XLR8 J-pipe install.......Not liking the sound!

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 07:53 PM
Green Machine

Received 42 Likes on 41 Posts
XLR8 J-pipe install.......Not liking the sound!

Yesterday I swap out my RV6 J-pipe with a brand new XLR8. Reason, because my previous pipe had a leak from a badly scraped flex section. It took 2 hours to do, even though I had a lift. Some of the bolts connecting to the deletes were a bitch! Also one of the gaskets from the RV6 was worn and was causing a slight leak also. Fortunately I had some gasket maker that I use with the gaskets.

After the install, I can confirm that this thing hangs low! I will definitely have to drive carefully. Turned the car on and revved it up. It was very raspy, but I also heard another noise. It sounded like tin rattling rapidly. IMO this made my car sound really cheap. Not liking the sound at all.

When I drove down the road, all I was thinking was I was ready to take this pipe back off. It didn't even feel that much different from the RV6 after driving on the highway.

I went straight to a muffler shop to check after my work. They did not find any leaks. Driving away I was frustrated until I had to merge into traffic. THERE IS GOES!!! The power came in pretty hard! Don't know what happen before; I even had the battery unplug during the install.

Drove my car some more today. I sound a little better, but still have that slight tin-rattling sound as WOT.

Anyone with the XLR8 with a similar sound? I love the way my car sound with the RV6, but now it sounds cheapo!

Here's a couple of pics and videos. Can't really tell the tin sound in the videos though.

Here's the raspy ass rev!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpEjDs246vE

Semi quick drive-by...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3BePphhTkg

Full drive-by; first time I ever made it to 60 on that strip of road...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7Iz28Dz9R0

couple of 60-100 runs...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJIGVILlbtw
Old 11-06-2009, 08:46 PM
Former Whyner

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Dayyyymm that shit hangs low!!! Loving the vids man Ill have to hear it in person tomorrow and judge the rasp effect. Either way pretty fast!!!!!
Old 11-06-2009, 09:01 PM
Green Machine

Originally Posted by RonJonTL757
Dayyyymm that shit hangs low!!! Loving the vids man Ill have to hear it in person tomorrow and judge the rasp effect. Either way pretty fast!!!!!
No doubt! It's much worst than the other day at your house.
Old 11-06-2009, 09:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
if i used that Jpipe, my tires wont touch the ground! lol
Old 11-06-2009, 09:13 PM
Green Machine

Originally Posted by Opel
if i used that Jpipe, my tires wont touch the ground! lol
Can't imagine....
Old 11-06-2009, 09:21 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 306 Likes on 193 Posts
maybe becuase you have the pre-cat deletes.
Old 11-06-2009, 09:23 PM
Former Sponsor

or the custom catback...i have that jpipe with comptech and rv6 race pipe with stock precats and i rumble like a g35...the kid i bought my stuff from had same setup with precats and his sounded nice...then again he was slippry and had his engine bored out to a 3.5 and type s cams and titanium rods.
Old 11-06-2009, 09:28 PM
05' AT SSM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Put some miles on it, i'm sure the tone will change once you give it time to build up some carbon deposits.
Old 11-06-2009, 09:28 PM
Green Machine

Originally Posted by AckTL05
maybe becuase you have the pre-cat deletes.
I'm sure it has a hand in it....lol!

or the custom catback...i have that jpipe with comptech and rv6 race pipe with stock precats and i rumble like a g35...the kid i bought my stuff from had same setup with precats and his sounded nice...then again he was slippry and had his engine bored out to a 3.5 and type s cams and titanium rods.
It does sound alittle like a G35. My exhaust had a touch of rasp before. I think once I get some miles on the j-pipe, it will sound better.
Old 11-06-2009, 09:30 PM
Former Sponsor

Eh - I felt top end gains, never heard anything once I put that on and it was my first mod for exhaust.
Old 11-06-2009, 09:30 PM
Former Sponsor

Im sure it compliments the rest once changed thou. resonate your catback and im sure youll be fine.
Old 11-06-2009, 09:31 PM
Former Sponsor

Instead of making another tread, anyone think it would be a good idea to remove the third cat that comes on the catback from comptech? I love the sound but want it a tad bit louder, would this do me good?
Old 11-06-2009, 09:52 PM
Green Machine

Eh - I felt top end gains, never heard anything once I put that on and it was my first mod for exhaust.
I think I would feel more on topend if I didn't have the MDX spacer. My lowend is huge!

