What is a dry flow filter for AEM CAI?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007 | 07:34 PM
think + rest will follow

What is a dry flow filter for AEM CAI?

Hello everyone, I just purchased a new AEM CAI for my 05 tl AT on ebay. In the box there is everything but I am confused about the filter. The filter looks like it made of paper. Is this dry flow filter or not? My friend drives 04, nissan 350Z, he has Injen CAI but he is runnig a short ram intake. His car filter looks like it made of steel or something, it is hard when you touch it. He told me that your filter looks cheap and it will not last you for a long time. He also told me that that you should run a SRI becasue of the rain otherwise you car will h20. I live in Columbus, OH and I didn't care for the rain since it don't pour a lot here. Is my friend telling me truth or what? I am a car NOOB and don't know anything about it. so please help me.
Old 05-08-2007 | 07:52 PM
.43g at 900+fps

your friend has no idea what he is talking about. the aem dryflow is a very good filter. and don't worry about the rain. in order to hydrostatic lock your engine, you have to submerge the filter. so unless you plan on driving through any lakes or streams, don't worry about it.

ps- the aem dryflow filter has been brutally tested at the baja 1000. while everyone else had to carry spare filters, the aem dryflow made the whole run on one filter. do some research before you listen to your numbnuts friend. the internet is a powerful weapon
Old 05-08-2007 | 10:57 PM
.:KCCO:.

uhm ya, ur friend is not a smart one. he does not know what he is talking about.

in fact, i have an injen cai, i purchased the aem dryflow filter awhile ago after doing some research on it online. your aem dryflow is far superior to his injen one. have him read this thread so you can stick it to his face and tell him not to worry cause he can buy the right size aem dryflow and put it on his injen SRI. you can do him a favor and point him towards a place to purchase it as well...

the dryflow filters out more particles of dirt and breathes slighter better then his.

this comes from someone who owns an injen CAI...

btw, i think you meant to say that your friend has a short ram intake (SRI) and not a cold air intake (CAI)
Old 05-08-2007 | 11:15 PM
think + rest will follow

Originally Posted by ayethetiense
uhm ya, ur friend is not a smart one. he does not know what he is talking about.

in fact, i have an injen cai, i purchased the aem dryflow filter awhile ago after doing some research on it online. your aem dryflow is far superior to his injen one. have him read this thread so you can stick it to his face and tell him not to worry cause he can buy the right size aem dryflow and put it on his injen SRI. you can do him a favor and point him towards a place to purchase it as well...

the dryflow filters out more particles of dirt and breathes slighter better then his.

this comes from someone who owns an injen CAI...

btw, i think you meant to say that your friend has a short ram intake (SRI) and not a cold air intake (CAI)
thanks a lot ayethetiense and jdmspec333 I really appreciate it for the replies. I almost going return the aem cai back and gonna get the K&n cai but after I read you replies I changed my mind. You guys are very helpful. Now I only need is Install CAI in my car. I just don't know how to do it, I know that I received the instruction with it and it looks very simple but I didn't do this kind of stuff before so I am scared. Is any one living here in Columbus, OHIO can help me here. thanks
Old 05-09-2007 | 01:23 AM
.:KCCO:.

try to see if someone who knows what they are doing can help you. you should def do it urself tho. that way, you can learn about the car and have some hands on experience. that is the only way you can get some confidence to do other projects in the future.

im glad you are in this forum. this is exactly what forums are for. come and ask questions and learn about other peoples experiences about certain products.

seems that you do not frequent this too much tho. you joined in dec of 05 and have only had about 12 posts.

use the search feature and you should be able to find some tips and pics on installing the CAI.
Old 05-11-2007 | 12:04 AM
King of NYC

I agree that this is a project that seems daunting at first but it's definitely DIY for the novice and doesn't require more than 5 tools. Just take your time, it may take 3-4 hrs. It is a good project to get good hands on experience and you can step up to bigger projects in the future with confidence.

Any mod you do yourself will give you 100x more satisfaction, that's what this hobby is all about. If you send your car to the shop I guarantee that 1) you will get bored with your car/mods more quickly and 2) if something goes wrong you won't know where to start to fix it. And always look for advice from these guys. Always honest and less biased. Good luck.
Old 05-11-2007 | 12:28 AM
Suzuka Master

^^^
Old 05-11-2007 | 02:54 PM
Drifting

It took me and my buddy 2 hours to install mine. And everyone is right- do it yourself ( I'm not mechanically inclined ) it feels great when you start it up the first time. Just take it easy, and you'll do fine.
Old 05-11-2007 | 03:10 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by rockyfeller
Any mod you do yourself will give you 100x more satisfaction, that's what this hobby is all about. If you send your car to the shop I guarantee that 1) you will get bored with your car/mods more quickly and 2) if something goes wrong you won't know where to start to fix it. And always look for advice from these guys. Always honest and less biased. Good luck.
This is SO TRUE!