Will cold air system help improve mileage?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006 | 02:49 AM
Team Athracite Physician

Will cold air system help improve mileage?

Since everybody is becoming cognizant of how much gas their TLs guzzle, I was wondering if it is worth it to add a cold air system to the car - ie would it help pay for itself.

I saw the thread on the added HP/torque on the dynos but nobody mentioned anything about mileage.

Even if it cost $400 to buy/install, that's like 120 gallons of SoCal gas. If it raised the MPG of the car just 3% it would pay itself off in just a few years.

I have a new 06 5AT BTW - don't know how feasable it is to get a system in there and if it voids any warranties. Anybody have any suggestions?

My driving is most city (LA freeways move slower than surface streets ½ the time), and the rare times the freeway is open I cruise somewhere between 60 and 80.
Old 04-19-2006 | 07:05 AM
Racer

I was wondering this myself. I figured most likely it won't make any difference at all for the car. However I would be more likely to keep your foot in it and probably use MORE gas.
Old 04-19-2006 | 11:01 AM
Instructor

my thought on this, it may help a little, but trust me your foot will be on the gas alot more to hear the sound of the intake scream, so in wrap up it is kind o a catch 22, b/c you get it to help with your mpg problem, but all you do is make it worse by stomping the car.
Old 04-19-2006 | 11:35 AM
I SAID GOOD DAY!!

I know it did a little for my 3gen Eclipse. So i guess it would for the TL's too
Old 04-19-2006 | 11:44 AM
One on the right for me

I havent noticed too much of a change.

People ask the same question when putting new mufflers on their car, and the answer is the same as well - its supposed to increase your mpg but there seems to be a correlation with improving the sound of the car and increased right foot usage.
Old 04-19-2006 | 11:55 AM
I SAID GOOD DAY!!

Originally Posted by subinf
I havent noticed too much of a change.

People ask the same question when putting new mufflers on their car, and the answer is the same as well - its supposed to increase your mpg but there seems to be a correlation with improving the sound of the car and increased right foot usage.
I like thats great
Old 04-19-2006 | 12:03 PM
Racer

A K&N drop in filter would do the trick.
Old 04-19-2006 | 02:12 PM
HEK
Team Nighthawk Mambo King

Originally Posted by jgscott
A K&N drop in filter would do the trick.
My AEM increased the mpg on the highway, at the best when on a trip to Chicago I managed 34 mpg, but in the city I think not since I average 27 mpg ....

Note that the 1st few weeks I used more gas just because I wanted to listen to the intake like someone mention it above, but that has worn off......
Old 04-20-2006 | 01:19 AM
Team Athracite Physician

Thanks for the input. Looks like I'll go ahead and put on a CAI. I was lead footed before I got the TL, so I don't I can press the pedal any further into the carpet :P Plus I crank up the music so the engine sound is bonus rarely experienced by me.

Any input on which one to go with? Looks like the injen one seems to have more risk of hydrolock, and although I know better than to drive through deep water, it still doesn't stop some moron from going flying by an creating a big wave.

Is there anything new coming out around the corner? AEM V2 for the '06 TL? Icebox (not even sure what this is) for the '06 TL? Should I wait?

Suggestions appreciated
Old 04-20-2006 | 01:32 AM
One on the right for me

I have a K&N and am happy with it. I believe you can get the AEM for less though.
Old 04-20-2006 | 08:18 AM
I like to whistle in my

I would say no due to the fact that it increases air flow which = more fuel to combust with air mix. I think they design the stuff from the factory to get the best mileage and still be environment friendly will also of course tryinng to keep the price of the car/ parts reasonable. I just noticed a couple weeks ago that our cars are ULEV and not just LEV. That would explain why they put all those extra cats on it.
Old 04-20-2006 | 08:20 AM
The Boss

Originally Posted by colossus
Since everybody is becoming cognizant of how much gas their TLs guzzle, I was wondering if it is worth it to add a cold air system to the car - ie would it help pay for itself.

I saw the thread on the added HP/torque on the dynos but nobody mentioned anything about mileage.

Even if it cost $400 to buy/install, that's like 120 gallons of SoCal gas. If it raised the MPG of the car just 3% it would pay itself off in just a few years.