Im sure it compliments the rest once changed thou. resonate your catback and im sure youll be fine.
I have the Aero25 resonator; it was great until I added the deletes and j-pipe.

Instead of making another tread, anyone think it would be a good idea to remove the third cat that comes on the catback from comptech? I love the sound but want it a tad bit louder, would this do me good?
If you mean the mid muffler on the comptech catback, it will make it alittle louder.
Old 11-06-2009, 09:58 PM
Former Sponsor

raspy or nice, I wonder if anyone has ever done this. Too bad Id have to hack up a sweet exhaust.
Old 11-06-2009, 10:38 PM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
my guess is since you had a leak it hid the possibility of your mufflers/resonator being blown...

what I mean is, a leak reduces back pressure, running catless = more heat, so I'd say the problem might be your mufflers/resonator

since your setup is custom it would be best to post the entire setup so we can help you diagnose what might be the root cause... rather than blame the jpipe

ps. DAMN it hangs low

What version of RV6 Cat deletes do you have
What do you have in place of the 3rd cat
What is the diameter of your "custom" exhaust
what resonator (brand?)
what mufflers (brand?)
Old 11-06-2009, 11:12 PM
Green Machine

Originally Posted by stillhere153
my guess is since you had a leak it hid the possibility of your mufflers/resonator being blown...

what I mean is, a leak reduces back pressure, running catless = more heat, so I'd say the problem might be your mufflers/resonator

since your setup is custom it would be best to post the entire setup so we can help you diagnose what might be the root cause... rather than blame the jpipe

ps. DAMN it hangs low

What version of RV6 Cat deletes do you have
What do you have in place of the 3rd cat
What is the diameter of your "custom" exhaust
what resonator (brand?)
what mufflers (brand?)
Ok here is what I have from the block back: Precat Deletes V2, XLR8 J-pipe, Stock 3rd cat, Greddy EVO2 piping (2.4"), Aero25 resonator 2.5"(on the straight pipe before the first bend), Borla mufflers 2.25", and stock tips.
Old 11-06-2009, 11:28 PM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts
Woooo Hoooooo............................

SOUNDS WONDERFUL...............

Oh.. wait a minute. Your's sounds identical to mine. No wonder I like it.

Congratulations on the awesome sound and new-found power
Old 11-07-2009, 12:11 AM
Safety Car

Many folks that install the deletes think that they have an exhaust leak. They hear a tingling sound at idle. That is *no* leak. That is how tube headers sound. I have had real tube headers on my small block chevy motor. And the precat deletes sound just the way that I would expect. Guys, that is no leak. It is the way it is suppose to sound.

Here is how mine sounds. This is a little 60-100 approx blast (approx 1/2 throttle).

My setup =
Precat Deletes --> XLR8 Jpipe --> RV6 Race pipe --> OEM catback(with midmuffler delete)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaXcEPScSqM
Old 11-07-2009, 03:28 AM
Former Sponsor

Innacurate you should look into a catback, it will compliment the other exhaust features nicely.
Old 11-07-2009, 06:14 AM
Green Machine

Originally Posted by Inaccurate
Many folks that install the deletes think that they have an exhaust leak. They hear a tingling sound at idle. That is *no* leak. That is how tube headers sound. I have had real tube headers on my small block chevy motor. And the precat deletes sound just the way that I would expect. Guys, that is no leak. It is the way it is suppose to sound.

Here is how mine sounds. This is a little 60-100 approx blast (approx 1/2 throttle).

My setup =
Precat Deletes --> XLR8 Jpipe --> RV6 Race pipe --> OEM catback(with midmuffler delete)
Thanks for the congrats! I keep up with all your threads. I got the sound that you're referring to with my previous jpipe, but that sound is really emphasized along with the tinny sound. The shop that looked at it also blamed the deletes. Since there is no leak, I blame the jpipe due to higher flow. Don't get me wrong, it performs as you say alright! No arguments there.

