****05 TL and 04 RX8****

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2005 | 05:43 PM
PresMoe Rotary

Talking ****05 TL and 04 RX8****

Since I'm new to the Forums, I'd like to introduce my RX8 and my wifes TL! Here are a couple pics, hope you all enjoy:

Edit by MOD: cTLgo
Old 07-30-2005 | 10:25 PM
Burning Brakes

nice cars... is the TL an auto or a manual?
Old 07-31-2005 | 02:56 AM
PresMoe Rotary

Originally Posted by datplayaz
nice cars... is the TL an auto or a manual?
Its an Auto. Wife wanted it that way.................. If I would have had it my way, she would have gotten an Manual just like my RX8.
Old 08-01-2005 | 05:01 AM
HMFIC

Were it not for stories of 13 mpg, low power output and blown rotary engines, I would have bought an RX8.

How does yours do on gas? Any problems? Which ECU replash are you on? Did your car get recalled for the melting gas tank?

Don
Old 08-01-2005 | 08:26 AM
PresMoe Rotary

Originally Posted by KilroyR1
Were it not for stories of 13 mpg, low power output and blown rotary engines, I would have bought an RX8.

How does yours do on gas? Any problems? Which ECU replash are you on? Did your car get recalled for the melting gas tank?

Don
I cant begin to tell you how over exaggerated all of the things about the RX8 such as gas mileage, low power, and blown engines are being told.

My last tank of gas I got 300 mile on and I still had about 2 gallons left. The ECU Reflash is nothing big and doesn't have to be done. Its not a recall just a reflash. As for the Gas tank, I think most RX8's will have to have that done. But the thing is only melts the gas tank if your in a stationary position and holding the RPMS at 8-9K for min's at a time. Who the hell does that? LOL I believe all their going to do is place some kind of piece between the gas tank and the brackets. And that's only if they see damage done to the tank. So in my case, nothing will be done to my car, they will just recalibrate the Computer to not allow me to hold the gas down at high RPM's.

Now for the most important part of what you were saying. The Power! I can explain enough how so many people make me sick when the bitch about the power output. Those people have no clue how to drive a Rotary Power car. This cars power is mid to high range, not low. Its made to REV! It would be able to rev even higher than its 9.5K RPM right now if they would have put a stronger clutch and Trans in it. I speak the truth here and the man upstairs can strike me dead if I'm lying. That I have Kept up and in many cases beat 350Z's, G35's(on a Regular basis), S2000's, 3000Gt's, Audi S4's and many more. Like I said this car has to be driven right, if not done correctly, yes your going to get your ass handed to you. Its kinda like this, cars like the 350Z are much easier to drive in a straight line without work because of the pure muscle car power that comes out of them, the RX8 has to be put in the Revving Range to see the power output.

I'll post some clips and links to show you what an so called "low powered" car such as an RX8 can do on a track!
Old 08-01-2005 | 08:39 AM
PresMoe Rotary

Here's a link to Topgear which I'm sure all of you have heard of. Very even race because there is one professional driver driving all the cars around one track several times to see how fast he can do it.

Power Lap Times (same time as a M3, 350Z and BMW 535d)

Passing a Audi S4 and Camero SS on Track

Racing a Modded S2000 on Track

And much more if you like. I drove my wife's Acura TL hard again yesterday and the only thing I can say my car is still faster in a straight line. And don't even bother putting corners and braking into the equation because I would spank her car bad. It feels as if the TL loses power once it gets to redline, my car once in its rev band at 3-4k RPMS never loses power and could keep going pass the Redline.
Old 08-01-2005 | 08:41 AM
PresMoe Rotary

Hey Kilroy, since you live in Columbia, if we ever meet up you can ride in my car and I'll show you how at Rotary Powered car is suppose to be driven.
Old 08-01-2005 | 05:36 PM
Instructor

maybe you guys should race
Old 08-01-2005 | 05:50 PM
PresMoe Rotary

Originally Posted by pearl04
maybe you guys should race
ha ha. I don't street race. I keep my mouth on the track. Since we have both, I'm able to make a fair enough judgement on the performance of both cars. And believe me, I'm not trying to bash the TL. I actually am the one that made my wife buy that car. But its not going to out perform my RX8 in any way and that's my assessment from driving both back to back several times already. Plus their two totally different types of cars and shouldn't be compared anyway's.
Old 08-01-2005 | 06:38 PM
Instructor

