The Ultimate Cooling Mod

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 10:19 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Inaccurate
I Hate Cars,

Here is the DIY (untested) for making both fans run continuously without gaining access to the ecu. It seems that my first instructions were a bit inaccurate (pun, haha). Only one wire (B10 FANH Green) needs to be grounded (not two wires that I had thought).

In the pic below, please see the red-colored ground symbol that I added to illustrate the goal. The goal is to use a typical gauge wire (16-18 ga.?) as a jumper, splice the jumper into the relay socket wire (green wire, socket 4), and send the other end of the jumper to chassis ground.

In the pic below, please see the red arrow that points to the relay that has the "B10 FANH Green" wire on it's #4 terminal.

By the way, here is the Ultimate Cooling Mod for Dogs

BTW and again off subject this process is how i thought one might easily stop fuel cut from occuring ... ecu cuts ground to second relay ...splice ground from first to secon ground remains uninterupted
Old 03-22-2012, 04:44 AM
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts
Solution for retaining clean cabin air flow?

I know i'm a few years late, but i'm barely getting to do a modified version of the UCM

Would it be possible to run a duct from the cabin air inlet straight to the front grille? we don't need the mass air from the grille for the radiator; it's overkill. The huge grilles seen in most "performance" cars is there for cosmetics. The radiator doesn't need that much ram air on a N/A car; the UCM would be the better solution to keep the engine cool.

Would it be difficult to run an "intake" from the cabin air inlet to the front grille (or somewhere closer to the front of the car)? I haven't taken the cowl off yet so i'm not sure if there's anything directly in the way when going the mini UCM route, but this is definitely a viable option for the full UCM to get clean air into the cabin.
Old 03-22-2012, 06:17 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 20,014 Likes on 14,518 Posts
You could...but I think you'd be better served finding a way to route it to your intake than your AC. Just my opinion...plus, you'd have an extra ugly duct running through your engine bay.
Old 03-22-2012, 12:23 PM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
Well why run the duct ??? am i missing something....there are couple components you are missing here....

1> if the radiator doesnt need sooo much air cover the front like the Lexus hybrid or the Toyota Hybrid....or any hybrid....
2> The UCM will keep the bay cool and if you remove the crowl you will see the cabin air filter....below that is your HVAC which you will need if you are keeping your AC...

so if you want to run a hose from the grille to the cabin air filter it wont do any good....

finally you can just delete the AC and run this:
Originally Posted by vill0169
So here's a quick little project I did today and yesterday fill the pretty large hole caused by the removal of the climate control system.

I basically just filled over the hole with a few layers of fiber glass and connected a 3 inch duct pipe thing to it to direct air at the me while driving on the track. It's commonly seen on race cars and for the cost and weight involved, it's an easy thing to throw on in my mind.

Here's a nice example on an older Porsche cup car

Here's how the hole started out. both from the top and the bottom. It's a fairly large hole and creates a pretty nice breeze through the car at speed. I'm simply just harnessing and directing that breeze and the driver instead of just filling the cabin with it.

Here it is with the fiberglass over it. I'll admit its not my best work but it's so tight in there it was hard to make it perfect but it'll function without question.

Here's is the "almost" finished product. Just need to permanently attach the duct hose to the cover and we'll be good to go but you get the idea. Duct tape is only temporary.

haven't tested her out yet but I have no doubt it'll be better than nothing lol

Thoughts?
Old 03-22-2012, 02:01 PM
runnin a little boost

Received 256 Likes on 208 Posts
I just covered my fresh air intake and put the hvac on recirculate. I used real metal duct tape to cover it which is holding up well and is about two years old. I miss the fresh air sometimes during the winter when it rains because of fogging, but other than that it hasn't changed the feel of the car. Once I got use to the look of the missing cowl, I rarely notice it and when I do it looks good to me. For those running FI or with serious heat issues the full UCM is recommended, since little screens can't provide the cooling that an unobstructed path will.
Old 03-22-2012, 03:09 PM

^^^ any reason why you covered up the cabin air filter area ???

i am running the UCM without the crowl and i still have the cabin air filter....it doesnt get wet at all....and it does rain in KS.....
Old 03-22-2012, 03:29 PM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts
Originally Posted by swoosh

any reason why you covered up the cabin air filter area ???
Speaking just for myself, I taped mine closed for the reassurance of keeping dry. Peace of mind.

