Twin Turbo-ing the TL

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2005, 10:49 AM
Youse Gots Sacked

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Twin Turbo-ing the TL

ive searched on this forum and i think its just because i can't find the right word choice to search with but....has anyone on this forum Twin Turbo'd our TL...i know that comptech is coming out with the supercharger which will....be insane.....but i was wondering is there enough room in our engine bay for the turbos....etc.....its really a thought in my head for this summer to save up....and get a custom job...
Old 04-24-2005, 10:57 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
auto or manual? Aspec suspension? it would cause bad torque steer i think.
Old 04-24-2005, 10:59 AM
Registered Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
At 17 how are you gonna save up that much money by summer to do it? Cause I want in on it.
Old 04-24-2005, 11:20 AM
Youse Gots Sacked

3 jobs and good tips i think will do the job...lol...and its an AUTO with A-SPEC suspension
Old 04-24-2005, 11:27 AM
Racer

Make sure you set aside some extra cash for a completely rebuilt transmission because if you put that much extra torque through the 5 speed auto, you are going to find yourself stranded on the side of the road within a month!

You'll also notice that you don't see stock 300hp+ FWD cars on the road. That is the point at which the torque steer gets out of control. This is probably not the right car to try and turn into a road rocket.

Just my
Old 04-24-2005, 11:37 AM
Youse Gots Sacked

im assuming its the same with the supercharger?
Old 04-24-2005, 11:56 AM
Banned

You need to build the engine so it wont blow up with all that power from the turbo's.
Old 04-24-2005, 12:20 PM
2016 E350 Sport

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
I don'e get it! All that horsepower will be useless with FWD. These cars are already pushing it with the high compression. The engine and tranny are not designed for a large increase in horsepower. Are you planning on rebuilding the engine with race components?
Old 04-24-2005, 01:01 PM
Youse Gots Sacked

well the summer is coming up and i am definatly getting 3 jobs to put money into my car, i am trying to feel around for what i want, the comptech supercharger seems interesting but comptech is just rediculously expensive....im definatly leaning towards exhaust and intake and possibly a grounding kit.
Old 04-24-2005, 03:57 PM
Racer

I am fully aware that the goals of a 17 year old are definately different than a 35 year old guy, but I just have to ask...

Is your TL leased or purchased? Also, do you have a car loan on it? If so, how much per month and for how long?

If you have a loan, wouldn't it make a lot of sense to pay down the loan so that in a year or two when you decide you want a car like an IS350 (or some other RWD modifiable car), you will have a decent down payment??

Besides, you dump all that extra $$$ into a car to have it push its limits, you won't get any of that back in resale. Potential buyers are very leary of overworked cars as they are less reliable and usually out of warranty.
Old 04-24-2005, 04:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
@ this thread
Old 04-24-2005, 04:08 PM
Youse Gots Sacked

Originally Posted by carguyrob
I am fully aware that the goals of a 17 year old are definately different than a 35 year old guy, but I just have to ask...

Is your TL leased or purchased? Also, do you have a car loan on it? If so, how much per month and for how long?

If you have a loan, wouldn't it make a lot of sense to pay down the loan so that in a year or two when you decide you want a car like an IS350 (or some other RWD modifiable car), you will have a decent down payment??

Besides, you dump all that extra $$$ into a car to have it push its limits, you won't get any of that back in resale. Potential buyers are very leary of overworked cars as they are less reliable and usually out of warranty.
car is fully purchased no payments, got it as a lifetime birthday gift lol......so no need to worry about re-sale i don't plan on selling my car...just having lots of funf with it
Old 04-24-2005, 04:32 PM
Racer

Something tells me you aren't going to have to pay for college either then...

That being said, if you blow up your TL, your parents can probably buy you another one.
Old 04-24-2005, 04:37 PM
Youse Gots Sacked

i hate when people pull these types of reasoning....thats almost like playing the race card.....if you have a wealthy family, i don't see the reason to not be able to buy nice and luxurious things. its all about morals and what your values are. i don't want to start a flamewar with this, but theres nothing wrong with younger kids driving nice cars these days.
Old 04-24-2005, 07:50 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by NFLblitze1
i hate when people pull these types of reasoning....thats almost like playing the race card.....if you have a wealthy family, i don't see the reason to not be able to buy nice and luxurious things. its all about morals and what your values are. i don't want to start a flamewar with this, but theres nothing wrong with younger kids driving nice cars these days.
these kinds of things you just gotta keep on the down low. there's nothing wrong with having a rich family, but these kind of things could piss of people that work 60 hours a week and have driven a car that costs less than my rims..
Old 04-24-2005, 07:57 PM
8th Gear

I agree there is nothing wrong with you receiving an incredible gift from your family if they can afford it, I just think people are angry at the fact that you are talking about doing something so absurd to such a nice car.