Also I would not change your set up at all. Wish I went your route originally; I would have been happier. My car doesn't get to 100 mph nearly as fast as yours!
Old 11-07-2009, 07:22 AM
j1n
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
wow i had no idea that the precat deletes made the car sound like that. i have the XLR8 Jpipe and it does hang super low. i took a look at mine last time i had my car on a lift and it was scraped up pretty good. i only remmeber scraping like 2 times but it looked like i had done it more.

Inaccurate, holy shit your car went from dead quiet to screaming!!!
Old 11-07-2009, 10:36 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
The j-pipe was designed to be an equal length pipe so we had to sacrifice some clearance for flow. Unless you are lowered more than 2" it shouldn't be an issue. The j-pipe hangs about a half inch lower than the subframe but it hangs low where the front wheels are so the car rises up over bumps right where the pipe hangs down.

In terms of sound: the j-pipe really doesn't change the sound. If you have a tinny/raspy sound it's is probably due to the pre-cat deletes, third cat delete or the elimination of the resonator.
Old 11-07-2009, 11:13 AM
Former Sponsor

innacurate got rid of 600 pounds thats why he's so fast.
Old 11-07-2009, 01:03 PM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Check your aero resonator... Its a great resonator... BUT... "Sunny201" came to a lil meet at a shop in the bronx, and as he was on his way he told me something wasn't right about how his car sounded

He's got precat deletes, rv6jpipe testpipe and greddy evo2... After trying to diagnose his problem... And not finding any leaks in his car I jacked it up from the driver side and looked at the muffler... It had seperated slightly at the welds... Too much heat... This is my belief that ur rattle is coming from there
Old 11-07-2009, 01:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
Adding some resonated exhaust tips may quell some of the new rasp. Much of the increase in rasp comes from the tiny flex section, especially if it's unlined and thinner walled exhaust tubing. The Maxima crew refers to that hissy rasp as "the bees in the can".
Old 11-07-2009, 06:02 PM
Green Machine

Originally Posted by stillhere153
Check your aero resonator... Its a great resonator... BUT... "Sunny201" came to a lil meet at a shop in the bronx, and as he was on his way he told me something wasn't right about how his car sounded

He's got precat deletes, rv6jpipe testpipe and greddy evo2... After trying to diagnose his problem... And not finding any leaks in his car I jacked it up from the driver side and looked at the muffler... It had seperated slightly at the welds... Too much heat... This is my belief that ur rattle is coming from there
That's a thought. However it's just too much of a coincidence that this happen after putting the j-pipe on. I will have the muffler shop that installed my resonator check it out.

On another note, I'm really digging the new performance! It makes the power delivery so much smoother and torquey. I don't even have to turn off the VSA for fear of bogging down. This was definitely the missing link.
Old 11-07-2009, 08:29 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Excelerate
In terms of sound: the j-pipe really doesn't change the sound. If you have a tinny/raspy sound it's is probably due to the pre-cat deletes, third cat delete or the elimination of the resonator.
Speaking for just myself, I agree completely. In my case, I installed the XLR8 Jpipe a few weeks before installing the PCD (precat deletes).

The XLR8 Jpipe changed the sound of the car very little. No ting or raspiness at all.

The PCD did change the sound of the car a lot. But, I love the new sound. The PCD did cause a ting sound at idle (which I was expecting), and light rasp when getting into the throttle. But, I like both the ting sound and light rasp. The light rasp lets folks around me that something is afoot. But, I still have the sleeper aspect as long as I don’t get into the throttle.

BTW – the ting is the sound of the exhaust pulse wave hitting the walls of the PCD as the exhaust rushes out of the exhaust port. Real race headers and the PCD have thin-wall pipes. When I say thin walls, I mean in comparison to oem exhaust manifolds, which are extremely thick cast iron that greatly dampens the sound.
Old 11-07-2009, 09:45 PM
6-SPEED LOVER

Received 122 Likes on 90 Posts
whoa
Old 11-08-2009, 06:43 AM
Green Machine

Originally Posted by Excelerate
Speaking for just myself, I agree completely. In my case, I installed the XLR8 Jpipe a few weeks before installing the PCD (precat deletes).