I was j/k......nice cars. Maybe we can get some people together for a meet. There's a few from MD,DC,VA on this forum.
Old 08-01-2005 | 06:54 PM
PresMoe Rotary

Originally Posted by pearl04
I was j/k......nice cars. Maybe we can get some people together for a meet. There's a few from MD,DC,VA on this forum.
Yeah I see that, love the fact that we have car enthusiast's around here. Love my wife's TL but love my RX8 way more! Hope to meet you guys soon.
Old 08-01-2005 | 09:18 PM
HMFIC

Originally Posted by ccasmoe00
Hey Kilroy, since you live in Columbia, if we ever meet up you can ride in my car and I'll show you how at Rotary Powered car is suppose to be driven.
That would be sweet. I actually work in Beltsville, so were very close.

Smart to keep the racing on the track, here is my new track hag...

And here's my TL...

Old 08-01-2005 | 09:40 PM
Instructor

That bike is sick! I almost got my first bike this year......but I bought wheels instead. I guess I will try and find a super deal in the winter. My sister-in-law lives in Beltsville, we are over there all the time.
Old 08-01-2005 | 09:54 PM
PresMoe Rotary

Cool, please if any of you could, PM me when theres going to be a meet. I'm always bouncing around since I have my own business, so let me know! Thanks.
Old 08-03-2005 | 05:51 PM
Pro

Here's a link to Topgear which I'm sure all of you have heard of. Very even race because there is one professional driver driving all the cars around one track several times to see how fast he can do it.

Power Lap Times (same time as a M3, 350Z and BMW 535d)

Passing a Audi S4 and Camero SS on Track

Racing a Modded S2000 on Track

And much more if you like. I drove my wife's Acura TL hard again yesterday and the only thing I can say my car is still faster in a straight line. And don't even bother putting corners and braking into the equation because I would spank her car bad. It feels as if the TL loses power once it gets to redline, my car once in its rev band at 3-4k RPMS never loses power and could keep going pass the Redline.
Hmm, according to that site, the CTS-V is slower than the RX-8. I looked at the RX-8 before I went with the TL, and I thought that it was dog stock. And I do know how to drive. I went with the TL for practicality, not speed but still felt the TL was faster in a line. I still do when I meet an RX-8 at a light.

Good luck with the TL however.
Old 08-03-2005 | 06:03 PM
Team Pumkin

Originally Posted by KilroyR1
That would be sweet. I actually work in Beltsville, so were very close.

Smart to keep the racing on the track, here is my new track hag...

I'll do ya one better

BD
Old 08-03-2005 | 07:03 PM
PresMoe Rotary

Originally Posted by apwalsh
Hmm, according to that site, the CTS-V is slower than the RX-8. I looked at the RX-8 before I went with the TL, and I thought that it was dog stock. And I do know how to drive. I went with the TL for practicality, not speed but still felt the TL was faster in a line. I still do when I meet an RX-8 at a light.

Good luck with the TL however.
Please catch me at a light. PLEASE. I never said people couldnt drive, I said they cant drive a Rotary Powered Car. And thats the truth. Your not going to get your power down low in a RX8. To be honest with you if your starting from a dead stop, you need to do a little clutch drop because of the low Torque.

My wife has the Automatic so I know its slower than the 05 TL Manual, but heres a little info for you.

05 Acura TL Manual

04 Mazda RX8 Manual

***Both were Manuals and Both had Clutch Drops done when tested***
Old 08-03-2005 | 07:04 PM
PresMoe Rotary

Originally Posted by Big Daddy1
I'll do ya one better

BD
I've seen you man! Ha, I think I saw your TL today too. Do you work right on Rhode Island accross from the Car Wash?
Old 08-03-2005 | 07:12 PM
Suzuka Master

Meh, no 20b, no care.

Nice TL though
Old 08-03-2005 | 07:14 PM
PresMoe Rotary

Originally Posted by mclarenf3387
Meh, no 20b, no care.