I have a new 06 5AT BTW - don't know how feasable it is to get a system in there and if it voids any warranties. Anybody have any suggestions?

My driving is most city (LA freeways move slower than surface streets ½ the time), and the rare times the freeway is open I cruise somewhere between 60 and 80.
Old 04-20-2006 | 08:42 AM
I SAID GOOD DAY!!

Thanks for the input. Looks like I'll go ahead and put on a CAI. I was lead footed before I got the TL, so I don't I can press the pedal any further into the carpet :P Plus I crank up the music so the engine sound is bonus rarely experienced by me.

Any input on which one to go with? Looks like the injen one seems to have more risk of hydrolock, and although I know better than to drive through deep water, it still doesn't stop some moron from going flying by an creating a big wave.

Is there anything new coming out around the corner? AEM V2 for the '06 TL? Icebox (not even sure what this is) for the '06 TL? Should I wait?

Suggestions appreciated
I drove threw a huge puddle w/ my Injen and did not have a problem. But then again I never really had any other intake on my cars before.
Old 04-20-2006 | 09:10 AM
Import and Domestic owner

Before I installed the blower, I had AEM cai, comptech catback, E_Shift procats, UR pulley and NRG voltage regulator. I was always getting 19mpg. After an hour of driving it always went to 19mpg... I always do the same driving everyday to and from in the same areas average. Now that I have the supercharger on it always says 25mpg. I thought it would be worst with the blower on but it turns out that it is not, its better. The other day I drove really good, slow not going in boost at all and it managed to get 32 mpg.
Old 04-20-2006 | 09:21 AM
Racer

[QUOTE=colossus]Thanks for the input. Looks like I'll go ahead and put on a CAI. I was lead footed before I got the TL, so I don't I can press the pedal any further into the carpet :P Plus I crank up the music so the engine sound is bonus rarely experienced by me.

Suggestions appreciated [/QUOTE}

Seriously consider the K&N as the AEM CAI has not been approved by AEM for MY06. More importantly, the staff at K&N are fantastic! I don't think you will go wrong.
Old 04-20-2006 | 10:15 AM
The Boss

If anyone is looking for AEM CAI, should pm me. I will have no use for it after installation of S/C. I'll see the AEM intake for 1/2 price, it's only been used for 6 months.
Old 04-20-2006 | 10:24 AM
Former Sponsor

A cold air intake allows the engine to breath easier and because the engine does not have to work as hard to get the same amount of air into the cylinders then MPG will generally improve. However, after installation of the CAI there is the WOT effect where you enjoy the mod so much that you have the vehicle Wide Open Throttle much of the time, therefore decreasing your gas mileage.

That being said if you need any brand of CAI PM me.
Old 04-21-2006 | 03:25 AM
Team Athracite Physician

Thanks for the info guys. I think I can control my WOT urges. Especially since I only have 150 miles on my baby right now and am in break-in, so that limits my evil. Although I did punch it to 5K RPM on a fast start trying to get around freeway traffic today - hope I didn't hurt it.

My concern now is how hard are these things to install? My car knowledge is minimal. Actually I know a little, but don't really work on my car (too busy with my medical life). My tools are limited to basic drills and wrench, screwdrivers. Any weird tools I need for the AEM kit?

I can perform general surgery but can't changes my own brakes
Old 04-21-2006 | 08:50 AM
Advanced

Install is NOT difficult . . .

Originally Posted by knighj1
my thought on this, it may help a little, but trust me your foot will be on the gas alot more to hear the sound of the intake scream, so in wrap up it is kind o a catch 22, b/c you get it to help with your mpg problem, but all you do is make it worse by stomping the car.

I'm with knighj1 -- my city MPG went WAY down -- highway MPG went up a bit. The in town mileage went down because I just really like the sound and feel with the AEM CAS -- it is really difficult to keep your foot under control when the car sounds so good when it is pushed hard; it will turn a few heads for sure. And if you are not going to "use" the cold air intake for performance-- why bother installing it. I don't think it would ever pay for itself as an enhancement to gas mileage.

On the highway (like a 150+ mile trip) I average about 32 MPG at 70+MPH -- but in the city (where I drive mostly) I only get about 15 MPG at about 19-21 MPH.