The XLR8 Jpipe changed the sound of the car very little. No ting or raspiness at all.

The PCD did change the sound of the car a lot. But, I love the new sound. The PCD did cause a ting sound at idle (which I was expecting), and light rasp when getting into the throttle. But, I like both the ting sound and light rasp. The light rasp lets folks around me that something is afoot. But, I still have the sleeper aspect as long as I don’t get into the throttle.

BTW – the ting is the sound of the exhaust pulse wave hitting the walls of the PCD as the exhaust rushes out of the exhaust port. Real race headers and the PCD have thin-wall pipes. When I say thin walls, I mean in comparison to oem exhaust manifolds, which are extremely thick cast iron that greatly dampens the sound.
Ok so that we are on the same page here. Last night I was revving for some friends. I understand that there is a raspy sound. As soon as I let off the throttle, that's when you hear the tin rattling sound. Like something is loose. It sounds to me that it is totally different from the rasp.

Again I had the deletes on with the RV6 j-pipe. I had the raspy sounds, but I did not have this tin rattling sound. It's just too much of a coincidence to say it's not the j-pipe.

Last edited by t0talacuratl; 11-08-2009 at 06:45 AM.
Old 11-08-2009, 02:11 PM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts
My setup =

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaXcEPScSqM

very tasty... we need some new bump Sticks
Old 11-08-2009, 04:12 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alright boys, I'm soooooo ready for the PCD's... My set-up is Xlr8 j-pipe and Xlr8 RES-catback system. I still have the Stock 3rd-cat.

I'm a little worried abount rasp and noise if i get the deletes!

Anyone have a video clip with my mods plus the PCD's??
Old 11-08-2009, 04:37 PM
Green Machine

Originally Posted by lowbudgetTL
Alright boys, I'm soooooo ready for the PCD's... My set-up is Xlr8 j-pipe and Xlr8 RES-catback system. I still have the Stock 3rd-cat.

I'm a little worried abount rasp and noise if i get the deletes!

Anyone have a video clip with my mods plus the PCD's??
You are going to get the rasp. I still have my stock 3rd cat with similar set up as yours. I still got rasp. You can't avoid it with the deletes. However I only have it at WOT. If you apply easy throttle, you won't hear it. Just listen to my rev video, that is how mine sounds. My exhaust is a tad more restricted than yours.

As far as the noise, it is only my case. No one else has reported this. Just trying to resolve my experience.
Old 11-08-2009, 05:33 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thx, I gotta go to the store to get my wife a f-in avocado LMAO

I'll listen to ur vid while watchin Football later tonight
Old 11-08-2009, 06:36 PM
practicing nihilist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
What's Up, Adrian!

If you haven't noticed yet, a stone cold engine running through the PCD's will sound like a handful of loose change being dropped down the pipes for about 30 seconds, then it will hit it's idle purr based on setup. That cold start tinny sound was probably your 1st impression.

If you have a lot rattle after warm up I suggest letting the car cool down (a lot), fire it up and feel around the upper PCD welds for a leak (about 3-4" from the upper elbox). I know you got V1's and a couple of us had cracked welds. My rattle-y/induction type noise got louder and louder. Thought it was just my imagination. Had a couple buddies listen under the hood...then one day "Waaaaaahhhh"! Weld finally gave way completely and it sounded like a swamp buggy racer with shotgun pipes coming out of the hood. funny at first, very embarrassing shortly after that.

if it doesn't feel right, keep hunting.
Old 11-08-2009, 08:07 PM
Green Machine

Originally Posted by NedShneebly
What's Up, Adrian!

If you haven't noticed yet, a stone cold engine running through the PCD's will sound like a handful of loose change being dropped down the pipes for about 30 seconds, then it will hit it's idle purr based on setup. That cold start tinny sound was probably your 1st impression.