Nice TL though
Dont know your Rotary Engines to well, do you buddy?
Old 08-03-2005 | 07:19 PM
PresMoe Rotary

Heres a little video, just bought in. A stock RX8 6 Speed Manual on a track in England(which they have the lower powered RX8 Manual, not like the 238HP we have here in the US). Gots to love a Rotary!

RX8 vs Porsche Carrera 911 S (Right Click and "Save As") ***Large File 24MB***
Old 08-03-2005 | 07:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Dont know your Rotary Engines to well, do you buddy?
WTF are you talking about? I know you have a 13b. I am saying if there ain't a 20b in there, I don't care.

And I was just fucking with you, but it seems people have a hard time reading sarcasm these days.
Old 08-03-2005 | 07:33 PM
PresMoe Rotary

WTF are you talking about? I know you have a 13b. I am saying if there ain't a 20b in there, I don't care.

And I was just fucking with you, but it seems people have a hard time reading sarcasm these days.

I'm just messing with you man. I was just doing it back to you! LOL Calm down......
Old 08-03-2005 | 07:37 PM
Racer

hey congrats on the new TL man. I like the rx-8 very nice car. Shows you have good taste in cars. lol Oh by the way you said you do your racing at the track. Did you do any 1/4 races by any chance? If so i'd love to see how well the rx-8 does at the strip.
Old 08-03-2005 | 07:38 PM
Suzuka Master

I'm just messing with you man. I was just doing it back to you! LOL Calm down......
My bad, long day Couldn't tell if you were being an ass with the eye roll.

And after seeing the Acostas Rx-8 in action on the road, my perspective on RX-8s is a bit jaded
Old 08-03-2005 | 07:42 PM
PresMoe Rotary

My bad, long day Couldn't tell if you were being an ass with the eye roll.

And after seeing the Acostas Rx-8 in action on the road, my perspective on RX-8s is a bit jaded
Which RX8 is that? No one ever gets dulled by the action of an rx8 on the road. Have you driven one?
Old 08-03-2005 | 07:48 PM
Suzuka Master

Which RX8 is that? No one ever gets dulled by the action of an rx8 on the road. Have you driven one?
http://www.urbanracer.com/articles/a...sp?a=1239&z=16

I've driven a F3C Vert (slow as balls down low, not bad up top, but still kinda slow) and rode in a modified F3D ( ), but haven't been in a RX-8.
Old 08-03-2005 | 07:55 PM
PresMoe Rotary

http://www.urbanracer.com/articles/a...sp?a=1239&z=16

I've driven a F3C Vert (slow as balls down low, not bad up top, but still kinda slow) and rode in a modified F3D ( ), but haven't been in a RX-8.
You got tired of that? U crazy man? LOL You have to drive an RX8 man, their a blast. Good acceleration(when driven right), with excellent handling and braking. I love my car on mountain roads!
Old 08-04-2005 | 01:04 AM
Cruisin'

I bet your garage is loving you right about now with those two new cars.
Old 08-04-2005 | 08:30 AM
PresMoe Rotary

Originally Posted by munchkin
I bet your garage is loving you right about now with those two new cars.

Sure is! I just bought a car cover for my RX8 too. Guess I'm going to have to buy the wife one as well.
Old 08-04-2005 | 08:50 AM
Pro

Please catch me at a light. PLEASE. I never said people couldnt drive, I said they cant drive a Rotary Powered Car. And thats the truth. Your not going to get your power down low in a RX8. To be honest with you if your starting from a dead stop, you need to do a little clutch drop because of the low Torque.

My wife has the Automatic so I know its slower than the 05 TL Manual, but heres a little info for you.

05 Acura TL Manual

04 Mazda RX8 Manual

***Both were Manuals and Both had Clutch Drops done when tested***
I wouldn't mind that at all. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong but when I test drove the RX, I did have the rpms all the way up, and I still didn't feel any power. I know there is nothing down low, I didn't juice it until I was in second gear at about 5.5K, and then took off and kept the RPMs up past 100mph. It wasn't slow, it just didn't feel that fast on my butt dyno. And the straight line info in those examples are almost identical, except for the 1/4, which I have seen the TL as low as 14.1, but I cannot speak for the RX's times. The TL is pretty much the same though, have to keep RPMs high. It is a great looking car and I probably would have gotten it except I really needed a usuable back seat.
i'm sorry but I won't believe that the RX is faster stock than a S4 or CTS-V. Not until I witness it with my own eyes.

