A-SPEC Kit discontinued.

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2005, 12:34 PM
Brother Sum

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A-SPEC Kit discontinued.

I called David McDavid Acura parts department (Austin, TX) to pick up my A-SPEC body kit and he told me that the A-SPEC kits for the TL were discontinued because of 2006 re-designs.

Does anyone know a reliable source that we can confirm this with?
Old 06-26-2005, 01:28 PM
got speed?

I will find out monday-I had not heard of that.

Pierce
Old 06-26-2005, 02:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
I don't buy it, I call
Old 06-26-2005, 03:17 PM
Suzuka Master

Interesting..... With that in mind, how many times have we heard the kit was discontinued?
Old 06-26-2005, 05:56 PM
10th Gear

No More A Spec and 06 news

Just came back from a dealer. He told me that they were discontinuing the A Spec due to low interest from consumers. I also was trying to find out more information about the 06. Due out late September and more information about changes will come out in August. This dealer in Burlingame, CA also said they will not order any more 05’s and will be working thru their inventory waiting for 06.
Old 06-26-2005, 06:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,617 Likes on 2,195 Posts
Originally Posted by manxela
Just came back from a dealer. He told me that they were discontinuing the A Spec due to low interest from consumers. I also was trying to find out more information about the 06. Due out late September and more information about changes will come out in August. This dealer in Burlingame, CA also said they will not order any more 05’s and will be working thru their inventory waiting for 06.
What bad news for those seeking a TL if it is true. And I figured there would be low interest for the A-Spec among the general populace (e.g. those who don't come to this site). Acura needed to make of purchasing the A-Spec suspension a separate option for those of us who don't want the body kit, but need the suspension performance boost.
Old 06-26-2005, 06:18 PM
6MT & LSD

I didn't know dealerships were open on Sundays, manxela. Which one did you go to??
Old 06-26-2005, 06:26 PM
.:KCCO:.

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ndx2
I didn't know dealerships were open on Sundays, manxela. Which one did you go to??
some parts departments arent open on sunday and the mechanics arent there.... but people still buy cars on sunday
Old 06-26-2005, 06:46 PM
Intermediate

I cant imagine Acura making much of a redesign for the 2006 model of the TL, if anything it would be very minor to the interior and exterior. In my opinion, nothing needs to be changed on the outside, it looks very sharp as is, and only minor changes on the interior, mainly on features like making the wheel power, auto headlights, and maybe adjustable pedals. The overall look of the interior looks excellent as well.

And even if the exterior had some significant changes to 2006, why would they discontinue the 2004/2005 a-spec kit so soon? Do dealers keep the kits in stock or need to order them on each request? I wouldn't think they'd keep many in stock if they do have some.
Old 06-26-2005, 07:32 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have heard rumors(here) that the 06 will have a different grill, although I doubt it. Due to the 06 being the same generation of car, the only differences it would have would be those to repair problems, or add a new mandated feature(TPMS ). As for the discontinuation of the Aspec kit, being in low demand makes the most sense, I am yet to see one on the road, I would however not doubt that they have plenty left.
Old 06-26-2005, 08:44 PM
Cruisin'

I hope this in not true I am going to a TL soon and I want the Aspec suspension. Will I still be able to get it?
Old 06-26-2005, 09:13 PM
tehLEGOman

Received 1,983 Likes on 1,336 Posts
Hopefully they're redesigning the front bumper...which would be fantastic!
Old 06-26-2005, 09:41 PM
Safety Car

same discussion happened last year about discontinuing the a-spec and as you all know it was not. we will probably have this discussion again when the 07's come out. the a-spec body kit is nothing but plastic spoiler pieces. it cost so little for them to manufacture and they make a real killing off it once they have the mold. everything after the R&D work for body kits is gravy. just use the 2nd gen TL's for example, they sold the oem kit throughout the life of the car. i think they still sell it to this day new. it would be very silly for them to put the work into a kit and then discontinue it after a couple of years.
Old 06-26-2005, 09:41 PM
Intermediate

auto headlights
Yeah, I was very surprised to find out that they didn't have automatic headlights. Like come on, how much more you it possible cost you to through that it. I wonder if it's possible to add that on as a mod. I suppose it can't be that difficult.
Old 06-26-2005, 09:52 PM
Intermediate

See, I knew there should be a way to add automatic headlights

Automatic Headlights Mod

See, 60 bucks for an aftermarket mod...shame on Acura...