The AEM instructions are very clear and easy to follow-- but it is a chore that will take a couple of hours.
Old 04-21-2006 | 03:47 PM
Advanced

stock-28mpg avg running 850 miles each way on the tollroads to and from wisconsin.
AEM CAI & Comptech cat back-28mpg avg running 850 miles each way on the tollroads to and from wisconsin.

both times, cruise control set at 12MPH over the speed limit. same bagage. same driver. no passengers. both times were within a month of eachother. doesn't get more controlled than that!
Old 04-21-2006 | 05:06 PM
One on the right for me

Originally Posted by pufferfish74
stock-28mpg avg running 850 miles each way on the tollroads to and from wisconsin.
AEM CAI & Comptech cat back-28mpg avg running 850 miles each way on the tollroads to and from wisconsin.

both times, cruise control set at 12MPH over the speed limit. same bagage. same driver. no passengers. both times were within a month of eachother. doesn't get more controlled than that!

actually you forgot to control the wind
Old 04-21-2006 | 05:11 PM
Doctor Sarcasm

Suggestions appreciated
No AEM V2 For our TL and no Icebox as of yet.
Old 04-24-2006 | 08:32 AM
Advanced

DAMN! I forgot about the whole wind aspect! I suck!
Old 04-25-2006 | 04:38 AM
Team Athracite Physician

Looks like I'll be putting the AEM on my ride. It doesn't rain that much here in SoCal and I can force myself to be extra careful in the minimal rain we have.

I want to get the Competch RSB too since I do a lot of high-speed turns and fast lane changes (yes, always with my blinkers).

Just need to find a forum member in SoCal who can give me a hand - I'm sure to mess something up :P
Old 05-01-2006 | 10:23 PM
Advanced

hehehe.....me too....i just got the AEM cai but i need helping installing it. i dont even have the tools to put it in......

if anybody wants a free lunch and a good buddy for helping me installing the cai, please contact me.....LOL....i doubt i will get any....
Old 05-01-2006 | 10:27 PM
Doctor Sarcasm

Originally Posted by crzydrifter
hehehe.....me too....i just got the AEM cai but i need helping installing it. i dont even have the tools to put it in......

if anybody wants a free lunch and a good buddy for helping me installing the cai, please contact me.....LOL....i doubt i will get any....
where you at?
Old 05-01-2006 | 10:30 PM
Advanced

Los Angeles, California
Old 05-02-2006 | 01:56 AM
Intermediate

I feel mine burns alot more gas. I dont trust that mpg gauge I used to drive for a week and a half on one tank. Now I can go only about a week it defenently burns alot more gas at WOT. I used to average 340 per tank now I get about 280 and I get on it less. I am seriosly thinking about taking it off.
Old 05-28-2006 | 01:07 AM
TL Loverrrrrrr

Looks like I'll be putting the AEM on my ride. It doesn't rain that much here in SoCal and I can force myself to be extra careful in the minimal rain we have.

I want to get the Competch RSB too since I do a lot of high-speed turns and fast lane changes (yes, always with my blinkers).

Just need to find a forum member in SoCal who can give me a hand - I'm sure to mess something up :P
I can help with Comptech RSB installation. Just installed it myself a few days ago, it is pretty straightforward. Once you get under the car, you would know what to do. As far as AEM CAI, I got one sitting in my garage right now. Debating whether I would have the courage to attempt to install it tomorrow or Monday.
Old 05-28-2006 | 04:12 AM
Team Athracite Physician

Originally Posted by waacow
I can help with Comptech RSB installation. Just installed it myself a few days ago, it is pretty straightforward. Once you get under the car, you would know what to do. As far as AEM CAI, I got one sitting in my garage right now. Debating whether I would have the courage to attempt to install it tomorrow or Monday.
There's a couple places in SoCal that will put in the AEM CAI for cheap so I'll just have them do that. I've got too much medical knowledge crap floating in my head to learn new car stuff

As far the RSB thanks for the offer. Datmrman (also in San Diego like you) and I are probably going to do some backup camera installs. If you could meet up with us and help with the RSB that would be great. I figure if I don't put it on myself I'll get it done when I get the H-techs @ Heeltoe.
Old 05-28-2006 | 10:33 PM
I drive a Subata.

