VSA vs. Racelogic traction control ???

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 12:21 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VSA vs. Racelogic traction control ???

Would the Racelogic traction control system offer any performance advantage over the stock VSA in a 2006 TL 5A/T?? Is there much difference in the way they function? Would this be an easy install?

Thanks,

aarmd
Old 10-09-2008, 12:22 AM
I have car ADD

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
what the hell is race-logic?
Old 10-09-2008, 12:56 AM
SlammedOnKonis

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
says:

http://www.racelogic.co.uk/
Old 10-09-2008, 01:59 AM
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
intresting....
Old 10-09-2008, 02:49 AM
I have car ADD

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
ah i just saw the one for sale in the BM.
honestly, i wouldnt start messing with that... especially if its your DD, or you drive w/ precious carge (wife, kids etc.etc)

seems risky
Old 10-09-2008, 05:39 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Just learn how to drive the car right. You can run rings around a computer with practice. Ask any pro driver or driving instructor and they will tell you the same. It's an auto 258hp FWD car for God's sake.
Old 10-09-2008, 11:14 PM
10th Gear

So I take it that you drive with the VSA turned off??

I actually asked this question with safety, not speed, in mind.

Does anyone have experience with the Racelogic system??

aarmd
Old 10-09-2008, 11:19 PM
SlammedOnKonis

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
What's the difference between the two in layman's terms?
Old 10-24-2008, 04:49 PM
Intermediate

yeah looks great but did you look at the price tag on that? and do you really "rally" your car that much to make the money spent worthwhile?
Old 10-24-2008, 06:01 PM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by I hate cars
Just learn how to drive the car right. You can run rings around a computer with practice. Ask any pro driver or driving instructor and they will tell you the same. It's an auto 258hp FWD car for God's sake.
dunno if I agree... the gtr is all computer and its a monster
Old 10-25-2008, 09:55 AM
13.2@ 107 on Street tires

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
stock autos dont have traction issues...and vsa does a great job when it comes to stability control
Old 10-25-2008, 11:35 AM
Intermediate

Im not sure which "stock" 5AT car your talking about but im pretty sure that most will agree that the Type S has a boat load of traction issues! under hard acceleration the car just spins with VSA off and with it on you cant get anywhere near a decent launch with out the VSA cutting throttle.
Old 10-25-2008, 03:41 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by stillhere153
dunno if I agree... the gtr is all computer and its a monster
Splitting the torque front and rear on an AWD car is fine.

ABS and stability control only hinder performance on a racetrack with a good driver.

I just did $10,000 worth of damage to my TL because of an ABS induced brake failure on a washboard road.

This stuff is fine for when my girlfriend drives my car but if I were the only one that was driving, it would be without ABS and stability control.

If everyone was forced to take a real driving course as in learning proper braking and skid control, these electronic gadgets wouldn't be on cars. They are nothing more than a band-aid for people that can't drive.

With that said, I'm glad cars have these features for 99% of the people out there.
Old 10-25-2008, 03:49 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by COEHSP
Im not sure which "stock" 5AT car your talking about but im pretty sure that most will agree that the Type S has a boat load of traction issues! under hard acceleration the car just spins with VSA off and with it on you cant get anywhere near a decent launch with out the VSA cutting throttle.
That's what the pedal on the right is for. If you know your car, you know how much pedal to give it and how quickly to feed it full throttle. It's 280hp, it's not hard to hold down. The TL is not some burnout monster that will light the tires on accident. I test drove both the manual and auto Type S when I was thinking about getting a new one and with the auto version I could give it full throttle in first gear with no spinning. If I purposely stomped it to the floor from a dead stop, it spun a little but what do you expect?
Old 10-25-2008, 06:18 PM
practicing nihilist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
That's what the pedal on the right is for. If you know your car, you know how much pedal to give it and how quickly to feed it full throttle. It's 280hp, it's not hard to hold down. The TL is not some burnout monster that will light the tires on accident. I test drove both the manual and auto Type S when I was thinking about getting a new one and with the auto version I could give it full throttle in first gear with no spinning. If I purposely stomped it to the floor from a dead stop, it spun a little but what do you expect?

concur. I grew up with front wheel drive imports (mostly VW's) and the gas was always to the floor. Now, it wasn't always the smartest way, but you learned a cars limit pretty quickly.

These days I scoff at those STI's blowing by me on the highway but I prefer to drive with the VSA off.
Old 10-30-2008, 11:46 PM
'03 ABP YA4-S 6MT

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Splitting the torque front and rear on an AWD car is fine.

ABS and stability control only hinder performance on a racetrack with a good driver.

I just did $10,000 worth of damage to my TL because of an ABS induced brake failure on a washboard road.

This stuff is fine for when my girlfriend drives my car but if I were the only one that was driving, it would be without ABS and stability control.

If everyone was forced to take a real driving course as in learning proper braking and skid control, these electronic gadgets wouldn't be on cars. They are nothing more than a band-aid for people that can't drive.

With that said, I'm glad cars have these features for 99% of the people out there.
then why is it that F1 removed stability control this season? and lap times are 3-4 seconds slower than before? you can easily see that the rear end on the cars kick out a lot more this season as well.
Old 10-31-2008, 07:45 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by rp_guy
then why is it that F1 removed stability control this season? and lap times are 3-4 seconds slower than before? you can easily see that the rear end on the cars kick out a lot more this season as well.
F1 technology being compared to street car technology. I don't watch F1 so I have no idea if the rear kicks out more or not and I'm sure you haven't tallied up the numbers before and after traction control.