I'll probably give it a try. I'd probably have to figure out a way to get rid of that annoying lights on alarm though...
Old 06-26-2005, 10:45 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by TomTLR
I cant imagine Acura making much of a redesign for the 2006 model of the TL, if anything it would be very minor to the interior and exterior. In my opinion, nothing needs to be changed on the outside, it looks very sharp as is, and only minor changes on the interior, mainly on features like making the wheel power, auto headlights, and maybe adjustable pedals. The overall look of the interior looks excellent as well.

And even if the exterior had some significant changes to 2006, why would they discontinue the 2004/2005 a-spec kit so soon? Do dealers keep the kits in stock or need to order them on each request? I wouldn't think they'd keep many in stock if they do have some.
I just bought my Acura TL and they had to order my A-Spec kit. In fact, I still don't have it. Waiting for it to come in. Supposedly, they said this week. However, this thread is making me a little nervous. If I don't get my A-Spec, I better get my refund to pay down the damn car loan I have.

Acura shouldn't discontinue the A-Spec kit. They should experiment with individual pieces to begin to make some money. Like was stated earlier.....many people want the suspension upgrade, but aren't interseted in the body mods or the wheels.

SAY IT AINT SO!!!!
Old 06-26-2005, 11:01 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Devilsdlg
I just bought my Acura TL and they had to order my A-Spec kit. In fact, I still don't have it. Waiting for it to come in. Supposedly, they said this week. However, this thread is making me a little nervous. If I don't get my A-Spec, I better get my refund to pay down the damn car loan I have.

Acura shouldn't discontinue the A-Spec kit. They should experiment with individual pieces to begin to make some money. Like was stated earlier.....many people want the suspension upgrade, but aren't interseted in the body mods or the wheels.

SAY IT AINT SO!!!!
don't worry it probably won't be discontinued. you will notice that people on this board jump to conclusions pretty fast. you'll get use to it. there is no real evidence and there has been no official announcement. the option is still available when you configure a car on the acura site and in the acura's owner's link.
Old 06-26-2005, 11:45 PM
To punish and enslave

Damnit! No A-Spec kit for 2006? I will be trading my 2004 A-Spec TL for a 2006 TL and I am hoping it comes with some sort of kit. I love the 2004 kit. I hope the minor changes make up for no A-Spec kit.
Old 06-26-2005, 11:57 PM
The Oracle of Acurazine!

Received 44 Likes on 12 Posts
I call it
Old 06-27-2005, 02:26 AM
Comptech Freak

the A-spec is way too expesive

i am not surprised if there are little interest

with the A-spec package with Navi it's the same price as the fully loaded G35 6MT coupe
Old 06-27-2005, 04:22 AM
mio
Police

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
they r gonna re-design the car or the bodykit?
Old 06-27-2005, 07:25 AM
Wants an M3 in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
the car. I think the headlight assembly will have a revamp too. Maybe they will black them out or put black "trim pieces" inside them :wow: that would be cool. Also slight changes in the tail lights ... sort of like the aspec concept ones that we all love!
Old 06-27-2005, 09:42 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
A positive to discontinuing the ASPEC kit - less cars will look like mine!
Old 06-27-2005, 09:52 AM
got speed?

I just checked with my Parts Manager who in turn called the Acura district parts and service manager:

No problems getting the kits for the 05

No confirmation on 06 kit changes

If anyone is having a problem getting a kit through their dealer pm me.