BTW - I run with no hvac filter. Better flowrate and lighter weight. I know about clogging the evaporator fins with dust, but my car lives a sheltered life (no passengers, windows always closed, no cloth interior, etc) and I am willing to risk clogging the fins. This is that commitment to the Diet that I keep mentioning..... a willingness to take risk and make sacrifices.

Originally Posted by Hi speed

during the winter when it rains because of fogging,
Doesn't using the Defrost mode should solve this, even with the fresh air blocked off? I have never had a problem that Defrost couldn't solve... and I am in a high-humidity area year round.
Old 03-22-2012, 03:48 PM

^^^ I thought you had taped yours.....

but how heavy is the filter anyway
Old 03-22-2012, 03:55 PM
Safety Car

^^^ I thought you had taped yours.....

but how heavy is the filter anyway
I have the metal tape covering the air entrance in the cowl (as I have pictured somewhere in this thread).

the air filter weight.... it is the thought of it that bugged me. I can live without it, so out it goes. I then feel better. Did I ever mention that this could turn into a disease or addiction?
Old 03-22-2012, 04:06 PM

^^^
Old 03-22-2012, 06:13 PM
1st 3g Turbo TL-S

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Well why run the duct ??? am i missing something....there are couple components you are missing here....

1> if the radiator doesnt need sooo much air cover the front like the Lexus hybrid or the Toyota Hybrid....or any hybrid....
2> The UCM will keep the bay cool and if you remove the crowl you will see the cabin air filter....below that is your HVAC which you will need if you are keeping your AC...

so if you want to run a hose from the grille to the cabin air filter it wont do any good....

finally you can just delete the AC and run this:
i'm so lost, what is this for? it looks like its in the trunk?
Inaccurate i may need you to come down and just do it all for me, lol
Old 03-22-2012, 06:33 PM

When you take the crowl out for the UCM, the cabin filter is exposed....so you have 2 options....

1> tape it off and never use it again
2> do like Rex (villo) did....you tape the cabin air filter "duct" off leaving only a little room for a pipe which runs inside the cabin....and "blows" air in ya face LOL....
Old 03-22-2012, 06:43 PM
AZ Track Whore

Received 298 Likes on 212 Posts
You gotta have something if you're doing summer track days at Road Atlanta. It works wonders for me, especially on the back straight! lol
Old 03-27-2012, 10:26 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i do like the shark mouth might try that out
Old 05-21-2012, 05:00 PM
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
I'm about to hack my Acura lol

I was tripping out today when I thought I heard a gush of wind through the opening, anyone else experience that?

Name:  CowlessTL.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  48.7 KB
Old 05-21-2012, 10:53 PM
Safety Car

^ You did the Full Version UCM? Awesome.

My car is so loud (stripped interior, loud exhaust, etc) that I wouldn't be able to hear any wind noise. But if you do hear rushing wind, this would be a great thing in my opinion.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:02 AM
Pro

^^^I've taken it all off (lol) but will be modifying the cowl and putting it back on. Since it's warm out here I just left everything off including the wipers and have some time to tactfully plan my attack on the cowl. I'm planning out a drill pattern for best air flow while keeping the fresh air in tact with an OEM-like look. I'll post some pictures of what I'd like to do hopefully on Thursday.

Has anyone tried heating up an exacto knife to cut through the inner plastic portion? I don't have a dremel but do have a few drills.

I got a little excited after hearing that gush of wind that sounded like a swoosh :gheylaugh: and thought "wow, is that from the windsheild". I was changing lanes and about to brake. I think I just caught a gust of wind perfectly. I've never heard that sound before in the TL and do listen to quite a bit of talk radio without loud music.

It wasn't very hot out today but I didn't hear the fan come on at all.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:13 AM

There's a whole other thread dedicated to the "baby" version of this mod...
Here's mine...recently resanded down the brown plastic and hit with plastidip...
I also opened up all the ports from the under side to route the air.
Name:  20120513_092732.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  381.2 KB
Old 05-22-2012, 10:45 AM

did someone call my name ???
Old 05-22-2012, 01:30 PM
The Track Terror

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Last edited by the fenda rolla; 05-22-2012 at 01:33 PM.
Old 05-22-2012, 05:44 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by rockstar143
There's a whole other thread dedicated to the "baby" version of this mod...
Here's mine...recently resanded down the brown plastic and hit with plastidip...
I also opened up all the ports from the under side to route the air.
I read through this thread and did see your baby or bastardized version. I'm planning to drill a bunch of holes on top so I'll be performing something similar.