First of all, there is no way you are going to be able to fit two turbos, etc. in that engine bay without major mods. With the comptech s/c they already have to move the battery into the trunk.

Second, if by some miracle you did fit two turbos under the hood the amount of power they would produce would pose a bunch of problems such as, no traction ( the wheel wells are not large enough to fit the size tires you would need to hold down that kind of power), a broken transmission, if you do get traction somehow there would be an uncontrollable amount of torque steer, not to mention the inevitable blown engine.

If you are looking for that much more power out of the TL, in order to do it the right way, you are going to be spending upwards of $15,000. To do that kind of modification you must first build the motor.
If you want that much faster of a car for not a lot of money - SELL YOUR CAR!
Get a gt mustang, an STI, or an EVO. They start off much faster and are more mod friendly.
The TL is not meant to be suped up fast and the furious style - it is a classy vehicle.
Old 04-24-2005, 09:21 PM
Racer

true.. if i was your age and had the money, i would build an EVO into a 10 second car.
Old 04-24-2005, 09:33 PM
Banned

I dont think a 17 year old needs a 10 second EVO/
Old 04-24-2005, 09:42 PM
Intermediate

whoa , do you wanna share some of your wealth with those kids in africa , asia no food no educaton , no clothing.,, Shit ,., this fck*g world is unbalanced.. .. and silly kids thinking on how to blow out a tl . . ohh forgot, if you want a nice car get a TVR 350c . will blow a Tl, porsche away WITHOUT ANY BUT ANY MOD... tell daddy to give you 60K Euros for summer , . and call europe
Old 04-24-2005, 09:44 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
if i had a car as nice as the TL when i was 17 i would have left it bone stock. i guess if you have the money and dont mind pissing it away go do your twin turbo and then when the engine and tanny does blow up you will realize that you should have just appreciated the fact you had a brand new car at your age. if you really want a fast car, sell your TL and buy, as mentioned earlier, an STI or evo.
Old 04-24-2005, 09:56 PM
Instructor

Do you need a brother?
Old 04-24-2005, 10:29 PM
6MT & LSD

Originally Posted by cTLgo
@ this thread
Old 04-24-2005, 10:44 PM
6MT & LSD

quit bitching about rich kids driving nice cars. jeez, so they got lucky and born into a wealthy family, and have parents who are willing to pamper them with whatever they want. it's just the way it is - it makes me sick to my stomach when a 16 year old is driving a murcierlago or an SL55 or plenty of other dream cars (and this is a daily occurance... i constantly stop to puke).

but this is a car forum, and the kid just wants to know about twin turbos. i'm sure he picked that up from all the ricers around him... not his fault, entirely.

anyway, any forced induction mod requires an extensive research and engineering... it's never as simple as unscrewing a few bolts and putting in a shiny new metal piece. j32a series motors have a high compression ratio, so turbo's sorta out of the question, hence comptech is working on a supercharger. FI increases the power of the car dramatically, which means you have to make other necessary changes/upgrades. this is why serious car enthusiast have project cars. they know they can only mod their daily drivers so much...
Old 04-24-2005, 11:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

Lets not forgot, appreciation and value is highly important. as he said he gave up lifetime b-day gifts for the car, how sad is it every yr on your b-day your empty handed w/ no gifts? LOL! Lets just hope he's not spoiled and expects to get everything from his parents, how will he make it on his own? and those damn kids w/ mbs sl500 thats just too much, and those damn kids i caught on mtv's super sweet sixteen (i was channel sufering)
Old 04-25-2005, 12:58 AM
6MT & LSD

Originally Posted by VelfarreClubber
(i was channel sufering)
of course you were...
Old 04-25-2005, 07:05 AM
Shift_faster

There is no need for a twin turbo system. (Other than the obvious problem of finding a place for it to fit...a twin turbo system is overkill in a TL).

A single turbo system developed by allmotor_2000 for his CL, makes over 400 whp. Another issue that has not been resolved yet is the inability to change out the headers which is a bottleneck to the system.