Pierce
Old 06-27-2005, 10:31 AM
Racer

There you have it, now you guys can go change your diapers. =P
Old 06-29-2005, 12:44 AM
mio
Police

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ludachrisvt
the car. I think the headlight assembly will have a revamp too. Maybe they will black them out or put black "trim pieces" inside them :wow: that would be cool. Also slight changes in the tail lights ... sort of like the aspec concept ones that we all love!
they gonna re-design the car?!
Old 06-29-2005, 01:01 AM
Three Wheelin'

I wouldn't be surprised if the next design looks like the concept, and for the a-spec kit, they need better marketing. after i bought the car i found out about the product from here!
Old 06-29-2005, 01:02 AM
To punish and enslave

i should be able to have the 2006 TL book and accessories list in late august/early september, i'll let you guys know what i know, damnit the 06 TL better nice without the kit
Old 06-29-2005, 01:08 AM
Tifa's Fiancé

Originally Posted by samkws
the A-spec is way too expesive

i am not surprised if there are little interest

with the A-spec package with Navi it's the same price as the fully loaded G35 6MT coupe
yeah may be (with a little more for the TL) bc I almost got a fully loaded g35c but was forced to get the TL bc the dealership was out of black g35s. Anyways, the lease price on the two cars are so much different. I think i was looking like 375/month for the g35 and 540 or someting for the tl aspec.
Old 06-29-2005, 01:09 AM
Tifa's Fiancé

Originally Posted by VelfarreClubber
I wouldn't be surprised if the next design looks like the concept, and for the a-spec kit, they need better marketing. after i bought the car i found out about the product from here!
i dont know, the real thing never looks exactly like the concept... may be they will add that chorme piece on the exhaust and minor interior changes like ebrake on the left side?
Old 06-29-2005, 01:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

I like the e-brake on the right side better since it doesn't bother my leg like in other cars i drove and its at a more comfortable place to grab in emergencies.
Old 07-02-2005, 03:15 PM
Advanced

IMHO, Acura has done a piss poor job of marketing the A-Spec. I'm somewhat of a car guy, and I didn't know what A-Spec was until I was looking at the TL in the showroom. How has BMW marketed their "M" cars, Mercedes their AMG, BMW their Dinan, Porsche their Ruf, and Acura has no market awareness?

I know some of the above list are 3rd party shops, however, none of the above do work without full cooperation of the makes.

The full A-spec kit was worth it to me (bought 2). The stance, handling, and overall character of my car (especially sitting next to a standard TL) was hands down worth a bit more on my payment. I get so many compliments from the ricers I see around.

If they want some interest, they should get off their asses and market. BMW 5-Series is around $40K. BMW M5 around $80K. If we could get similar perfomance increases with the A-Spec, we could be on to something good here.
Old 07-02-2005, 03:22 PM
To punish and enslave

Originally Posted by dmsmitty
IMHO, Acura has done a piss poor job of marketing the A-Spec. I'm somewhat of a car guy, and I didn't know what A-Spec was until I was looking at the TL in the showroom. How has BMW marketed their "M" cars, Mercedes their AMG, BMW their Dinan, Porsche their Ruf, and Acura has no market awareness?

I know some of the above list are 3rd party shops, however, none of the above do work without full cooperation of the makes.

The full A-spec kit was worth it to me (bought 2). The stance, handling, and overall character of my car (especially sitting next to a standard TL) was hands down worth a bit more on my payment. I get so many compliments from the ricers I see around.