As for the fresh air intake, I'm gonna leave the last few sections of the passenger side closed and hope to direct air flow away from that area with the logic that air will exit towards the path of least resistance.

I figure if I get either the PCD or HFPC, there is an increased chance of more fumes in the engine bay that can make it over to the fresh air intake. My fresh air intake is always on.

did someone call my name ???
haha, I was thinking how to describe the sound and your SN fit the bill perfectly.
The following users liked this post:
Inaccurate (05-22-2012)
Old 05-22-2012, 06:29 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Hacura

baby or bastardized version.
Thank you sir
Old 05-22-2012, 07:40 PM
Racer

I've had the full UCM on for a little over a month now, so I thought I would share my experiences.

Let me first say, BE CAREFUL WHEN REMOVING THE WINDSHIELD WIPERS. I cracked my beautiful windshield while removing mine, and I know i'm not the first person on here who has done this. This mod was NOT free for me Flood the sucker with WD-40 and keep flooding the area if it doesn't come off. Keep clear of your elbows and avoid putting any pressure on the windshield. That little sucker isn't as strong as I thought.

During the first two days without the cowl, my MID read 34mpg average My usual mpg is around 28-29mpg. A few days later I reset the MID and it went back to reading 28-29mpg maybe the lower temps threw the ecu off? Anybody have input on this?

I must say though, the hood of my car is MUCH cooler after my commute; there is no doubt that heat is escaping the engine bay at a much faster rate than at stock.

I definitely have more wind noise now, but i'm not sure if that's due to the cowl removal or due to the new (oem) windshield. The noise isn't obnoxious, but noise from the windshield is definitely more pronounced.

I'm eventually planning to cut up the cowl for a less visually noticeable version of the cooling mod, but until I find a design that suits me i'll continue to rock the full cowl removal.

Finally, onto PERFORMANCE
Maybe I just got used to it? I honestly don't feel any performance gain and my car still feels sluggish from time to time lol. However, in theory, a cooler engine bay should allow for cooler MAF temp readings and better timing, no? I'll just keep the mod to feel better about myself haha

Last edited by lumyeinjun; 05-22-2012 at 07:42 PM.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:15 PM
Safety Car

lumyeinjun,

Thanks for the feedback. Sorry to hear that your car is still sluggish periodically.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:48 PM

Hmmm....honestly, it's all about the angle that you lift the wipers and lift directly straight up...it was ridiculous how hard it was until you get the right angle.
Sucks that you had to get your windshield replaced!
Old 05-22-2012, 11:33 PM
Pro

I agree with the angle on the wipers. What helped me was to see a picture of the tapered setting the wiper arm sat on below the threads. This allowed me to understand it required not just angle force but multi-angular force as well. Once I got the first one off, the second was a cinch. I'm sure a little spray of the PB blaster helped. Spray WD or PB and let it marinate for 5-10 minutes.

I sorta like the look of the fully removed cowl for now...it makes me feel like I actually know what I'm doing and am part of some secret elite club.
Old 05-22-2012, 11:43 PM

^^^ the angle is EVERYTHING !!!

i went from 3 spacers under the hood to 6....the height of the hood (hood pop) increased from 3mm to 6mm....and there i saw that the car was not sluggish anymore....Randy try that !!!
Old 05-22-2012, 11:54 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Hacura

I sorta like the look of the fully removed cowl for now...it makes me feel like I actually know what I'm doing and am part of some secret elite club.
The Few, The Proud, The Unbastardized UCM Club
The following users liked this post:
maharajamd (05-23-2012)
Old 05-23-2012, 12:16 AM
Safety Car

^^^ the angle is EVERYTHING !!!

i went from 3 spacers under the hood to 6....the height of the hood (hood pop) increased from 3mm to 6mm....and there i saw that the car was not sluggish anymore....Randy try that !!!
I highly doubt that. He is running the Full Version UCM. The Full Version UCM produces a huge, huge, huge ass gap. I don't see the angle having any bearing.