For reliability...stick with the CT supercharger. If you are capable of tuning your own car, and getting past the hurdles of the headers situation, try going for allmotor's system. A twin turbo? Unnecessary. And, a waste of money for something that is sure to be unreliable and non-functional.
Old 04-25-2005, 09:00 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
allmotor_2000's turbo system will run you $8000 installed.
Old 04-25-2005, 10:14 AM
master tl

Talking

hhaha come on I know the TL is nice car and not meant to be mod but sometimes kids just wants their car to be different than other and seriously i treat modding as an art..... is the effort that u put in to enjoy your own ride and plus he is just asking for help just tell him how much he can do the job for and that's it for the thread haha

Old 04-25-2005, 10:16 AM
Racer

i seriously believe I am the most blessed kid in the world. I could not be any happier than driving my 1999 TL. Sure a type S would be cool but it would only be another material object that doesnt matter. There's nothing wrong with parents helping their kids, but as long as the kids learn the value of a dollar and learn to be humble. Humility goes a long way in life. It can get you out of a ticket or out of bad situations with others.
ALthough i do agree with the others, enjoy the TL for what it is. Twin turbos is not the setup for the TL. I just turned 18 and I am now saving up money for later on. So i would take the money and invest it in something like Scottrade. I am starting to play with the stock market. INVEST INVEST INVEST sorry for the long post
Old 04-25-2005, 10:53 AM
Racer

And if your parents have the kind of wealth where 35 large is just no big deal, then they are entitled to spend it on their kids.

One expression I heard a number of years back that I love is: "you never see a Brinks truck following a hurst, so you can't take it with you when you leave". If you have more money than you know what to do with, spend some of it and help out the economy! I certainly wouldn't have turn down a new car from my parents at age 17.
Old 04-25-2005, 01:50 PM
Racer

blitz im in ure shoes dont listen to them, at all... ive looked into this for a while now.. u cannot turbo the tl its high compression so it cannot run alot of boost ... second all u fags that say AHHHomg wat a fool 300 hp in a fwd car oooo..... have u ever seen a turboed rsx pushin 500 hp???? or a civic with 450 hp... no torque steer.. adn second off there will be less torque steer with a turbo ina tl becasue of the lag in the start .... after u keep goin i highly doubt there will that much for torque steer... blitz if u need any info im me .. im not as good as the rest of theese people but ill try to help u out my aim name is the same as my forum name...
Old 04-25-2005, 08:06 PM
One on the right for me

Originally Posted by ravingstylez
blitz im in ure shoes dont listen to them, at all... ive looked into this for a while now.. u cannot turbo the tl its high compression so it cannot run alot of boost ... second all u fags that say AHHHomg wat a fool 300 hp in a fwd car oooo..... have u ever seen a turboed rsx pushin 500 hp???? or a civic with 450 hp... no torque steer.. adn second off there will be less torque steer with a turbo ina tl becasue of the lag in the start .... after u keep goin i highly doubt there will that much for torque steer... blitz if u need any info im me .. im not as good as the rest of theese people but ill try to help u out my aim name is the same as my forum name...
One would hope at least English (grammar/spelling, etc) improves with age.
Old 04-27-2005, 09:26 PM
MP90 uninstalled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Fuck'in haters. Some people just have to bring people who have nicer things down to their level. It is caused by a disease called jealousy. Jealousy is caused by a complete lack of maturity and intelligence. It is a simple fact of life that some people have more money than others, age is irrelevant. GET USED TO IT OR YOU WILL LEAD A CRAPPY LIFE! Put your negative energy towards making some money and you just might have something some day.

If you can really afford to do this and it is what you really want out of all the options available, DO IT! I would love to see the, “so called impossible”, Twin Turbo TL! I would even drive to your location just to see it with my own eyes.
Don’t ever let someone tell you something cant be done. Defying that logic has brought many people great things. It would be a crazy sleeper. Make sure you mod the crap out of the suspension, engine mounts, engine, and transmission or you can expect to go through these parts at an astronomically expensive rate.

Jim
Old 04-27-2005, 09:30 PM
One on the right for me

Originally Posted by jproy
Fuck'in haters. Some people just have to bring people who have nicer things down to their level. It is caused by a disease called jealousy. Jealousy is caused by a complete lack of maturity and intelligence. It is a simple fact of life that some people have more money than others, age is irrelevant. GET USED TO IT OR YOU WILL LEAD A CRAPPY LIFE! Put your negative energy towards making some money and you just might have something some day.