If they want some interest, they should get off their asses and market. BMW 5-Series is around $40K. BMW M5 around $80K. If we could get similar perfomance increases with the A-Spec, we could be on to something good here.
A-Spec is just a kit, nothing done to the engine unlike AMG/M/Ruf etc. but if honda/acura had support from some of these companies, it would be Mugen/Spoon, correct me if I am wrong
Old 07-02-2005, 04:24 PM
Antracitebony TL

Dude, the 3rd gen TL is fairly a new car and isnt Comptech a certified acura tuner (correct me if im wrong)? Thats exactly what dinan is . ANd the A-spec comes with acura. Dinan is a certified bmw tuner but not all dealerships have dinan parts. Its not like an option. There is no BMW dinan. Dinan is a tuner just like comptech. Just to let you know... (BTW dinan sucks balls. I never put dinan parts on my M3...) But i have to agree with you. Acura needs more tuning to do if they want to compete with the germen
Old 07-02-2005, 04:26 PM
Antracitebony TL

Originally Posted by TL CHROMETIDE
A-Spec is just a kit, nothing done to the engine unlike AMG/M/Ruf etc. but if honda/acura had support from some of these companies, it would be Mugen/Spoon, correct me if I am wrong
I think you and i are in the same page here. But i could careless. the TL is not a car that u try to rice out and show off . However, it would've been nice if the TL had more tuners...
Old 07-03-2005, 12:26 PM
Advanced

That's all I meant. The A-Spec has no brand recognition. The marketing behind it has built no value to consumers. I myself would never have bought one except that mine was on the showroom floor.

If you say Saleen or AMG, most car people automatically think of Fords and Mercedes. I know that the A-Spec package comes from Acura and the other examples are third parties. However, Acura is missing a key demographic IMO.

Here's an example, I was at the dealership buying another TL, and one of the managers was talking about a "rumor" from Acura that around 2007-8, the TL was going to be introduced in something like the S-Type of the 2nd generation. He mentioned 315+ HP with a similar all wheel drive system in the RL. Details were sketchy, and could be dead ass wrong, but during his soliloquy the group turned from just me to about 5 others just evesdropping with excitement.

Acura builds such a quality car that is a tremendous value. There is alot of vehicles in the $40K price range (my A-Spec stickered for $41,800). Still I chose this car. I am the type however, that sees alot of value in performance/aesthetics accesories, and am willing to pay for it.

Just look a Dodge's and Cadillac's success with upping the HP ranges. Car and Driver gushed all over the new Chrysler 300 SVT.
Old 07-03-2005, 12:44 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by TL CHROMETIDE
I agree totally. But even my wife knows the difference between a BMW 325 and M3 (and she'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between a Focus and 360). I would argue that the general populace has never heard of Mugen, Comptech, Dinan, and certainly not A-Spec. Acura just needs to market the A-Spec name. Make it as well known as AMG or M. If they want to sell it successfully for $7,000, they better build $10K worth of percieved value for it.
Old 07-03-2005, 12:56 PM
Antracitebony TL

I agree totally. But even my wife knows the difference between a BMW 325 and M3 (and she'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between a Focus and 360). I would argue that the general populace has never heard of Mugen, Comptech, Dinan, and certainly not A-Spec. Acura just needs to market the A-Spec name. Make it as well known as AMG or M. If they want to sell it successfully for $7,000, they better build $10K worth of percieved value for it.
I agree with this comment. Acura tried to replace type s with a-spec. I believe they thought about honda's j-spec before they came out with this name. But the new rims, suspension, and the big brake kits are def worth it. But i think they should just make this another option (like a sport package). I know that is what nissan and inifiniti does. Well like i said dinan cant be compared with amg, saleen, or type-s for its a tuner. If u are looking for a acura dinan then u have to look at comptech. Besides their supercharger is coming out.
Old 07-07-2005, 01:43 PM
Chief

Every one just needs to sit back and relax for the 2007-2008 models. I've got the inside scoop already but it's on the DL. I already have the rear sidemarkers that fit perfectly that are the smoked color just like the fronts. There are major changes to the body, headlights, tailights...that's all I can say. But I'm the only one in the US rollin with the new sidemarkers. Damn they look tight on my WDP.
Old 07-07-2005, 03:02 PM
To punish and enslave

A-Spec is nothing but a fancy name for Sports Package...thats it

Quick Reply: A-SPEC Kit discontinued.