For you [swoosh], I can see the spacers helping because you are running a bastardized (ineffective) version of the UCM. You said that your spacers are 2mm washers. If so, the Full Version UCM is equal to 35 spacers.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:25 AM

am not running the bastardized version....am running the 3/4 UCM

i dont really use my windshield washers in the summer but need them during the winter, ICE is my enemy....so i might keep the 3/4 ucm....
Old 05-23-2012, 12:48 PM

...I'm hurt...
Old 05-23-2012, 12:52 PM
Race Director

Received 1,544 Likes on 1,197 Posts
I'd love to see some actual tests with the different versions of the UCM. Like wind tunnel type tests...

There has to be a way to have the best of both worlds.
Old 05-23-2012, 12:53 PM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
going to the track friday. removing the cowl and back seats.
wish me luck!
Old 05-23-2012, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Maharajamd
I'd love to see some actual tests with the different versions of the UCM. Like wind tunnel type tests...

now dont flame me....

i tested it at the wand wash

got the hood angle to a point where:

1> No water will enter the cabin air filter....that area remains dry
2> the angle makes the car a little more aerodynamic "in my opinion" the water was getting on the windshield a lot more easier at a higher hood pop than it was at stock height....

again am not expert, my test are no genius test....am just a fool with a high power water wand
Old 05-23-2012, 01:48 PM
AZ Track Whore

Received 298 Likes on 212 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace
going to the track friday. removing the cowl and back seats.
wish me luck!
Man justin my thread misses you! I thought I read somewhere else you hitting up a drag strip right?

The Few, The Proud, The Unbastardized UCM Club
Until you have holes in your hood, you'll always have a bastardized UCM!!!!
The following 3 users liked this post by vill0169:
Inaccurate (05-23-2012), justnspace (05-24-2012), rockstar143 (05-24-2012)
Old 05-24-2012, 05:21 PM
Racer

lumyeinjun,

Thanks for the feedback. Sorry to hear that your car is still sluggish periodically.
no problem, but my findings are all subjective so who knows. It may be helping me but I just don't realize it because I've had the mod for so long already haha.

Originally Posted by rockstar143
Hmmm....honestly, it's all about the angle that you lift the wipers and lift directly straight up...it was ridiculous how hard it was until you get the right angle.
Sucks that you had to get your windshield replaced!
Yup, I realized that after I got the first wiper off I left the WD-40 on there for 15 minutes and still couldn't get it off! But magically after I cracked the windshield, wiper arm #1 came loose and I realized how to easily take the second arm off

Originally Posted by Maharajamd

Wind tunnel testing costs thousands of dollars!!!

Oh and I forgot to add:
I don't "smell" anything different with the UCM even when i'm receiving fresh air

This doesn't mean that i'm not breathing in toxic air though haha. I hear that lead acid batteries need ventilation because they give off something (fumes? radiation?) harmful to humans; better get my braille battery soon for the sake of my health!

edit: gluck, justin!

Last edited by lumyeinjun; 05-24-2012 at 05:24 PM.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:30 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
^^^^maybe time for a dry cell
Old 05-24-2012, 07:50 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Opel
^^^^maybe time for a dry cell
Yeah I'm due for a new battery soon; still on the original OEM battery that came with my car when I purchased it in 2008 haha I'd better replace it soon!

I think a AGM VRLA battery like the Braille B2317 "no-weight" battery should be fine, yes? It still has some volatile gas, but not as much as a flooded lead-acid battery. I highly recommend anybody running the UCM who hasn't blocked off the cabin air inlet to run a battery other than flooded lead-acid (i.e. dry cell, AGM, lithium-ion). I can't explain the science behind it because honestly I don't really understand it, but just to be safe, you know?

It seems like the best (compromise between lightest weight, reliability and value for the money) choice for me since my type-s is my daily driver and i'm located in sunny Southern California. I don't have the guts or funds to go with a battery as small as inAccurate's battery (don't want to replace every two years either).

I have heard that some of the Braille batteries have a tendency to die on our cars though, but i'm not sure which battery it was Can't seem to find the thread anymore either. Anybody know? Experience on lightweight batteries dying on anybody in less than two years?

Last edited by lumyeinjun; 05-24-2012 at 07:52 PM.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Light weight batteries haven't really been anything ive looked into. But, ive always needed a battery with a good RC lol. I often keep the radio playing for long periods while working on the car.
As far as problems with the UCM and battery up front....well, mine's a dry cell in the trunk
Old 05-24-2012, 08:29 PM

I have a humongous bosch battery...I don't smell anything odd though...

Quick Reply: The Ultimate Cooling Mod