Originally Posted by Timeless
150 each for tires....how the hell? Have fun with them, they look super sticky. Car looks great too. You've done a hell of a job!
YES!! $150 each. It's a phenomenal price for 19s. For some reason, the kumho MXs are $150 no matter what, because my brother bought a set in 17s for that price, and i've got a set of 18s on the ce28s on my girlfriends lexus, and those were 150 each as well.

And thanks for the comments bro.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:49 PM
Clemson Tiger

Thanks man. You going to IA in july? I'm planning on being there.
Ya I'm definitely gonna be there. Maybe in a 3g TL 6mt or CL-6 if my plans work out this summer but we'll see. You know the dates yet? Gotta put it on my schedule
Old 01-15-2009, 10:01 PM
A Black TL

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Dam very nice how long did it take to take everything out of ur old 5a/t and put it in ur new 6m/t?
Old 01-15-2009, 10:21 PM
ഥഎണഡഏ Fellas Inc.

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
siick
Old 01-15-2009, 11:48 PM
tehLEGOman

Originally Posted by JakerfTL
Ya I'm definitely gonna be there. Maybe in a 3g TL 6mt or CL-6 if my plans work out this summer but we'll see. You know the dates yet? Gotta put it on my schedule
Nice! I think it will be the weekend of the 25th/26th of July.

Originally Posted by TL|GTX
Dam very nice how long did it take to take everything out of ur old 5a/t and put it in ur new 6m/t?
Thanks man. I've been working on it off and on since mid september when i purchased the 6MT.

Originally Posted by Malayalee King
siick
Thanks Kiran. Not as sick as your TL though.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:26 AM
Down for a photoshoot?

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Purely AWESOME! Throw that blower on!
Old 01-16-2009, 01:44 AM
iScrape going into

Two words so sick.
Old 01-16-2009, 02:02 AM
too much money for

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
wooww

Quick Reply: 04 5AT to 05 6MT Transformation has Commenced.