Why is it that all the hardcore dragracers, especially the Vette guys go much faster without traction control on?

Why is it that in my own measured tests, I have stopped my TL quicker with no ABS than with it over and over again on the same road in the same spot on the same day.

Stability control for cornering is still open. I don't necessarily think it hurts performance as long as it doesn't interfere with placing the car on the track using throttle. It really depends on how intrusive it is.

One thing is for sure, the TL's traction control is very conservative, pulling massive amounts of throttle and then putting it back in way too slow. Not a bad thing since it's designed to stop wheelspin, not cut a great 60' time at the track.

It's ABS hinders braking performance in good conditions although after installing DOT 5.1 (thinner) brake fluid it seems to keep it more on the "edge" of lockup.

It's not RWD so the stability control doesn't bother me.

I'll say again, these electronic gadgets are great for people who can't drive. I feel better knowing they are there for when the girlfriend drives the car.
Old 10-31-2008, 07:51 PM
A Black TL

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, the car sure will stop faster with abs off. But then again, it could lock ur brakes up and cause u to lose control. I guess most people still didn't know that.
Old 10-31-2008, 08:14 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by TL|GTX
Well, the car sure will stop faster with abs off. But then again, it could lock ur brakes up and cause u to lose control. I guess most people still didn't know that.
It's called modulation and is sort of what ABS does for you but a skilled human can get the tires closer to the edge of traction than ABS can.

If you do lock a tire, you back off the pedal a little and get back on it. Even if you stomp the pedal to the floor hard and lock all 4 tires, you again let off the brakes and do whatever steering corrections are necessary. It's easy.
Old 10-31-2008, 08:30 PM
'03 ABP YA4-S 6MT

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
F1 technology being compared to street car technology. I don't watch F1 so I have no idea if the rear kicks out more or not and I'm sure you haven't tallied up the numbers before and after traction control.

Why is it that all the hardcore dragracers, especially the Vette guys go much faster without traction control on?
your arguments were not for traction control on the dragstrip, but yes it's pretty obvious that at the strip you wouldn't want tc activating.

Why is it that in my own measured tests, I have stopped my TL quicker with no ABS than with it over and over again on the same road in the same spot on the same day.
abs was never designed for quicker stopping. it was so that the average driver who stomped on the brakes during a slide would still have control of the vehicle to make a (somewhat) quick avoidance manouver. you are right about the longer distances, as it has been proven by other tests, but that was not the design of abs.

Stability control for cornering is still open. I don't necessarily think it hurts performance as long as it doesn't interfere with placing the car on the track using throttle. It really depends on how intrusive it is.
depends on the manufacturer. obviously BMW and porsche and the corvette have certain modes (competition on the corvette) that allow for more oversteer before correcting.

One thing is for sure, the TL's traction control is very conservative, pulling massive amounts of throttle and then putting it back in way too slow. Not a bad thing since it's designed to stop wheelspin, not cut a great 60' time at the track.
can't comment, i don't have tc on my car

It's ABS hinders braking performance in good conditions although after installing DOT 5.1 (thinner) brake fluid it seems to keep it more on the "edge" of lockup.

It's not RWD so the stability control doesn't bother me.

I'll say again, these electronic gadgets are great for people who can't drive. I feel better knowing they are there for when the girlfriend drives the car.
i was only disagreeing with your original statement that *all* stability programs hindered performance. that just simply isn't the case.
Old 10-31-2008, 10:21 PM
Team Owner

I agree with pretty much all of that. One thing to point out is most people think ABS reduces stopping distances. I know why it was designed, for the people who stomp the brakes as hard as they can and turn the wheel as quick as they can at the same time. So my argument stands that it's a band-aid for poor driving skill. And again, I admit it's great for the general population.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:54 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 281 Likes on 190 Posts
I disagree about modern ABS not stopping in shorter distances, at least on high traction surfaces, such as a dry paved road. ABS has been around since 78, and it has improved dramatically in those 30 years. It will tend to increase stopping distances in icy or wet conditions, and gravel roads.

I think you tend to underestimate today's technology and overestimate your own capabilities, as well as lend too much credence to your anecdotal tests.

Unfortunately, as with most situations where capabilities are overestimated, if anything negative were to happen, it would be due to circumstances beyond your control, and not due to either lack of skill, or not having ABS.
Old 11-03-2008, 09:53 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by screaminz28
I disagree about modern ABS not stopping in shorter distances, at least on high traction surfaces, such as a dry paved road. ABS has been around since 78, and it has improved dramatically in those 30 years. It will tend to increase stopping distances in icy or wet conditions, and gravel roads.

I think you tend to underestimate today's technology and overestimate your own capabilities, as well as lend too much credence to your anecdotal tests.

Unfortunately, as with most situations where capabilities are overestimated, if anything negative were to happen, it would be due to circumstances beyond your control, and not due to either lack of skill, or not having ABS.
You're saying this based off of your own theory when I have gone out and done tests that prove otherwise. Do I believe some guy on the internet over my own tests?

You have this backwards, ABS will hinder dry braking performance assuming a good driver but has the potential to help wet braking performance.

Saying I'm overestimating my driving skill is based on what, your opinion? I've driven a 10 second car for nearly half my life, many times on street tire and for many years my daily driver with no accidents, spins, or close calls. And this is without electronic band-aids like ABS and stability control. I must be doing something right. Your entire post is based in assumption.
Old 11-03-2008, 10:17 AM
Engineer and Machinist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
why the hell would you try to race a stock fwd car... automatic at that?