Good luck with the cars, nice combo you have there.
Old 08-04-2005 | 09:55 AM
PresMoe Rotary

i'm sorry but I won't believe that the RX is faster stock than a S4 or CTS-V. Not until I witness it with my own eyes.

Good luck with the cars, nice combo you have there.
Hate to say it but you dont feel it because of the low Torque. I still dont think your were driving it right. The RX8 is NOT faster than a S4 or CTV-V in the straight line. But you add corners and those two cars are getting their asses whipped. I'm tell you this because I know, I've seen it done. Didnt you just watch the video of a Stock RX8 hanging with a Persche 911 Carrera S? Now if it can hang with that what makes you think its not faster than a S4 or CTS-V. Oh I have something for you:

Heres another stock RX8 at Road Atlanta RX8 vs Audi S4 & Camero SS

Stock RX8 vs Carrera 911 S (Right Click and Save As) Large file 24MB

Wont be the first person to say the RX8 is not Fast. I'm just trying to prove my point. My wifes TL is NOT faster then my RX8 in a straight line. I just told you guys, on Sunday I drove my wifes car hard and jumped out of it and right into my car and then drove it hard. I will out do it in any performance category! Thats my assessment due to having the ability to drive both back to back. But to each their own...................
Old 08-04-2005 | 11:57 AM
Pro

Hate to say it but you dont feel it because of the low Torque. I still dont think your were driving it right. The RX8 is NOT faster than a S4 or CTV-V in the straight line. But you add corners and those two cars are getting their asses whipped. I'm tell you this because I know, I've seen it done. Didnt you just watch the video of a Stock RX8 hanging with a Persche 911 Carrera S? Now if it can hang with that what makes you think its not faster than a S4 or CTS-V. Oh I have something for you:

Heres another stock RX8 at Road Atlanta RX8 vs Audi S4 & Camero SS

Stock RX8 vs Carrera 911 S (Right Click and Save As) Large file 24MB

Wont be the first person to say the RX8 is not Fast. I'm just trying to prove my point. My wifes TL is NOT faster then my RX8 in a straight line. I just told you guys, on Sunday I drove my wifes car hard and jumped out of it and right into my car and then drove it hard. I will out do it in any performance category! Thats my assessment due to having the ability to drive both back to back. But to each their own...................
I was only talking in a stright line, the curvies are a different story. Sounds like you don't know how to drive the TL properly then!

Anyway, I'd like to give it another try, but I'm pretty sure I know how to keep a car in the upper RPMs, but maybe I don't. Then again, I only drove it once. I'm not trying to take anything away from the RX, it's probably a great car. I just don't think that it's really that fast. I've only heard comments from owners and people who have driven them at back up what I experienced personally, except for now. Anyway, we'll just have to agree to disagree until we meet on the road

Have fun
Old 08-04-2005 | 12:17 PM
Racer

Exclamation

Hey ccasmoe00 if you are so confident that your RX-8 is faster in the straight line, why don't you take it to the drag strip?!? And then you can prove us all WRONG, until then I'll go by what the magazines say since apparently you must be a better driver than them if you are getting better straight line numbers. So PLEASE take it to the track and post the time slips i would LOVE to see that.
Old 08-04-2005 | 01:18 PM
PresMoe Rotary

Originally Posted by nYmALu86
Hey ccasmoe00 if you are so confident that your RX-8 is faster in the straight line, why don't you take it to the drag strip?!? And then you can prove us all WRONG, until then I'll go by what the magazines say since apparently you must be a better driver than them if you are getting better straight line numbers. So PLEASE take it to the track and post the time slips i would LOVE to see that.

What times are you looking for?

We have plenty of members that have time slips at the drag strip! Low to mid 14's to be correct for a stock RX8. We also have Turbo powered RX8 running into the high 13's. You seem a little arrogant and your approach towards me. I don't need you telling me shit. I have both the TL and the RX8 sitting in my driveway right now.

By what the magazines say? Their saying the same things as we have gotten on the Forums. 0-60 mph in 5.9 sec and the 1/4 Mile in around 14.5 sec. What's so hard about that? How many track times do you need, don't you see all those track videos, those are all amateurs racing too! Get a life and don't come at me like that again, fool.