I do live in So Cal. . . but I took my car to my friends body shop for the installation. After witnessing the whole process, I learned that I would never be able to do it by myself

Just take it to shop guys! lol. It's not that expensive!

btw, after installing my CAI, I just can't resist going WOT. . . . I mean. . . improving MPG was not my concern with getting the CAI. . . .
Old 05-29-2006 | 12:04 AM
TL Loverrrrrrr

I read the instruction today and also look at the engine bay. It doesn't seems too hard at all. I probably attempt to do this myself tomorrow.
Old 05-30-2006 | 12:55 PM
Cruisin'

Hello,

I just registered a few minutes ago and would like to say hello to all you fellow Acura drivers. On this issue regarding the CAI, you might want to check out Acuranews.com>2006 Acura TL Powertrain. I'm not sure about the 04 & 05s but it does say that the 06 TL has a cold-air induction system.

aty06tl
Old 05-30-2006 | 01:09 PM
One on the right for me

^-that system will still restrict airflow. putting in a cai will give you a less restrictive filter
Old 12-28-2007 | 01:09 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Excelerate
A cold air intake allows the engine to breath easier and because the engine does not have to work as hard to get the same amount of air into the cylinders then MPG will generally improve. However, after installation of the CAI there is the WOT effect where you enjoy the mod so much that you have the vehicle Wide Open Throttle much of the time, therefore decreasing your gas mileage.

That being said if you need any brand of CAI PM me.
I was trying to PM you Excelerate but it says I have insufficient privlages. I had some questions about buying some upgrades.
Old 12-28-2007 | 01:13 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by sistm
I was trying to PM you Excelerate but it says I have insufficient privlages. I had some questions about buying some upgrades.
email him:
sales@excelerateperformance.com
Old 12-28-2007 | 02:04 PM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

I KNOW the Fujitsu CAI increased my fuel economy by 1 to 2 miles per gallon. I did the install in less than 2 hours in my garage with no special tools AT ALL. Someone on here posted that their car used more fuel @ WOT due to the CAI but I find that VERY difficult to believe because they didn't re-program their ECU (nobody can) and therefore the engine itself CAN NOT deliver more fuel. The ONLY thing you DO get is more air into the system. So, it's better than the K&N in that it is a complete intake, not JUST the air filter (as K&N would be). Therefore, the CAI's are BETTER than just a K&N filter. I also know that nearly everyone who puts on a CAI also makes GENEROUS use of it in that they step on the gas more often. THIS use of the right foot more liberally is what takes more fuel, not the CAI itself. I also put on larger/heavier 19-inch wheels on mine so the fuel economy is pretty much back to stock levels (CAI = better FE, 19-inch wheels = poorer FE. End result = neutral).

One thing I didn't know until this thread was the FE increase by adding the S/C. It makes sense but I never thought of it. My wife is big into saving fuel (Her SUV is one of the Hybrid Highlanders). We went from a 19MPG Lexus GX470 to a 26MPG HiHy. We save around $600/year (at the current $3.00/gallon prices). If I could save 4 MPG by buying the S/C then.....just dreaming here..
Old 01-02-2008 | 01:21 PM
Racer

Thanks for the info guys. I think I can control my WOT urges. Especially since I only have 150 miles on my baby right now and am in break-in, so that limits my evil. Although I did punch it to 5K RPM on a fast start trying to get around freeway traffic today - hope I didn't hurt it.

My concern now is how hard are these things to install? My car knowledge is minimal. Actually I know a little, but don't really work on my car (too busy with my medical life). My tools are limited to basic drills and wrench, screwdrivers. Any weird tools I need for the AEM kit?

I can perform general surgery but can't changes my own brakes
Here is a video on installing a CAI. It can be found on the main page of the 3G forum.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169110
Old 01-02-2008 | 01:34 PM
Safety Car

it'll improve it if you drive normally but since vtec sounds so nasty u always want to hear it...so you hit the gas harder n burn more.
Old 01-05-2008 | 04:27 PM
Northern New Jersey

I have had the AEM CAI on for about 5 months now and gas mileage seemed to stay the same. Maybe even a bit worse. However the sound alone is sure worth it. I live in a flood zone so I have to be careful, however so far no issues.

Quick Reply: Will cold air system help improve mileage?