If you have a lot rattle after warm up I suggest letting the car cool down (a lot), fire it up and feel around the upper PCD welds for a leak (about 3-4" from the upper elbox). I know you got V1's and a couple of us had cracked welds. My rattle-y/induction type noise got louder and louder. Thought it was just my imagination. Had a couple buddies listen under the hood...then one day "Waaaaaahhhh"! Weld finally gave way completely and it sounded like a swamp buggy racer with shotgun pipes coming out of the hood. funny at first, very embarrassing shortly after that.

if it doesn't feel right, keep hunting.
Well to tell you the true Jason, I don't here the tin sound anymore. I was driving all day today, and not a peep. Guess I had to get some carbon build up in there. lol! Still got the rasp though.

BTW, I got V2's. The guy that sold them to me had V1's, but they were replaced by Richie.
Old 11-08-2009, 08:19 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by t0talacuratl
I was revving [the engine]. As soon as I let off the throttle, that's when you hear the tin rattling sound. Like something is loose.
You got an entirely diifferent tingy sound that I was talking about. I never rev mine under no load. So, I can't say if I got this or not.

Have you removed your Half Shaft Heat Sheild yet ?
Old 11-08-2009, 08:25 PM
Green Machine

You got an entirely diifferent tingy sound that I was talking about. I never rev mine under no load. So, I can't say if I got this or not.

Have you removed your Half Shaft Heat Sheild yet ?
Sure did; when I installed the PCD's.
Old 11-08-2009, 08:28 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
I dont like sharing my exhaust setup, for the simple reason of trying to keep it unique being that its custom,
but u wanna clean up ur sound...here's how to do it.. 2 resonators back to back, one the same style and design as the stock resonator, but the size of ur current exhaust piping right in the same place as the stock one (even a simple res will do, dont worry much about all the hype up of these popular companies, and the science they apply to their product) and one high flow resonator 6-10" further downstream (small chambered) <<the kind they stock at muffler shops. and don't run mufflers at all (i hate most mufflers lol)

I have straight through setup, with 0 raspiness, and none of those tingles and whistles. and nothing near unbearable drone!

i shared more than i normally would on this, but im just trying to help
Old 11-08-2009, 08:46 PM
All motor

Received 532 Likes on 395 Posts
Total, that sounds good to me! I know in person it must sound totally different, but damn. That thing moves too. This is getting me to lean to possibly the XLR8 Jpipe instead of going custom, but Idk yet because DAMN that hangs low. Precat deletes are a MUST, I'm so excited to get them.

Inaccurate, your car is a beast. I somehow don't think that was 1/2 throttle tho Lol. It sure sounded full throttle to me. Even being 5AT, that thing really moves. You gotta head to the track and get some timeslips!
Old 11-08-2009, 09:16 PM
Green Machine

Originally Posted by Opel
I dont like sharing my exhaust setup, for the simple reason of trying to keep it unique being that its custom,
but u wanna clean up ur sound...here's how to do it.. 2 resonators back to back, one the same style and design as the stock resonator, but the size of ur current exhaust piping right in the same place as the stock one (even a simple res will do, dont worry much about all the hype up of these popular companies, and the science they apply to their product) and one high flow resonator 6-10" further downstream (small chambered) <<the kind they stock at muffler shops. and don't run mufflers at all (i hate most mufflers lol)

I have straight through setup, with 0 raspiness, and none of those tingles and whistles. and nothing near unbearable drone!

i shared more than i normally would on this, but im just trying to help
Opel, thanks for the advice! I'm starting to like the sound now. The tin sound is gone. Unless I go WOT, it sounds like before. I will consider adding another resonator though. I'm getting too old to have a raspy car....lol!

Originally Posted by Sonnick
Total, that sounds good to me! I know in person it must sound totally different, but damn. That thing moves too. This is getting me to lean to possibly the XLR8 Jpipe instead of going custom, but Idk yet because DAMN that hangs low. Precat deletes are a MUST, I'm so excited to get them.
Thanks Sonnick! The revving video is dead on. The inside run video is quieter than in person. I'm loving the performance! Got a couple of kills to back it up too! If you're not too low, jump on the XLR8 pipe. I've scraped several times already, but nothing bad.

Quick Reply: XLR8 J-pipe install.......Not liking the sound!