Heres one of our members:

First Car

Pic of his car to prove it was him

Time Slip to prove it

(As a matter of fact he beat a G35 Coupe that was beside him and the G35 ran a 14.8)

Second Car

Heres the clip of the Turbo RX8 (W/Leak in Turbo) RX8 at Drag Strip

And lastly, I didnt buy my car for straight line performance. I bought if for the fun factor and how well balanced it was. My car is a great sports car(meaning it does more than just go in a straight line). If I wanted straight line I would have bought an EVO or STi for the same price that I paid for my RX8.
Old 08-04-2005 | 01:36 PM
PresMoe Rotary

I was only talking in a stright line, the curvies are a different story. Sounds like you don't know how to drive the TL properly then!

Anyway, I'd like to give it another try, but I'm pretty sure I know how to keep a car in the upper RPMs, but maybe I don't. Then again, I only drove it once. I'm not trying to take anything away from the RX, it's probably a great car. I just don't think that it's really that fast. I've only heard comments from owners and people who have driven them at back up what I experienced personally, except for now. Anyway, we'll just have to agree to disagree until we meet on the road

Have fun
Hey, I'm not trying to be an ASS here. I'm just tired of people saying that. I have the right to make a fair assessment due to me owning both. But if you consider you TL fast, then you have to consider the RX8 fast because it puts faster numbers up.

Its kinda like people saying the EVO and STi are fast sports cars. Yes their fast, but I dont consider them sport cars, more like rally cars than anything.

I guess it all depends on what your def of "fast" is. But sure we can agree to disagree. We live in America, correct?
Old 08-04-2005 | 02:17 PM
Instructor

You sure do have your evidence together.
Old 08-04-2005 | 02:40 PM
Pro

Hey, I'm not trying to be an ASS here. I'm just tired of people saying that. I have the right to make a fair assessment due to me owning both. But if you consider you TL fast, then you have to consider the RX8 fast because it puts faster numbers up.

Its kinda like people saying the EVO and STi are fast sports cars. Yes their fast, but I dont consider them sport cars, more like rally cars than anything.

I guess it all depends on what your def of "fast" is. But sure we can agree to disagree. We live in America, correct?
I didn't think you were being an ass at all. I'm not saying that the RX-8 is garbage, I'm just saying that I didn't find it as fast as I thought it should have been, and that my butt-dyno felt the TL was a bit faster. I don't really consider either of them "FAST" but they aren't slouches either. It seems that in the 1/4 the TL and RX-8 put up very similar times, too similar to definitively say one is faster than the other. I think there is a member here that put up low 14s stock in a TL, which the RX-8 is also capable of doing according to your numbers, which I am not doubting. So both are mid to low 14 cars, if driven properly according to us and the mags.

Both cars are about the same, the RX does not put faster numbers up, it puts the same numbers up. I'm talking MT vs MT. It's really dependant on the drivers, not the cars in this case.

Correct, STi and Evo are not sports cars. They are SUPER fast econo-boxes! They would make a nice toy though.

Again, I'm not trying to say the RX is slow at all, please do not take it that way.
Old 08-04-2005 | 03:38 PM
Intermediate

well if you are going to go by the mags in C&D it has the 6mt TL 0-60 at 5.7 so that means that the tl is still faster then a RX-8 0-60 at 5.9.
Old 08-04-2005 | 04:45 PM
PresMoe Rotary

Originally Posted by Cha726
well if you are going to go by the mags in C&D it has the 6mt TL 0-60 at 5.7 so that means that the tl is still faster then a RX-8 0-60 at 5.9.

I guess you can come at me with that if you want. So lets have it this way then: C&D says the TL 5.7 and the RX8 is 5.9. (Car and Drivers time for the TL is 5.6 anyways ) OK Fine..... Well Road and track has something that says different for the Manual TL. Says 0-60 is 6.3 with a 4000RPM Clutch Drop. And the RX8 was 5.9 with a clutch drop. I have a little more faith in Road and Track since they have data files to back up their information.

I seriously dont want any of you to think I'm bashing the TL. Cause I'm NOT. It was my idea for my wife to get the damn car in the first place and I happen to love the car when I want to just cruise around town.

Acura TL 6 Speed Manual