If you can really afford to do this and it is what you really want out of all the options available, DO IT! I would love to see the, “so called impossible”, Twin Turbo TL! I would even drive to your location just to see it with my own eyes.
Don’t ever let someone tell you something cant be done. Defying that logic has brought many people great things. It would be a crazy sleeper. Make sure you mod the crap out of the suspension, engine mounts, engine, and transmission or you can expect to go through these parts at an astronomically expensive rate.

Jim
Regardless of what anyone else says about the impossibility of twin turboing the TL if you have the means and the desire it will be pursued....though to my guess wont be possible. I spend a lot of time under TL's and there simply isnt the room...if you want to trash the car to make room for the TL, im all for it. Im not jealous that people have more money than me...im a fucking mechanic who is working my way through law school...i dont expect much right now. Regardless though, that would be cool if you did that because you would have awesome bragging rights...maybe you should just research a single turbo for starters.
Old 04-27-2005, 11:14 PM
Pro

I think the comments made come from the experiences of seeing people who are in the world today expect everything to be handed to them even after they get out into the real world and Mommy and Daddy are gone. I don't care what anyone tells me, nobody "earns" a car at 16 or 17 unless you pay for it with money that you worked for legitimally.

I think you are missing the point. Nobody here is jealous, we all already have TLs, jerkbag.... We are pissed because we have to deal with assholes in the real world that have absolutely no fucking sense whatsoever about the way things work out here because everything was handed to them. I literally have to yell at people like that daily and I'm talking about clients of mine that did not earn their companies, but were born into them.

That said, I'm not saying this is how you or anyone else here act because I don't personally know you or them. I'm just trying to make what the others are trying to say a bit clearer. I also could give a fuck about nice things these people get that they didn't earn because they fold like cheap suits when I'm on the other side of the desk giving them a verbal beating in front of their employees.
Old 04-28-2005, 12:11 AM
One on the right for me

Originally Posted by apwalsh
I think the comments made come from the experiences of seeing people who are in the world today expect everything to be handed to them even after they get out into the real world and Mommy and Daddy are gone. I don't care what anyone tells me, nobody "earns" a car at 16 or 17 unless you pay for it with money that you worked for legitimally.

I think you are missing the point. Nobody here is jealous, we all already have TLs, jerkbag.... We are pissed because we have to deal with assholes in the real world that have absolutely no fucking sense whatsoever about the way things work out here because everything was handed to them. I literally have to yell at people like that daily and I'm talking about clients of mine that did not earn their companies, but were born into them.

That said, I'm not saying this is how you or anyone else here act because I don't personally know you or them. I'm just trying to make what the others are trying to say a bit clearer. I also could give a fuck about nice things these people get that they didn't earn because they fold like cheap suits when I'm on the other side of the desk giving them a verbal beating in front of their employees.
well put
Old 04-28-2005, 02:29 AM
Banned

Defying that logic has brought many people great things. It would be a crazy sleeper. Make sure you mod the crap out of the suspension, engine mounts, engine, and transmission or you can expect to go through these parts at an astronomically expensive rate.

http://c32life.com/movies/jrsc32amg.rm

Here's a sleeper chief.. btw, my next car
Old 04-28-2005, 03:18 AM
Intermediate

Just buy one of these.
Old 04-28-2005, 05:11 PM
Racer

....Make sure you mod the crap out of the suspension, engine mounts, engine, and transmission or you can expect to go through these parts at an astronomically expensive rate.

And let me remind everyone that the original post came from a 17 year old guy that wanted to save money in a summer job to put in this twin turbo upgrade. If you are talking suspension changes, transmission mods, engine upgrades along with two turbos and an intercooler, I am pretty sure that is more than a teenager can pull in working at the GAP for 3 months!
Old 04-28-2005, 05:13 PM
Banned

Jproy, have you seen how much room there is in the engine bay? Its really tight, you couldnt fit two turbos in there anyways. If he has the money to blow on doing some he wants to and really doesnt know much about, let him. Whats it to you, its his parents money anyway. Why would any one be jealous of a 17 year old kid with a 30K car that was givin to him? IMO, I dont think a 16-18 year old should be driving around brand new cars if they havent had any prior experience.

Quick Reply: Twin Turbo-ing the TL