Will cold air system help improve mileage?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008 | 11:12 AM
Racer

Wish it was less involved than it is... taking off the bumper then pulling apart the old one seems like a pretty big pain Oh well, maybe one day.
Old 01-06-2008 | 09:06 PM
Northern New Jersey

Originally Posted by darksky
Wish it was less involved than it is... taking off the bumper then pulling apart the old one seems like a pretty big pain Oh well, maybe one day.
You don't have to take the bumper off. Just the driver side wheel and wheel well. This is the same way you would replace or clean the filter.
Old 01-07-2008 | 11:02 AM
Safety Car

marek you have to take the bumper off you have to take the old assembly out. or at least half the bumper but to do it clean without making it look like your damaging the car you take it off. the stock intake pipes on the 3g run through the fender under the chassis by the bumper and then right up to under the battery. theres like 4 bolts you need to take out b4 you can actually pull that assembly out.
Old 01-07-2008 | 12:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Tripnbeats
marek you have to take the bumper off you have to take the old assembly out. or at least half the bumper but to do it clean without making it look like your damaging the car you take it off. the stock intake pipes on the 3g run through the fender under the chassis by the bumper and then right up to under the battery. theres like 4 bolts you need to take out b4 you can actually pull that assembly out.
i have done 2 AEM CAI installs and did not have to take the bumper off for either of them...
Old 01-07-2008 | 09:18 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by KaMLuNg
i have done 2 AEM CAI installs and did not have to take the bumper off for either of them...
+1

You don't have to take the bumper off, just the left wheel and the fender liner. It's not as intense as it may seem just take your time.
Old 01-08-2008 | 08:54 AM
Safety Car

Ok not for nothing but I have a shop where I get a lot of these done more than 1 or 2 Ive done in the past 5 years more than 300..... in various cars not only TL's.....rather than wiggling your hand around and feeling around and not being able to completely see what you're doing you can do it correctly and take the bumper off or even half off.....it takes less than 5 mins with the right tools and the car in the air on a lift or jack. and if you doing it in front of someone you want to make it look like you really care about what your doing not manhandling the bumper and intake trying to yank it out of a small opening.
Old 01-08-2008 | 08:56 AM
Safety Car

but then again everyone has their own way of doing things I just like the super clean way.
Old 01-26-2008 | 10:08 PM
The Kinetics of Bleu

I'd help, but I'm in Florida
It's not that hard, just don't be scared
Old 01-27-2008 | 09:25 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ndabunka
I KNOW the Fujitsu CAI increased my fuel economy by 1 to 2 miles per gallon. I did the install in less than 2 hours in my garage with no special tools AT ALL. Someone on here posted that their car used more fuel @ WOT due to the CAI but I find that VERY difficult to believe because they didn't re-program their ECU (nobody can) and therefore the engine itself CAN NOT deliver more fuel. The ONLY thing you DO get is more air into the system. So, it's better than the K&N in that it is a complete intake, not JUST the air filter (as K&N would be). Therefore, the CAI's are BETTER than just a K&N filter. I also know that nearly everyone who puts on a CAI also makes GENEROUS use of it in that they step on the gas more often. THIS use of the right foot more liberally is what takes more fuel, not the CAI itself. I also put on larger/heavier 19-inch wheels on mine so the fuel economy is pretty much back to stock levels (CAI = better FE, 19-inch wheels = poorer FE. End result = neutral).

One thing I didn't know until this thread was the FE increase by adding the S/C. It makes sense but I never thought of it. My wife is big into saving fuel (Her SUV is one of the Hybrid Highlanders). We went from a 19MPG Lexus GX470 to a 26MPG HiHy. We save around $600/year (at the current $3.00/gallon prices). If I could save 4 MPG by buying the S/C then.....just dreaming here..
I could potentially see a bit more fuel usage at part throttle and cruise, if the ecu is attempting to maintain a 14.7:1 a/f ratio, which it most likely is due to the 5 wire wideband oxygen sensors. However, at WOT, it is most likely using preprogrammed maps for fuel delivery. Then again, the TL ECU may try and maintain a rich condition, and I know when my car was stock it went WAY rich on the top end. If it is trying to maintain that rich of an a/f ratio, then it could feasibly use more fuel at WOT as well. In theory, the a/f should be leaned out a bit at WOT with the CAI due to increased air intake. If you have a preprogrammed amount of fuel being dumped, but increase the amount of air, the cooresponding a/f ratio will be leaner than before. I'll try and get to the dyno this week since I just put the AEM on.

One other thing I was thinking about and didn't know if it would make a difference was dynoing with the VSA on or off. I am going to do 2 pulls to see if there is a difference. Probably not, but the VSA could potentially pull some timing by default to ensure no wheelspin.